Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
November 22, 1963

The motorcade through Dallas earlier today. The President’s limousine rides in front, yours is two cars back.

You’ve been standing against the wall now for what feels like forever. Three sheets pulled around a track along the ceiling enclose your little cubicle, a hospital room devoted not to fighting death but to waiting for it. Lady Bird is sitting nearby. Every now and then you and her exchange a few wordless glances. Despite your rages, your infidelities, your constant criticisms, her loyalty and concern have always been doubtlessly unfailing. Those glances convey everything - fear, confusion, and a shameful spark of ambition that three years of embarrassing marginalization as the Vice President had nearly put to rest in both of you. Homer Thornberry and Jack Brooks, Texas congressmen, and one of their aides are standing in the room with you drinking coffee but saying nothing. None of them have anything to say.

You sent Agent Youngblood to find out what he could a while ago. Roy Kellerman, chief of the White House Secret Service detail, was able to let you know the President was in surgery before he ran off. Interminable minutes later, Kellerman’s deputy Emory Roberts came by to say that he had seen the President, and in his opinion he couldn’t make it. He urged you to leave, an assessment Agent Youngblood agreed with. A President and a Governor were shot, the assailant was unknown, and there could well be a conspiracy targeting you next.

But you refused. You won’t leave until you know for sure. You have to know for sure. And to know for sure you should hear it from one of Kennedy’s staff. So you, Lady Bird, the congressmen and their aide, and Agent Youngblood continue to wait.

This second vigil is unrelieved by new information or new faces for an even longer time than the first. Finally Kenny O’Donnell, Kennedy’s closest staff member, brushes aside the muslin sheet and you just know. He has it written in shock on his face. He walks up to you without ever looking you in the eye.

“He’s gone.”

You, Lyndon Baines Johnson, are now President of the United States of America. Former President Kennedy is dead, his body lying somewhere in the same hospital as you. There may be a conspiracy to eliminate the US government playing out right now. Your Secret Service agents want you to head to the airport immediately and fly to Washington, where you’ll be officially sworn in as President. However, that will take time in which the leadership of the United States will be in doubt. Who knows what trouble Russia or Cuba could get themselves up to in those hours, especially if they were planning this all along. You could be sworn in on the plane as soon as a judge is found, though some of Kennedy’s loyalists might see that as overeager and disrespectful. Decisions need to be made, Mr. President.

1) Will you take the oath of office now or wait until you fly back to Washington?
A. Take the oath now in Dallas.
B. Wait to take the oath until back in Washington.

2) Does the President's casket and Jacqueline Kennedy need to return to Washington on your plane or can they follow later?
A. Yes, he was and she is beloved by the public and it will show continuity.
B. No, let Jacqueline and Kennedy's staff grieve and take their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Welcome to You Are LBJ, a Choose Your Own Adventure story where you play as none other than 36th President of the United States Lyndon Johnson. I thought this would be appropriate for EE since the election of 1964 and (depending on how the thread goes) 1968 will be major parts of this game. Also the collection of politics nerds here seems a better fit for it. If the mods deem it inappropriate feel free to move it to Play-by-Post, I suppose.

These first couple decisions are going to concern the immediate aftermath of Kennedy's assassination, and then the time between choices will stretch out to cover policy decisions and the upcoming election. If anyone's interested, for LBJ's first term I'm relying heavily on Caro's amazing biography and for his second term a collection of other LBJ biographies, though I anticipate goon-led history diverging before then.

rakovsky maybe has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Dec 3, 2015

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
1)B

2)A

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
1) A - This is the Cold War, the USA and USSR are about 5 seconds away from nuking each other. Continuity is key.

2) A - Same.

Mrit has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Dec 3, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
1) A

2) A

The president has been assassinated, immediacy is important.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1) A
2) A
3) Drop trou

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
1) A - can't let the commies win
2) B - corpses are disgusting and I don't want to air my nutsack out on a plane with a ghost

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Are we going to take meetings on the can? If not end the CYOA.

A,B.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Are we going to take meetings on the can?

What part of You Are LBJ did you not understand? Of course we'll be taking meetings on the can when we aren't bragging about our giant dick and balls.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A A

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

C) Order new pants that don't slice from balls to bunghole

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1. A: We must become President immediately. No questions.

2. A: If necessary, establish genital dominance in flight.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
1) C, I take my oath of office to MIAMI BEACH

2) B, that thing is gonna get pretty rancid if we take it to Miami with us.

