Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

quote:

Scarf wrote on Dec 1, 2015 21:50:

Also I really loving hate how they refer to themselves as Deltas constantly. "Let's go Deltas. Form up on me Deltas. Take em down Deltas." Like a loving sorority.

The Latest Video:

Episode 16: Kashyyyk Pt. 8

The Game

Are you goddamn excited for Star Wars: The Force Awakens? I sure as gently caress am despite George Lucas loving laying a giant turd on the entire franchise from approximately 1998 to 2004, but he's gone now and can't suggest a Sith Lord named Dark Icky to a game developer. The excitement I have for the next Star Wars movie led to me buying the Star Wars Humble Bundle and then out of nostalgia loading up Republic Commando, a game I had played years ago on my Xbox.

Republic Commando came out in 2005 to take advantage of the at-the-time upcoming conclusion of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Revenge of the Sith. Who knew that this game was going to be better than any of those prequel movies? Huh, what, everyone who saw the first two? While far from the first FPS in the Star Wars game library, Republic Commando is easily the first squad based tactical action shooter in Star Wars history, and so far the only one. Republic Commando has a pretty unique premise, putting you in control of a Clone Trooper with special training and weapons and giving you the command of your AI pals, Delta Squad. Despite the importance of the squad system in the game the majority of reviews compared the game to the Metroid Prime series due to the focus on "atmosphere" which is a bullshit marketing term that means you never leave first person and if something dies really close to you you get blood on your visor. It doesn't detract from how good the game is or the attention to detail the designers put in to it.

I would point to Halo and Rainbow Six as better inspirations for Republic Commando. Yes, Halo is a lazy comparison these days as well, but the health system is straight from that game and the characters all seem like they are more Spartans in Star Wars than Clone Troopers (justified by these being elite soldiers, I guess). At times it feels like what would happen if Bungie wanted to make a Halo squad based tactical shooter.

The Mods

It should be no secret that this game didn't age particularly well. If you boot it up on a modern computer with a 16:9 screen you'll see black bars on either side and a compressed image. Go into the options and...there's no 16:9 resolution options. There are a couple ways to fix this:

I mention in one of the videos that I'm using a variety of fixes including editing the .ini files to the game, changing a file through a hex editor for FOV reasons and downloading a HUD fix along with a mod that restores Bump Mapping. DON'T BE STUPID LIKE ME! There's a perfectly fine mod out there that does everything for you: that you can get right here. I don't know why I followed a bunch of three year old Steam Forums advice but I did and I'm dumb. There's also a fix that will adjust your HUD object size right here if you decide you want to edit the .ini file anyways. If you download the first mod I linked you can actually go into the options menu without having a bunch of stuff revert, which will happen if you just make the .ini edits. If you decide to play along on an Xbox or Xbox 360 you can just ignore all this.

The LP

I'm shooting for three videos a week with the majority being live commentary, but I plan on bringing in a number of guests through the course of the LP so we can talk about Star Wars and possibly this game.

The Videos

Episode 1: Geonosis Pt. 1

Episode 2: Geonosis Pt. 2

Episode 3: Geonosis Pt. 3

Episode 4: Geonosis Pt. 4

Episode 5: The Prosecutor Pt. 1

Episode 6: The Prosecutor Pt. 2

Episode 7: The Prosecutor Pt. 3

Episode 8: The Prosecutor Pt. 4

Episode 9: Kashyyyk Pt. 1

Episode 10: Kashyyyk Pt. 2

Episode 11: Kashyyyk Pt. 3

Episode 12: Kashyyyk Pt. 4

Episode 13: Kashyyyk Pt. 5

Episode 14: Kashyyyk Pt. 6

Episode 15: Kashyyyk Pt. 7

Episode 16: Kashyyyk Pt. 8

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Reserved.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Episode One: Geonosis Pt. 1

Republic Commando was supposed to bridge the gap between Episode 2 and Episode 3, but it turns out what that means is that it starts at the end of Episode 2 and then finishes at one of the battles from Episode 3. There is literally no story points that tie into the movies as far as I can tell and that just makes it all the better because we don't have to live in a world where the Prequel story matters beyond Proto-Stormtroopers with special genetics.

