Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I am now sort of interested in what Manor go with now Ferrari have pinched their livery

E: and the chassis naming ridiculousness continues

2006 248 F1
2007 F2007
2008 F2008
2009 F60
2010 F10
2011 150° Italia
2012 F2012
2013 F138
2014 F14 T
2015 SF15-T
2016 SF16-H

CHOOSE A SYSTEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Myspace angle.

regular angle

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Even the rear wheel says "NO" to that car

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

Also why are teams still showing the dick noses I thought we had finally gotten rid of those

Why would you think that? When forced to have the dick noses several teams realised they were quite useful for splitting airflow right and left, plus they are still required to have a crash structure in that area.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Italians don't do systems.

Or graphic design

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have brain damage and also like the 2008 and 2009 Renault liveries as well.

Agreed, you definitely have brain damage

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

the red bull is good

The Red Bull is good for a Red Bull, but is still not very good

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brainwrong posted:

Here's this year's Sauber overalls

Which team is that? I can't tell. It doesn't seem to say anywhere on those overalls.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brainwrong posted:

50? That's optimistic.

Depends how you slice the gradient on the McLarens

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Haas is good and cool

cite your evidence please

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Ferrari engine

Your evidence for them being "good and cool" is them submitting to being Ferrari's Toro Rosso?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Yes. Also it's an American F1 team that seems to have its poo poo togeather.

Am I not allowed to be excited for a new team?

I'll allow it, as long as you don't let your excitement persuade you that Esteban Gutierrez is anything other than a sub-Chilton quality pay driver

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Oh he's a poo poo driver.

KMAG is alright.

Magnussen is driving for Renault, the other Haas driver is Grosjean, who is pretty decent.

I'm sceptical about the idea of subcontracting the chassis to Dallara, whose last chassis was deemed not good enough for HRT in 2010, and I'm not really sure how well their UK operation will blend with the chassis and engine stuff being done in Italy. They really will have to have their poo poo together to do well this season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

dallara is only responsible for actual construction of the chassis, it's being designed by haas engineers in ferrari's wind tunnel. and it's really a joke to judge dallara based on HRT, a company who didn't pay them.

Build quality is one of the things HRT didn't find satisfactory, and not being paid isn't any excuse for that

be nice wicka posted:

though i do agree it's going to be practically impossible for haas to keep up over the course of the season given that aero developments are apparently going to have to be designed in maranello, built wherever the hell dallara is, shipped to kannapolis? banbury? does anyone know? then finally get to the track. honestly this is a terrible setup. i think it's great to rely on ferrari and dallara in the first and year and learn from them, they should be far ahead of other new teams, but they will sit in last place indefinitely unless they shoulder the entire burden of building the car.

Yeah I really think this is going to be their main problem, co-ordinating efforts between the US, UK, two different places in Italy and wherever the race is a logistical nightmare. How would they get away with doing aero design completely at Maranello without getting in trouble with the FIA? My understanding is that Banbury will be used as a base to build/rebuild cars between races when the cars aren't going straight to the next track. It seems like developing the car has too many unnecessary middle steps to be efficient.

I do agree that Haas will be far ahead of the 0 other new teams. I know you mean new entrants in general

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pablo Bluth posted:

He's finally no longer the grumpiest Schumacher brother.

Or the slowest

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not sure what you're expecting Haas to be future contenders for. If they're not willing to spend enough to build their own car they're never going to be more than midfield runners. Subcontracting out everything and running as effectively Ferrari's B-team is probably enough to get the rolling Haas billboard as much exposure as a Force India, but you're kidding yourselves if you think they'll ever compete for a race win without investing considerably more than they seem willing to at the moment.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm questioning the assumption that Haas ever intends his team to be contending for anything beyond the midfield

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

i'm fairly certain he has said something silly like wanting to win a race in five years

:lol: Well maybe if everyone chants U-S-A U-S-A enough they can do it?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm making the assumption he's not that naive, and he's satisfied with the prestige of owning an F1 team and the marketing/networking opportunities he'll get from it, while keeping the costs as low as he can. But I have a tendency to be very cynical, maybe he is just taking the opportunity to live out a dream.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

he's also claimed he can turn a profit from F1

OK he's a dangerous lunatic then, good to know

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

I predict Bernie is going to start complaining and saying that it's too hard for ordinary and new fans to tell the cars apart, and next year some sort of livery rules come in assigning one dominant colour to each team and stating that that your car must be x% that colour.

