Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Alford was a bad hire.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 10 29.41%
Yes. 8 23.53%
Yes. 9 26.47%
Yes. 7 20.59%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I can't wait for the first hot take article about how his name shouldn't be pronounced like Derek. Or do people even care enough about Northwestern to write hot take articles?

They will care when they get an NIT home game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Jamal Murray a good player? I am so confused right now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

They will care when they get an NIT home game

I know what you're trying to do and it's not fooling me. There is NCAA hope in your heart. You know they would ignore the RPI and give you a pity invite if you get to 21-10 (9-9).

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What the gently caress Xavier gently caress

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

What the gently caress Xavier gently caress

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Raise your hand if you had Oklahoma, SMU, and South Carolina as the last three undefeated teams.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao and Butler blows an 11 point halftime lead and is about to go down in 61 seconds. All because they can't guard the 3 point line. gently caress.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Really impressed with Iowa. Again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
God imagine if they hadn't completely poo poo themselves against ISU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where's this Dererk guy I want to see Maryland lose!

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Two games into conference play, Nevada has matched their win total (9) from all of last season.

Muscle Man seems to be working out for us so far.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cancel northwestern sports

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Virginia beat Notre Dame pretty easily, and played two good halves for the first time this year. Still not sure what their ceiling is. So far the team hasn't missed Justin Anderson's offense nearly as much as I'd expected, but they miss Darion Atkins and his ACC-best defense a hell of a lot.

NC State's season meanwhile is pretty much off the rails, they blew a 10-point halftime lead and eventually the game in OT at Virginia Tech. State's ACC schedule is horrible for where they're at; they don't get VT back in Raleigh, and only get BC, Clemson, and Georgia Tech once each. Other games they might have a chance in at home are away instead: Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse. Forget the NCAA streak, Pack might not even make the NIT this time around.

(I mean, actually the season went off the rails with Terry Henderson's injury, which made a thin team even thinner and forced the freshmen into too many minutes. Or before that, Gottfried apparently failing to consider that Lacey might want to start making money rather than play college ball aged 25.)

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The ACC doesn't have many decent teams. They have a good amount of very good to great teams, and then just a ton of poo poo. Which is good for Virginia fans. We just had a really tough run of games, and we now have a really easy stretch until traveling to Louisville at the end of the month.

Valentine's Day through the end of the year is brutal though

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina beat Memphis 86-76 last night to finish its nonconference schedule 13-0. Beating Memphis was essential for both our RPI and taking another step toward credibility. The SEC schedule should be really interesting -- we only play Kentucky once, and get most of our hardest games at home. Need to take care of business on the road, though, which has been a long-running issue for this team.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I just looked at SC's schedule and even your SEC schedule is weak. You don't get any of the good teams twice

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Ungratek posted:

The ACC doesn't have many decent teams. They have a good amount of very good to great teams, and then just a ton of poo poo. Which is good for Virginia fans. We just had a really tough run of games, and we now have a really easy stretch until traveling to Louisville at the end of the month.

Valentine's Day through the end of the year is brutal though

Miami is wholly capable of winning at the JPJ, if they have one of their freakish worldbeating games—of course they're capable of losing by 20 as well. Florida State in Tallahassee is about the same.

If UVA lives up to the Kenpom prediction (losses at Louisville, Duke, Miami plus one other random one), that would be a hell of a year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Didn't mean to imply each game would be walk, but it's still a really easy patch as far as conference scheduled go

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn opened conference play yesterday beating Tennessee on national TV. Team isn't there yet but they drain threes and block shots so they're pretty fun at least. Some costly injuries already but we've already built a little bit of depth we didn't have last year and could take a big step forward if Danjel Purfoy is cleared.

South Carolina on Tuesday; say what you want about ESPN and the SEC Network but I'm really glad basically all our games are on TV now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

As a fan of an SEC team I can say with 100% confidence that the SEC Network does, in fact, rule.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jarrod Uthoff, a natural small forward who plays mostly on the perimeter even when he is nominally playing power forward, is fourth in the country in blocked shots. They do not keep this stat but I have to assume he is leading the country by a mile in "blocked shots at least 15 feet away from the basket".

We are such a weird loving team. Our best players include: Uthoff, who is a 6'9" 180 pound ferretman with 12 foot long arms, a ginger point guard, a Sudanese guy with no knee cartilage, a 7 foot center who cannot dunk, a gangly 6'7" (maybe) 160 pound (maybe) white freshman walkon, and a black German guy with Wesley Stokes' haircut. Somehow we beat Top 10 KenPom teams in consecutive games and are in first place in the Big Ten.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember wanting Uthoff at Virginia. I don't remember why, but I'm not surprised he's doing well for you. Bennett has a good eye for talent.

Virginia plays at Virginia Tech tonight. The Cavs are way better than the Hokies, but it's at Tech, and their stadium REALLY sucks, and they always give us a good game. So I'm a little nervous.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a really talented guy. Even the two previous season when we had Dev Marble and then Aaron White as the go to guys you could tell Uthoff was the guy with the highest ceiling. He has nice jumper he can get off from pretty much anywhere because he's so tall, he has a crafty game around the basket, and he's a very good rebounder/shotblocker who can create havoc on defense with his length. It'd be nice if he were a little stronger (ISU really took him out of the game in the second half by just bodying him up) and was a little more assertive at times, but he's been a great player for us and is playing like a conference player of the year and All American candidate so far this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I remember wanting Uthoff at Virginia. I don't remember why, but I'm not surprised he's doing well for you. Bennett has a good eye for talent.

Virginia plays at Virginia Tech tonight. The Cavs are way better than the Hokies, but it's at Tech, and their stadium REALLY sucks, and they always give us a good game. So I'm a little nervous.

Me too. I haven't watched a second of VT basketball, and it appears their games against ranked teams have been pretty bad (with the exception of Northwestern), but I still think back to 3-4 years ago when Erick Green beat us by himself. Man that was an ugly game, gently caress Sammy Zeglinski http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320220258

Ungratek posted:

Didn't mean to imply each game would be walk, but it's still a really easy patch as far as conference scheduled go

I can't wait to have multiple heart attacks twice a week from Valentines Day through March 5th.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
god why didn't unlv try to keep lon kruger :negative:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

New polls. Yay meaningless ranking.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
It's nice to see us above Sparty, but for fucks sake if we get put in their bracket again this year I will have an aneurysm

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

#1 vs #1 tonight, 9pm E

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Kansas -7 seems awfully high, but I guess the numbers bear it out.

opks22
Dec 12, 2003

Something wicked this way comes.

Well #1 vs #1 lived up to the hype and then some. What an amazing game. Great win for the Jayhawks. Oh, and Buddy Hield is really good at basketball.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I love "Perry Ellis is old" jokes:

Jackson O.G. Martin ‏@JogMartin posted:

Perry Ellis just hit a 3 -- a shot that did not exist when he began his career at Kansas

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Really glad I remembered that was on with a few minutes left in regulation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I made a January thread since it's a new year.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

There were so few posts in this one that I figured we'd just keep it around forever, but this works too.

Ciao, thread.

• Locked thread