Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Triple A posted:

Let's see how many hard drives Jade is going to go thru this LP. :v:

Jaids. Jaids never changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AhrimanPK posted:

This is an extremely good point. It seems like terraforming Mars would be a vanity project for a civilization that had more resources and time than it knew what to do with. It's far more prectical for everyone to be living in O'Neil Cylinders or hollowed out asteroids.

I recall Zorak doing a bunch of effortposts on why it'd be much easier and healthier to just build a bunch of space cities than colonise planets in a slowbeef LP of a Kojima game I'm going to feel really dumb when someone names. Basically, there's a LOT of usable mass in the asteroid belt for building space houses, and as a bonus, asteroids are way less likely to kill you than planets

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AhrimanPK posted:

Asteroid colonies would indeed be just a space cylinder inside an asteroid. The advantage of this is that hollowed out asteroids could easily be the result of asteroid mining, and you wouldn't have to fabricate or transport anywhere near as much stuff to build it. Just leave a shell a few meters thick, enough to maintain structural integrity and keep out nasty space rays. I remember reading that such an arrangement would even be immune to gamma ray bursts. This is why any real settlement on Mars would probably be underground, given that Mars' lack of a magnetosphere means that it gets bombarded by a lot of nasty poo poo. Dig a little deeper than necessary to protect from the normal radiation and you've got an extinction proof colony. I quite like the idea of hollowing out Olympus Mons, impractical but still orders of magnitude easier than actually terraforming the planet, and really cool.

you just want a giant under-mountain space base!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Drakenel posted:

The EDF are ridiculously huge assholes for no real reason. "We respect your rights and you may protest peacefully." While in the act of gunning people down because durr?

Clearly a Mars Attacks! reference

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Male Man posted:

I took a look at the files. The EDF shotgun ("autoblaster") fires 5 pellets that do 45 damage each at point blank range,
Meanwhile, the marauder shotgun fires 7 pellets that each deal 220 damage at point blank,

That is a LITTLE BIT of a difference.
By which I mean a full hit from the EDF gun is the same as one pellet from the Marauder...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

At some point it may not have been necessary to explode absolutely everything

This is factually 100% incorrect

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As soon as you need to say "all you need to do is..." with a weapon, it is a bad weapon.
Because all you need to do with other weapons is point and kill a dude.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wanamingo posted:

Without spoiling any potential rewards, or lack thereof, I will say that there are more than 250 EDF crates in the game. You don't need to worry about getting every last one, there are plenty.

Is there a followup target, or is 250 it?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I kind of wish there was some sound when weight was still redistributing to tell you that the building isn't finished settling. Because there doesn't seem to be any buildup before a half destroyed structure collapses.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Was that the company that Kickstartered their first stage? because I'm pretty sure their stage 1 funding showed it aint happening.

Since their Stage 1 was to investigate the feasibility of going to Mars, they delivered what was asked for they're fine by the Kickstarter terms.

Unlike Star Citizen

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

How could you forget Jenkins? And yeah, Martian is pretty good

Jade - boning himself in TYOOL 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade: Not understanding the Pull Out method.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Turns out that more explosions had ybexoected side effects.

Logan, Alec mason is not.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Quoting Veloxylls spelling attempt.

Veloxyll, the Veloxyll of spelling.

Obviously, it was written in Martian.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, obviously the plan is to get in melee range on the artillery, then they can't hit you, and you can take em down with whatever.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

I'd really like to thank Aaron for helping me with this LP and being such a thoughtful co-commentator and not-a-jerk. I do not look forward to finding and telling Ahriman he has been replaced.

He knew the risks.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eos - containing a much better level of Jenkins than previous zones.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mason - Mass Murdering space rear end in a top hat.
12 dead is a tragedy.
125 dead is a statistic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yup. I was like "JADE NO!" Then you realised it and well

Though, what else do you expect from an out-takes video.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

you know what's easier than colonising Mars? Building giant space stations and just mining the gently caress out of asteroids for materials.

Planets loving suck. 99% of them is inacessible. Or will fall on you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think the main problem is our bodies do not handle weightlessness well over long periods of time. Our systems are all designed for Earth and not "adjacent to Earth, in a rock." Spending any significant amount of time in space is alarmingly bad for your health. Even on a quick trip up, you might just lose track of your limbs, like you do.

thus spinny stations.

And energy outside of all gravity wells is a pest. outside planetary ones is even a little excessive. there is plenty of space between earth and the mun. let alone further out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahriman - it still is possible to smell ozone around electronics. When they melt/explode.

Just as important as Ozone, does Mars even have a magnetosphere. Because those are also super handy for keeping deadly space radiation out. Which is why the whole shields issue has come up with manned missions to Mars.

• Locked thread