Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well, seeing as it's now December and no one else seems willing to do it I will be running the CineD Secret Santa once again this year. Just a warning, unlike last year, I will be participating so if you get matched to me, it will not be so secret. I'll still make it random and all that but just know that going in. Alternatively, if any one reading this wants to take over running this, I'll hand over the keys to the e-mail account.

Anyways, all I need from you is to send a little info to:
cinedsanta2015@gmail.com

What I need you to send is
1) Your SA username
2) A link to your profile
3) Your actual name
4) Your address (or at least where you want your Santa to send your gift)
5) Whether you want 1 or 2 Santees (2 Santees also means you get 2 Santas)
6) Whether you're willing to ship internationally (not shipping internationally is only an option for people from the US. If you are not from the US and really prefer to ship within your country, I'll see what I can do but I can't guarantee anything. Expect to ship internationally)
8) Your Age/Sex
9) Whether you own a Bluray player
7) Anything you want your Santa to know about yourself, what you want and what you don't want. You should also post this in this thread but here you can also put stuff you don't want public (like Amazon wish lists).

A few other things:
-No need to actually but a Miyazaki box set. The expected minimum price for your gift is $20. You can go way over that if you want but please don't be cheaper than that.
-Once you get your Santa/Santee and want to message them, PM me or send something to the e-mail and I'll relay it for you.
-Please be an actual CineD poster. You don't have to be one of the regulars or someone that posts alot but still be someone that's had some sort of presence.
-If you think you're going to have any trouble getting your gift there on time, let me know and I'll let your Santee know. Don't make your Santee worry they got stiffed.
-If you haven't received your gift by January 1st and have heard nothing, let me know and I'll look into it.
-Don't be an rear end. If you sign up please actually send someone something cool.

The Deadline for signups is December 15th. More realistically the cutoff will be whenever after December 12th I start making the list, but I'll let the thread know when that happens. I would normally like more time for signups but we're running late and people do need some time to get this done. Don't delay on signing up! Also I realize that does not give you much time to shop, but just try and get it done quick!

I think that's everything. If I forgot anything, let me know and I'll put it in the OP.

So after you've sent your e-mail, post in the thread. Let your Santa know you're here and what you want. Once you get your loot please post it in the thread so we can all see how awesome your Santa was. So good luck, have fun and merry whatever you celebrate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wonder if pushing the reg date forward might not be a good idea? Probably most people who are interested in this will be aware and signed up within the week, I'm guessing.

Edit: Whoever you are, Santee, you're getting some fuckin fruitcake. Strap in

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 1, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last year the end date was the 12th but i think I also put it up slightly earlier. Really in my experience two weeks isn't that long. If it really slows down by next week, maybe I'll push it up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm in, email sent. I'm feeling generous so hit me with two Santees.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll get an e-mail out tonight, but I couldn't help but notice this:

axleblaze posted:

6)
8)
9)
7)
:v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The really funny part is I copy pasted that from last year which means it was like that last year too :v:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I haven't even thought about buying gifts for friends and family yet, but am gladly signing up for this.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in, you dorks!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm in.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Me too! I hope I get someone cool, and not you losers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, by the way, if you're an international santa and don't want to do the intl shipping thing, here's my Amazon wishlist! Don't take the recent additions of a ton of boardgames as a heavy hint- I just got caught up on the past couple of year's releases after not playing so often and took notes of what looked cool.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=nav_youraccount_wl?ie=UTF8&requiresSignIn=1

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

(taps keyboard while furrowing brow)

I'm in

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Email sent shortly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Matches have been sent out so look for those in your e-mail and have fun!

In the meantime post in here some things that might help your Santa. For example: what genres do you feel you could use more of an education in?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The only De Palma I've seen is Blow Out and I am hungry for more stuff like that or by him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

— Foreign essentials would be cool, I've seen the big stuff by Kurosawa, Bergman, the French New Wave, Leone, Fellini, Tarkovsky, etc. but don't have much depth.

— I'd love any interesting film writing.

— I'm really not picky, though, anything you think would be interesting.

When should we ship? I think I already know what I'm going to get my person.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This got started so late that I'd say ship as soon as you can.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've just received my gifts, and I'm actually touched by how thoughtful and well-chosen they are. Thank you, Secret Santa! (You know who you are).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'm glad you liked them! Normally I'd liked to have sent some local stuff too, but shipping to the UK is nuts so I had to go the Amazon route. Let me know if the book is cool, it seemed interesting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well what did you get?!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Probably a broken Sega Genesis full of dead leeches.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got a DVD of The Iron Giant, which I've never seen but have heard terrific things about (and which my son will soon appreciate, I hope); a fun little game; what looks like a fascinating book on design; and high-end vegetarian marshmallows.