I actually really like the opening sequence of the game, as much poo poo as I give the "Atmosphere" marketing bullshit, it's kind of neat to see from the first person. The first level, though, gets old fast, especially if you've played the game before. There's not much of a challenge to the game for about the first 20 minutes, before that the game is really easing you into squad commands and shooting things and picking up ammo like most games do. The game does not stay as easy as it looks to be at this point, multiple deaths in a single room await.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I find that Republic Commando is one of the best thing to have ever come out of the Star Wars prequels.

Lazyfire posted:

I actually really like the opening sequence of the game, as much poo poo as I give the "Atmosphere" marketing bullshit, it's kind of neat to see from the first person. The first level, though, gets old fast, especially if you've played the game before. There's not much of a challenge to the game for about the first 20 minutes, before that the game is really easing you into squad commands and shooting things and picking up ammo like most games do. The game does not stay as easy as it looks to be at this point, multiple deaths in a single room await.
The opening sequence also does it right by going by pretty quickly: it's less than 3 minutes to set up who you play as and then it's another minute or so for the briefing after which you are put in control.
Way too many games take a lot longer before allowing the player to actually play the game. :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

radintorov posted:

The opening sequence also does it right by going by pretty quickly: it's less than 3 minutes to set up who you play as and then it's another minute or so for the briefing after which you are put in control.
Way too many games take a lot longer before allowing the player to actually play the game. :v:

Like the game that inspired this thread's title.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress is my sequel to this good game

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HenryEx posted:

Where the gently caress is my sequel to this good game

Back in 2011 or so the director of this game came back to LucasArts and the hype for a new game was building. Then LucasArts was closed. If you are lucky EA will let you pay $60 for Medal Of Honor with a Star Wars twist.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Like the game that inspired this thread's title.
Oh yeah, MGSV's intro takes forever, and that's before you can actually start slowly crawling along the ground.

As for the video, I've always assumed that the comment in the second level was that the regular troopers cannot be revived with your revive gizmo instead of being unable to access the normal bacta dispensers. But I'm not sure if that really is the case or it's just a continuity error like you mentioned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
When does Dash Rendar show up?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is up there among the best Star Wars computer games, period. Which is amazing considering it's a prequel-based game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I remember this game, game owned.

Game was also buggy as hell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

drat LazyFire you are an LP machine. I worry for your health/sanity at this rate. Also this game was excellent and revealed that cool things can happen in star wars that don't have to be quasi-magical bullshit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's another one of those games that have no right to be good (why hello there yet another cheap movie cash-in with like three weapons) but really turned out amazingly well.

I'm still weirded out by the clones having different voices, though. Doesn't detract from Scorch being the best.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It's another one of those games that have no right to be good (why hello there yet another cheap movie cash-in with like three weapons and four kinds of enemies) but really turned out amazingly well.

I'm still weirded out by the clones having different voices, though. Doesn't detract from Scorch being the best.

Better than being wondering who the hell is actually talking at the moment because you can't tell any one apart at least. And really, its only the character of the commandos (and that squad command thing to lesser extent) that saves this game from being a run-of-the-mill shooter so having different voices on the clones is purely a benefit.

Touraxus
Sep 4, 2011

Lord of the dance, and bananas.
After the Wolfentstein campaigns, I can't wait for this!
Glad to see it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lazyfire posted:

Back in 2011 or so the director of this game came back to LucasArts and the hype for a new game was building. Then LucasArts was closed. If you are lucky EA will let you pay $60 for Medal Of Honor with a Star Wars twist.

It still wouldn't be anywhere near as half as good as this game. This is a good game that does something a lot of games struggle with: give everyone a personality not only to make them easily identifiable but likable. Which is saying something considering that they're literal clones of each other.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I can't recall - in the star wars cartoon done by the same guy that did Samurai Jack, did the clone troopers have different voices?

