Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so I'm setting up a small business and there are a handful of things I need a help with. and who else is better to ask than the pos.

So this isn't a new business, it's currently owned

things I need to do and or deal with

there is a website. I am making a new website but idk about transferring urls or domains or whatever. i dont even know the terminologies or what I need to know in order to do so

email on said url... rent a seervice like fastmail.com or my ISP and use the url to do sometrhingt with ut??? i need the 101

a decent colour laser printer. part of this business is priting out certificates. doing enought that my own gear would probably be cheaper in the long run. i have a feeling that $100 job is gonna be poo poo. i know next to nothing about decent grade poo poo

I have the mac lappy but a particular piece of simulation software requires windows so how do I bootcamp? thats the thing right

poo poo how worthless am I

also I can't pay anyone anything for this priceless advice. maybe I coul;d send you a tin of reduced cream if you transform my understanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i need a brand statement, as well as a mission, vision, and core values proposition before i can proceed

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

what kind of business

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
how many emails do you need? google apps is $50 per user per year but you can have unlimited aliases

joke answer
make your own mail server

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

what kind of business

resuscitation training

it's already established n poo poo

Perplx posted:

how many emails do you need? google apps is $50 per user per year but you can have unlimited aliases

joke answer

um, some? currently it's not a big business, once weve ironed out a bit of stuff its only gonna like 1-2 days a week work. just to add felxibility to our lives really. potential to grow for sure (cpr training aint going away any time soon, think of the leagues of blue collar workers doing this poo poo for health and safety as part of requirements, although specifically this targets higher level training like the poo poo Drs and etc have to do butr ulatimtely all the same)

make my own? host it at my hosue? gently caress dat isnt that what the cloud is for? im gon upgrade my hoje internet to business so presumsblay they will do email but what I need to know how about like make it so that imap.email.com goes to my server or whatever? i only know the vaghuest of info

yard salad posted:

i need a brand statement, as well as a mission, vision, and core values proposition before i can proceed

get rich or let them die trying (to breathe)

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

there was a vine or something with this cat set to a boppy music, if anyone knows it i will love you forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

name it sexcopter [your business]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
is your wife going to be used as the resuscitation training dummy

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i'd buy a cloud solution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is your wife going to be used as the resuscitation training dummy

you fool

so I called the ISP and their business side will deal with email and the domain I guess I just need the deets for them to transfer

yard salad posted:

i'd buy a cloud solution

this isn't an internet business. plus someone else a time ago suggested a web page thing which seemed good and they were cloud based so yeah.. store nothing at the house.. make those clouds rain

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I thought hospitals would do this in house? but youve still got family docs etc i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah lots of family doctors around. and like rest homes etc. the more you think about it the more you realise how many industries and workplaces need resus training

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so laser printers huh

brother a good brand?

do apple still make a laser printer?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

plus someone else a time ago suggested a web page thing which seemed good and they were cloud based so yeah..

squarespace

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh gently caress can you still buy w7?

coz I can't really pirate with business poo poo. gently caress////// I dont NOT WANT anything wnmere. \

fcuuuuuuuu

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

echinopsis posted:

so laser printers huh

brother a good brand?

do apple still make a laser printer?

i bought one of these old fuckers from a previous employer and it works great and the cartridges are cheap. assuming you dont care about color

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

echinopsis posted:

oh gently caress can you still buy w7?

coz I can't really pirate with business poo poo. gently caress////// I dont NOT WANT anything wnmere. \

fcuuuuuuuu

i think there's even cloud-based windows instances you can get from someone, so you dont have to run bootcamp locally and your business partner could even log in to do whatever

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

will you accept bitcoin? y/n?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yard salad posted:

i bought one of these old fuckers from a previous employer and it works great and the cartridges are cheap. assuming you dont care about color

yeah colour is esesntialy its for printing out fancy certificates

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yard salad posted:

i think there's even cloud-based windows instances you can get from someone, so you dont have to run bootcamp locally and your business partner could even log in to do whatever

hmm this is all going to be out and about, not locally. dont wanna run cloud based poo poo on nz data plans soz..

