Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

This sounds ridiculous, but go watch Lewis' snap chat story...he's utterly poo poo housed :guinness:

What happened to being a god-bothering teetotaler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122107

So, 3 compounds for next season, of which the team must choose 2. Sounds like a positive step forward (in theory), although I would prefer if they had all 3 available for the race.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

he quite clearly thinks they are favoring rosberg over him in every race that rosberg wins. he questions their strategy every step of the way. the lack of trust is glaring, but not moreso than his lack of accountability.

His completely lack of respect for the team and any agreements made within a team was already made clear in Hungary 2007.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Teams will get 13 sets of tyres for a race weekend.

Pirelli will bring three different types of tyre to each race.

Pirelli will pick two sets out of the three and one of them will be mandatory for the race, the other has to be set up and ready to go on the car.

Teams have to decide two weeks in advance of the race if want to use the third tyre type or stick with the ones Pirelli have picked.

Teams can use different tyres for each driver.

It's more complicated than that, as some of the sets will have to be handed back during various times of the Free Practices. I look forward to the commentators trying to explain this one..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Riso posted:

Todt is a Ferrari man through and through. Veto stays.

Pretty sure the veto is in Ferrari's Concorde agreement, so it wouldn't matter what Todt/Bernie does.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Aaand Sochi loses it's funding from the local government:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_F1_RUSSIAN_GP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-04-09-20-55

I assume Uncle Putin will declare it a Western conspiracy (and pony up with the necessary funds)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

:toot:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

the only thing sexier than the brawn was who was in it.......

The whining that season was glorious! Showed just how traumatized he was after the years at Ferrari.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would argue he was actually a good driver. If he had been in the Ferrari in 1999 we could have had WDC Rubens Barrichello but they decided to hire some Mick with cerebral palsy.

Like Webber and Massa, he was the perfect No2 driver.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dudley posted:

If ITV are willing to take on the "No ads during a live race" thing then go right ahead.

I still haven't forgiven them for the 2005 San Marino race...

And James Allen! Almost forgot about him.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 17, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Norns posted:

Context?

Schumacher is *hounding* Alonso in the closing laps. He's all over his gear box, diving left and right and every time Alonso defends it...and then with 3 laps to go (4?), they cut to a commercial break.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Are you sure you were watching it on ITV? I ask because I'm sad enough just to have checked me VHS tape and there are no breaks, could it have just been in your region? Also aww, Jenson on the podium for Honda. He looks so happy, Little did he know.

Yes. My region was London..it may be that they weren't able to transmit it live up Norf?
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/53020/1/itv-found-guilty-over-imola-gp.html

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

We would never hear "ferrari exercised their veto of the new f1 rules" again. At least remove their veto and most of the money f gives them. I'd rather have the TV money go to real racers like Caterham than a Energy drink company or a T shirt and hat company like ferrari.

Bored at work?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Channel 4 did wonders for WRC in the early 2000's.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, it's a shame, but if I understand it correctly, it was mostly down to them not being able to use their hybrid drive as intended due to the LMP1 regulations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, David Coultard already found a new job

http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/former-racing-driver-david-coulthard-joins-new-look-top-gear-1201667125/

This might actually be good.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

poty posted:

Thank God our Dave (Cameron) is taking action against the Berlin/Brussels* lobby leading the BBC. First they get rid of F1 so people don't hear about Lewis being the best driver of his generation. Clearly after all these years rooting for Rosberg and Vettel they reached a point where the only way to deny the truth was not to show it. And now they got rid of Clarkson because he praised the British car industry and wrote columns on The Sun saying that he loved Britain and replaced him with

The BBC has clearly gone rogue, it's time to stop taking that law about how it's independent so literally, take it back from the Germans and put the Queen in charge

(*) = as if those two aren't the same thing LOL

Ahem..the Queen is German too..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Also refueling was really poo poo, only reason people liked it was that there was a slight chance of fire or someone driving off with the hose still attached.

That is simply not true. Refueling allowed to cars to drive fast from the get go, rather than tip-toping around 10 seconds off the pace, as they're logging 100kgs worth of fuel and any attempt at going fast will destroy the tires.

Refueling made the cars go faster.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Riso posted:

Refuelling also made it more dangerous and except for a fire it adds nothing to the show.

It made the cars go faster and made for less 'protecting the tires whilst cruising around at 80%'.
Remember that the main reason refueling was dropped was because of cost: It cost FOM a fortune to transport the refueling rigs around the world.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

no in THEORY it should have made the cars go faster, they fuel saved anyway so it didn't. What made the cars fast was that back in the day they were basically metal skins with a meaty bit in the middle strapped to an A.C.M.E. rocket.