My only real knowledge of this game came from a demo, i think. Mildly interested to see where this goes.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Ah, this game. I think this is one of my favorite prequel-based games (Starfighter was the other, it was basically Ace Combat in Star Wars years before I knew I'd loving love Ace Combat). It was certainly among the first I picked up way back in 2008 or so when Steam first got all the Star Wars games.

If I'm not too busy commentating on Ace Combat with crow, I'd love to come along for this and :spergin: out over various things I know about the series.

citybeatnik posted:

I can't recall - in the star wars cartoon done by the same guy that did Samurai Jack, did the clone troopers have different voices?

I vaguely remember them having the same voice. Same for the later CGI one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kadorhal posted:

I vaguely remember them having the same voice. Same for the later CGI one.

It is the same voice actor for the CGI Clone Wars cartoon but the voice actor still managed to give or was directed to give enough personality and voice quirks to the clones that got screen time and lines more than "AUGH!" to differentiate them when their helmets were on. There are a few episodes that basically are all about the clones so, like RepCom here, it's pretty important to make them sound as distinctive as possible.

The Commandos here actually showed up once in a cameo in the CGI cartoon as well. Didn't have the different voices though, and I think only Boss spoke regardless.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

It's another one of those games that have no right to be good (why hello there yet another cheap movie cash-in with like three weapons) but really turned out amazingly well.

IIRC the in-universe explanation is that all the elite troopers such as our squad got personal training (compared to bog standard troopers) from different experts in their field, which also meant that the clones picked up their mannerism and speech patterns.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sylphosaurus posted:

IIRC the in-universe explanation is that all the elite troopers such as our squad got personal training (compared to bog standard troopers) from different experts in their field, which also meant that the clones picked up their mannerism and speech patterns.

That still doesn't explain why 38 sounds like (read: is voiced by the actor of) Jango Fett.

It's actually best to never think about any of the logic behind anything in the prequels.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

That still doesn't explain why 38 sounds like (read: is voiced by the actor of) Jango Fett.

They're all clones of Jango Fett and 38 never picked up mannerisms/patterns from anyone else?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nine-gear crow posted:

When does Dash Rendar show up?

He's playing the game:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

He's playing the game:

Daesh Rendar :stare:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh if only you could see Lazyfire's "this user has also been named ..." history.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psion posted:

oh if only you could see Lazyfire's "this user has also been named ..." history.

My favorite recent one was Judgd Dred Scott.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I loving love Republic Commando and everything about except for two specific enemies. Too bad we'll never get another one :(

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you ever need an hour of YouTube's favorite incompetent gamer playing the new Battlefront there is an avenue for that: It's also fantastically edited in ways you need to see for yourself.

If you need to catch up to the backstory to this game, I recently someone's "Anti-Cheese" edits to the first two prequel movies. Be warned that removing Jar Jar and all talk of midichlorans or however you spell them does not make the movies good:

Phantom Menace No Cheese

Attack of the Clones No Cheese

Edit: This game is currently $4 on GOG's winter sale. You can't afford to not buy it now.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 4, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
thank you for this lp. this game should of been my childhood. But poor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

Lazyfire posted:

My favorite recent one was Judgd Dred Scott.

And that's not even getting into the classics. Those doesn't even show up on Steam any more.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Episode Two: Geonosis Pt. 2

Remember the part of Attack of the Clones where they went through the robot factory on Geonosis and C3PO got his head welded to a battle droid body and for some reason had full control of it despite them being completely different droid types with different functions and there being no clear reason why C3P0 could even gain full control of the body? Haha, yeah, I try to not remember it either. For some reason this video made me remember.

I went looking for Super Battle Droid killing strategies the other day, not surprisingly I found that most people had issues with them as well. They have 500 health, but I can't find the data on how much weapons do. I know that the ion grenades will gently caress them up and make them weaker and that hitting the yellow light on their torso under their armor will normally kill them (if aiming at things in the game was accurate like that), but when I say this game has some bullet sponge enemies, these are the guys I'm talking about. For the most part the game limits them to being sort of a set piece enemy, giving you a couple at a time and then filling the rest of the area with the normal droids or the "locals." Later in the game, however, you may end up fighting a solid dozen of them in a single room, so keep watch on the ion grenade count.

