Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Additional info:

Emby is the project formally known as MediaBrowser (you will still find some files/references to this scattered about). They changed the name for much the same reason the XBMC team changed to Kodi - so the developers could maintain some level of control over how it is used by unscrupulous knock off companies. Also "MediaBrowser" is as generic as they come and hard to search for.

Emby, like Plex, uses a client-server model. You can install both on the same HTPC but it's far more common to install the server on a central location, such as a NAS, that serves media out to various clients over your network. Emby will stream locally and remotely (i.e. over the internet) if configured to do so in the latter case.

Both the server and client can run on a large number of devices and platforms. The server can be installed on a dedicated HTPC, a home NAS like QNap or Synology, or a roll your own storage box like FreeNAS or one of the several variants like UnRAID that allow Docker apps (Emby server is available in a Docker container).

Clients are available for Android (phone, tablet, and a dedicated Android TV app), iOS (phone, tablet), FireTV/stick, and Roku. There's also a Windows phone app as well as one for Windows 8/10 however they are not up to the same standards as the other clients - a new "Universal" app for Windows is under development (that will also support XBone, I believe). There is also a TvOS app for Apple TV in the works.

As mentioned in the OP, there is an excellent Kodi addon that seamlessly integrates the Emby library with Kodi, which is what attracts most Kodi users to Emby over Plex (see below).

Finally, there is an excellent web client interface (in addition to the server interface) that does a better job than you'd expect. It's useful for background watching, etc. on laptops and the like.

The Emby server can deliver media to clients in one of several ways:

Directly played - the client handles any and all decoding, etc., Emby just passes along the file location. This is what most Kodi clients would use, for example.

Directly streamed - the client still handles decoding, etc., but Emby translates the file location - useful in case the client cannot reach where the media is stored itself or doesn't have the correct network protocol installed (for example, you are sharing via NFS but have a client that can only "see" SMB or HTTP paths). Emby also allows you to "map" local server paths to network shares if you want to avoid this - very useful for Kodi.

Transcoded - Emby automatically transcodes the audio/video essence and container to a format the client can optimally play. This is useful for devices like the Roku, which have limited format support, low-powered clients in general, and when streaming over the internet. You can let it auto-select what it thinks is best or if you like fine-tuning things you can dive in and set max bitrate, streaming bandwidth, etc. to your hearts content. You can even do this on a per-user basis in case you want to share media with friends/family over the internet but don't want them destroying your internet connection.

Emby will also act as a DNLA server should you need that (some smart TVs, you are a masochist, etc.)

In the case of transcoding the server you run Emby on will need to be powerful enough to handle it - generally an i3 Intel CPU or better. Emby also supports QuickSync for hardware transcoding acceleration so a newer but low end i3 can be used. You can also get away with one of the newer 8-core Atoms like the 2750 for a true low-powered/cost server solution if you want to transcode.

The Emby server is the central location for managing all your media. As stated in the OP you do this through a (very slick) web interface where you can configure media sources, add plugins for things like subtitle downloads, trailers, and the like, set up transcoding/streaming options, and edit metadata (titles, coverart, etc.). You can also centrally manage Live TV here if you use it. Finally, you can set up and manage different user profiles here - useful if you want to share your server with friends but limit access, you need parental controls, you want all your clients to display the same set of options, etc.

The server also supports offline syncing for some clients (such as Android mobile) and can also sync media to cloud providers like Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc. The former is useful if you are travelling on a plane/somewhere with limited/no internet and want to take some shows with you. The latter is good if you are at a remote location from your server that has decent internet but your home server bandwidth isn't quite up to on demand streaming.

Emby manages the watched/progress status on the server, so you can start playing media on one type of client and resume it on another. This even works with offline syncing, as long as your offline device is able to update the server at some point.

Other stuff:

The Elephant: Emby vs. Plex or, isn't this Plex?

Emby and Plex are very similar, yes. Both work in a client-server model, offer various multi-platform transcoding options, central metadata management, and more. Both have free/open source cores and offer various for-pay options for things like offline syncing and advanced mobile features. Both have fairly slick web interfaces.