Given that we just had a player go down with a career-ending injury, we need to get ready for the next press conference, the media are going to be expecting us to take the leadership role on this team.

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall
1. A
2. A

How is this even a discussion?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
1. C, gently caress you I do what I want I'm LB motherfucking J
2. C, gently caress you I do what I want I'm LB mother loving J.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

B B

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
1) B
2) B

You're LBJ, nobody that knows what's up is going to gently caress with your authority.

Definitely take your dick out at the first opportunity.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
1A
2A

And while the plane is on its way to Washington, the new president will cheer up the grieving widow by putting his dick on her shoulder.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
B)

A)

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
What do we want?
THE PRESIDENCY!
When do we want it?
NOW!

1. A

Do we want a smoking hot, emotionally vulnerable babe on our plane? Yes, we do want a smoking hot, emotionally vulnerable babe on our plane.

2. A

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Before I do anything, look for a republican to get in the face of and tower over

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

Before I do anything, look for a republican to get in the face of and tower over

Can we tell Jackie to suck it if she really wants on that flight?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
C, resign and leave the Presidency to John McCormack.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
B

A

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Some day we will have an LBJ movie starring Michael Fassbinder because there is no one else alive who could give you the full LBJ experience.

A)
B)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

A

A

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Skeesix posted:

Some day we will have an LBJ movie starring Michael Fassbinder because there is no one else alive who could give you the full LBJ experience.

HBO is producing a biopic series starring Bryan Cranston as the man himself.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I detonate the belt of plastic explosives, killing myself and every bourgeoise within a 150 foot radius in order to advance the cause of Maoism third world ism .

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I hope we get a chance to direct the Warren Commission to pin this on JFK's true killer (GHW Bush).

also, A + A

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
1. A

2. A

Also

Lord of Pie posted:

C) Order new pants that don't slice from balls to bunghole

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
First, I grab a paperclip from a nearby endtable. If we don't do this now, we won't be able to get the True ending.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A, A, LBJ, how many Presidents will get killed today?

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Dec 3, 2015

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
1. 15 A / 5 B Take the Oath now in Dallas.
2. 15 A / 6 B Yes, he was and she is beloved by the public and it will show continuity.

November 23, 1963

Over the protestations of the Secret Service and members of your staff, you go to Air Force One but keep the plane grounded until Mrs. Kennedy and the casket had been brought on board. More pressingly, there is one necessary call that you dread making. Rose Kennedy had been easy - you turned the phone over to Lady Bird after a perfunctory expression of sadness. But now you had to get the legal advice of the man who had spent the last three years seeking to embarrass and defeat you. More importantly, you need the support of the new Kennedy family patriarch.

But when you ask Robert Kennedy about the procedure for swearing in a new president, he seems to think you should wait. He wants President Kennedy to come back as President Kennedy. In fact he seems surprised and confused by you even daring to ask. Your awkward conversation ends with a promise that he would call you back. A few minutes later he does, if only to confirm that you can take the oath now with any federal judge and to offer the dictation to your secretary. You send Lady Bird to fetch Jacqueline - it’s important for the country that she be here for this.

Aboard Air Force One, surrounded by Secret Service Agents, your staff, Kennedy’s staff, and flanked by your wife and the former President’s, you are sworn in as President of the United States in a strange, solemn ceremony. The trip home is a chance to gather your staff and begin preparations. The next election is almost a year away, and you’re distrusted by many in your own party. You’ve spent the last three years as a do-nothing Vice President. There’s no guarantee you’ll even be on the ticket in ‘64, depending on if that rear end in a top hat Robert Kennedy decides to make trouble.

Upon landing you hold an underwhelming press conference - the nation’s eyes aren’t on you but the dead President, his widow, his children, and his brother. The Secret Service shuttles you to the White House. Upon seeing all the Kennedy trappings still filling the place, you decide to head for your old office in the nearby Executive Office Building.

As the first matter of business, you need to decide on how to approach your staff. Most of the Kennedy men are whip-smart, educated, Harvard men - intellectuals with sway among the Northeastern liberal elites and media. They also dislike you, and some may even despise you. Behind your back they would call you “Rufus Cornpone” or “Uncle Rufus” for your Texan accent and habit of telling corny stories. Many of them have said they won’t have the heart to continue their work. They joined because of love for Jack. But a mass exodus of Kennedy men from your administration might make it look weak or uncertain.

