Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love this game so much. And Donkey Kong games in general. Happy the thread is finally up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The answer:

Samus's spaceship is tangled up in the trees in the background. It's right in the center of that picture.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The planes aren't necessarily explained but the plot of the game is that we are not on DK island right now. Instead, we've been blown away by the vikings in the intro to some other island chain and need to get back to DK Island to beat them up and take back our home.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There's actually an Enguarde crate at the start of Poison Pond if you swim through the left wall. I think he's actually in every water level at some point along the way.

Watching you handle Trick Track Trek was painful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

He's heavy but that doesn't actually affect his jump height or the speed he falls. Being heavy just means he can defeat those bulky blue kremlings and can't be thrown far.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Donkey Kong Land was the first major game I owned (the others were Tetris and Galaga/Galaxian) and I absolutely loved it as a kid. It's probably the game that turned me on to platformers in general and the reason I wanted an SNES with DKC so badly when I was 6.

I recognize now that it has aged pretty poorly but there are a few unique ideas in it that never returned to the series. The music wasn't half-bad either. I barely remember DKL2 and DKL3. Despite owning them they didn't make as big an impact in my memory.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Crumble Cavern is one of my favorite levels in this game. I've always loved barrel cannon levels since I was a kid playing the series and that level was just really enjoyable to play since I like them so much. As far as I know there is no puzzle piece for getting all the bananas at the end spiral because you can't fire the barrel fast enough to get them all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's still situational, but Dixie's super move is actually the most useful one. She gives hearts, yes, but the hearts are actually Golden Hearts that stack on top of your normal ones. Get enough and you could feasibly have 8 health in a given level.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just realized that DKC2 was the first introduction in the series to water in levels. What I mean is, DKC water levels were exclusively water levels. There was no getting out of the water and walking around until DKC2 and its water levels.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

But artix, without lives what else is there left to collect??????

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Irate Eight was one of the hardest levels for me to beat when I played through the game for the first time. The timing gets really tight and you can see there's not much room to maneuver when you're trying to outrun the ink.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's funny, Rambi has actually been in fewer games than Enguarde has.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So at some point while I was talking with Artix, I decided to take a peek into the very small world of DKC2 romhacking. The editor is interesting but lacks some major features like foreground tile or collision layer modification. It is, however, able to modify any sprite or object into another and you can also edit the internal properties of those objects. I've been working on a couple levels in my spare time and finished a quick and dirty Toxic Tower mod.

Artix refused to play it on camera so instead I recorded it on my own.

It's a little more challenging than the original but I don't think by much. I tried to be fair by making the DK barrels more accessible or by adding that invincibility barrel in the squawks section so the player could speed past a time-consuming part and have more time for the Squitter part.

If nothing else, making this level taught me how the majority of barrel cannons work and I was able to document them, so at least something good came from it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EDIT: ^That's really interesting FPzero. I saw a couple weeks back you tried you did the Squawks section of Animal Antics with Squitter as well. Are you thinking of making a hack?

Doubtful. Time requirements aside, the editor is not really powerful enough to do true romhacks. You can't modify actual level terrain, meaning your limited to only changing enemies and objects within the established levels. I'll probably keep messing around with it though, it's interesting to me to learn the ins and outs of games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No, the bonus is accessible, I just didn't go for it. And yeah, it's mostly unchanged because there's really not much I could do with the sections. Getting Rambi to move vertically required many barrels and I didn't have enough objects to use so he was cut short.

Eh. It's not great but I blame editor limitations more than anything else.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Having only watched the first video, the music in Cog Jog is definitely from the DKC Floating Walkway caves. (I just realized there are like, three types of cave in that game: Actual caves, the walkways and then the mines.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The bat was a cool as hell setpiece and my only complaint about him comes from the end segment where he tracks your movement. It's not an easy section when you're on the rocketbarrel and everything else in rocketbarrel sections is precisely timed and positioned.

That said, if they hadn't gone with the snowball setpiece here I wouldn't have minded a bat-redux.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I actually really love that final boss fight, though I will make an exception for the purple clouds part. It's a really tough final part of a long fight and yeah, it's a lot of stuff to repeat. It's all worth it in the end though because that cutscene of DK uppercutting K. Rool through the ceiling of the helicopter is awesome.

The blue clouds freeze you in place, essentially forcing you to take a hit from K Rool as he passes by. The red clouds actually give you a low gravity effect, making it hard to precisely jump between those three slow cannonballs. I think they both wear off with time but in the blue one's case I think the timer last longer than it would take for K Rool to hit you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love how K. Rool's gun is full of fish after his trip into the ocean.

Also, since my name came up regarding DKC2 hacking, a couple weeks ago I did a horrible thing.