Getting in to a war over why there are two or which is better is a lot like arguing over Android vs. iOS - it is pretty much a waste of time. Both have their strengths and can be tried for free; pick the one that appeals to you.

Plex has been around longer (though Emby's previous variant, MediaBrowser, has been kicking around for a few years too). It's still ahead on the syncing/transcoding side though Emby has come a long way in the last few months. It has broader/better client support on the iOS side and already has a well-regarded TvOS client for the new Apple TV out. I also think the Roku client has a slight edge, looks-wise, though both are perfectly functional.

Emby has similar central metadata management but most users like the way they handle it better than Plex - you can edit media metadata both directly (i.e. from the page describing said media) as well as centrally via a dedicated metadata section. It's hard to describe but basically it makes editing a lot of things at once a snap. It's really powerful and really convenient since any changes are automatically shown on all clients/platforms. The old XBMC days of managing a central library with mySQL are over.

Speaking of XBMC/Kodi, the number 1 reason most people choose Emby these days is because of how they support the former. Emby provides a Kodi addon that transparently integrates with - replaces, really - the default Kodi libraries for movies, tv shows, and music. As far as Kodi is concerned it's using the same library as always, but behind the scenes it's Emby. This is incredibly convenient because it means you can use any Kodi skin, addon, player, etc.

I personally think Emby has a better plugin system than Plex, and there are certainly more of them, but this is a matter of preference, really.

Emby also recently added Live TV integration in to the server itself. This is still in a limited phase - it only works with certain HDHR network tuners, and Schedules Direct (meaning it's pretty much US only right now) however if you fit the use case it is pretty convenient since it provides an EPG and TV to all clients. It supports timeshifting and recording as well (for non-DRM channels).

Emby has come a long way in just the last 6 months. If you haven't tried it in a while, or at all, it's worth checking out, especially if you are a current Kodi user using a shared mySQL library. Plex users would be well served to take a look as well, if for no other reason than to see a different take on the same ideal.

Note: I am not affiliated with the Emby project (or Plex).

Feel free to add other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

Tip for people using Kodi. You can either use path substitution, or you can change your library to use the UNC paths. This is what I did - I changed my library to point to \\desktop\movies and then shared the movies folder so Everyone(Guest) has read access to it. This then works fine with Kodi to direct play the file.

Kind of a pain to switch the library locations, but not a big deal since like I posted above Emby just read my local metadata so it was relatively quick to re-scan my library locations.

Generally speaking - meaning what you are doing might work better for you - path substitution is the better route; here's why:

If you are in a situation where you need to do this in the first place - primarily, you are hosting the Emby server on the same box as where you have the media in question - it's better to point Emby to the local resource instead of a shared path. In the latter case, Emby server itself will use the local system network protocol (SMB, etc) to access the files, which at the least is an added layer of complexity you don't need and at worst could introduce problems or impact performance.

With path substitution - which is dead simple to set up - you get the best of both worlds. Emby will have direct block level drive access to the media, and when remote clients request said media it'll just pass the network share name you mapped - Emby itself doesn't actually implement network sharing, that is still your server doing it, so it works in exactly the same way as adding the media to Emby with the network path as far as clients are concerned.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

xcore posted:

I'm confused by this Emby/Kodi relationship.

If I move over from Plex and use this on my devices, do I just use this, or do I use Kodi as well? Is there functionality that Kodi has that I won't be getting from Emby or are previous Kodi users just excited by this because it can bring across all the custom skins and the like that they installed previously?

Kodi users like it because it offers the kind of central media management and mobile/streamer client support that Plex does, while at the same time they (we) can continue to use Kodi on the devices that best support it, like a "primary" HTPC or a Shield or something.

