Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005

harperdc posted:

WEC is the best series in the world, but the most entertainment can be found in the drama surrounding Formula 1.

I think you are getting WEC confused with Formula E aka the best racing series ever invented, and somehow missing from the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

They may be waiting to see how the rookies coming in this year do - don't they have one of their young stars in a manor in 2016?

Pascal Wehrlein, but turns out the deal between Manor and Merc didn't explicitly give him a seat. Rumor is its one of the reasons for the fall out at Manor in that they were going to get free engines just for 1 drivers seat.The other Manor seat is probably going to Jordan King - the son of the part owner of the team, he could be good enough for F1 as he has results better than most F1 pay drivers have had, but if hes racing against Pascal hes likely to be trounced.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Dropping Hamilton is a horrible idea.

Especially given Hamiltons contract runs till 2020, while Rosbergs reportedly ends next year. Wonder which driver they would get rid of?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Finally the Aston Martin talk makes sense. Was wondering why the gently caress they would want to associate themselves with Vijay.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Bernie has let rip into Merc and Ferrari -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35059767

Ferrari have already issued legal proceedings to try and stop him doing any changes, which indicates if he actually did try anything at all they would take the matter to court. But he thinks that "I think if we went to arbitration, we'd win easy", so looks like F1 legal wars are coming this winter.

Also he says F1 is partially poo poo thanks to Nico being poo poo and if Merc had 2 drivers of equal ability it "would probably be a lot better".

Really does indicate a very feisty few months. Question is how many times are Ferrari going to throw their dummy out the pram this time.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

RIP Trulli Formula-E.

Unsurprising given how much a shitshow they have been this year - car didn't work at all bar 2? laps in testing, then customs issues and then the cars failed scrutineering in the next race. A team truly worth the poo poo name that is Trulli.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
BBC F1 has ended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35149963

Channel 4 has taken up the BBC's contract, starting next year. Channel 4 can be Very good with Sports stuff, but motor racing is a complete new one for them.

edit:

Channel 4's press release -

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-becomes-terrestrial-home-of-formula-1?hootPostID=dde274dfb372ab4d0ede906f68a35e34

Key point is there will be no Ad Breaks in the races.

ukle fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 21, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brainwrong posted:

It's a shame that C4's on-demand service is the worst on-demand service in the world.

This was the only issue that I have had with the move in hide sight, as I have even used Channel 5's catch-up service once but Channel 4's one is a big steaming pile of poo poo whose only competitor in terms of pile of poo poo is the Sky Go service - which thankfully is in the process of being fixed.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

The Rover 25 was the Johnny Herbert of cars.

Then whats the MG Maestro Turbo aka the best car they ever produced? (was ugly as gently caress but was blisteringly fast for the time)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Unsurprising news given he is one of the owners of the production company that will be doing it for C4. The others that own it are Channel 4 and Jake Humphrey - no word yet whether Jake is going to be involved at all in front of the camera given his contract with BT.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
BBC also reporting the Pastor story, but with the information that Renault haven't received payment from PDVSA, which gives them a great get out clause and can get rid of the driver they don't want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35299887

quote:

A Renault spokesman said: "It's speculation at the moment. We have a contract with Pastor. That is the current situation.

"Who knows what could happen by Australia but, at the moment, we are going forward with Pastor and Jolyon."

That is about as close as you will ever find a spokesman saying someone is poo poo canned before its official, so its not looking good for Pastor. F1 will be a lot more boring next year.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Has Ron picked which shade of grey McLaren will use though? That's the real question

That is already known, its light grey. As Jenson has appeared in an Ad wearing the 2016 race suit.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Riso posted:

Nando does the Senna thing where he retreats for a month or two to mediate/train/gain mental strength or w/e you want to call it.

All drivers do it, its there peak time from about Christmas to the first race is all prep time for the new season. They only get a short window to have fun - i.e. last race to the new year, unless of course you rap up the WDC many races early then you can party earlier.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kmag may be decent but I have doubts as to whether Palmer is any good. Certainly not better than Maldonado.

Palmer was beating Pastor on the practice days last season so he is already proven faster than Pastor, bet he wont be as fun to watch though.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

td4guy posted:

I'm literally falling asleep.

It looks leagues better than any of the liveries last year. If you don't like it you have very bad taste i.e. your a Tiffoso.

Bet it ends up being like the amazing Red Bull livery they had for testing, then they didn't use it and instead went with the same boring poo poo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Everyone's favourite Formula-e is on right now.

Good reminder. Had a bad day so completely forgot about it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Sam Bird is a classic example of one of the things wrong with Formula 1 now. One of the best single seater drivers around, yet has never had a crack at Formula 1 as his dad isn't a multimillionaire, isn't from a country needing PR, or German. He is leagues better than the rest of the Formula E field, and likely better than the majority of the Formula 1 field.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Or a homosexual black guy

Nah the best always manage to get in Formula 1, just it really is difficult / impossible for the almost greats to get into Formula 1 now.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

He's toto's baby Seb/baby Lewis. If he does not completely gently caress it up he will end up replacing Nico or Lewis when a seat comes free.

