Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Welcome shoppers, let me tell you a bit about Superstore!

Superstore is a new comedy on NBC created by Justin Spitzer, the same fella who also wrote a whole bunch of Office episodes. It encompasses every day happenings in a giant big box store called "Cloud 9," which is meant to mirror Walmart in every way possible. The employees are a unique group brought together by the monotony and soul-crushing world of retail work. There will obviously be romance, laughter, absurdity, and plenty of tomfoolery.

Time Slot

The two-part pilot aired on November 30th, 2015. The series will officially premiere on January 4th, 2016 and will continue regularly on Mondays in the 8 o'clock time slot on NBC.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZXnTZbF3g

Characters!

America Ferrara plays Amy, a 10 year veteran Cloud 9 associate.

Ben Feldman as Jonah, the newest employee who thinks he's too good for the store.

Lauren Ash as Dina, an overly-aggressive and serious assistant store manager.

Colton Dunn as Garrett, a paraplegic sales associate.

Nico Santos as Mateo, an exuberant and overachieving new employee.

Nichole Bloom as Cheyenne, a pregnant sales associate with a trashy boyfriend.

Mark Mckinney as Glenn, the store manager.

Have fun everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
O/U on number of episodes before cancellation: 3.5

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

O/U on number of episodes before cancellation: 3.5

I doubt it'll make it to 3. It's so blatantly Walmart I'm amazed it wasn't shut down in production.

Maybe if you to mock the big box stores, don't constantly and prominently feature Shasta brand soda in every shot because all that does is remind people of Walmart. Man I want some Shasta Cola now.

...wait.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Who knew it would come to this for America Ferrara after how popular Ugly Betty was.

Also, Didn't they do this poo poo on TBS already?
I didn't think the wacky world of big box wage slavery was compelling enough to watch that show, and gonna be honest, I don't think NBC is gonna sway me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It also looks eerily similar to a (terrible looking) UK sitcom shown on Sky over here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWXBuoaz4vY

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeah I like some of the names involved here but A Show About Walmart is a concept that does absolutely nothing for me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Technically a third episode aired online. But yeah, the premiere and schedule make no loving sense especially if you aren't going to encore the premiere or something, even with DVR/online streaming these days. Just feels silly to me.

Show is alright. Actors are pretty good, and the two leads obviously have good chemistry. Didn't know America Ferrera was still doing stuff and Ben Feldman is always impressive since I started seeing him on Mad Men. Dunno how I feel though, the show is still really broad even though it's like one of those 'sweet/sincere' type of comedies more than anything. I think the subject matter and setting could be interesting but I feel like the second episode didn't do much to break out of it. It's like comfort food honestly, that's what this show is probably gonna end up being, though I wish it were gonna be more, but probably won't know til January.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
America Ferrera has been doing one of the main voices for the How to Train Your Dragon movies and subsequent TV shows, so I think she's been doing okay. There just isn't often call for a short, non-rail thin Hispanic actress in front of the camera, unfortunately. I remember liking the upfront trailer for this show, so I'll have to find the pilot and check it out.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Chuck already nailed the 'working in a box store' perfectly, plus super spy stuff. This will have to be pretty funny to top that. :colbert:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Watched the pilot, it was okay. How the new guy was't fired is a wonder.

The thread title/line from the show really annoyed me 'They learnt us that in public school.'

No, the teachers taught you. So it should be 'They taught us that in public school.'

If someone could forward my note to the show, that would be great.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Andrew_1985 posted:

Watched the pilot, it was okay. How the new guy was't fired is a wonder.

The thread title/line from the show really annoyed me 'They learnt us that in public school.'

No, the teachers taught you. So it should be 'They taught us that in public school.'

If someone could forward my note to the show, that would be great.

So in short, you're complaining about there being a joke in this comedy?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Yeah, I thought he might be getting whoooshed but I'm really not sure. Anyways, I watched all 3 episodes and it's pretty funny. I found myself smiling and laughing throughout most of the show and it just felt pretty good to watch it IMO. Nowhere near a parks and rec or 30 rock, but not bad either. Hopefully Walmart doesn't start swinging it's shlong around regarding the similarities.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 2, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

So in short, you're complaining about there being a joke in this comedy?