1) Who will make up your administration?
A. Replace the Kennedy men who resign with trusted Johnson men. You have always favored loyalty among your staff over intelligence or initiative. These men might be less effective at promoting your agenda but they won’t undermine you.
B. Beg, plead, and cajole as many Kennedy staffers to stay on as you can. Continuity matters more than anything else, at least for now.
C. You need talented men; Kennedy’s won’t stay and yours are unskilled. Rely on your old Senatorial allies - the Southern bloc - to provide men of intelligence and character. This will infuriate liberals but ingratiate you with a powerful group of conservative congressmen.

The next day McGeorge Bundy has assured you that the White House will be ready for the administration’s use by 9:00 AM, so when you arrive at 9:30 you are surprised to find Kennedy’s secretaries are only beginning to pack. When you ask the women if you can move in yet, they begin crying and have to leave the room. Unfortunately, they run into Robert Kennedy who is arriving just then. You explain the misunderstanding, but the bully won’t hear it He can barely contain his disrespect towards you - you notice he hasn’t yet called you “President”. He asks if you can at least give the secretaries some more time.

Later, at your first real cabinet meeting, Robert Kennedy arrives late. His face wears the same mixture of firmness and grief that it has for two days. Everyone in the cabinet stands up - except you. You had already heard from an aide that he was planning to come in late just to spite you. The remainder of the meeting is awkward and stilted, and you get formal expressions of support from your cabinet but nothing reliable.

Afterwards you try to determine a time to address congress. Kennedy's funeral is planned for Monday. Truman made his speech on the day after Roosevelt's funeral, and you intend for the same. Additionally, Thanksgiving is on Thursday and most of congress wants to go home. When the plan is being made though, you hear from Robert Kennedy that he prefers that you speak on Wednesday, to give the family some time and show respect. You send your staff back to try to persuade him but he is unmoving in his opinion. Perhaps he is just grief-stricken and bull-headed, but another thought enters your mind. Robert Kennedy had always been his brother’s right-hand man while you were relegated to unimportance. If he could find some way to ruin your legitimacy, to steal your Presidency you know he would take it.

2) What should be done about the pain in your rear end named Robert Kennedy?
A. Defer to him on the usage of the White House and the date of the funeral.
B. Grief is no excuse for insubordination, start working out of the White House as soon as possible and keep the funeral on Tuesday.

Finally, in a brief talk with Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield and your ally Senator Hubert Humphrey, they inform you of an upcoming bill due for voting in just three days. It seems the Soviet Union is experiencing widespread food shortages. In the interest of easing tensions President Kennedy offered to let them buy wheat on credit from us. But vehement anti-communist Senator Mundt is pushing legislation that would prohibit the government from extending this credit. He says there’s no reason for the US to prop up a hostile communist government. While Kennedy was alive, the bill was almost certain to pass. He had never been very effective at controlling the legislature, and refused to use your expertise in doing so. In fact, as near as you can tell Kennedy’s entire legislative agenda is stalled.

3) Will you try to fight the Mundt Bill?
A. The President holds authority over foreign affairs, not the legislature. Teach them who's in charge now by rallying your congressional allies to destroy the bill.
B. Who cares about wheat sales to the Soviet Union? Let the bill pass, no one will be paying attention with a state funeral before and Thanksgiving after.
C. Undermine the Mundt Bill by coming out in favor of not aiding the Soviet Union and thus eliminating the need for it, then pressuring your allies to kill the bill quietly.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A

B

A

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

C
B
A

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
C
B
A

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Pull out wiener and show it to secretary. Call it "Jumbo".

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It's no secret that we have never gotten along with Bobby Kennedy (especially after that drat hunting trip), but there's no reason to make the situation worse. Bobby is clearly in the middle of a mental breakdown. He is not trying to sabotage our presidency using his brother's funeral. We lose very little by showing him some patience now and avoid some headache in the long-term by keeping him on our side, as unwilling an ally as he may be. It will also probably act as an olive branch to Kennedy's staffers, among whom Bobby has a great deal of respect. If we want to keep on one, it would be a good idea to avoid alienating the other.

Also, Mundt can go to hell.

1. B
2. A
3. A

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Dec 4, 2015

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
C
B
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
1. A
2. B
3. C
This Robert Kennedy send like trouble, someone will need to take care of him soon.

• Locked thread