Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Diet Crack posted:

"He complains a lot" - Arrogant whiny baby

Hopefully we'll see a "Nico Rosberg says team-mate Lewis Hamilton is a sullen petulant twat when things don't go his way or when he thinks he could make a better decision than the strategists on the pit wall" headline before long.

quote:

The world champion said: "You've seen he complains about a lot of things. But you kind of let it go over your head because that's just the way he is.

"It's kind of the different background we come from, I guess."

Yes, you grew up in the Stevenage ghetto Lewis, thank you for reminding us again.

At this point I'm willing to concede that I should probably level my hate at the media here in the UK and that Lewis is probably really actually a nice guy but he's just painted in this way that gets my back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

funeral fag posted:

i can't make heads or tails of the new tire regulations. please explain to me like i'm massa

TYRE. GO ON CAR. MAKE CAR ROLL. MOVE FORWARD.

FIVE TYPES TYRE. THREE TYPE PIRELLI BRING TO TRACK. TEAM CAN PICK TWO TYPES.

How's that? I think that's how it's supposed to work anyway.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Here's an idea, how would people feel about say on a Sunday (possibly starting this Sunday, depending on my new laptop turning up) I post an old race from YouTube? it can't be a modern one because the FIA will have it removed in seconds and I can't guarantee walker for each one but PYF from the 70s onwards.

Sounds like a plan to me, some vague attempt to keep this thread on the straight and narrow can only be a good thing.

I almost, so very nearly almost got a tingle of excitement thinking that Australia is just over 3 months away... :sigh:

Just checked out the calendar for next year too, apparently I missed the memo about Azerbaijan hosting a race next year.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Enri... Enri my lad, you know better than this.

I know I know, but we've got to at least try :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That jet really isn't that mega. Bruce Dickinson has a way bigger jet and also makes better music.

and Bruce can fly it himself too, suck on that Lewis :colbert:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Halo14 posted:

I really hope they close the gap. I don't like sad Alonso & Jensen.

Yea, seeing both of them trying to put on a brave face every time they were interviewed was one of the worst parts of this season. Not the worst part, but one of them.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

As long as they take Lee with them, I'll be happy...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

ukle posted:

...so its not looking good for Pastor

Shame.

So, is it March yet?

I've only just bothered to look at the calendar, didn't realise Malaysia had been moved to the latter half of the season. Makes sense given how much poo poo they get every year for moving the race into the rainy period of the day. During monsoon season.

Looks to be a healthy spread with 4 races within 5 weeks over July and October (Austria / Britain / Hungary / Germany and Malaysia / Japan / USA / Mexico respectively)

Biggest gap between races, barring the summer break (at 4 weeks) is 2 weeks. So barring no races get dropped, there'll never be more than 2 weeks between one race and the next. Again, barring the usual summer break.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

This is one of those hobbies, I guarantee it. Prediction: People who want to get you into it will tell you that you just need the kit, a basic cutting mat, this cheap set of tools, this basic brush set and these few low end paints. You will struggle with your kit and think it's you that is poo poo, then you will ask the internet who will say "stupid newbie" and laugh at you before telling you that it isn't you it's the tools and that you need to go out and buy all these really expensive things along with stuff like a top of the range magnifying glass, primer and top coat that you never knew you needed. You buy it because you know you are not stupid and you will not be beaten by what is essentially a toy. Next kit will go much better and you have all this expensive stuff now which cost 10x more than the kit so you may as well go for the limited edition and rare one next time.

Source: I do quilting.

This is practically every hobby ever :( the get in is always cheap, it's if you want to stay in and keep going that it starts getting expensive.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Stop bickering about the world's greatest WDC you lot, channel 4 just released their list of live races:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/01/channel-4-chooses-live-2016-formula-1-races-silverstone-tops-the-bill/

quote:

Bahrain – 1-3 April (4.00pm)
Spain – 13-15 May (1.00pm)
Europe (Azerbaijan) – 17-19 June (Start time TBC)
Britain – 8-10 July (1.00pm)
Hungary – 22-24 July (1.00pm)
Belgium – 26-28 August (1.00pm)
Italy – 2-4 September (1.00pm)
Malaysia – 30 September-2 October (8.00am)
Mexico – 28-30 October (7.00pm)
Abu Dhabi – 25-27 November (1.00pm)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Let's get this out of the way now, for us euro twats unfamiliar with them, how do you pronounce haas? does it rhyme with arse, this is all I really need to know

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Where does wicka rank on the autism spectrum learnincurve?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

please stop talking about actually car stuff itt, none of us know things about cars

This!

"what kind of things are you into?"
"I like formula 1!"
"oh you must like cars"
"no you misheard me, I like formula 1"
"let me tell you about my bangin' vauxhall nova that I've pimped out"

enri
Dec 16, 2003

In the off season I am a giant nerd. I like wargaming, DIY, tinkering with poo poo in my shed, cycling, long walks and most of all, ridiculous amounts of running.

But in reality, I have two kids, so the chances of ever getting to do anything I want to do are slim.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Eddie Jordan confirmed for Top Gear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

...hopefully this means he'll be too busy to turn up for the F1. Also, now near guaranteed I will not bother watching the new Top Gear, freeing up more time to do fun stuff like poking forks into my eyeballs.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Helicon One posted:

Will Might still be rubbish though.

There you go

ukle posted:

What you want is kind of a Celebrity Scrap Heap Challenge, which I am surprised Channel 4 hasn't done by now given they have done celebrity everything else.

