Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for November, 2015?
This poll is closed.
:perfect: Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 16 11.68%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 6 4.38%
:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 47 34.31%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 5 3.65%
:rant: Seth Rollins (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 6 4.38%
:mufasa: Roman Reigns (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 13 9.49%
:fella: Sheamus (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 9 6.57%
:gitgud: These are some Scrub-Tier Champions (None of the Above) 35 25.55%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

Especially since all it usually takes is someone posting a clip of a match to get people saying "Whoa, I don't watch [promotion] but that was awesome and I'm voting for it." So maybe the trick is to expose more people to great matches in voting threads so they won't have that bias anymore.

yeah, I have never followed dragon gate and don't really know a thing about it but all it took for me to vote for Shingo was to watch that one match and I was sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Indie wrestling is scary and I can't enjoy wrestling if the terrible commentary isn't in English.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I can't enjoy wrestling unless it's full of pretty Asian men so I only watch dragon gate, ddt, and various Japanese deathmatches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HerraS posted:

lol this is biased as gently caress

WWE doesn't even threat the Divas Title with the same level of "respect" as the Tag Titles :stare:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

When I watch wrestling I want pretty Japanese men no-selling which is why BxB Hulk will forever be champion of my heart. Never sell that leg Hulk.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

When I watch wrestling I want pretty Japanese men no-selling which is why BxB Hulk will forever be champion of my heart. Never sell that leg Hulk.

Well yeah he needs his legs to kick fools heads off.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

NienNunb posted:

Indie wrestling is scary and I can't enjoy wrestling if the terrible commentary isn't in English.

If I have to understand angles/promos through external translations it's hard to care imo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hace posted:

If I have to understand angles/promos through external translations it's hard to care imo

I don't speak Japanese at all, but I rarely if ever look up translations of what is going on in NJPW because the wrestlers are good (and free enough) get their point across very obviously through their tone of voice, their facial expressions, the emotions they convey, and the crowd and commentator reaction.

Like I don't understand a word of any of the promos Okada and Tanahashi have cut on each other but it's pretty drat obvious what is being said/felt.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

I don't speak Japanese at all, but I rarely if ever look up translations of what is going on in NJPW because the wrestlers are good (and free enough) get their point across very obviously through their tone of voice, their facial expressions, the emotions they convey, and the crowd and commentator reaction.

Like I don't understand a word of any of the promos Okada and Tanahashi have cut on each other but it's pretty drat obvious what is being said/felt.

Promos are overrated, after all, I'll be voting for Prince Puma and he's a mute

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jerusalem posted:

It's just hard to get invested for me. I can appreciate the intensity and think they act out their promos better than most WWE guys (though i have no idea if the promos are any good), but I don't think it makes up for being able to actually understand or care about the angle.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I have gotten my friends hooked on NJPW through the quality of the product, especially compared to WWE which is steaming hot poo poo right now

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Hace posted:

It's just hard to get invested for me. I can appreciate the intensity and think they act out their promos better than most WWE guys (though i have no idea if the promos are any good), but I don't think it makes up for being able to actually understand or care about the angle.

I'm certain folks have recommended it, but have you tried their show on AXS? All the interviews are subtitled and they have nice sitdowns with wrestlers that are obviously subtitled as well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
NJPW is easy to understand even if you can't understand what they are saying because most of the time they're saying "I'm gonna win [tournament/title/feud] against [opponent/s] and sometimes Nakamura says "YEAOH" and sometimes Karl Anderson speaks in a slow simple English that even the most non-English-speaking Japanese person can understand.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mercury Crusader posted:

NJPW is easy to understand even if you can't understand what they are saying because most of the time they're saying "I'm gonna win [tournament/title/feud] against [opponent/s] and sometimes Nakamura says "YEAOH" and sometimes Karl Anderson speaks in a slow simple English that even the most non-English-speaking Japanese person can understand.

I never said it was hard to understand

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Really the major NJPW shows barely have promos at all, a portion of the ones who do get promos are English speaking gaijin, and if it's something like Dragon Gate I just follow Jae's Twitter and some live chats I go to sometimes. Commentary is usually just people screaming move names in phonetic Engrish anyway, and their vocal tones and excitement in Japanese do far more for calling the match than an English speaking dead-voiced Michael Cole. Like if you don't get LARIATOOOOO or a guy screaming because a finisher was kicked out of at one, I don't know what to tell you.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

sticklefifer posted:

Really the major NJPW shows barely have promos at all, a portion of the ones who do get promos are English speaking gaijin, and if it's something like Dragon Gate I just follow Jae's Twitter and some live chats I go to sometimes. Commentary is usually just people screaming move names in phonetic Engrish anyway, and their vocal tones and excitement in Japanese do far more for calling the match than an English speaking dead-voiced Michael Cole. Like if you don't get LARIATOOOOO or a guy screaming because a finisher was kicked out of at one, I don't know what to tell you.

The first time I heard LARIATOOOOO was Matt Striker telling me how funny it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

riding someones jock about it is less likely to get them interested in the product fyi

• Locked thread