Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

net cafe scandal posted:

I guess the old NES ones or whatever would be good on a phone.. I dont really know anything about this series. But I think every singel mainline Dragon Quest except the MMO is on the app store for some reason.
Because they freaking own. That's why. Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Im not complaining.. unless the ports are rear end, which is why Id like someone to buy all 8 of them and tell me if they play well.. so please do it.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
That is a shame about it looking like poop.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dragon quest is on android as well. wtf?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

trying to jack off posted:

dragon quest is on android as well. wtf?

Might have to give it a shot

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

There has to be a catch.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

There has to be a catch.

We'll see... who dares, wins

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I played Monument Valley yesterday and liked it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

There has to be a catch.

theyre good versions but playing them with a touch screen is the catch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

There has to be a catch.

DQIV iOS is actually considered the definitive version because it's not missing half the script like the DS version. But yeah the only downside is playing all the games on a phone

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

DQIV iOS is actually considered the definitive version because it's not missing half the script like the DS version. But yeah the only downside is playing all the games on a phone

Whaaaaa? You mean it has party chat like V?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I guess the old NES ones or whatever would be good on a phone.. I dont really know anything about this series. But I think every singel mainline Dragon Quest except the MMO is on the app store for some reason.

If 8 or whatever the one people love is one there I just fixed my iPad's screen so I may have to Jump in, as they say.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

If 8 or whatever the one people love is one there I just fixed my iPad's screen so I may have to Jump in, as they say.
It is but it doesn't have voice acting because it's ported from the Japanese version and they added voices for the NA version

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

It is but it doesn't have voice acting because it's ported from the Japanese version and they added voices for the NA version

Crap...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

WEll a lot of people love Dragon Quest 4 too, and In Training just said its the definitive version which is kind of crazy.. so if you dont jump in, I will.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Thats pretty crazy though. Im trying to find the definitive version for all these games but Dragon Quest doesnt have a Games megathread or a decent subreddit.. or you know, anything like that.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hell, let us know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

Whaaaaa? You mean it has party chat like V?

Yeah. I mean I can't stand touch controls for any game, but DQ are slow enough paced that it's probably the easiest to get used to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Thats pretty crazy though. Im trying to find the definitive version for all these games but Dragon Quest doesnt have a Games megathread or a decent subreddit.. or you know, anything like that.

For my money, 4,5,6 DS and the upcoming 3DS version of 7 and 8 will be the ones to play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

It does have a games thread actually I remember seeing it around the time DQH came out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

For my money, 4,5,6 DS and the upcoming 3DS version of 7 and 8 will be the ones to play.
This however is probably the best answer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Gigante posted:

It does have a games thread actually I remember seeing it around the time DQH came out
Here it is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389824&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my god Goldust in blackface.

Edit: wrong thread.

In Training fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 13, 2015

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Just picked up DQV on Google Play, might get the chance to play a bit tonight. I remembered it being pretty fun when it came out on PS2 but I never finished it, plus it had the highest reviews on the app store

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Lol.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So apparently the first 3 mobile dragon quests are kind of pixely with phone UI aids but 4-6 look incredible, and Ill buy them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Hell, let us know.

Did some research..

1: NES for nestaglia, GBC or fan translated SNES for best playing version, iOS for something you dont need an old rear end system to play
2: GBC / fan translated SNES / iOS for the above reasons
3: GBC / fan translated SNES / iOS for the above reasons, GBC has extra content but other versions look and sound better, iOS ports start looking better from here on out
4,5,6: DS or iOS
7: PS1 or wait for 3DS
8: PS2 or wait for 3DS

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 14, 2015

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

So apparently the first 3 mobile dragon quests are kind of pixely with phone UI aids but 4-6 look incredible, and Ill buy them.

Yeah that's why I picked up 5, the first 3 had quite a few reviews complaining about broken stuff like menu buttons

It's pretty slick btw, the controls are smooth and the game looks good. Only been playing about an hour though

also

Jerkops posted:

I remembered it being pretty fun when it came out on PS2 but I never finished it

I was wrong about this, I've never played DQV. Must have been something else

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Did some research..

1: NES for nestaglia, GBC or fan translated SNES for best playing version, iOS for something you dont need an old rear end system to play
2: GBC / fan translated SNES / iOS for the above reasons
3: GBC / fan translated SNES / iOS for the above reasons, GBC has extra content but other versions look and sound better, iOS ports start looking better from here on out
4,5,6: DS or iOS
7: PS1 or wait for 3DS
8: PS2 or wait for 3DS

Thank you.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh, and there probally all on Android too. Peace.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh, and there probally all on Android too. Peace.

Bye.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

oh drat i just started emulating this on ds, it's not some rpgmaker crap like the ff ports right>?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

oh drat i just started emulating this on ds, it's not some rpgmaker crap like the ff ports right>?

Its a straight port from the DS vers.. the sprites seem a little different from screenshots.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

hmm, i might just grab it then because i was considering just getting it on 3ds

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

SM64Guy posted:

Sprites with rotatable 3D environments

The dpad is okay for a touchscreen, definitely not the worst I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

SM64Guy posted:

hmm, i might just grab it then because i was considering just getting it on 3ds

I'd probably just get it on 3DS

• Locked thread