Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Forgot one bit of red tape - there's plenty of international vendors sitting on their militaries' old stock who'd be happy to sell whatever to American buyers, but the BATFE has placed a bunch of restrictions on the import of 'non-sporting arms' wherein they must be disabled to the point where the ATF doesn't consider them arms anymore. So for products there's an actual market for, there's a few major businesses whose basic model is to have Crazy Vaclav chop up a bunch of battlefield salvage, ship it over the border, weld it back together on this side, and sell it. I guess this is the government creating jobs?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You gotta be completely delusional about the world you live in, if you think that you could legally buy a working SAM, as a private citizen.

If it's not explicitly illegal yet, then that's because no one bothered to go through the legislature for the ban and instead found some more convenient way.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What would stop S&W or one of the other firearm manufacturers from developing a more cost-friendly bazooka for personal use? From what LC and others have said, there are technically no restrictions on the purchase, other than some red tape and the high cost. So theoretically, any company can make them and sell them to the general public under the same regulations that currently exist for firearms, right?

Would this not scare the ever loving poo poo out of people?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The launchers themselves seem relatively cheap, but, for example, a Stinger missile cost tens of thousands of dollars. I guess a firearm company can't manufacture these things for cheap personal use because a) nobody wants them really, and b) they primarily sell to the US or foreign militaries so they will obviously want to price gouge as hard as possible.

There are apparently lots of laws and red flags associated with buying and storing these kind of explosives and weapons, so if you were going to commit some kind of atrocity, you'd be better off doing it under the radar.

I found a curious reference to what I imagine is a very antiquated law against "frighting", which could possibly be used to stop a person walking the street with a missile launcher on their shoulder. It's a law also designed to stop people walking around in public places with a big axe and scaring people, i.e. being a general nuisance.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Omne posted:

What would stop S&W or one of the other firearm manufacturers from developing a more cost-friendly bazooka for personal use? From what LC and others have said, there are technically no restrictions on the purchase, other than some red tape and the high cost. So theoretically, any company can make them and sell them to the general public under the same regulations that currently exist for firearms, right?

I don't know anything about US law, but assuming that RPGs are not illegal yet and some dumbass company tried to market one to gun enthusiasts:

- the company would suffer an enormous publicity blow for trying to supply terrorist with the best possible terrorist weapon imaginable

- legislature would unanimously pass a law prohibiting the sale and purchase of war materials on the next day after the announcement

- CEO of the company would resigns in shame for creating a huge PR shitstorm for no reason at all

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 15, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Omne posted:

R&D is phenomenally expensive, manufacture and distribution of high explosives isn't remotely their business model nor one they have any interest in getting into, there's no demand, and gun companies are corporations selling products people want for money not mad scientists (mostly). It takes decades and an overwhelming shift in the marketplace to get S&W to even start making slightly different kinds of pistols, you're talking the guys who threw their weight behind the Assault Weapons Ban rather than accept the transition from revolvers.

You can get a pretty good picture of what the market would look like with suppressors - same limited market leads drives a little spraycan-sized steel muffler like the poo poo hanging off your car to become some $1k+ space age supercan, because there's not enough money to be made in going cheap and selling in volume. That's for a single, nonconsumable item with a pretty established niche demand and a lot of utility in the hands of a private owner, too, versus going through the same rigamarole for every last round of something that isn't legally good for much more than letting people who own 500-acre farms they can turn into artillery ranges burn hundreds of bucks with one trigger pull to blow that thar old truck, and that they'll probably sue you for with their rich-guy lawyers if they blow themselves up too. Once in a while old rocket and grenade launchers will show up on the market, and they're usually pretty affordable, it's when you ever want to shoot it that's the killer - even inert rounds and flares run fantastically expensive for a couple seconds of giggles.

Someone linked further up there a small company that's been testing the waters with marketing flamethrowers as fancy toys rather than agricultural tools, which seems relatively straightforward both legally and from the perspective of there probably being a bunch of dudes out there who never got over their old Super Soaker and can afford a can of gasoline, and already the usual suspects are fanning themselves and shrieking dumbfuck poo poo about the new plague of driveby flamethrowings and trying to abolish fire, so there's that too.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 15, 2015

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If someone was to suggest that you could kill the President of the United States in his White House office with an RPG from the publicly accessible fence or shoot down his helicopter with a Stinger missile from the same spot(while its landing or taking off), that would be EXTREMELY illegal. It would be TOTALLY illegal to talk about stuff like this in this thread!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you seem kinda nutso guy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the real "ban" on surface to air missiles, RPGs, giant cannons, or other ridiculous poo poo, is the extreme cost of actually buying one. Hell, flamethrowers actually aren't under any federal regulation and to my knowledge are completely unregulated aside from some state laws.

EDIT: Available in up to 12 different colors and finishes to compliment your personal style!
http://store.xm42.com/XM42-Flamethrower-p/xm42.htm

Flamethrowers actually have pretty useful civilian roles, too. I've used something similar for burning out ditches full of brambles and ditchweed at my grandparents' farm.

Also, don't forget that manufacturing things classed as Destructive Devices runs to about $4500 for three years in taxes alone, so you're not going to get many hobby builders unless they can sell in bulk. No profit in it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 15, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i wish somebody would go ahead and get real about rocket propelled bullets with tiny little warheads for my personal protection and sporting needs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What, gyrojet rounds? They never caught on, I don't think anyone's manufactured any in 50 years.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

these days the defense contractor nerds are working on guided ones

in the vaccuum tube days it was just an idea before its time, man

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
it's about time it made a comeback then isn't it. cross promote it with a new fallout 4 expansion in time for q4 2016. if i can buy a little drone for $10 there's no reason i can't have an affordable guided missile gun the size of a glock 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Mass shootings didn't really exist until feminism started to take off. Really makes u think.

• Locked thread