Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

This thread is my safe space.

yeah, all respect to cyrano for sacrificing himself for the greater good (or uh, something) but this is a Good Let's Read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cutter is the angriest Coastie ever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

well it explains why he's so gung-ho (oh wait that name is taken) to get into the Joes. Anything to avoid the band, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

He got a pretty badass chainsaw out of it. I guess when you go in, you go all-in.

but yes some of those are descriptions, but they don't seem to have any relevance to the comics whatsoever? They're just Cobra Biker Gang Because Why Not, it seems like.

also I can't remember if someone made this joke but the Cobra fake name schemes are all about as clever as Ortsac, which I find funny.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

Remember that kid? You'd better check the first thread!

I didn't mind spending the time to re-read the first thread. Here's issue #10, for anyone who's too lazy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

How did I miss this update? Good poo poo.

Also, add one to the "Holy poo poo, he DID just kill that guy" counter. How many are we up to now? As in not generic goons, but named characters with dialogue?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

Well would you look at that. Fred's OK after all. Gosh, I just love a happy ending, don't you?

I'm sure this has no repercussions whatsoever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I like how - because this is GI Joe - even that panel includes a knife and a gun. No panel with Roadblock can be unarmed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

infrared35 posted:

One thing that stuck with me from the comics was a scene where a couple Joes (maybe Rock and Roll and Breaker?) stop at a gas station to fuel up and the kid working there is impressed with them and the equipment and he wants to know what he can do to sign up. The Joes basically tell him to get hosed, with one of them later saying to the other something to the effect of, "he just wanted to get out of his small-town dead-end job and that's not the kind of person we want" or some bullshit.

Nice recruiting pitch, assholes.

Would you have preferred the truth?

"You gotta want to be the BEST OF THE BEST at being marketable as defined by Hasbro or else you're not a real Joe."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Dark Project posted:

If you haven't done it already for the last thread, I can really recommend the issue "Silent Interlude". No dialogue, all visual story telling. One of the best comics I think I have seen of the 80's.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604646&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post428970009

Yep, in the old thread. So good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Young Freud posted:

In the cartoon, Shipwreck at one point is going through a Cobra barracks and picks up some marketing material and realizes that Cobra has a better healthcare plan than the Joes do.

probably a worse pension plan though!

I'm sure

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

One way or another, the work situation will eventually sort itself out, and I'll free up some time to get back to weekly updates, but until then things will be sporadic as all get out. I appreciate whatever patience you can give me.

I don't care if you have to start a new thread for every update, they're worth reading. LW might care, I guess, though

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hah, well done.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Did we demand it, though? Did we really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MrTuffPaws posted:

That carrier in the last panel, they made a toy of it. It was a way to ID every rich spoiled kid in the US.

man, was it ever

but it was cool as hell when that kid was your friend

• Locked thread