Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Vaguely related, but when I was in middle school my mom got me a nice desk for my room. I really liked the desk, and had it through high school, college, and every place I lived on my own up to being married.

A year into our marriage, my wife was getting pretty tired of the desk. It was quite worn out at that point, drawers were just stuffed full of random knickknacks I never used, and too small to fit a monitor and keyboard easily. Wife suggested I get rid of it and replace it with a much bigger, nicer desk, and sort through all the junk in the drawers and organize stuff in a new desk. As silly as this sounds, it caused me to get really upset; the desk was the only piece of furniture that came from my previous home, the only thing that followed me through six moves in five years, and I couldn't bear to part with it.

I finally did relent, and I'm much happier with a bigger, more organized desk but the point is I can see how these hoarders can develop unhealthy attachments to objects. Stuff might be associated with a late spouse or parent, a familiar sight or smell that might be comforting to the hoarder. A common problem with hoarders seems to be a fear of change.

Conversely, I've heard ex military/ex convicts tend to be very fastidious with their personal surroundings, because of their living arrangements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
These hoards are so disorganized. I pretty much never see situations where a house is full of meticulously organized things. If people were really sincere that they wanted to save stuff for a particular purpose it wouldn't end up in filthy heaps.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dooky Dingo posted:

I would legitimately be interested to see the evolutionary path this secluded ecosystem would take after 1000 generations.
You've stumbled upon the dog-galapagos...

:same: What kind of intrigue happened involving so many pack animals trapped in a house? Is this basically Game of Thrones but with dogs?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The_end posted:

It was a survival of the fittest situation. I am sure if this pack of dogs got out and came across a small child. The dogs would of torn it apart.

"They reached out their paws, as if to beg, 'save us!' and I replied, 'WOOF' "

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Who own hoardertown?

• Locked thread