Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brainwrong posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06rf90c/pointless-celebrities-series-8-11-formula-one

A special F1 version of Pointless. I haven't watched it because I have no idea how that gameshow works. At all.

But if you're unemployed or a student, I'm sure you'll thank me.

Was going to watch this until I noticed two of the people involved were Suzi Perry and Christian loving Horner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

red bull will be using the exact same engine as renault but with a different name on it.

Meanwhile Toro Rosso will be cruising past both with this year's Ferrari which will still be quicker

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I am totally OK with Jordan DNA getting an Aston Martin badge

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Alonso should do a reverse Surtees and switch to MotoGP and beat all the Spanish betas

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm Stefan GP

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Viewing figures are falling after our stupid movie to pay tv! The sport in in chaos! I know, lets ditch the only remaining over-the-air broadcaster of the sport in the english-speaking world.

(Except for certain races on NBC :911: )

ITV is also "over-the-air", it just has adverts. One of the other potential places for the BBC's coverage to be sold is Channel 4, which is also over-the-air with adverts. ITV or Channel 4 would almost certainly get better figures than Sky, especially if they managed to work out a way to have the least intrusive advertising during the race (ideally no mid-race ads, but they could definitely get away with only a couple of breaks in 90 minutes because they already do it with football)

Best ITV ad moment was Monaco 2004 though: safety car comes out with Schumacher in the lead, ad break ends and it's just his ruined car in the barrier having binned it in the tunnel behind the safety car.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
We'll never have another interesting livery in the history of the sport.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Jarno Trulli hasn't aged in 15 years

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I hope Force India go back to a proper Indian flag livery instead of silver with tiny slivers of orange and green

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

Has Ron picked which shade of grey McLaren will use though? That's the real question

Presumably the shade of grey is picked by the title sponsor

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

so it'd look like one of those clear phones we all had in the 90s?

More like this clearly fictional F1 livery, because surely it could never have really existed

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is clearly more appealing to potential sponsors because no McLaRon has ever had a "cool spot" on it.

I would also accept "no McLaren has "speed" written all over it"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

djssniper posted:

Waiting for some smartarse designer to come up with a dazzle ship style livery design to gently caress up overtakes in corners

Red Bull literally did this in testing last year

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Pastor Maldonado will be remembered as a dangerously bad pay driver from a failed state who happened to inherit a race win because McLaren are bad and didn't measure quali fuel levels properly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
On an unrelated note: if any of you shits unironically root for Esteban Gutierrez just because he is driving for the American team you are worse than Hitler

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nobody in the entire world thinks GUT is a good driver.

Haas are paying him $2m

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

This is the same company that brought in Fast Heikki to fill up Alonso's seat.

This is the same company who employed Giancarlo Fisichella for years and years, far more damning

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

He did like 30% of the work in that race. It's a really generous number considering the car he was in. Maldonado did 100% of the work when he won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

You've got to give a decent chunk of the work for that win to McLaren, honestly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

It ended up as a toyota lotus hybrid thing.

/posted with adanoids

They tried to buy the TF110 when Toyota caved, but ended up getting the TF109 (2009) for some reason, presumably because it came with a free Nick Heidfeld, who immediately binned it. Lotus did the maintenance on it including adding stuff like KERS, DRS and so on in exchange for tires. Other teams got pissy because they thought Lotus/James Allison were getting access to data they were not, which given how well they did in 2012 may have been a fair point and the pirelli car got canned.

I can spot the TF09 with any livery, that nose/front wing was such a uniquely lovely looking design

not as bad as that one Renault though (don't hate me lurking nickthenorse)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The halo or something similar has been approved for 2017. I wonder if they'll allow teams to attempt to gain any sort of aero advantage from it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

is there a predictions spreadsheet yet?

How could there be when we're missing a crucial piece of information: the identities of Manor's drivers?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Payndz posted:

Dum, du du dum du du dum dum dum dummmmmm... Channel 4 just announced they're keeping The Chain as their F1 theme music. With James Allen reporting that they're also bringing over Ben Edwards and Lee, it's basically the BBC crew minus EJ.

Are they also minus Suzi "literally incapable of competently presenting TV even though it's her job" Perry?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Amused by getting a "donate to Bernie" banner at the bottom of this thread

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just think: this time next week we'll have some actual things to talk about

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Well given that a lot of fans have bitched constantly about the noise for two years and the new regulations are supposed to fix it, it's not a bad way to kick off your promotion for the year. Plus the McHonda engine had huge problems with misfires and cylinders being all out of whack last year which made them sound like a 20 year old minicab, if they have fixed that then there is hope.

They were still having battery problems this time last week according to *~my insider~* (pretty normal for pre-testing I would've though tbqh)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

battery problems sound pretty loving great considering what they were facing last year

Well those battery problems could be not getting enough charge into the battery because the MGU-H is still not working right, which would be exactly the same as last year

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well it's bound to be less exciting for him, he's not frauding his way to easy wins anymore

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Red Bull spent the last few years complaining the engine development restrictions were too strict (when Renault were soaking up the development costs) but now that they're doing their own development of the engine, suddenly Newey thinks that the proposed relaxation from 2017 is unfair.

Red Bull's ideal solution is "everyone else's development gets frozen but not ours"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ukle posted:

In other bad news Will Stevens has lost his seat. Instead looks like the last F1 seat is going to an Indonesian - Rio Haryanto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...-departure.html

I suspect they'll rotate their drivers

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd just like to point out that Red Bull literally have fewer sponsors than McLaren

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Simplifying the colour palette from the navy/purple/red/yellow/white/silver mess they had the last couple of seasons to mainly just navy/yellow/red was always going to improve things

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys, I've completely checked out this off season and have not followed a single thing. Literally have no read or seen a thing since the last race.

Can someone give me a brief rundown or point me to one of everything that's happened this off season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Formula_One_season for driver/team/regulation changes. Otherwise it's been pretty quiet, testing starts next week.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It does look like the blue on the Red Bull is actually fairly matte, and it wasn't just the dry ice making it look that way. Which is almost interesting, but isn't.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I've found Brainwrong's new av:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Hold up, is that a 2014 dick nose on that Red bull? http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/?attachment_id=312460 Yup. That's a a dick nose.

That's not the 2016 car, that was just a "livery launch". Compare and contrast with this photo of the RB11 from Abu Dhabi

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Ah. Shows you how much attention I've been paying to Red bull otherwise I would have mocked the dick nose properly at the time. drat thing looks like a 7 year old child has been given some paint and a book of stickers.

I'd say you've given Red Bull about as much attention as they merit

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Also why has it occurred to no one with Puma sponsoring half the grid to hit up Adidas and have them play up their traditional rivalry?

There's only one Slav on the grid and he's wearing Puma, the battle's already won.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Red Bull are a spent force and will never win another race

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol: that livery is completely horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007