Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
leADDersnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hey kirk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whenever kirk is feeling down, he pops in to a poignant snipe, and grasps a few "hey kirk" replies, and his mood is corrected and he moves on with his day. god speed kirk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
until he's permabanned in exactly 29 days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use office365, op. much better than anything from goog

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
how cheap is goog domains anyway?

i use namecheap and it does like 10 or so email addys for free with the domain which is like $11 a year (usd i think) for a .com

of course .co.nz domains r more expense

good call not to go with isp tho i reckon echi unless u meant "hosting provider" cos nz isps r bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if only there were a way to find out

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

if they print enough that they would lose money because the printer is not working you should get two from a local company that services printers and has a contract. otherwise it doesn't matter because even the crappy hp inkjet do everything machines are cheap enough. this is the most expensive way to print per page and you will waste so much time with them.

printers with less features are more reliable and cheaper upfront in general.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lampey posted:

if they print enough that they would lose money because the printer is not working you should get two from a local company that services printers and has a contract. otherwise it doesn't matter because even the crappy hp inkjet do everything machines are cheap enough. this is the most expensive way to print per page and you will waste so much time with them.

printers with less features are more reliable and cheaper upfront in general.

yeah well I thought I'd be wanting to look at a commercial printer rather than a home one anyway. maybe I should contact a brother rep and see what they have to say

bobbilljim posted:

how cheap is goog domains anyway?

i use namecheap and it does like 10 or so email addys for free with the domain which is like $11 a year (usd i think) for a .com

of course .co.nz domains r more expense

good call not to go with isp tho i reckon echi unless u meant "hosting provider" cos nz isps r bad

I wouldnt be hosting any web with nz isp, just letting them handle domain poo poo and emails

whats hosed though is that I am currently with orcon home and wanna move to they business side but they want to charge $199 for breaking my 2 year contract... they guy saidf "ill give you $100 credit and more once you gert your cell phone plan with us". fuckin bullshit mate

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

tell them to rack off with the fee or you'll go with someone else lol. also lol orcon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so so what is the best way of dealing with massive client lists in an excel ssreadhseet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
perl

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the cpr card i get from the red cross is just a lovely raw text job that i print myself

but lol red cross

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
name

job

bye

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

seriosul;y am I going to have to learn sql or make my own database or something or is leaving poo poo in excel actually going to be the easiest???

George posted:

the cpr card i get from the red cross is just a lovely raw text job that i print myself

but lol red cross

yeah the "default" or "go to" CPR poo poo in nz is st johns and they do an ok job but we supply plenty more mannquins etc so you spend most of your time practising not just talking about it

we have a $25k mannequin that you can take its pulse and listen to it breathing and correctly hook up to an ECG its pretty neat ECEPt that the software it runs is windows only and apparently not even windows 10 and I doubt I can get a new license for w7 so I will be stuck bootcamping into w8 to run it :cry:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a trick for buying office for mac or pitfalls?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

I doubt I can get a new license for w7

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=485475 its in stock bruv

also u can write scripts 4 excel y not. like what 4 million people in nz, excel can take 1 mil rows

https://superuser.com/questions/366468/what-is-the-maximum-allowed-rows-in-a-microsoft-excel-xls-or-xlsx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks brother that is good to know. love me some windows 7. might even disable connectivity once installed and updated anyway :] it probably doesn't like that though

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
dont print your own poo poo unless you have a really really good reason to do so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cost?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
yeah, especially if the certs that you give out are not going to be thrown in the trash immediately. up 2 u my frind

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

is there a trick for buying office for mac or pitfalls?

yeah you buy pages

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is numbers good for when we need to create a slideshow on it to then play on the local windows machine? and is numbers good for huge excel spreadsheets?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
huge by your standards or huge by your wife's standards?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
keynote and pages are fantastic

numbers is a piece of poo poo

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

pram posted:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

pram posted:

seriously is there another spreadsheet program that works as well as excel? numbers sucks, google sheets sucks, gnumeric sucks

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
OpenOffice calc is okay. but actually it kinda sucks too

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

pram posted:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
echi windows 10 is good just fyi

it's windows 7+ pretty much, just with better performance and a slightly shittier interface

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
calling windows 10's interface "slightly shittier" is bordering on mendacious

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

lmfao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blackula69 posted:

it's windows 7+ pretty much, just with better performance and a slightly shittier interface

eh we decided i might just 'rate it, its gonna be used for a couple of hours a month tops. wgas

Ericadia posted:

OpenOffice calc is okay. but actually it kinda sucks too

its for feeling like youre running office 1998

since excel is the main one of the bunch I'll bite the bullet. and none of this subscriptions poo poo either I dont want to uprgade i will be content using it for many decades to come

i wish I could just buy excel on its own. oh and powerpoint. keynote would own but there will be times when we have to run them from windows machines. unless someone can tell me there is a windows keynote player I could put on a usb stick and reliably run 100+% of the time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

huge by your standards or huge by your wife's standards?

:smugmrgw:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

eh we decided i might just 'rate it, its gonna be used for a couple of hours a month tops. wgas

its for feeling like youre running office 1998

since excel is the main one of the bunch I'll bite the bullet. and none of this subscriptions poo poo either I dont want to uprgade i will be content using it for many decades to come

i wish I could just buy excel on its own. oh and powerpoint. keynote would own but there will be times when we have to run them from windows machines. unless someone can tell me there is a windows keynote player I could put on a usb stick and reliably run 100+% of the time

you can get excel standalone for mac but its like a hundred bucks. i think it costs double that in europe though

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stymie posted:

calling windows 10's interface "slightly shittier" is bordering on mendacious

echinopsis posted:

just save the keynote presentation as a powerpoint presentation.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that literally something that can be done suiccessfully?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet as gently caress only buying excel would suit me down to the mother fuckin' ground

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

echinopsis posted:

so so what is the best way of dealing with massive client lists in an excel ssreadhseet

Get this into a real client management system asap. Even if you have to do it by hand or pay an intern. The payoff of even the cheap cloud solutions will be worth it over excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

there is a website. I am making a new website but idk about transferring urls or domains or whatever. i dont even know the terminologies or what I need to know in order to do so

yeah, do a "domain name transfer". you sign on to the current user's domain registrar (or have them do it), then they unlock it and should give you a code. you initiate a transfer from your domain registrar and use this code, and there you go. I think. I use hover.com cause it has a simple UI and not a lot of up-selling, but it's like a few dollars more than GoDaddy or w/e.

echinopsis posted:

email on said url... rent a seervice like fastmail.com or my ISP and use the url to do sometrhingt with ut??? i need the 101

setting up your own email server is hell, don't do that. personally I use runbox (dm for a referral that gives me $10). when you set up your domain name you will come across DNS. this is where you point your domain to your website server. basically you sign up for runbox or whatever, then put mx.runbox.com in your DNS and you're good to go. then just set up in Mail.app or Outlook.

echinopsis posted:

I have the mac lappy but a particular piece of simulation software requires windows so how do I bootcamp? thats the thing right

get a widows ISO and a USB drive. run "Bootcamp Assistant". this will load Windows on to the USB and then when you restart, it just starts installing just like it was a PC. after you set up windows, there's a package on the USB to install Macbook-specific drivers and stuff. after, just remember to hold Alt when you hear the "ding" on boot to choose between Mac and Windows when you want to change OS.

• Locked thread