Too much like real work for the z-list celebrity scum at the bottom of the barrel, not many opportunities for drama and/or swooning over themselves and/or acting like a complete twat (at least without getting shouted at by their helper expert type)

El Hefe posted:

Marca had a story about Ferrari making huge progress on their engine and how they are on par with Mercedes now

I pray to god it's true

loving oath. Some kind of challenge to Mercedes from anyone would be good.

Ok, is it time for BOLD PREDICTIONS yet? I'm getting tetchy

enri
Dec 16, 2003

That RB livery is vile. Looks like the driver has vomited out of their helmet down a long straight at great speed.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Now that is how you gently caress up a livery.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Norns posted:

I really dig the coke bottle shape the cars are gravitating to.

Yea, I love those curves too

The Ferrari doesn't look too bad from some other angles, I dig the black with the red though, just wish there was less of that white

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Testing starts Monday doesn't it? DOESN'T IT?! God I can't wait for some real actual news. loving roll on Melbourne.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just remembered that I had a dream last night that Lewis had died, all I could think was "greeeaaat won't hear the end of him now"

...am I a bad person worst thread? :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kimi has had his day.

I say that as a staunch fan of Kimi.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Jesus this is much better than the BBC feed, which is where I usually end up because I'm too lazy to work out where else to go.

Button / Mclaren in 'completed 34 laps and the engine hasn't blown up yet' shocker

edit: for contrast, the BBC feed was full of comparisons of old cars after they asked to hear peoples thoughts on the best looking cars.. rather than, you know, anything of any real substance.

enri fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 22, 2016

enri
Dec 16, 2003

ukle posted:

Bit odd Wehrlein is driving again today, guess Haryanto's cash doesn't get him a lot.

They might just be doing 2 / 2 rather than 1 / 1 / 1 / 1 like every other team

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Haas have performed respectably so far IMO

Yea they do seem to have their ducks in a row, I'm genuinely interested in watching their progress through the year.

1500quidporsche posted:

Just saw that as well.

They really are making sure that car is completely bulletproof

I'm too lazy to google for it, how many did Jenson do yesterday? Still, it's a hundred miles ahead of where they were this time last year. Thank gently caress. I don't think I could cope with another dejected, trying to keep a smile on their face Alonso / Button early retirement interview.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Testing laptimes are about as useful as a bacon briefcase, it was an offhand comment someone made 7 or 8 seasons ago that caught on, we even got it read out by a confused David Croft during a practice session and on radio Le Mans I think (?) possibly other times. Basically a worst thread own brand meme.

Using my detective skills and amazing memory, I'm going to say it was for testing during 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I absolutely, 100% guarantee that Brundle will do a piece about halos for Sky this year and they will use Beyonce's "Halo" as backing music.

All the more reason to watch the F1 coverage on channel 4 instead. Even if it is just highlights later on :/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I thought it was a well known fact that the Honda last year was a piece of poo poo because Mclaren forget to tell anyone at Honda that it needed to be several sizes smaller than they'd made it, so they had to compromise on cooling etc.?

or did I just imagine that?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

He looks like he's straining for a really big poo poo and about to give himself an aneurysm

enri
Dec 16, 2003

djssniper posted:

stay in the car... 2017 WDC and I'm sticking a bet on it

It'll be a cruel world where Alonso doesn't get his 3rd WDC, I'll take that bet. I need to believe :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Croc posted:

Problem is he'll be too slow to take out anyone else.

That's ok, it just means the crashes will take place later in the race when he trips up the front runners whilst he trundles around as a back marker

enri
Dec 16, 2003

At least Joe's Award gets to be at the races, unlike you filthy plebeians doing your best attempt at armchair commentary :rolleyes:

edit: I feel dirty for even pretending to defend that chump

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Mark Webber for life. gently caress the haters.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Dubs posted:

Hondas near a checker flag?

yes

You just reminded me of that time Jenson's BAR blew up on the final straight.. what year was that? 2006? or was it one of the two dreaded earth cars in 07/08?

Edit: wait, when did Honda come back in? Because I'm now fairly certain it was a Honda and not BAR in 06. Phone posting else I'd go check my facts :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Honda bought half of BAR at the end of 2004 and the other half at the end of 2005, they'd been providing engines since 2000

Perfect, thanks for having a better memory for all this poo poo than me :v:

So regardless of whether it was a BAR or Honda car, the bit in the back that went kaboom had 'Honda' stamped on it :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

ukle posted:

:siren: THE MERCEDES HAS BROKEN DOWN! :siren:

They aren't infallible

Their one obligatory mechanical failure of the year, I'd rather it happened in race conditions though.

Not long until Melbourne and we can finally abandon this lovely thread and start a whole new lovely one :dance:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

"Hey I wonder what happened to HRT.... Oh My God....."

http://bossgp.com/about/

that website posted:

Gentleman’s, start your engines..!

GENTLEMAN'S!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

keevo posted:

Raikkonen tested out that Halo protection thing today. How the gently caress does the driver see anything with that pillar in front of them?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-tests-f1-halo-cockpit-system-677012/

I think that picture is a bit misleading in that regard because this is the view from it according to scarbs:

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/705336074898374656

looks ok to me

edit: since when the gently caress could we embed twitter posts? god that's handy

edit edit: oooh look at me with my fancy schmancy twitter feed embeds

https://twitter.com/theWPTformula/status/697095881124876288

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Norns posted:

Is kimi more qualified because he's more likely to crash?

Vettel is a director of the GPDA, Raikonnen isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Riso posted:

Kimi is not even a member.

There we go, even better reason :)

• Locked thread