Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

BT Sport are doing a countdown of the 10 best fights of the year. They're English though so Bisping/Dolloway made it on. However the rest are very cool and they have neat highlight videos up for each one, here is a link to Arlovski/Browne. I forgot how amazing it was.

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/682543489435828224

Bisping vs dalloway was a pretty good to be fair though.

Also EmmyOk congratulations on your first full year of our gay sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

EvanSchenck posted:

He said that Robbie had "nothing going on upstairs" except he was obsessed with fighting and freakishly good at everything to do with it, which made him a very scary person.

A lot of good fighters share this trait

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

mewse posted:

That's part of the reason it's so funny he yelled "I feel loving great" at the post-fight doctor

Adrenaline is a drug. Just like meth or alcohol.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

Last time I saw him I asked about it and he mentioned he'd met Robbie, I think because I asked not long after the MacDonald fight and he might have seen some news about it. He said that Robbie had "nothing going on upstairs" except he was obsessed with fighting and freakishly good at everything to do with it, which made him a very scary person.

That's my second-hand Robbie Lawler anecdote.

That's basically everyone's Robbie Lawler anecdote

(I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I'm just saying that literally everyone I've ever talked to that's met Lawler, that's more or less exactly what they say)

Best Friends posted:

Not sure if this is new news or not, but Mousasi just posted that it's him v Leites on the feb 27 fight pass card.

That is new news but not terribly surprising, there weren't a lot of other options

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

willie_dee posted:

A lot of good fighters share this trait

i think just about every fighter who gets on tv does. even the relatively bad ones haha

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

I hope Robbie Lawler sticks to what he said in that last countdown video and will know when it's time to give it up, I don't want him to slowly drag out his retirement years from now like Chuck and other guys who love to fight and stuck around a bit too long because of it.

Side note I love how years after retiring Chuck Liddell doesn't give Jon Jones much respect. That poo poo is cool to me.

I ran into Jens Pulver in an airport recently, and got reminded how depressing his recent career has been, and how, given his childhood and personality, he's unlikely to hang it up. Nice guy though.

I.N.R.I posted:

i think just about every fighter who gets on tv does. even the relatively bad ones haha

Somebody on here had a story about seeing Waylon Lowe beat the poo poo out three guys in a bar fight. Said that it was amazing. Waylon Lowe got subbed by a TUF no-name, won a lackluster decision and died from a Guillard bodyshot.
That was the extent of his UFC career. Even the no-names are hard motherfuckers by any conventional standard.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

That's basically everyone's Robbie Lawler anecdote

(I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I'm just saying that literally everyone I've ever talked to that's met Lawler, that's more or less exactly what they say)

Nah, I knew that "Robbie Lawler lives only to destroy" was an unoriginal observation, I just thought it was funny that even a guy who barely follows the sport and met Robbie once for five minutes would immediately form the same impression.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Happy New Year's Eve, here's my favorite Pat Barry story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lGQsUaDAcw

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I cannot wait to watch Lawler and Condit murder each other for our entertainment in a few short days

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Somebody on here had a story about seeing Waylon Lowe beat the poo poo out three guys in a bar fight. Said that it was amazing. Waylon Lowe got subbed by a TUF no-name, won a lackluster decision and died from a Guillard bodyshot.
That was the extent of his UFC career. Even the no-names are hard motherfuckers by any conventional standard.

Something I used to relate to friends of mine - at the place I trained at before I went to Ricardo's, there used to be a couple active duty Marines that would come in to spar on occasion. They were good dudes, in real good shape, tough guys. And I would regularly beat the living gently caress out of them. This was at a time when I was, by the most generous possible standards, purple belt level.

Later, after I'd trained at Ricardo's for quite a while and had made it to actual purple belt, there was a dude from TUF who used to train with us, who was about my size (at the time) so we wound up sparring a lot. Technique-wise we were on similar levels, and he was more athletic than me, so we'd go usually like 60-40 in sparring, if you were keeping score. That dude went like 1-2 in the UFC before being cut.

So I would occasionally reflect, that tough, in shape marines would probably beat the poo poo out of the majority of the adult population. And in 2005 I was beating the poo poo out of them. And in 2010, vastly better than I had been five years earlier, I was going somewhat worse than 50/50 with a dude that basically washed out of the UFC. And then consider how much better than that guy Anderson Silva was.