i mean its s 256mb air surely there is enough space to run windiows. maybe windoiws 10 will be siufficient, i mean its windows not osx so old software generally will work right? thasts windows thing? allowing old softwarwe to run?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

yeah colour is esesntialy its for printing out fancy certificates

you can buy pre-printed certificate paper with all the fancy borders and background patterns. depending on numbers it might work out cheaper/easier to use that and just print it in a normal printer

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Perplx posted:

while you're at it, have someone punch you in the face and balls while shouting POSTFIX CONFIG

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sweevo posted:

you can buy pre-printed certificate paper with all the fancy borders and background patterns. depending on numbers it might work out cheaper/easier to use that and just print it in a normal printer

this is probably cheaper and more reasonable because good colour lasers are expensive as balls and the best use for an inkjet printer is during a fire when you need something to throw through a window

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

agreed. do whatever you can to avoid owning a color printer

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
Forsooth, Avatar! I wouldst gladly impart my own wisdom upon thee, for as thoust know, wisdom tis one of the principles from which the virtues spring.

However, I am afraid that thine own virtues are lacking. Perhaps thou shouldst return to Britannia later to resume thy quest.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i can help you do a SWOT analysis

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

also bootcamp is really easy. do it with windows 10 and it will be fine.

you can do everything in the cloud these days for the online stuff. if you like call up squarespace or whatever and say "i have x and i want to do y" they'll walk you through it, they want your busines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah square space will be good the challenge will be the domain stuff I guess

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

i can help you do a SWOT analysis

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my advice is to buy your domain through domains.google.com

reasons:
has wix and squarespare integration
cheap
free Whois privacy
easy Google email integration
etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

my advice is to buy your domain through domains.google.com

reasons:
has wix and squarespare integration
cheap
free Whois privacy
easy Google email integration
etc

I was just reading the email from the old owner regarding this stuff. I was just thinking about the decision to do this, it seems like they have a lot of their stuff already on/with google. The other option was to do it through the business ISP and host the email and the domain through them. My suspicion is that the service or help I could get would be significantly better than with google if I ever had problems

opinion?

thanks pram for pitching in, I appreciate it :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can you basically have like gmail, but with the sales@business.co.nz address I am thinking of using? that would be really handy I guess and you can still use email clients like the one on osx to connect to it right?

presumably I would want to set up an entirely new google account for all of this too? a bussiness one. if there like a business google account thing I need to look into or is it all the same and you just buy/add plans etc?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
yes it's called google apps op

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Google domains will automatically set up the mx records and stuff and yes the email would be echi@whatever.com and it will function like a gmail account

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I run google apps on my domain but my lovely wordpress site got compromised so i need to do this too

maybe i will transfer to google

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

also that nice textured paper is going to feel a lot more legit and fancy than just standard-weight copy paper

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

itll be especially nice when youre using the phone at my desk for some reason and take out a piece of that hyper expensive poo poo to scrawl someones phone number on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also that nice textured paper is going to feel a lot more legit and fancy than just standard-weight copy paper

well I was going to use fancy paper regardless

pram posted:

Google domains will automatically set up the mx records and stuff and yes the email would be echi@whatever.com and it will function like a gmail account

hmm this sounds appealing. I am torn a bit though, the ISP service appears to do all of this and is included in the monthly cost. plus I like the idea of local customer service. the google service on the on the other hand is probably the overall better service provided it works solidely...

I think I will stick with the google considering it's already on there...

cheers dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

itll be especially nice when youre using the phone at my desk for some reason and take out a piece of that hyper expensive poo poo to scrawl someones phone number on

this piece of paper is referenced on your CV and allows you to legally operate if you are like idk a doctor or nurse or vet or dentist or pharmacist or blue collar worker or work at a rest home

but yeah certificates are just expensive bits of paper. gently caress everything forever

• Locked thread