My Santee is in the US so I have ordered stuff for them from online retailers too.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Probably a broken Sega Genesis full of dead leeches.

poo poo, why weren't you my Santa?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I think my first Secret Santa package arrived today and I don't think I'll be able to obtain it on account of I'm a bad loving idiot. But I'd like my Secret Santa to know that I really appreciate it nonetheless

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

I think my first Secret Santa package arrived today and I don't think I'll be able to obtain it on account of I'm a bad loving idiot. But I'd like my Secret Santa to know that I really appreciate it nonetheless

It did. I'm really sorry, that sucks — what happened?

(You're still getting a package with the last gift today, should I stop delivery or try and change to another address?)

morestuff fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 18, 2015

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

It did. I'm really sorry, that sucks — what happened?

(You're still getting a package with the last gift today, should I stop delivery or try and change to another address?)

Aw just some really stressful poo poo involving being able to claim my own packages at the post office on account of I'm trans. But good news! I've figured out a workaround - all I have to do is sign the mailing slip and then show up at the post office claiming to be my own agent, here to pick up my package for myself because I'm out of town. I'll claim these on Saturday, thank you again for sending them!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

Aw just some really stressful poo poo involving being able to claim my own packages at the post office on account of I'm trans. But good news! I've figured out a workaround - all I have to do is sign the mailing slip and then show up at the post office claiming to be my own agent, here to pick up my package for myself because I'm out of town. I'll claim these on Saturday, thank you again for sending them!

Good to hear, hope you enjoy them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, my target's gifts are on the way. There might be two packages, but it should just be one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dooooope

Thanks, man.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, dog. That's some good watchin.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I bought a gift from Thinkgeek without realising quite what Thinkgeek was. :ohdear:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

therattle posted:

I bought a gift from Thinkgeek without realising quite what Thinkgeek was. :ohdear:

Is it secretly a front for a cult or something?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Took me longer than I would have liked, but the gifts are on their waaaaay

My international santee may have to wait a bit though because amazon international shipping times are ridiculous

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Santa came! Today I received a package containing Draft Day, Something Like An Autobiography, and the best gift of all, a gift receipt for Draft Day!

Kurosawa's autobiography looks cool; I especially like that it's broken into small episodes, so that I will actually probably be able to read it amid all the thesis reading and research I'm going to be doing.

I've seen heard Draft Day a few times before. I already know how it ends- Kevin Costner ends up not getting drafted.

edit: lol it would actually cost me money to return Draft Day, I'm gonna make someone else watch it with me and recite the entire thing.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Santa came! Today I received a package containing Draft Day, Something Like An Autobiography, and the best gift of all, a gift receipt for Draft Day!

Kurosawa's autobiography looks cool; I especially like that it's broken into small episodes, so that I will actually probably be able to read it amid all the thesis reading and research I'm going to be doing.

I've seen heard Draft Day a few times before. I already know how it ends- Kevin Costner ends up not getting drafted.

edit: lol it would actually cost me money to return Draft Day, I'm gonna make someone else watch it with me and recite the entire thing.
There's another package on the way. The order got split somehow, I should have mentioned that in a note or something. I wasn't a complete rear end.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

No sweat homie, I got a laugh out of seeing Kevin Costner's sour mug sliding out of a manilla envelope

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

It was worth it :3:

I'll post pics later but I was not having a very good day and getting this cheered me up immensely.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axleblaze posted:

It was worth it :3:

I'll post pics later but I was not having a very good day and getting this cheered me up immensely.

Oh good! I was going to get you a Big Kahuna or Santa Cruz Slugs t-shirt but then I saw those. It was a bit more than I intended to spend but I thought it was absolutely perfect. It's that great feeling when you see something for somebody and have a strong hunch they'll really like it, so you kinda have to buy it. Glad you like it! Another little something is on the way too.

Also you deserve something nice for organising this whole thing.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is it secretly a front for a cult or something?

There's a thread in GBS about them.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755046

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 23, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This thread is a thing of obscene beauty.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Sweeeeeeeet

I've heard very good things about A girl walks home alone at night but I've never had the chance to watch it. Looking forward to it!

• Locked thread