Just go back to national racing colours for each driver imho

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There is already a rule that prevents liveries from being too similar, but it's weak enough that Red Bull and Toro Rosso have been very similar for years

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The over-abundance of white and red is more of a problem than the many shades of silver/grey, but if you can't tell those liveries apart, congratulations on being a genetic defective

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
When's Haryanto driving?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

it is somewhat surprising to me that the haas has literally no sponsors other than grosjean and gutierrez's personal sponsors

Is Richard Mille one of Gutierrez's?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Chasing Mercedes' design is no way to beat them.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Vettel is the one desperately trying and failing to overtake a much slower car and causing a yellow flag with his steady flow of tears

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Why wouldn't they cut the first 2 and a half minutes of that video? Also the last 3 minutes

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Best looking cars this year so far for me is:

Williams
Renault
Haas
Mercedes

The 'other' big guns cars look like loving poo poo and I mean McLaren, Redbull and Ferrari.

Haas has been getting a lot of flack, but I do have to say, that car looks like a loving formula one racing car. It looks like its doing 200 mph standing still and that is how it should be.

The Haas looks like an unlicensed generic f1 car, and the guy making the mould slipped when sculpting the nose

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's more than just the livery. The relatively sharp transition from the body to the nose just feels a bit ugly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Oh yeah, just like the dicknoses. Still ugly.

Speaking of ugly I'm intrigued by the airbox camera mounts on the Mercedes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pablo Bluth posted:

So will Mercedes...
a) Sabotage Nico's car, because they've decided Lewis is their driver and they're not going to extend Nico's contract
b) Sabotage Lewis' car, because it's Nico's turn to win the title?

They won't sabotage the cars but they'll give Lewis the worst of the two strategies they've come up with. If Nico doesn't manage to do enough to beat Lewis this season they'll replace him with Wehrlein next season unless he is really awful at Manor.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Why does the benz have a million pitot tubes and nobody else has pitot tubes? Do germans just love measuring airflow/pressure?

Williams, Ferrari and McLaren all clearly have pitot tubes, what are you talking about?

E: Red Bull too

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Some of them have them but not as many and none of them put the tubes in the perfect place to catch shredded tire rubber and flap it in nico's face annoyingly

Mclaren's are interesting in that they're pointing down the nose slope, rather than parallel to the ground

For a very generous interpretation of the word interesting

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

telcel is on the wing mirrors and richard mille is a grosjean sponsor. saxo bank is on his helmet tho.

But why would Grosjean the clearly very French driver have a Swiss sponsor?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

George Zimmer posted:

Gross jeans was raised in Switzerland.

:thejoke:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
11 cars on track!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Usual bacon briefcase caveat, but Sauber running last year's car is a good benchmark for measuring Toro Rosso and Haas' performance.

Williams look to still be best of the rest after Mercedes and Ferrari, which is good going for them after they dropped off towards the end of last season. Force India are difficult to judge because they're using their young test driver, Renault look to be extremely garbage as expected and are weirdly using a different exhaust setup to Red Bull (one waste gate instead of two)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

darth cookie posted:

Yes but you'd expect increased reliability after 12 months and however many engines they grenaded. The critical test is if there is speed as well.

Well the guys trackside are saying they look good through the corners and the engine sounds a lot better. They'll be cranking the power up gradually though I would've thought. First day is really just shakedown for most teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Toro Rosso's packaging is even more ridiculous, but then they know exactly how much cooling last year's Ferrari needs

• Locked thread