Utter nonsense. Refueling was banned in 2010, the first carbon fibre monocogue in F1 was in the McLaren MP4/1 in 1981.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair when has a customer team won the championship?

Brawn in 2009

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nobody seems to mention that the Brawn was a Honda.

Except the engine was from Mercedes and was virtually thrown in at the last moment.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

gret posted:

F1 might be dumb but at least we're not NASCAR:

LOL, at least they're being honest about it now rather than throwing 'competition yellows' for 'safety reasons'.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MustardFacial posted:

Problem solved.

Yes, the addition of explosives on a F1 car is a really good idea.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Hefe posted:

not any worse than a deathly electric field that runs through the cars bodywork that can kill anyone who touches the car anyways

Yes, worse. Relatively easy to isolate with rubber gloves/boots. With this you would need marshalls in full bomb-disposal suits.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Hefe posted:

not really

the explosives would only need to be strong enough to break the hinges or bolts or whatever is holding the canopy, rockets that send the canopy flying like in jets are not necessary.

And a flying bolt is safe how? Also, the crash structure would have to be strong enough that it can still be opened after a severe crash. I'm not sure how many G's a regular road car is exposed to in crash tests, but probably not as much as a F1 car and you still end up with doors that cannot be opened after a crash.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MustardFacial posted:

Goodnight sweet prince.

That gif explains more than anything why that moron shouldn't be in F1. Good riddance.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

That car was a pile.

So? "Oh I'm understeering badly in one of the longestcorners in F1, let me just wiggle the wheel a bit and keep the foot in it". That wasn't 'pushing limits', that was completely ignoring them. He wasn't even close to making that corner and had loads of time to get out of a bad situation, but didn't.
Again, he would never have been in F1, if it hadn't been for his oil money.

Montoya had talent, at least. He may not have had the emotional control necessary, but at least he could drive and for the most part, keep the car pointed the right direction. His biggest failing was suffering badly from victim mentality. Had he been able to control that, he would probably have won a WDC or two.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Just for your information there is this thing called snap oversteer that frequently happens when mid rear engined racing cars are built on a shoestring budget.

Any number of things could've caused that accident. Especially on the lotus cars where every loving thing was breaking repeatedly and parts were used well past their service life.
Don't be silly. He understeers all the way out on the green painted areas where the rear tires finally decides they'd had enough. Sure, it 'snaps', but that's because he pushed it out where there was no grip.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Brainwrong posted:

Is GPS that accurate that it can pinpoint exactly when a downshift needs to take place? If so, that's impressive.

RTK GPS systems can be centimeter accurate. I don't see the benefit of it, though, as downshifting should be related to available grip, which is not a constant.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

:/ I missed a post k. It's a bit video game fantasy land if you are talking about using military grade equipment which is why I assumed you were not, as you would have to factor in getting it though customs in Europe, America, China, Russia and middle eastern shitholes and that's even if it's legal in some of these countries in the first place.

RTK systems are not military grade, they're commonly used for surveying.
The point is still kinda moot with regards downshifting, as that will always be relative to the amount of grip available. It could however be used to set up the suspension, brake balance and differential values automatically.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Well given that a lot of fans have bitched constantly about the noise for two years and the new regulations are supposed to fix it, it's not a bad way to kick off your promotion for the year. Plus the McHonda engine had huge problems with misfires and cylinders being all out of whack last year which made them sound like a 20 year old minicab, if they have fixed that then there is hope.

And you can tell that it's fixed by that tiny audio clip?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Weren't rotary engines theoretically legal up until 90? It's kinda insane that nobody atleast tried to make one.

Only Mazda ever pushed it and they did make the 26B for the Mazda 767 (and won Le Mans).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsIUgmrZZs&t=79s

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I never understood why RX-7's never came with a ww2-aircraft style "Oil tank" that you could top off and use. Everyone i know who drives one runs pre-mix and it clearly helps. Like a weed-whacker.

Check oil regularly and top it up as needed. It's not all that difficult. Never knew anyone who used pre-mix, back in my RX-7 days..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That car actually looks good. Can't remember last time I said that about a F1 car.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Apparently McHondas engine is still an unreliable piece of poo poo thanks to the poo poo turbo...

Huh? But I thought the start-up sound clip proved they solved all their problems?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

djssniper posted:

Be interesting to see how they airfreight their stuff in a Volvo

With the help of one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec1Pr4yGLQM

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Click profile, click ignore, problem solved dude. /shrug

Wicka is not entirely wrong, you know...

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 22, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That was terrible...and I'm a Magnussen fan by default :denmark:

Livery is good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Honda at least had an excuse with it being the first year they ran under the new engine specs. Renault had no such excuse and really should have done much better.

• Locked thread