Obviously Anderson, or Weidman, or any titleholder is way better at fighting than your average dude on the street, but it's interesting sometimes for me to reflect on just HOW MUCH BETTER they are, and that's something that it requires a lot of training to even realize.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 1, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
On the old Joes Vs Pros where they made them wrestle Randy, the military guy on the ep was a hand to hand combat instructor and literally the first thing he does after being instantly taken down is grab for a headlock lol.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Something I used to relate to friends of mine - at the place I trained at before I went to Ricardo's, there used to be a couple active duty Marines that would come in to spar on occasion. They were good dudes, in real good shape, tough guys. And I would regularly beat the living gently caress out of them. This was at a time when I was, by the most general possible standards, purple belt level.

Later, after I'd trained at Ricardo's for quite a while and had made it to actual purple belt, there was a dude from TUF who used to train with us, who was about my size (at the time) so we wound up sparring a lot. Technique-wise we were on similar levels, and he was more athletic than me, so we'd go usually like 60-40 in sparring, if you were keeping score. That dude went like 1-2 in the UFC before being cut.

So I would occasionally reflect, that tough, in shape marines would probably beat the poo poo out of the majority of the adult population. And in 2005 I was beating the poo poo out of them. And in 2010, vastly better than I had been five years earlier, I was going somewhat worse than 50/50 with a dude that basically washed out of the UFC. And then consider how much better than that guy Anderson Silva was.

Obviously Anderson, or Weidman, or any titleholder is way better at fighting than your average dude on the street, but it's interesting sometimes for me to reflect on just HOW MUCH BETTER they are, and that's something that it requires a lot of training to even realize.

By the same token, the episode of TUF where MCMAP instructors come in to show them some stuff, and guys who teach people to kill looked loving clumsy compared to a bunch of guys getting coached by Chuck and Tito. That's also got to do with the institutional filter. In the time it takes for an idea or technique to filter through hundreds or thousands of people, a guy being trained in a gym can learn an entire system and be on his way to sharpening it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If you subscribe to fightpass, check your email. I got a code for half off UFC 195 if I buy it online.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Something I used to relate to friends of mine - at the place I trained at before I went to Ricardo's, there used to be a couple active duty Marines that would come in to spar on occasion. They were good dudes, in real good shape, tough guys. And I would regularly beat the living gently caress out of them. This was at a time when I was, by the most general possible standards, purple belt level.

It gets a bit crazier too when you factor in steroids and other PEDs. The fighters who are already much better than the rest of the world would be there without steroids, but then they get juiced up and perform at an insane level. Likewise if you roided yourself out I'd imagine you could close the gap between you and lesser UFC fighters.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I realize this may come across as somewhat self-aggrandizing but keep in mind that the centerpiece is me being beat up by a dude that washed out of the UFC

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

It gets a bit crazier too when you factor in steroids and other PEDs. The fighters who are already much better than the rest of the world would be there without steroids, but then they get juiced up and perform at an insane level. Likewise if you roided yourself out I'd imagine you could close the gap between you and lesser UFC fighters.

Actually that was specifically one of the reasons I was comparing myself to somebody on TUF, since they wouldn't have been on gear while they were in the house.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Reminds me of a piece by an old boxing writer I read once. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) every neighborhpod had one guy who was the toughest,;that nobody hosed with and everyone was scared of. But then out of all the neighborhoods, there was one guy who was the toughest of all, the other tough guys didn't gently caress with. Now out of all the towns and cities in the state there was one guy on top of all of them, the toughest of the tough didn't want anything to do with. And this guy, so tough he doesn't seem human to us mere mortals, we'll if you were lucky you might get to see him take a life changing beating from Jack dempsey.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

On the old Joes Vs Pros where they made them wrestle Randy, the military guy on the ep was a hand to hand combat instructor and literally the first thing he does after being instantly taken down is grab for a headlock lol.

I remember the commentator then freaking out about him "going on offense" with the headlock. It was real dumb.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Or by the modern day example this guy fights anderson silva and Andy starts dropping his hands and breakdances around him without a care in the world , or runs into mcgregor who takes his best shot and laughs at him and just pushes him back, or think about it and realize how retardly good lyoto machida is at karate.

I think part of the reason andy's clowning was so effective was because these ultra tough and skilled guys who have spent their entire lives just running game on nearly everyone they've come in contact with just honestly couldn't believe that someone was doing this to them

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 1, 2016

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Fox sports 1 is running a show called ufc's top 5 greatest fights. It goes hendo/shogun 1, edgar/Maynard 2, aldo/Mendes 2, hunt/bigfoot , and number one is jones/gus. Might flip the order a little, but I can't argue too much with the picks.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man I really want Condit to win but after the Macdonald fight I feel like Robbie is an actual Saiyan and just gains power the more he gets hit :black101:

e] on the skill thing : There used to be a really cool clip on youtube of some old-timey boxer, (maybe Bomber somebody) who'd go to bars and let the patrons try and hit him, just to practice movement and evasion or whatever. He'd basically just dance around and clown on all these dudes for fun :allears:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 1, 2016

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Northjayhawk posted:

If you subscribe to fightpass, check your email. I got a code for half off UFC 195 if I buy it online.