Another interesting thing about SBDs in Star Wars games: in Battlefront 2 they were the "soldier" class; the guys with straight laser rifles that threw grenades and that are kind of boring. The interesting thing about them, though, was that instead of grenades they shot rockets (as seen in the game) and instead of having a secondary blaster pistol like all the soldiers from the other factions they had a mini-shotgun thing. They were preferable to play as because headshots on them were a bit different. Instead of having a circular hitbox that stuck out from the body like with the other soldier types, the SBDs had an oval or rectangle in the center of their upper bodies. It may not sound like much of an advantage, but the box was narrow enough that hitting regular headshots on a moving target was drat difficult.

Crunchman61
May 2, 2009
Ah yes I remember this game. I still own two disc copies of it. A single copy and then the copy included in the Fan Favorites collection. Tis a shame we won't ever get another one, especially consider one element of the ending. Even the books didn't give an answer to it which I thought was dumb. Still, great game.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I've played battlefront 2 recently and that rocket on the SBD is about 100 times better than the grenades are.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking of weapons, one thing I found out through a fair amount of in-game experimentation is that the Sniper Attachment is the one gun that you want to always shoot while scoped in: you get a pretty noticeable damage boost when you do so that I think I've seen explained as the advanced scope scanning for weaknesses or some other handwaving. I seem to recall also reading that using the "focus target" command gives your squad a small damage boost in addition of having them shoot more often and more likely to use grenades.
As for orders, if you give your squad a "defend location" command on a bacta dispenser, they will automatically heal themselves as soon as they can.
Finally, the small mechanical "legs" that keep tapping your arm is because the elite geonosian beam weapon uses the elite's own blood as the power source. :gonk:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just a nitpick but do you think you could lower the music volume a bit? It's pretty good for standard epic SW crap but it really drowns out the banter and shooting. It's good when it's autoducked for your talking but just blasts when you aren't.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

radintorov posted:

Finally, the small mechanical "legs" that keep tapping your arm is because the elite geonosian beam weapon uses the elite's own blood as the power source. :gonk:

Which is why you can't reload the weapon.

One thing I love with this game is that every weapon shows it's ammo on the weapon rather than the HUD. This gets bizarre with some of the later weapons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crunchman61 posted:

Ah yes I remember this game. I still own two disc copies of it. A single copy and then the copy included in the Fan Favorites collection. Tis a shame we won't ever get another one, especially consider one element of the ending. Even the books didn't give an answer to it which I thought was dumb. Still, great game.

Yeah, the books started off strongly with Hard Contact, but then spun off into complete insanity by the second book.

A note to any game devs:don't hire Karen Traviss to novelise your game. She is...kind of crazy.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

A note to any game devs:don't hire Karen Traviss to novelise your game. She is...kind of crazy.
Isn't she the author that was really into Mandalorians and was pissed off at George Lucas for turning the remaining ones into pacifist monks?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

radintorov posted:

Isn't she the author that was really into Mandalorians and was pissed off at George Lucas for turning the remaining ones into pacifist monks?

Yeeeeepp!

I can really appreciate what she tried to do, Star Wars is a whole galaxy, so focusing on different parts of it is really cool especially with looking at different factions and cultures. The Mandalorians were always one of those groups that appeared in other works in some capacity and were always kind of interesting, but off to the side, so Hard Contact and the first half of Triple Zero did some cool worldbuilding for them....

Then they became a race of Mary Sue Proud Warrior Folk who were so much more better than the Jedi, so much so that several jedi stop being jedi to be mandalorioans....

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Interesting seeing Republic Commando again. I remember not liking it very much when I played it a few years back- the guns are crap, the enemies are bullet sponges, and the environments are dull. It hasn't aged well.

The clones are a fun bunch of fightin' cliches though.

• Locked thread