Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Panfilo posted:

Conversely, I've heard ex military/ex convicts tend to be very fastidious with their personal surroundings, because of their living arrangements.

Dude in an Ask/Tell thread about prison said that every prisoner would clean their cell to make it spotless multiple times a day as part of their routine.
I guess when you have a lot of time and it's one of the few parts of your surroundings you can influence, you want it perfectly clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Panfilo posted:

Vaguely related, but when I was in middle school my mom got me a nice desk for my room. I really liked the desk, and had it through high school, college, and every place I lived on my own up to being married.

A year into our marriage, my wife was getting pretty tired of the desk. It was quite worn out at that point, drawers were just stuffed full of random knickknacks I never used, and too small to fit a monitor and keyboard easily. Wife suggested I get rid of it and replace it with a much bigger, nicer desk, and sort through all the junk in the drawers and organize stuff in a new desk. As silly as this sounds, it caused me to get really upset; the desk was the only piece of furniture that came from my previous home, the only thing that followed me through six moves in five years, and I couldn't bear to part with it.

I finally did relent, and I'm much happier with a bigger, more organized desk but the point is I can see how these hoarders can develop unhealthy attachments to objects. Stuff might be associated with a late spouse or parent, a familiar sight or smell that might be comforting to the hoarder. A common problem with hoarders seems to be a fear of change.

I'm not a hoarder, but I do have a hoarding tendency, and yeah sentimental attachment to stuff is a pretty big factor in it. Which I think is okay, provided you have a place for everything to go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm not a hoarder, but I do have a hoarding tendency, and yeah sentimental attachment to stuff is a pretty big factor in it. Which I think is okay, provided you have a place for everything to go.

That place is the skip :mmmhmm:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Does anyone have a link to the last thread?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Unsure if Hoarder I-Spy was the last thread about hoarding or not, but here you go.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unsure if Hoarder I-Spy was the last thread about hoarding or not, but here you go.

Totally forgot about that. That was an awesome thread!!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jerry Cotton posted:

I save plastic yogurt cups to use when painting with water colours and stuff. I think the lesson here is that if saving plastic food containers seems like hoarding to you, you buy way too many things that come in plastic containers and are literally killing the human race and a lot of animals as well :tipshat:

I suck at painting so maybe I should stop saving the cups though.

I paint at most twice a month, and I eat yogurt every day. Fortunately, I can recycle the yogurt containers, which are already made from recycled plastic, so even though it's not perfectly efficient and could/should be better, I don't have a house filled with plastic cups and I rejoice in that.

I cannot wait for grocery stores to stop using styrofoam packing for meat, poultry, and fish, because my city doesn't recycle that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

I paint at most twice a month, and I eat yogurt every day. Fortunately, I can recycle the yogurt containers, which are already made from recycled plastic, so even though it's not perfectly efficient and could/should be better, I don't have a house filled with plastic cups and I rejoice in that.

I cannot wait for grocery stores to stop using styrofoam packing for meat, poultry, and fish, because my city doesn't recycle that.

If I ate yogurt every day I'd probably buy the cartons or, better yet, the buckets instead of cups. Anyway, yogurt cups stack so twenty of them take up exactly the same space in my cupboard as one of them. Right now I have like three I think because they turn a bit brittle at some point. Welp that's my yogurt vessel story god bless America.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My morning breakfast is yogurt in granola but the kind I buy does not come in large containers since it's a small local company.
Maybe I should write them about it.

My first roommate in college would eat huge bowls of cereal for breakfast/lunch before class and leave the bowl of milk on the counter next to the sink.
He would "recycle" the milk up to three days in a row. He has a child now, god help them all.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

My first roommate in college would eat huge bowls of cereal for breakfast/lunch before class and leave the bowl of milk on the counter next to the sink.
He would "recycle" the milk up to three days in a row. He has a child now, god help them all.

Holy poo poo :barf:

Not that it would help much but didn't he even put it in the fridge?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

My morning breakfast is yogurt in granola but the kind I buy does not come in large containers since it's a small local company.