As for why use Kodi over the native client, that is a different discussion. Honestly, I think the Emby (and for that matter, Plex) clients are just as nice and probably easier to use for folks new to this/random family/etc. Kodi does offer a number of things such as better addons and such and of course you can skin it to make it look as nice (or hideous) as you like, but the main difference right now in terms of pure functionality is Kodi can do refresh rate adjustments based on content, even on Android TV (on devices that support it) and Emby can't. Plex I believe just added it as a beta feature. This is a big deal for 24p movie playback (most blu ray sources) and the like.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

trilljester posted:

Offline sync to iOS clients is the main reason why I have not tried Emby yet. Are there plans to include support for that?

Yes, and with the current fast pace of updates to the iOS client I wouldn't be surprised if it lands in the next month.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Lowen SoDium posted:

More on this: I have a Sandy Bridge Celeron on my file server and it handles transcoding just fine (for one stream. 2 streams can get dicey if they are high resolution).

Also, Emby's use of Intel Quicksync is limited to the playback part of transcoding. That is, it using Quicksync to accelerate the decoding part, but the re-encoding is still done in software. I think they are working on this, but for time being, Quicksync doesn't make a huge difference.

They just released the update which supports transcoding this morning, in fact.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Cool, if you can't figure it out post a log on here or the Emby forums. I did find this from today, let me know if that does anything.

That could be it; I pre-cached my textures and don't see this problem.

Sounds like they will fix it pretty quick, which means check the Kodi addon beta builds section of the forum first.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Does anyone know if Emby can be made to do "partial" transcoding like Plex?

For example, if you play a file with h264 video and AC3 audio on a device that can play h264 video, but not decode AC3 audio, Plex will only transcode the audio portion of the stream and just copy the video. Resulting it very little CPU usage on the server. Emby on the otherhand, transcodes both the video and audio any time this situation comes up.

It used to, then there was some change related to browser-based playback that I think had unintended consequences for this (there are various scattered threads about it), and the latest I have seen is it's being worked on and should already work for some clients.

Short answer is it should do this by default when applicable.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Thanks for that link, I forgot that you can just use the web player for now as a workaround. I guess I'll just do that.

Last time I tried the web interface on the Xbone it wasn't half-bad, the Xbone interface makes navigating around with a controller or remote a lot easier than in a desktop browser and Emby already has one of the best web clients around.

It's not as good as a true app would be for a lot of reasons but it's a pretty decent workaround until the Universal app is released. They (Emby devs) were waiting for the Xbone refresh that happened in November since that added Universal app support and a whole lot of other behind the scenes stuff that's important for apps.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The Emby Theater client changes refresh based on content and has MadVR baked in for resolution and chroma upscaling. Also passes dolby D and DTS out. Do people not know about Emby Theater and use the dumb web player? I don't know what the point of Kodi is now other than a skin.

Well, there's the small matter of Emby Theater being a Windows only client and we were talking about Android devices. And it's also end of life - they are working on a universal app for Windows now.

Other than that, sure, it's a fine client.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Does anyone know where the movie intro files are stored for the plugin? The ones that play in the background when selecting what you want to watch?
I have a problem with the same movie snippet playing in the background for most of the movies I select and I need to blow it out.

Also a new intro version of Emby Theater is out for paying guys. So I guess it isn't dead yet!

I am testing it. It's in serious alpha state, but that is expected. Should please the MadVR-Windows HTPC holdouts though.

Interface-wise it's just like the Android, etc. app which I believe is the point. Ironically even as an alpha it's better than the (sanctioned third party) Windows 8/10 app available on the MS store.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

That's about why I still use it, and matching the framerate. Is there something wrong with madvr?

No, it's the de facto standard for getting the best video quality on an HTPC still, I believe. Used by some of the AVSForum crowd who run HTPCs with PJs and large screens that are measured in feet. Only issue is it requires a Windows HTPC which always seem to require more fiddling.

I am a PJ user myself and don't use it (or any pre-processor). It's something of a contentious topic in HTPC circles because the improvement gained is either really slight or smoke and mirrors, depending on who you ask. You have to be really picky, and have top-shelf equipment, to really benefit from it in my opinion. Most people will be just fine with a simpler Linux based HTPC like OpenElec or Android TV if they take the time to calibrate it with one of the many calibration videos out there.