I regret everything. This was true brutality.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think there's a pretty good chance that's David Wise himself playing the saxophone in the ending arrangement of Stickerbrush Symphony.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The jumps on his back are actually quite difficult to hit and if you don't manage to hit him three times in one cycle, you're going another round with him. By the end of the fight, when he dashes across very fast and the window to hit him is very slim, you miss the hits more than you get them. Couple this with the long attack pattern and the fact that his third phase attack patterns have a pretty good chance of killing you if you don't time your jumps correctly and it's just really disheartening when you die on the final hit.

Artix's fight actually went really well and made him look tolerable. I'd chalk it mostly up to experience. My first one against him didn't and if I remember old skype conversations correctly, Artix's first fight went worse than mine. It's a really challenging boss the first time you fight him and remains decently challenging even once you know all his tricks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thread, I would like to present yet another exhibit in this war trial. The following videos will provide the evidence needed to prove that the defendent, Donkey Kong, is the true war criminal of the Kong Islands.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat came out for the Gamecube in 2005 and used a very special controller as its primary method of controlling the game. Namely, it used the DK Bongos controller that Nintendo had made for their Donkey Konga rhythm game series.

You'd think using a rhythm game controller with just two buttons and a clap sensor to control a platformer with a decently high skill ceiling would go poorly and yet, I can't imagine playing the game without it. Once you get the hang of using the controller, you'll find yourself able to pull off all sorts of stylish tricks and combos to get the highest banana scores and do...whatever it is DK is looking to accomplish. The game never really makes it clear what the plot is and neither does the game's manual. Best we can figure, DK has set his eyes on becoming King of the Jungle and he'll beat up anything and everything in his path to accomplish that. Maybe even establish his banana hoard at the same time.

Join myself, Artix, and some rotating guests for a fun ride as we watch DK establish his dominion over the kingdoms on land, in the sea, the air, and maybe even in space too.

World 1 - with guests Blastinus and Ryushikaze
World 2-1 - with guests Blastinus and poorlywritten
World 2-2 - with guests Blastinus and poorlywritten
World 3-1 - with guests poorlywritten and Ryushikaze
World 3-2 - with guest Ryushikaze
World 4-1 - with guest poorlywritten
World 4-2 - with guest Tyty

FPzero fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 21, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Grapplejack posted:

Jungle beat is pretty rad, but the bongos are extremely loving loud and obnoxious.

The bongos you hear are an ingame sound effect and I cannot do anything about them. They are not the sounds of me slamming the bongo controller with almighty gusto.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Digital Jello posted:

I like the psychedelic fruit trip of DKC Returns better aesthetically, but the DKCTF ones look like they're more challenging. I get Sky Garden (Marble Garden? whatever) vibes from those old Sonic games when I see the background environment.

Sky Sanctuary, probably.

I wish there was more to the secret world because, while there's more levels than in DKCR, three instead of one makes it really feel like a half-world. Not to mention that the platforming involved in them is really pretty interesting. I'd forgotten how challenging 7-1 was but it looks so cool when you manage to get through the whole thing as platforms are flying all over the place.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Time to continue our rampage, this time with conscription.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Only the first half of world 3 today. It has too much content to put out all in one update.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cartheon posted:

For those unaware, K2 is the second tallest peak in the world. It has that name because it is so remote that they couldn't find a local name for it.

As for the Sky High Secret in Mekanos, it's hanging on a rope from the crane. You can see where the cave used to be in the ground, because there is a hole under it, but they yanked it up.

You know, I never noticed that rope in all my years playing the game. I just thought it was a floating platform and that didn't strike me as odd because Platformers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Since I mentioned it in the video, I thought I'd take a few pictures of the DKC3 Player's Guide I have to show it off. It's really well done, like many Player's Guides Nintendo Power used to make themselves. It's been very well used and read over the years.

I love those full-color maps. They were so helpful to 7-year old me, especially when it came to finding the Bonus rooms.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A Kong's home is his castle, but that never stopped DK.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Except even that doesn't work to my knowledge because the green Buzzes in the GBA version stop the momentum of the steel barrel if the barrel defeats one.

fake edit: I take it all back, just went to test it and rolling on the steel barrel at full speed will take you through that entire enemy gauntlet without getting hurt. That's actually pretty neat.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Now featuring outtakes!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While Gear Getaway is definitely a better song overall, I think the track that plays in Rocket Rush does a good job of providing a good sense of tension and haste as you play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgaA_SocCw

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And that's it for Jungle Beat! Hope you all enjoyed it.

I have one more video I want to try and put up but it'll take a day or two to prepare. Should be up by Sunday.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY TO CALL IT THE INTERKONGTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING I'M SO MAD AT MYSELF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

i want that week back tyty

• Locked thread