Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
now that my bro lent me his x360 controller im giving insanely twisted shadow planet another go and im loving it except when i find a gate that i need a powerup for, or accidentally miss a path on those water currents and i think "thats where the good items are, now ill have to backtrack" doing that and then turns out its another gate that needs to be opened with a later powerup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Castroid.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Exploration platformer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well gently caress, don't leave us hanging!!!!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

platform adventure games

also very glad that 2016 will be the year of la-mulana 2

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Upgrade-centric labyrinthine platformer

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just got the final powerup in this game and its an electric beam to power up.... gates

its not even an aditional gameplay mechanic like the bouncing laser beams of the shield, its a doorkey.
what a load of garbage see that poo poo sours me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any Metroidvania games that have keys are warning signs to me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Shadow Complex

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's coming to PC

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
another good example from shadow planet, is where they have a skill where its only mechanically complemented in very specific points
the bouncing laser it only works on THESE surfaces but not THESE others its also why i thought the hookshot in zelda was loving gay there is no puzzle its congrats you found the spot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hookshot in LttP was nice because it's also a useful weapon for paralyzing enemies. This is something Prime did really well. It's basically colored keys for doors but each key is a valuable weapon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hookshot is great against darknuts/moblins with shields because it pulls the shield off them

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
labyrinthine

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ArfJason posted:

another good example from shadow planet, is where they have a skill where its only mechanically complemented in very specific points
the bouncing laser it only works on THESE surfaces but not THESE others its also why i thought the hookshot in zelda was loving gay there is no puzzle its congrats you found the spot

portal 2's where is waldo but with white surfaces

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

program666 posted:

portal 2's where is waldo but with white surfaces

i was gonna cite that as an example too, but i decided not to since its not really metroidvania. the point is still valid though imo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

It's coming to PC

Whoa, what the hell.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

program666 posted:

labyrinthine

U like my word?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i heard axiom verge was rear end. is this true

program666
Aug 22, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

U like my word?

it's a sweet sweet word, rarely used

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

i heard axiom verge was rear end. is this true

starts off alright but the bosses after the first few are poo poo and the world isn't very fun to explore

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

U like my word?

i dont think you invented it. im sure ive heard it before

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

map game

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i dont think you invented it. im sure ive heard it before

Im popularizing the word. Im trying to make it cool to say.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i love super metroid and metroid prime

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Arkham Asylum

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Guacamelee

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hookshot in LttP was nice because it's also a useful weapon for paralyzing enemies. This is something Prime did really well. It's basically colored keys for doors but each key is a valuable weapon.

This is what arkham asylum got right.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Arkham Asylum

arkham asylum and city incorporating its traversal tools in puzzles AND combat was fantastic. most of the riddler stuff was pretty good too
asylum i dont know know if its really like a metroid because you are constantly pointed by the story towards the next building or whatever and discovery of the next point of interest doesnt come from, idk uh "really tall ledge and getting the space jump then coming back". that example is still gating, only not as purposeless as Shadow Planet's electricity tool. in asylum its more like "sir, joker is killing at the killing house" "alfred send me the nokill grapple line" and youre on your way

City is just an open world deal and i havent played the rest but i dont imagine theyre much different

theyre still stellar games either way

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was really sick on Link between Worlds how every normal dungeon was modeled for a single item but since you could rent or but them at any time you could do them on any order you'd want to.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ArfJason posted:

in asylum its more like "sir, joker is killing at the killing house" "alfred send me the nokill grapple line" and youre on your way

Haha dude

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Im popularizing the word. Im trying to make it cool to say.

well im going to make it deeply unpopular. whenever i hear someone say the word im going to say it back with a real sarcastic retard voice and mock them about it putting it into conversations in a labyrinthine way that doesnt even make sense in the context of the sentence

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i hope that game igarashi kickstarted turns out to be good.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not that I'm trying to be rude or anything but I feel like the OP has actually posted this thread verbatim before. If that was addressed already, never mind. Just though I'd say, good on you for persistence matey.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

i looked up on wikipedia that sometimes they are called castletroids or igavanias.

it's not much better tho.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Not that I'm trying to be rude or anything but I feel like the OP has actually posted this thread verbatim before. If that was addressed already, never mind. Just though I'd say, good on you for persistence matey.

i dont remember and if i did its pretty gay

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

they should be called medroid-likes because castlevania didn't start doing them until ten years later and has not earned the right to name the entire genre after itself

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If it helps at all, OP, the word I would think first describes the philosophy of those games is "retrospect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

cartograsplorer

• Locked thread