Did the "child" grow out of the bowl?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Inzombiac posted:

Get the gently caress outta here, I lived in an overcrowded punk house for nearly 3 years and that poo poo makes me gag

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I went through a phase of watching those Hoarder programmes, I can't remember which particular one it was but there was one where a crazy cat lady had a room she could no longer access due to all the poo poo she also hoarded, and the cats used it as a birthing room. I guess she still chucked stuff in there because when they went to clean it out they kept finding dead kittens. :( As they dug deeper and deeper these poor little kittens got flatter and flatter, until they kind of resembled furry little drinks coasters. And then it was almost almost comical.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rondette posted:

I went through a phase of watching those Hoarder programmes, I can't remember which particular one it was but there was one where a crazy cat lady had a room she could no longer access due to all the poo poo she also hoarded, and the cats used it as a birthing room. I guess she still chucked stuff in there because when they went to clean it out they kept finding dead kittens. :( As they dug deeper and deeper these poor little kittens got flatter and flatter, until they kind of resembled furry little drinks coasters. And then it was almost almost comical.

I've never seen a full episode of it, because I saw the clip where the hoarder in question kept her dead cats in her fridge (where she also kept her food) and breaks down as she describes how she does it because her pets are all she has and she can't let them go, then after that the cleaners find a decomposing kitten sealed in a ziploc bag in a closet. It was one of the most miserable things I have ever seen and left me with absolutely zero appetite to watch any more. :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp gently caress that guess I'm not watching Hoarders anytime soon :gonk:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never seen a full episode of it, because I saw the clip where the hoarder in question kept her dead cats in her fridge (where she also kept her food) and breaks down as she describes how she does it because her pets are all she has and she can't let them go, then after that the cleaners find a decomposing kitten sealed in a ziploc bag in a closet. It was one of the most miserable things I have ever seen and left me with absolutely zero appetite to watch any more. :smith:

This is a thing I don't understand about the hoarder mindset. If the cats were "all she had" and "she can't let them go", then how/why did she neglect them so? If you care about something, least of all a living thing, you take care of it.

You don't just go "welp, its dead, chuck it in a bag and throw it in the closet. That's how much I care about it."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Untreated mental illness is a bitch.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a thing I don't understand about the hoarder mindset. If the cats were "all she had" and "she can't let them go", then how/why did she neglect them so? If you care about something, least of all a living thing, you take care of it.

You don't just go "welp, its dead, chuck it in a bag and throw it in the closet. That's how much I care about it."

Why, it's almost like mental illnesses can make people behave irrationally

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Get the gently caress outta here, I lived in an overcrowded punk house for nearly 3 years and that poo poo makes me gag

I have as well and the worst problem there was late night parties and stale beer cans everywhere.
This dude also cheated on his fiance and severed our friendship because I refused to keep his secret and encouraged him to come clean. Now he has a baby with a girl I used to date and he made fun of me because she was "too dumb to function".
gently caress 'em.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I have as well and the worst problem there was late night parties and stale beer cans everywhere.
This dude also cheated on his fiance and severed our friendship because I refused to keep his secret and encouraged him to come clean. Now he has a baby with a girl I used to date and he made fun of me because she was "too dumb to function".
gently caress 'em.

I know your friend and he wanted me to tell you he appreciates you leaving everything past 3" in "like new" condition

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Heh, 3" on a good day. That's why I'm such a rampant bigot. Because of my tiny penis.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, a lot of us have lived in disgusting punk houses for years. Mine was in Chicago. We had something like 15 roommates funneling in and out in a 2 bedroom row house.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
So for side money I clean houses/organize. I did hoarder-level things, but now I just handle over-cluttered homes (most common being families that have a toddler + newborn or such, or people who have just downsized). What I find ALL the time though are the following:

1. Restaurant condiment packets. Why are they in your bedroom? Why do you need honey mustard behind your toilet?
2. Loose change everywhere. Everywhere. Either stick it in a jar or spend it.
3. loving FUNKO POPS. WHY.
4. Bottle caps or soda tops. People save these. I cannot tell you why.
5. Piles of things you never wanted in the first place--old office party gifts, McDonald's toys, shirts from your mom that never fit, etc.

And finally, papers. Tons of papers. I recommend Marie Kondo to everyone if only for her section on how to handle papers.

I will say this about hoarder houses though--ever walk past an apartment or house that has a weird tinny smell? Like metallic, oily mud? That's cockroaches. A lot of cockroaches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FearCotton posted:

And finally, papers. Tons of papers. I recommend Marie Kondo to everyone if only for her section on how to handle papers.