Emby Theater is beloved by users who care more than that, the types who buy Colorimeters and obsess over greyscale settings. These are the users who go to the trouble of installing custom video player software or use software like Mediaportal that allow for alternate codecs/processors. If you are one of those you already know it :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

^^ Thanks

I fall in this category of all of the above, only thing I have yet to do is get a meter.

X-Rite makes the best ones for home (i.e. you aren't a commercial calibrator) use. They are a little pricey at $250+ but if you take the time and have some idea of what you are doing you'll get grayscale dialed in as well as your display can handle it, which is almost certainly better than it's set without it. An ISO calibrator will probably charge $4-500 to do the same thing (but will also probably do a better job of it if they aren't a tool).

However most people will probably be ok with using the Disney Wow! DVD or one of the free calibration .mkv files available on AVSForum.com. Just getting brightness/contrast dialed in that way and tweaking color, tint, and sharpness is generally enough to result in a much better/more accurate picture.

If you have a high end display device, watch content from the best sources (like a decent BD player) and are really picky - or you have a display that just defaulted to a really lovely gray scale with color bleed - then calibration either professionally or DYI with a meter is a good option.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've used the WOW disc and have been mostly satisfied with it. I've tweaked and tweaked. I just have to eventually break down and get a meter.

Maybe hire pro first? They will probably see things you don't.

I don't bother with anything beyond basic calibration when I am dealing with content served by Emby/NAS (which is still more than most people probably do). I know some folks serve up direct BD rips though where it might matter more.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

chef posted:

Plan is to run Emby on the main PC and run HDMI to both TVs via splitter. What app do I need to run this on the TVs? Emby Theater? I had XBMC in the past, but would prefer not to fiddle around so much. The PC is always on, so this should work by setting the HDMI output as the extended display and leaving Emby on there, right? I also have an ancient HTPC that may just work out- otherwise I can build a new one I suppose.

Primer: Emby (like Plex) consists of two destinct components:

Emby Server. This is a middleware solution that runs on a large variety of OS's. You tell Emby server where your media is. At the file level it needs to be somewhat organized (i.e. named correctly) but it's generally pretty good at figuring everything out. It will go grab metadata (which is a term that literally means data about data - so descriptions, actors, fanart, posters, etc.) for everything, or use the metadata you already have, your choice. Generally runs on a dedicated file server that also stores your media, though you can both run the client and server on the same PC and store the media somewhere else if you really want to. Most people like to keep things simple.

It will then present, via an API driven interface, all this to:

Emby Client. This is the other half, the part you actually browse and watch stuff with. There are clients for just about everything (except the new Apple TV, which is in the works). Android and Android TV clients are pretty popular.

There is also an addon for Kodi. The way this works is it acts like a built in Emby client that syncs everything to the default Kodi library. Without getting in to how the sausage is made, this means Kodi will work like Kodi and Emby just runs in the background. It is extremely popular with Kodi users since it essentially a much more polished way to share one media library with multiple clients.

Emby works on a "thin client" principle - "heavy" work is done by the server, while the clients job is to present and play media in the smoothest manner possible on small, low power devices (generally speaking). This means, for example, that if the client device you are running Emby on (say, a Roku) can't natively decode a certain media format, or the bitrate is too high or whatever, Emby server will transparently transcode the media on the fly to a format it will - all you do is press play and magic happens, essentially.

It works really well for the most part and allows you to put together a wide selection of devices you might already have laying around. For example, I have a Fire TV, two Shield TVs, and an older Roku 3 in my house. All my media is on a central FreeBSD (FreeNAS) server that also runs Emby server. All my watched statuses, etc. are kept on the server so I can start watching a show on one TV and finish it on another (or a mobile device even). Emby Server also supports multiple users for things like watched status and media access. If you have fast enough internet you can even share it with clients outside your house.

Emby with Kodi is a bit different in that Kodi doesn't operate on a client-server model. Kodi can natively decode most formats on its own...assuming it is running on hardware that can handle it. The debate over which approach is better is truly tedious and spergy and also doesn't matter because the Emby addon for Kodi works with it just fine either way.

