Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AhrimanPK posted:

Asteroid colonies would indeed be just a space cylinder inside an asteroid. The advantage of this is that hollowed out asteroids could easily be the result of asteroid mining, and you wouldn't have to fabricate or transport anywhere near as much stuff to build it. Just leave a shell a few meters thick, enough to maintain structural integrity and keep out nasty space rays. I remember reading that such an arrangement would even be immune to gamma ray bursts. This is why any real settlement on Mars would probably be underground, given that Mars' lack of a magnetosphere means that it gets bombarded by a lot of nasty poo poo. Dig a little deeper than necessary to protect from the normal radiation and you've got an extinction proof colony. I quite like the idea of hollowing out Olympus Mons, impractical but still orders of magnitude easier than actually terraforming the planet, and really cool.

you just want a giant under-mountain space base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Technically it's a volcano space base. A minor distinction, but one that makes all the difference in your super villain lair.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This doesn't really come into play until the sequel, but the explanation is fairly simple: everyone on Mars is completely loving retarded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

This doesn't really come into play until the sequel, but the explanation is fairly simple: everyone on Mars is completely loving retarded.

I've only played Red Faction 1 myself, but this matches up to that game. I don't know whether it's a missed opportunity or not that Guerrilla didn't bring back the underwater parts of 1 to add some extra wrinkles to destroying everything.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

Male Man posted:

Technically it's a volcano space base. A minor distinction, but one that makes all the difference in your super villain lair.

I absolutely wouldn't have a giant laser that fires out of the peak.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Let's get Parker Sector sorted out once and for all and move on up to bigger game. We're clearing out and heading into the Dust sector today. Here we get our first look at the scale of a proper zone. While the map remains finicky about if it wants to work or not at any given time, I'd estimate Dust to be something like six times as large as Parker, though some good stretches of that space are pretty desolate. Even still, it's going to take us more than this video and the next to drive around and see everything that is going on in Dust.

Welcome to Dust

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Man, these martians will never learn. If I was ever in the same area as any Mason... I'd get off the drat planet. mainly because he'd probably hit the core with his sledgehammer.

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 3, 2015

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Let's be honest, "Close to Mason" means "Anywhere on the same planet as him."

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
You may not have noticed yet, but you get a scrap bonus at the end of missions based on the local moral so its worth getting moral up before doing all the missions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jade is word blind, he'll never notice.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Are you playing off of the same hard drive you're recording to? That would explain the texture-loading (and map) problems.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Male Man posted:

Are you playing off of the same hard drive you're recording to? That would explain the texture-loading (and map) problems.

Jade's computer defies logical problem solving techniques. It's a quantum irregularity in our universe that whatever can go wrong, already went wrong for Jade. Whatever can't go wrong, he'll be having that problem on Tuesday.

e: see also his shoulder

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 3, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Fair enough. I'm well aware of his reputation.

Oh, and Jade, if, hypothetically, I shared your opinion on the shotgun and had the power to change it (and some other things), would you be interested? If so, don't buy any ammo upgrades.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The EDF are ridiculously huge assholes for no real reason. "We respect your rights and you may protest peacefully." While in the act of gunning people down because durr?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Drakenel posted:

The EDF are ridiculously huge assholes for no real reason. "We respect your rights and you may protest peacefully." While in the act of gunning people down because durr?

Clearly a Mars Attacks! reference

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Male Man posted:

Oh, and Jade, if, hypothetically, I shared your opinion on the shotgun and had the power to change it (and some other things), would you be interested? If so, don't buy any ammo upgrades.

Actually ammo upgrades should be okay. Probably.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Male Man posted:

I assume we're talking mods here. Wouldn't making the EDF shotgun more powerful also mean that the EDF gets to shoot me with a more powerful gun too?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jade Star posted:

I assume we're talking mods here. Wouldn't making the EDF shotgun more powerful also mean that the EDF gets to shoot me with a more powerful gun too?

As a viewer, I assume that this means blasting EDF people into orbit, and I am 100% in favor of that. If you die, you can cut that out and the only person who'll see any negative impact whatsoever is you. So I don't care about that.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I don't understand this at all... First video #2 and now #4... It seems my live take videos after being compiled refuse to freaking work properly. There is no reason for this. Why is it happening only to the live takes? What could possibly be that different from live versus post? Oh my loving balls, the JAIDS is happening again.

:sigh:

Welp. I'll splice it up into segments and do the youtube workaround for this again, but it's getting kind of bothersome. Let me ask you the viewers a question now, or after video 4 is out; Is there enough appreciation for the live takes to keep doing it? If I plan for it, I should be able to minimize the ballache it causes. Ahriman pointed out before the LP started that there is a lot of random stuff to do between plot missions, and a lot of it is really fun destruction, but doing it all post might be a bit dry in comparison. Plot missions have more things for us to discus that isn't 'Hey, I blew that up good.' So I'd like to get thoughts and feelings on the subject.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
What are you using to record the videos? Can't you just record a local file with OBS and it should give you exactly what you'd get if you were streaming the game, assuming it worked properly when you tried to stream it live the first time?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He uses Fraps & Windows Movie Maker for convenience's sake. He screen shared with me one night to try and figure out why a video, when fully rendered, absolutely refused to play, yet on the same token cutting it into chunks would be fine. Doing that found NOTHING wrong with the video at any point.