This is a comedy not a documentary?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

By the way this started airing last night. Wonder if anyone else caught it here.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Yeah I watched. The gangster white kid has some crazy effect on me and I can't stop laughing when he's around. I think it's the attempt at a mustache.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So the entire point of this show is "Guy from Mad Men" is somehow out of place at Walmart and gets ruthlessly mocked for it?

I assume there must be some other plot element to it but all it looks like is Ugly Betty and the living Parks and Rec pot dude just clown all over the one person who exhibits too much intelligence.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The latest episode was quite bad unfortunately.

The adoption subplot was just weird.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Everyone forget about this or something?

The finale was earlier this week. I think the season was pretty decent overall. It's actually one of NBC's few decent performers, so it obviously got renewed. There's quite a bit to like. I think the episode where they get locked in the store overnight was probably their better ones.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Glad this is getting a second season. Going to be disappointed if they make Dina a villain, she is quite sympathetic. Also, nice to see Sandra getting some moments here and there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, this show is pretty fun. Ginsberg and Ugly Betty have good chemistry and Colton Dunn/crazy security lady/manager from Kids in the Hall are all hilarious and do a good job of elevating stock characters. Could do without Mateo though.

Feels like a good time to bump seeing how it aired an Olympics special last month and comes back properly on the 22nd.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mateo is awesome I will fight you on this

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Surprisingly, this show is decent. It does a good job of making Jonah unlikable, since in the pilot I was a little worried it'd be from his point of view, and he'd be like a Jim Halpert normie amongst all the clowns, but it turns a little and makes him a joke like everyone else.

It'll get into my hulu rotation for sure.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Jerk McJerkface is right, this show is good.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This is a fun show. It's silly and pointless but who says every show has to have a point.

Was the Olympic episode supposed to take place before or after the season finale?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Surprisingly, this show is decent. It does a good job of making Jonah unlikable, since in the pilot I was a little worried it'd be from his point of view, and he'd be like a Jim Halpert normie amongst all the clowns, but it turns a little and makes him a joke like everyone else.

Even Amy isn't entirely the Jim of this show, though she's certainly closest. I assumed you were supposed to be on her side with how actively superior and standoffish she is with her co-workers, but that becomes kind of a pathological thing as it goes on.

The union-busting plot was honestly more progressive than I expected. I'm not sure how they'll expand on that...sitcoms are nothing if not built out of a preserved status quo. But an NBC sitcom calling out Walmart as an exploitive cabal of plutocrats who hide threats behind bureaucracy is an interesting angle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

joebuddah posted:

This is a fun show. It's silly and pointless but who says every show has to have a point.

Was the Olympic episode supposed to take place before or after the season finale?

I'm watching this now and I think it's set before the last few eps of season 1. Dina is assistant manager and Cheyenne is still pregnant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for double-post but season premiere was super funny. Writing seems to have gone up a level.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Man some of the vignettes this episode were absolutely hilarious. The hemorrhoid creme one haha

Also the silent shot of Amy panicking over the thumb with just music playing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat this show learned how to use its ensemble well insanely quickly

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have a friend named Mattea and no one ever says her name correctly. I'm calling her Ma-tato starting tomorrow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest episode was real funny, this show's cool

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The intro with Cloudy and the reveal was incredible

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh good a thread!

I really like this show. It is a dumb premise that works well enough because the cast is awesome, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's fun to watch.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The Duke posted:

The intro with Cloudy and the reveal was incredible

And they called it back on the Halloween episode.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

PotatoJudge posted:

And they called it back on the Halloween episode.

That was amazing. And somehow only the 3rd funniest thing behind Mark McKinney trying to sit in a chair, and everything Dina in the cold open.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Dina's costume though :madmax:

I swear I saw like 3 sitcoms with hotdog suits this year

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Myrtle is going to cut a bitch, a very old bitch

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Cheyenne's laugh is the best

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's sad more people don't watch this. The casting is brilliant.

Needs more Bo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This show is underrated AF. Love it.

• Locked thread