For your setup - You'd probably be best off with Kodi+Emby addon downstairs , Kodi has dedicated screen support so you can set it to run on one screen and not the other. The current Emby Theater for Windows client is a bit long in the tooth and the new one is still in alpha stages.

With that said I expect this setup to act Wonky and generally piss you off from having to fiddle with it on a regular basis. You are much better off with:

A) A reasonably fast way to serve files over your local network. It doesn't need to have superpowers, priorities are 1) Reliability 2) Capacity 3) Streaming performance (if/when you have clients that need transcoding) and 4) Power usage. Aim for the balance of those 4 that suits your needs the best. Ideally you want a file/Emby server that sits in the corner, can be managed via web browser when needed, and doesn't need to be hosed with. Bonus points if you have some kind of disk redundancy so you don't get borked if a hard drive fails (hard drives will fail). This generally rules out non-server versions of Windows however plenty of people use it with that so don't let me put you off. I prefer a FreeNAS setup, which trades an incredible amount of loving around/configuring up front for not having to gently caress around with it once it is set up.

B) A small client device for your TVs. If you want to run Kodi, the Fire TV is a good choice (I am still not a fan of the Fire Stick w/Kodi, but others are) with the Shield TV a nice "step up" device. Or if you just want to run the native client for Emby itself (it has gotten to be pretty good) anything, really, the Roku will work fine.

chef posted:

Audio will go upstairs from Emby over wifi to a chromecast audio to the receiver. (My wife likes Pandora, this won't screw anything up will it? I don't want to turn Emby on/off all the time)

Don't quite know what you mean here. Emby (the server piece, not the client) is really just middleware between your files and your clients...that is one common use case, anyway. If you mean, use the Emby client on your phone to beam music on your Emby server downstairs to your Chromecast upstairs then yes that should work fine.

chef posted:

How do I control things? It would be great to use our phones/ipads as remotes- would that work for 3 separate devices? I do have an old Harmony I used with XBMC in the past.

If you don't want to mess with an IR setup (short answer there: Spend $15 on an Flirc or run the client on a device that already has a remote, like the Roku or FireTV) then yes the Emby client itself can also act as a dedicated remote. I think you can pick between client devices with it though it's probably pretty wonky. There's also a nice Kodi remote app that does the same thing.

chef posted:

I do have a decent router with USB- any benefit to using that to setup some kind of NAS or something? Most media is on external HDDs. Any other things I can/should do?

That may work...could work...don't recommend it though. Your best bet would be to consolidate your storage and media on the PC running Emby server. It will present everything to your clients anyway, that's one of the main reasons people use Emby.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about the Roku Emby app?

My dad is going to put a TV in his shop and I'm thinking about telling him to get one of those TCL tvs with Roku built-in as that seems like the easiest route to get him streaming from me.

However, if it's difficult to use or whatever I'll tell him to go a different route.

It's perfectly fine. Simple to use and stuff plays when you click it, which, in the end, is really the baseline right? :) He'll have no problem with it. It's almost too simple.

I think Plex wins the prize for "best looking Roku app" but the Emby one is no slouch. The Android apps (including FireTV) are better looking but that's more due to Roku than anything else.

The bigger question is what is Emby Server running on and how is your connection? The Roku still has fairly limited codec/container support so a lot of videos will end up being transcoded. Since you will be remote streaming stuff that would probably happen anyway unless your upload and his download speeds are top-notch but it's something to keep in mind.

I have 20mbps upload (claimed by my ISP) but usually keep it at 5mbps for remote streaming in Emby (one of the nice things about Emby server is you can limit remote client bandwidth). This results in a lot of transcoding. My FreeNAS Emby server has a Xeon E5 CPU so it's no big deal but may be depending on your setup.

Oh, and if you are streaming to a Roku make sure you have the "Create Thumbnails" task set to run at regular intervals (under Emby Server settings, scheduled tasks). That will create .bif files specifically for the Roku. What that does is create those little thumbnail pics you see when you fast-forward, etc. through a video on the Roku (clients like Netflix, etc. already do it) - it's really convenient for seeing where in a video you want to go. In fact I wish more clients supported it.