I didn't get any email of that sort. Probably because they assume I will buy it anyway.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man I really want Condit to win but after the Macdonald fight I feel like Robbie is an actual Saiyan and just gains power the more he gets hit :black101:

e] on the skill thing : There used to be a really cool clip on youtube of some old-timey boxer, (maybe Bomber somebody) who'd go to bars and let the patrons try and hit him, just to practice movement and evasion or whatever. He'd basically just dance around and clown on all these dudes for fun :allears:

Oh, I'd love to see that. Any chance you could find the vid?

This page reminds me of doing Judo. My coach beat the hell out everyone in the state and goes to nationals and gets wiped, and then the guy that beat him goes to oceania and gets mangled himself, and then the guy that wins oceania goes to worlds and gets embarrassed. And then the guy who wins at worlds gets knocked out first round at the olympics. Imagine what the guy who wins the olympics would do to me. Makes me stop for a second before I piss off some random guy in public.

e: or gal

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

fatherdog posted:

Actually that was specifically one of the reasons I was comparing myself to somebody on TUF, since they wouldn't have been on gear while they were in the house.

I think the guys in previous seasons of TUF could still get gear, or at least had enough privacy to be able to take some smuggled in stuff.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

willie_dee posted:

I think the guys in previous seasons of TUF could still get gear, or at least had enough privacy to be able to take some smuggled in stuff.

Absolutely. Please go on

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i've got a lot of conflicting emotions about the upcoming lawler / condit fight. it's going to be so, so rad, but i really don't want to see either guy lose and in that vein, i think this fight could take years off both of their lives. i've got a feeling of dread that one of them might be ruined after this.

on that note, happy new year, thread. it's bizarre how much i appreciate you all posting good poo poo about this gay sport, i've never been part of a better online community. bring on a sick 2016 full of rad fights.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What are some cool dark ages fights that I should watch on fightpass?

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I just fired up Fightpass cos it's New Year and I'm drunk. I've not watched season 1 of TUF since it aired and I'm currently surprised by a couple of things. Firstly, the first fight isn't until the third episode. And the, when Bobby Southworth KOs some chump, The most noticeable thing is the ridiculous kung fu sound effects that accompany the knockout.
How did I not notice this before, and when do they stop doing this poo poo?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Bobby Southworth's first fight in Strikeforce was a No Contest due to: Both Fighters Fell From the Cage.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

Depends on the season. By the time the person I'm talking about was involved, they were testing everyone who got into the house.

Dangersim posted:

Reminds me of a piece by an old boxing writer I read once. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) every neighborhpod had one guy who was the toughest,;that nobody hosed with and everyone was scared of. But then out of all the neighborhoods, there was one guy who was the toughest of all, the other tough guys didn't gently caress with. Now out of all the towns and cities in the state there was one guy on top of all of them, the toughest of the tough didn't want anything to do with. And this guy, so tough he doesn't seem human to us mere mortals, we'll if you were lucky you might get to see him take a life changing beating from Jack dempsey.

This is great and pretty much exactly what I was talking about.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Google Butt posted:

What are some cool dark ages fights that I should watch on fightpass?

If only there was a thread for this

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Le Saboteur posted:

Bobby Southworth's first fight in Strikeforce was a No Contest due to: Both Fighters Fell From the Cage.

Every day, I find out something new and funny about MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOESywAotY

It's beautiful because you can see the guy realizing what was amiss and scrambling for the bolt to lock the cage door.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You might be thinking of this vid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd29sZpMHiY

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lmao at literally everything about that. i'm going to watch that again now.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Those are both awesome, but it was some old black & white footage from like the 50's or 60's I think. Anyway doesn't matter.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 1, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Also EmmyOk congratulations on your first full year of our gay sport

Thank you my pal! Tonight also marked the first night of someone who had only watched the main card of 194 tell me the intricacies of the fight game.

Jeremy Botter did a piece on Joe Duffy which is p cool.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604061-the-legend-of-irish-joe-duffy-the-last-man-to-beat-conor-mcgregor

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Happy new year you goons.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I don't post much, but I read this thread daily. Thanks for the fun you mma losers, happy new year~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

some of y'all are cool

some of y'all are dinks

still better than literally any other option for sustained mma discussion

happy goon years

• Locked thread