Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Alford was a bad hire.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 10 29.41%
Yes. 8 23.53%
Yes. 9 26.47%
Yes. 7 20.59%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

How fast is Skal Labissiere's draft stock plummeting?

He's only in the like 2-5 range now just because he's toolsy and it's not a very good class, but Simmons is a mile out in front of everyone else now when before a few people were pushing that Skal could challenge him.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Skal looked completely lost last night, and probably would have played even less had Lee not got hurt.

Really wishing Dakari had come back. I don't follow the NBA at all, is he even on a team right now?

He's on the Thunder's d-league team. He's gonna have a really hard time making their actual roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a bad coach and garage person and if there were any justice he'd suffer acute hair gel poisoning

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I am about the most pessimistic person in the world, but for once I have a good feeling about Iowa! I think they will win at Iowa State 75-73.

The last Iowa game I had a good feeling about was Michigan State last year where Iowa blew an 11 point halftime lead and lost 75-61. So congrats Cyclones I guess!

Dude they are gonna get run out of the gym

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

This is based more on a feeling than any kind of rational belief. Please just let me get my hopes and dreams crushed twice in a week like an idiot.

edit: and they did win at UNC last year so you never know

This is a worse Iowa team against a better opponent. I mean they could win I just don't see anything that would lead me to predict it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bilas did that last year too for one of the manager games, I don't remember who it was against (I want to say either ISU or Michigan State). Him tweeting scouting reports of our student managers is a long time running joke.

Our basketball managers are not nearly as hardcore as the football ones, who regularly give themselves serious injuries in the way too serious flag football game against the Wisconsin managers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only tragedy is that the injury won't prevent him from writing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Man I don't want to hear it from you right now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If it's even remotely close Iowa will 100% for sure lose because we are goddamn awful in close games under Fran. Still worth it for the overall improvement of the program but goddamn can it be frustrating

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sure why not. Hi

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I love all of you equally

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Naz Long from ISU is out for the year with a hip injury. He was not shooting very well so far this year, but they were pretty thin as it is, even with Burton joining the roster.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
hold up gonna try to get feel bad for them here for suffering the indignity of only having a 3 star commitment

wait for it

I think I've got it

almost

oh nope, nevermind, gently caress kansas

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 15, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

You don't have to feel bad for them. But their recruiting was basically supplanted by Duke when K decided to go after one and dones.

A 210 pound power forward is bad no matter who you are though.

Counterpoint: Aaron White, Bitch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

And yet, I can't get you on the gently caress Kentucky bandwagon. The hell is this poo poo.

Coach Cal is rad.

Kentucky in its current form where it undermines the principles of amateurism, gets kids paid like crazy, and makes old people clutch their pearls is cool. If he leaves then I might change my mind.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 16, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On one hand I want to watch him suffer through a disaster of a season but on the other I was afraid he'll somehow black magic his way into finishing like third in the big ten so this is good.

(And obviously if it's a health thing then that sucks and even I would be bummed)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

aslan posted:

Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer last spring. Before that, rumors were that Ryan was going to announce his retirement at the end of that season--most people think he only agreed to do another year in order to give Gard some more time with his family before the transition. But since Gard's father has passed and the school's in between semesters, they figured that this was probably as good a time to make the switch as they're gonna get. (There are also some rumors that the AD, Alvarez isn't sold on Gard as the coach and wants to bring in somebody from a bigger school, so Ryan is giving Gard a chance to do something with the team before that happens . . . thus why they're not waiting 'til the end of the year.)

woah woah woah, barry alvarez and a wisconsin coach had some conflict???????

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Go Iowa.

Agreed!

Before the season our early Big Ten schedule looked stupidly difficult, and it still mostly is, but we did kinda wind up lucking out in that we play both games against MSU early while Valentine is either out or in one of his very first games back from his injury.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I think that is the only Iowa victory I refuse to acknowledge the existence of.

gently caress that, that game was hilarious.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

This is the year you'll make the tourney trust me

Iowa seemed borderline at the start of the year but at this point if they don't make it it'll feel really disappointing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah their OOC schedule was way better this year than it has been in the last three, and they didn't have any bad losses. It'll probably come down because the Big Ten is way down this year, but they have more of a cushion than they've had in the past.

Fran has the program in a pretty good place. They're not a national power or anything and next year could be pretty bad (they lose 4 starters and the only young guy playing well is the dang walk on), but recruiting is trending up and it seems like they can be where they were for most of the Davis years, where they should finish in the upper part of the conference and make the tournament most years. Hopefully now that people have seen just how low the floor for the program is they'll appreciate that a little more than they did back then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Somewhere in the 20s seems about right. KenPom has them like 13.

They're super perimeter oriented this year and don't have anyone who can reliably get to the basket (Gesell against MSU notwithstanding) or post up so I'm not expecting the free throw thing to change much. The guy who could do it is Uthoff but he's content to settle for jumpers and fades away on every single loving shot he takes, so it's not gonna happen. Thankfully they have a very good shooting team this year so far, which is a welcome change from the last couple years when they didn't have anyone aside from Uthoff reliably hitting outside shots and shot a billion long two pointers instead (they still do way too much of the latter)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
God imagine if they hadn't completely poo poo themselves against ISU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jarrod Uthoff, a natural small forward who plays mostly on the perimeter even when he is nominally playing power forward, is fourth in the country in blocked shots. They do not keep this stat but I have to assume he is leading the country by a mile in "blocked shots at least 15 feet away from the basket".

We are such a weird loving team. Our best players include: Uthoff, who is a 6'9" 180 pound ferretman with 12 foot long arms, a ginger point guard, a Sudanese guy with no knee cartilage, a 7 foot center who cannot dunk, a gangly 6'7" (maybe) 160 pound (maybe) white freshman walkon, and a black German guy with Wesley Stokes' haircut. Somehow we beat Top 10 KenPom teams in consecutive games and are in first place in the Big Ten.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a really talented guy. Even the two previous season when we had Dev Marble and then Aaron White as the go to guys you could tell Uthoff was the guy with the highest ceiling. He has nice jumper he can get off from pretty much anywhere because he's so tall, he has a crafty game around the basket, and he's a very good rebounder/shotblocker who can create havoc on defense with his length. It'd be nice if he were a little stronger (ISU really took him out of the game in the second half by just bodying him up) and was a little more assertive at times, but he's been a great player for us and is playing like a conference player of the year and All American candidate so far this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

New polls. Yay meaningless ranking.

• Locked thread