Edit: totally forgot - my brother in law has one of those TCL TVs for his kids. Overall it works well, though there are better TVs out there picture wise for around the same money. He occasionally streams from me too.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 25, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, check the Emby logs for permissions issues. Especially where FreeNAS is concerned - setting up CIFS sharing/permissions on it in general is not the most user friendly of processes and is really easy to get "wrong". I like FreeNAS a lot and it's gotten friendlier but it is definitely not a system that holds your hand through common tasks like this.

I also add (year) to my movie title folders like Gunslinger, that works better with most any metadata scanner.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

I ran emby off of a windows based desktop pointed to the same folder, just as a networked drive, and it found everything just fine. I'll look at permissions again, it's at least a good start at figuring it out

Emby on FreeNAS considerations:

Assuming you have added your media volumes to the Emby jail (if you see one and not the other and they are on separate volumes that is the first place I'd look).

"Guest" permissions can be tricky depending on how you set things up. Your Windows box is accessing the folders through the CIFS share - as long as you set up guest permissions correctly in FreeNAS for those that won't be a problem.

With an Emby jail however the usual method is to add your media via the local folders (which you would have attached to the jail). Then you do path substitution in Emby Server so that when a client requests access it gets a shared folder path in return instead of the local volume path. Otherwise you'll never be able to Direct Play anything in clients.

Emby can also do "Direct Streaming" which means if a client can't access the folder itself Emby will stream it instead. However this isn't optimal - if you have a client that can play the file directly (like Kodi) you should set up substitution instead.

The difference here is that for local paths (or if you are using share paths) Emby Server is the process that needs the correct permissions, not your client. And they aren't the same as the CIFS permissions.

Some people just add media to Emby Server using the network paths themselves instead of local. However this isn't a great idea either - while you can usually get it to work, it can be complicated and also puts more of a load on the server. You are also dealing with a local Samba client which may also lead to weird permission issues because Emby itself will be using the Jail SMB client not the one your client devices use.

The optimal way is:

Make sure all the volumes that have your media are added to the Emby Jail in FreeNAS.

Set the local volume permissions to a user:group like "Media". You can create a user in FreeNAS just for this - make note of the UID and GUID.

Give this user/group permission to access your media volumes (on the FreeNAS host, you can use the Web GUI)

In the Emby Jail itself (ssh command line) add a new user and group *to the jail* that matches the name and GUID/UID of the FreeNAS host server that you created. This confuses a lot of people! FreeNAS server users are not auto-transferred to jails for many reasons. What you are doing here is mapping the user/group from the jail to the host.

On the command line it would look like this:
code:
pw useradd -n USER -u UID -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin 
Where USER is the name of the user and UID is the User ID of said user on the FreeNAS host.

Then, change the user Emby runs under to this user/group. Like this:

code:
service Emby-server onestop
chown -R USER:GROUP /var/db/Emby-server
sysrc 'Emby-server_user=USER'
service PLUGIN start
Again, replacing USER:GROUP with your specific user...you get it.

Now in Emby server add the paths to the media folders using the local paths - they should just show up in the directory browser.

Then under advanced settings go to path substitution. Enter your local paths you added above here (like, /mnt/media/movies) and put in the shared folder path you'd like to be delivered to clients (like \\myfreenasserverip\movies)

Finally, double check the CIFS permissions for these folders on the FreeNAS server host. You can "map" the guest user to the user you created above - that way any client that doesn't provide login credentials will default to guest, and since the guest user is mapped to the actual user that has local permissions you will be set.

This process is convoluted, I know. The good news is you only have to do it once :) There's nothing about it that doesn't make sense when you think it through but as I pointed out earlier FreeNAS doesn't exactly hold your hand through this process.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Falco posted:

Ok, so I may be missing something, but as a Kodi add on, can Emby function as just a database and not add a bunch of extra categories to Kodi? I love the idea of it running as a database in the background, but was not a fan of all of the extra categories it added to our Kodi install.