But having the whole project rendered at once? Yeah no, you're not playing that file sucker :smug:

It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen related to editing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I like this game, seeing it again after playing Armageddon, I can already tell it's suffering from not having the reconstruction tool. It's so easy to accidentally destroy a flimsy staircase, or walkway, or floor, or anything else you might need to traverse, and then you're just boned and need to find another way around. Making it possible to get stuff like that back after its gone was really the biggest improvement the sequel introduced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The reconstruction tool was definitely one of the good ideas they had for Armageddon. It just had OTHER issues.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Actually, not necessarily. Each weapon has separate player and NPC values for damage, vehicle damage, fire rate, accuracy, and--if applicable--explosion. For anyone interested, here's the game's definition for the assault rifle. A typical weapon like this has around 100 different values associated with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Answering a question raised in the video: the Free Fire Zone is a sector of Mars you'll get to later. You start off in the southern region of the Mars colony: Parker, Dust, Oasis, and the Badlands. Separating the poor and underdeveloped southern parts of the colony from the wealthy city of Eos and the EDF's planetary headquarters at Mount Vogel is the Free Fire Zone, a narrow chokepoint area that's the only way to get into northern colony. The area gets its name from the EDF's heavy artillery emplaced on the cliffs above, where they have free reign to fire on any unauthorized vehicle coming up from the south.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh! Well then... If you want to screw around with the lack luster EDF shotgun and promise it won't seriously JAIDS up my files, then I'd be more than willing to give it a try.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jade Star posted:

Oh! Well then... If you want to screw around with the lack luster EDF shotgun and promise it won't seriously JAIDS up my files, then I'd be more than willing to give it a try.

Famous last words.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Ahriman and I tour around Dust, find things to break, and pontificate on the nature of things like solar versus wind power, the importance of weight and velocity when it comes to the ramming power of vehicles, and we become in awe of the unholy power that is imbued in The Lorry. That's British for delivery truck. Dust is still a big place, even after exploring it for an hour and trying to get to as many targets as possible.

Exploring & Destroying the Dust

Afterwards I was just driving around and Ahriman goaded me into conducting some science.

For Science!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The purple poo poo y'all keep referring to is from EDF railguns - I think the game calls them gauss cannons.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I know your mastery of the English language ahs been called into question before in the past, but have you really heard of a garter belt?

You also ought to drive around the dump trucks more, they're way better than those box trucks you like but you see them less and less as the game goes on.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
Jade's use of the word lorry, and the mention of dashcams, is because of me linking this story to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34933345

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hey, I knew of the word Lorry before that story.

I learned it from Cpt. Duck's Hard Truck Apocalypse LP.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I think it's less you're setting off ammo and more you're setting off all the explosives in the box when you hit it. Still hurts like hell to be next to when it goes off though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Challenge for next video: say 'red lorry, yellow lorry' ten times fast.

Out of interest, can you cover a vehicle in charges, then go speeding towards a target, bail out and detonate the jeep? Seems like that would be a good way to soften up a target before going in all bombs blazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Challenge for next video: say 'red lorry, yellow lorry' ten times fast.

Out of interest, can you cover a vehicle in charges, then go speeding towards a target, bail out and detonate the jeep? Seems like that would be a good way to soften up a target before going in all bombs blazing.
Yes, although it's not as good as it sounds because the charges are pretty weak and really depend on when you stick them.
There is a way to make vehicle bombs later on, though. It's a bit obnoxious and not really a spoiler: once you pick up a certain amount of radio tags (found on corpses throughout the wasteland), the game will mark an old bomb on your map; drive over that with a vehicle and it'll be armed for a big boom.
Mind you, the thing blows up when the vehicle does so getting it where you want tends to be quite the adventure.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
also if you are really hard up for scrap you can always hammer the car wrecks by the safe-house.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yes. Yes you absolutely can.

Hell, I took a car from a civilian and as they got out they said 'Yeah, this will make a hell of a car bomb Mason. Trust me!'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vehicles make a pretty big boom by themselves, so slamming one into a building with a mine or three on it can still be effective.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Bruceski posted:

Vehicles make a pretty big boom by themselves, so slamming one into a building with a mine or three on it can still be effective.
My traditional way to start a fight has always been to stick the maximum amount of charges on a random vehicle, run it into the building I'm attacking, bail out, and then pull the trigger. Results may vary.

Oh, also those guerrilla missions where you need to help the Red Faction attack some location? I think I remember that they can also be completed by blowing up the building the EDF are defending. You should always blow up the building anyway, because why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I took a look at the files. The EDF shotgun ("autoblaster") fires 5 pellets that do 45 damage each at point blank range, falling off to 30 at 60 meters. A basic EDF trooper has 440 hit points, so while you can kill in two point blank shots, in practice you'll need at least three solid body shots.

Meanwhile, the marauder shotgun fires 7 pellets that each deal 220 damage at point blank, falling to 45 at 50 meters. Hitting with only three of 7 pellets guarantees a kill out to 20 meters.

So there's a bit of an efficacy difference there.

This mod roughly triples the EDF shotgun's total damage (including doubling the pellet count), gives it full damage out to 5 meters, and bumps its fire rate up a hair, but keeps the NPC stats roughly the same. It shouldn't affect anything else. Probably.

To install, drop the zip into your RFG folder, extract it with default settings (so, to ..\Red Faction Guerrilla\Autoblastmore), then run Install.bat.

• Locked thread