Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I just bought a used vehicle from a dealership, and within days my mailbox was full of extended warranty spam. It's mildly annoying, but mainly I'm curious how these companies got my name and address, along with the make and model of the vehicle I just bought/registered.

Googling this, it seems that people are unsure whether vehicle registration records are publically available (how? I don't exactly see a link to "find out who registered cars recently" on the Florida DMV website), or that this info is sold to them (by whom?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

All dealerships have an elite group of agents tasked with following and spying on anybody who buys a used car, and forwarding their information to spammers.

Really though, they're probably publically available through some process involving physical records and filling out a form at some city or state building. Alternatively the dealership/a guy at the dealership makes some extra cash from selling the info, or potentially the state/a guy working for the DMV I guess.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They are mostly scams and almost 100% of them are violating FCC telemarketing rules

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/auto-warranty-scams

I'm still trying to find an article somewhere about how they get your info that I read a long time ago.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Going to guess the dealership. They probably sell the information and/or get a cut if someone buys an extended warranty. Wouldn't surprise me, car dealers in my experience have been scummy as hell.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Stanos posted:

Going to guess the dealership. They probably sell the information and/or get a cut if someone buys an extended warranty. Wouldn't surprise me, car dealers in my experience have been scummy as hell.

The car is certified pre-owned from an official Honda dealership so I think this is unlikely. Not that I think manufacturer dealers can't be scummy, but this seems like they'd have a lot to lose if they got caught and not much to gain. Especially when it comes to a customer that just drove away with a manufacturer's warranty.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 30, 2015

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Doctor Butts posted:

They are mostly scams and almost 100% of them are violating FCC telemarketing rules
That only applies to phone calls, not mail.

Nothing can save you from junk mail.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The dealership sold your info to them.

The fact that it was an authorised dealership means nothing. They are still every bit as scummy as Demented Dan's Discount Driveaways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've gotten this spam after in-family title transfers. I don't know if it's the county, DMV, or insurance selling the information, but there's no dealer involved in that chain.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've gotten this spam after in-family title transfers. I don't know if it's the county, DMV, or insurance selling the information, but there's no dealer involved in that chain.
It would make a lot of sense for it to be the insurance company. Did you have to start a new policy after transferring the vehicle? Did you shop for insurance online? I did and you give a whole lot of information to people who don't have any reason not to sell it in the process.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
No I added the vehicle to an existing policy. USAA doesn't seem like the kind of company to do that sort of thing either, but I might be giving them too much credit.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
dude car history reports and title changes are p easy to get if you care about them and getting an email address from a name is also easy

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm still getting extended warranty offers for my car. Most of them with scary WARNING YOUR WARRANTY WON'T COVER YOUR DRIVESHAFTS OR 4WD SYSTEM111!!!1!1!!!1!

I bought it 3 years ago. It has almost 130k on it. Nuff said. I've always gotten the same poo poo after a private party purchase too, so someone is watching public records.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

OneEightHundred posted:

Not quite true. If it has your name (not "Current Resident") and your address (you can't block Every Door Direct Mail), and the sender's address, you can file a Prohibitory Order with the USPS to legally force a company to stop sending you advertisements. If it doesn't have the sender's address, you have to jump through a few hoops to find out their actual mailing address using the city and mailing permit number.

The USPS has every incentive to reject your form and/or neglect to enforce it, however, and they are notorious for their complete lack of enthusiasm with regard to punishing repeat offenders.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Wrong tab nothing to see here

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I've gotten these after moving to a different state and changing my registration while keeping the same insurance. They are pulling from public records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

OneEightHundred posted:

You could always blow up your mailbox.

• Locked thread