Yeah, the original deal between Mercedes and Manor was Manor gets free engines if they give a seat to their pet driver Pascal. Looks like that deal is on. It was the way that deal was handled that caused the fall out at Manor.

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 10, 2016

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

e: Seriously who the gently caress is Rory Reid?

Hes a guy they found via those audition tapes. Has done a few general journalism things for internet media companies. This is his audition tape

https://vimeo.com/123570273

Looks a good line-up, apart from Eddie.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Here's what you need for a new top gear.

Jettison everyone but Joey and Sabine. And then have the guy that presents the In Our Time radio program as the third presenter. Make every episode a cheap car challenge.

What you want is kind of a Celebrity Scrap Heap Challenge, which I am surprised Channel 4 hasn't done by now given they have done celebrity everything else.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Norns posted:

I'd bet that Renault gets some good results in 2017.

Sadly, I bet Redbull beats them pretty handedly this coming season.

Everyone will probably beat them this season, even Haas. The team were in limbo for almost the whole year with the old owners not providing any resources hence why they had the whole cars getting impounded saga almost every race, and there is only so much car designers can do on CFD/Computers.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
In other bad news Will Stevens has lost his seat. Instead looks like the last F1 seat is going to an Indonesian - Rio Haryanto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...-departure.html

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

I suspect they'll rotate their drivers

That was the rumour going around, but the Telegraph journalist seems sure they have decided to just go with 1 driver for the other seat and not do a Rossi / Haryanto time share deal.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown or point me to one of everything that's happened this off season.

Relatively gently caress all. Except engines now sound more louder.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Honestly thought you lot must be overreacting as how bad could a Ferrari F1 car look, they all look roughly the same. Then I saw the car.

Jesus Christ, I would never have guess you could make a car that ugly with just red, white and black. Only thing I can think of is they have done it to get publicity and it won't be the real livery - then again this is Ferrari.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

regular angle

That angle was giving me Team America F1 vibs earlier and it still is. Its just so square and ugly lucking.

Hope to god the usual rule works i.e. ugly car = poo poo performance.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Norns posted:

The MP4 30 was a beautiful car imo. Shame its engine was a huge pile of poo poo.

Fixed that for you. The issue always seemed to be the engine, it was 10% down in power compared to the rest of the field yet the McLaren often got into the points, that was only possible due to an amazing car (along with 2 amazing drivers).

Problem for McLaren is their cars alternate each year between good car / poo poo car, so this year is bound to be a poo poo car.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I predict Bernie is going to start complaining and saying that it's too hard for ordinary and new fans to tell the cars apart, and next year some sort of livery rules come in assigning one dominant colour to each team and stating that that your car must be x% that colour.

I hate limiting teams, but he really needs to as its turning into a slight farce. At least ban Black and Grey's FFS - although then Ron will probably have a melt down.

Testing starts at 8am GMT tomorrow I believe, so guess we find out if Honda have fixed the engine by 10am, and have a good idea whose really poo poo by the end of the day - hopefully Redbull.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

be nice wicka posted:

if you can't tell these two cars apart, seek help

Choose more suitable ones, as the only time they will ever be near each other is when the Merc's are lapping the Aas's a few times each race.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

glyph posted:

I'm bad at timezones.

How soon till bacon briefcases?

1 hour from now testing starts.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Force India's 2016 car which looks at first glance exactly like their 2015 car

https://twitter.com/JamesGallowayF1/status/701670971632181248/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/701671782923825153

ukle fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 22, 2016

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

(Edit Might be in testing livery but) the evil manor is the one I'm waiting to see.

Here is a taster -

https://twitter.com/ManorRacing/status/701672135245299712

Already seen the front wing and it looks just on that the best livery.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Testing is underway, and McLaren have already done 1 lap and the engine hasn't blown up!

https://twitter.com/RachelBrookesTV/status/701681165514764289

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure why Sky think we want to keep seeing pictures of last year's mercs.

Use Autosports feed instead, Sky's one is a bit poo poo.

http://beta.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/1866526/formula-1-testing-2016-barcelona-test-day-1

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Slightly shocking how many laps the Merc has done so far. While everyone else is doing component testing, they are starting to run small stint tests.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Its not just the colours, the lines of the car are nice as well, very smooth. Really a nice looking car all round.

Guess they are holding out for big bucks on sponsors which is probably a good move, IF the car is as good as it looks.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Bacon Briefcase etc.

But Vettel has already set a 1:26.187 lap time on Mediums. Nico's Pole time last year was 1:24.681, while Vettel set 1:25.458.

The fact that the Ferrari is already setting close to the same pace as last year already, yet on worse tires shows its probably going to be very fast.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Bit odd Wehrlein is driving again today, guess Haryanto's cash doesn't get him a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

enri posted:

They might just be doing 2 / 2 rather than 1 / 1 / 1 / 1 like every other team

Yeah there arre a few teams who have changed tactic and have the same driver as yesterday, suppose makes sense for these first couple of days as its all setup & component testing, not optimization.

Also Alonso is dead. 16 laps fastest time is 1 min 40~ on softs.

• Locked thread