You are missing something for sure because at its core the Emby addon for Kodi just syncs the built in Kodi library with the Emby backend server, which is exactly what you want. You can access extra categories, etc. directly through the addon itself, and certain skins support additional features, but the basic functionality of the addon installation just works with the "regular" Kodi movie/tv/music libraries.

It does *replace* the built in library - you can't run a local Kodi library (with local media) and an Emby library for example. Well, maybe you could, but I can't imagine that would work well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

What do you mean by "categories"?

It sounds like he/she is directly browsing the Emby addon itself in Kodi, not via library. If you go to Programs/addons/video/Emby (some skins may expose this in a more up front way than others) you'll get a bare-bones text-view of the Emby categories. That's not really how the addon is meant to be used though.

I suspect there is a fair amount of confusion from users who "try out" Emby by installing the server somewhere - like on a local Windows PC - point it at whereever their media is at - which may be the same source they have Kodi using, if it is on a NAS/share - and just install the addon. That's not a great way to use it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Electronico6 posted:

Turning off auto-updates from Titan has saved me from countless embarrassments during movie night.

I just think it's some bad coding or bad update structure and the skin can't update while it's running. Thus crashing and spitting you back to confluence when you reboot, only for you to find that Titan "is not installed" when you try to put it back on the appearance settings, forcing a manual update/reinstall.

This is correct - Titan does a bad job updating when it's the active skin. Best solution currently is the one you are using, which is to disable auto-updates and just keep up with it manually. And when you do manually update it, switch to Confluence first. Works like a charm.

Of course, this method kind of sucks, but I don't update it that often anyway. It's been reported numerous times so a fix is somewhere in the offing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Milkman posted:

Is playback through Emby Connect/external connections a premium feature? I just got Emby set up on my new NAS at home and tried to play some music at the office and it was cutting off songs. At first I thought it was busted but then when I tunneled in over OpenVPN everything played fine.

I know the mobile apps have IAP for full playback but the web interface is gated too? I mean I'll probably shell out for the lifetime pass at some point but I thought web playback was a gimme.

Edit: They're cutting off at ~ 1:43 in, even over VPN now, but only on the first play? Skipping ahead also seems to work. No It's just that amount of time of playing the track from whatever start

They don't restrict playback like that, no. The premium features are around things like extra plugins for stuff like enhanced coverart and offline syncing for mobile devices. What you have is another problem. If you are trying this at your office it is entirely possible some IDS is detecting the stream and shutting it down, for example. Doesn't matter if "other" streams work, might be something in particular about the way this one looks.

Did you ask over on the Emby Community forums/search there? They are pretty good about looking in to this stuff, particularly if you provide logs.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Milkman posted:

We're a small company, we don't have a particularly fancy network setup, just a SOHO router + business class service. I also tried it against tethering off my phone's LTE and got the same behavior, that's why I didn't suspect connection issues.

Now I'm out and trying it on a xfinity hotspot and it's working great. I'll try it tomorrow and try to gather better data and post over there if it happens again.

Remember to grab the logs (on your client and from the server) next time it happens.

For the Android client I believe logs are in /sdcard/Emby/logs (use ES File Explorer to browse/transfer, it's easiest, unless they have added a way to do this in the Emby client itself recently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

I wanna redo my HTPC software and it seems like a good time to switch Kodi from using a MySQL database on my server to using Emby. The one thing holding me back is TV shows like Aeon Flux, Futurama, and Firefly that I have saved in "DVD Order". I don't see an easy way of setting this in Emby. I guess I could manually update the info for Aeon Flux and Firefly as it's only a few episodes, but gently caress if I'm doing that for the 100+ Futurama episodes.

I'm thinking I should output the current Kodi data into nfo files for those shows. That should update them in Emby, right? I've had Emby ignore one or two nfo files for unknown reasons, so I want to avoid any problems.

You can tell Emby to prioritize "local data" like said nfo files, yes. How well it will work for 100+ Futurama episodes I couldn't say but it worked for me when I used Emby to get Firefly to play in the right order (the DVD one).

• Locked thread