Very carefully?

e: oh and if soda top means the pull-rings then there's a persistent urban myth that you can donate them to charity. Yes.

ee: "100 pull tabs have a scrap metal value of about 3¢" (from http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Nov 10, 2016

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
Both pull tabs and twist-off soda caps. Generally though they're scattered about. This is different from used toliet paper rolls, which people also keep for some future craft.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

FearCotton posted:

4. Bottle caps or soda tops. People save these. I cannot tell you why.

They are just fans of the Fallout series who are prepared for the coming Trumpocalypse!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Rondette posted:

I watched one recently with a woman who had 10 dogs, one of whom needed daily medication (later stated to be a laxative) because he didn't have a liver or something? That was the reason she gave. Anyway she gives the dog the medication, licks the medication dispenser and realizes she just gave her dog her own dose of prozac. So many levels of :gonk:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Also it turned out the dog did have a liver and should not have been on that medication like, at all, let alone on an ongoing basis.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

FearCotton posted:

about hoarder houses though--ever walk past an apartment or house that has a weird tinny smell? Like metallic, oily mud? That's cockroaches. A lot of cockroaches.

There's also a hint of urine/diarrhea. Eau de roach. As far as I recall roaches piss and poo poo when they walk to make a smelly trail for other roaches to follow. gently caress if I'm gonna look that up for factuality though, if I see a roach I will scream so loud the whole building will hear.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Dude in an Ask/Tell thread about prison said that every prisoner would clean their cell to make it spotless multiple times a day as part of their routine.
I guess when you have a lot of time and it's one of the few parts of your surroundings you can influence, you want it perfectly clean.

Can confirm.

Although the multiple cleanings daily stem from prison being a generally dirty place, not to mention that where I was (Florida), you could get in trouble for having a dirty living area.

Strangely enough, there was a guy I knew that lived in one of our dorms that was actually a hoarder. Everyone had their own footlocker, top bunk had theirs at the foot of the bunk bed, bottom bank's was at the head. Anyways, this guy's was at the foot, and one day as I was walking past, I happened to glance down and see that it was over filled with old empty cigarette packs, about 15 lighters, 5 or 6 empty deodorant sticks, random clothing like socks and underwear that were yellowed to the shade of nicotine stains (both of which are white when issued to you) and various other things.

This same person never would wash his sheets/pillowcase, so those too were yellowed and stained to hell and back.

After a while, the guy that had the bunk under his got tired of him being disgusting and told him to either clean his poo poo, request a bunk change, or take an rear end kicking a day until he made up his mind. He promptly checked into protective custody.

I'd imagine that his home on the outside would be perfect fodder for this thread.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if we have medication that can keep dogs alive with no liver why don't they make it for humans too

probably puritan shaming against alcoholics

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

quote:

never would wash his sheets/pillowcase, so those too were yellowed and stained to hell and back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's a hotel room, right?
I vaguely remember the story.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If I remember rightly that brown stuff is hair dye as opposed to diarrhea. The story I heard to go along with it was it was a mum and daughter who were in a hotel for teh weekend beauty pageant and needed to dye/tan themselves to teh absurd levels that those girls go to.

Doesn't make the rest of the room less filthy, just a little more palatable/understandable.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Why would anyone need that many plastic bags in a hotel for a weekend

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Maybe it's all the different costumes/makeup, if it's from a beauty pageant thing. Gotta bring everything in case someone else has the same outfit!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Mine is a combination of that and "oh but what if I need this someday?"

"I might end up needing this" is why I have a box full of computer cables that weighs ~55 pounds in my closet. I can't help it. Will I ever really need a 50-foot parallel printer cable? Aside from the chance of John Titor arriving from the future looking for legacy technology in order to save the world, I can't think of a single reason I should be keeping the drat thing. I don't even own a computer or a printer that has a parallel port.

But hey, I might need it someday :v:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I've trained myself to just throw things out the moment I start thinking "well, I might need it at some point".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Mine is a combination of that and "oh but what if I need this someday?"

"I might end up needing this" is why I have a box full of computer cables that weighs ~55 pounds in my closet. I can't help it. Will I ever really need a 50-foot parallel printer cable? Aside from the chance of John Titor arriving from the future looking for legacy technology in order to save the world, I can't think of a single reason I should be keeping the drat thing. I don't even own a computer or a printer that has a parallel port.

But hey, I might need it someday :v:

Having a box of cables is not half as worrying as having weighed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Having a box of cables is not half as worrying as having weighed it.

I needed to verify that the floors could handle the weight of the box, my new bed, and your mother all at once

• Locked thread