Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Psion posted:

probably a worse pension plan though!

:thejoke: I'm sure

In the cartoon shipwreck also goes totally insane from some COBRA mind control scheme that I don't remember the specifics of, but watching it again as an adult (I'm 35 now, and this was maybe 12 years ago) it's pretty clear that they were alluding to DTs. At least that's how I viewed it. At the very least the episode got way heavier thematically than what I thought the show was capable of. When going back to my childhood favorites I've found that Transformers the (1986) Movie is still great, but the show pretty much sucks, whereas G.I. Joe The Movie was terrible (many reasons, some actually from the backlash to Transformers) but the show and comics kicked rear end. Anyway, I wasn't well to do and it was mainly Go-Bots and bits and pieces from other stuff. That said, and I'm sure a lot of y'all can agree, it was way more fun with a hodge-podge of stuff anyway (Han and Chewie flying a beat up snowspeeder into Castle Greyskull to blow up that weird fuzzy insect hand puppet thing and its rider that I got from a yard sale, but then Cy-Kill and Leader One swoop in and are somehow buds and then the giant cardboard base I made gets lit on fire because mom left her lighter out, but it's on the porch so gently caress it, now let's bust out fireworks!!!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. I always thought "The Prisoner" was the show the "The Fugitive" was based on, but Netflix says its scifi. When I'm finally back to a place with wifi, I need to check that out, late sixties BBC stuff is usually pretty good (I have no comment on Dr. Who, I mean the Avengers and a few others).
On the second point, as everyone already knows, in the early '80's the FCC tossed out the law banning cartoons from being glorified 22 minute commercials for toys, so yeah, toy companies went ape poo poo. Only difference between then and now is how blatant it was. With few exceptions, I think we didn't really get a decent (superhero/mainstream action)cartoon until the early '90's Batman, which still had toys but didn't seem like it's only reason for being was to sell toys.
Oh, and I saw the huge Infinity display in Target the other day, and that looks like a cluster gently caress, but also expensive, and probably fun. I dunno, but it was definetly made by children of the eighties. If you'll excuse me now, my daughter and I are going to make stop-motion movies with about forty five years of accumulated crap, keeping the tradition alive!!!

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Nomad175 posted:

Trust me when I say The Prisoner and The Fugitive have nothing to do with each other.

Actually, The Fugitive was loosely based on a real murder case (although the guy in question, Dr. Sam Shepherd, was never actually on the run from the law)

I'm familiar with the Shefered case and The Fugitive, just had crossed wires in my memory conflating poo poo. Like I said, as soon as I get home tomorrow I'm checking out The Prisoner, it sounds like my poo poo completely.

E: ^Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone. Also, has anyone done a LR of early Punisher? I found a bunch of The Punisher Magzine, which I'm sure are just B&W reprints, two at a time, in larger magazine form of early stuff, but what's weird is that in the copyright no mention is made of when the stories were originally published, which Marvel has always done. The mags I have have are from '89 to '91, but I'm sure it's earlier stuff because it's all Mike Zeck and Whilce Portacio art. Point being, anyone read the issue where Frank pursues a cartel into Mexico, meets a shaman, takes peyote, has hosed up visions/flashbacks, then (while still tripping fuckin' balls) fights off the cartel with a Sharps rifle and a cannon from "la conquistadores?" It's not terribly compelling now, but it was a straight mind-gently caress to an eight year old.

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 27, 2016

• Locked thread