Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I hope my recipient likes hops. Just left Carton!

Slore Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Guess I'm making a jaunt to wisconsin tomorrow!!! I wonder if they have beer there?!?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm in this time around. $$$anta peaked my interest.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Screw it, I can't miss out on a BIF! There's too much beer here in the Cincinnati area so i need to unload some of it on you guys.

sterster posted:

gently caress it signed up. What's the consequence if I fail to ship by the 16th?

In my experience, you become consumed with guilt and throw in a few more grumblers and beers from your cellar in a desperate plea for forgiveness from the beer gods.

Edit: I'd like be $$$anta, but most of the local brewery-only stuff isn't quite to whale status yet, there's plenty of incredible beer around here, it just doesn't have anyone trading their firstborn child for it quite yet...

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Apache
May 11, 2004

Merkin Muffley posted:

Screw it, I can't miss out on a BIF! There's too much beer here in the Cincinnati area so i need to unload some of it on you guys.

In my experience, you become consumed with guilt and throw in a few more grumblers and beers from your cellar in a desperate plea for forgiveness from the beer gods.

Edit: I'd like be $$$anta, but most of the local brewery-only stuff isn't quite to whale status yet, there's plenty of incredible beer around here, it just doesn't have anyone trading their firstborn child for it quite yet...

I don't think the $$$anta bottles have to be whales, just brewery only or limited releases of good beer, and only 4 of the bottles have to be that. Hopefully my recipient likes stouts.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Merkin Muffley posted:

I'm in the same boat. I signed up for regular but at least 3 of the bottles I'm shipping are brewery only and good beers, but probably not up to the standards of some of the actual $$$anta bottles some people will likely send. Every box people send in the BIFs I've been in usually kick rear end either way though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I don't think the $$$anta level was supposed to be a whale-trading club. I'll be sending small local releases, a "special release" or two, and some other goodies. The point is to send good beer, not show off your beer peen.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Apache posted:

Hopefully my recipient likes stouts.
This ^

nosleep posted:

I signed up for regular but at least 3 of the bottles I'm shipping are brewery only and good beers, but probably not up to the standards of some of the actual $$$anta bottles some people will likely send.

I'm actually in the same boat too. Want to share the best we have which means crowlers/growlers which are brewery only.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

danbanana posted:

I don't think the $$$anta level was supposed to be a whale-trading club. I'll be sending small local releases, a "special release" or two, and some other goodies. The point is to send good beer, not show off your beer peen.

I think it would be easier to just have one standard for the BIF. It's a holiday about generosity. Let's not be goony and sperg out on how many bottles are brewery only etc. I'm sure the magi's gifts weren't refused for not including a specially wrapped bottle of franksense or whatever...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Lt_Tofu posted:

I think it would be easier to just have one standard for the BIF. It's a holiday about generosity. Let's not be goony and sperg out on how many bottles are brewery only etc. I'm sure the magi's gifts weren't refused for not including a specially wrapped bottle of franksense or whatever...

Both lists are reasonably well-populated I think, no need to rock the metaphorical sleigh

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eejit posted:

Both lists are reasonably well-populated I think, no need to rock the metaphorical sleigh

Haha, maybe I was more heated then I should have been. Just seems people are intimidated by it. Going to stick to yelling at the kids in my yard, if I only owned a yard.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I did it! I'm in.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Lt_Tofu posted:

Yeah, it'd be easier. The thing is that the beer community here includes a wide variety of people. We've got some people who are just discovering IPAs and others who have huge cellars and literally ship pallets of beer back home when they're on vacation. Adding $$$anta is my way of trying to accommodate both ends of the spectrum. I didn't want to exclude people by making it the only option so I offered it up for beer nerds who wanted to do something a little more expensive that involves limited bottles etc. If there was an uproar about it or if few people signed up I'd have removed it.

I've run 3 other BIFs here and it's my experience that if you don't spell out all the requirements you run the risk of people sending dramatically different boxes which can lead to a lot of feelbads. I'm willing to be the one who looks like a spergy hardass if it means everyone leaves happy with what they've sent and received.

Edit: Changed some wording around. Don't want it to sound like the regular version is meant just for people new to beer or anything.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 8, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah, it'd be easier. The thing is that the beer community here includes a wide variety of people. We've got some people who are just discovering IPAs and others who have huge cellars and literally ship pallets of beer back home when they're on vacation. Adding $$$anta is my way of trying to accommodate both ends of the spectrum. I didn't want to exclude people by making it the only option so I offered it up a choice for experienced beer nerds who wanted to do something bigger that involves more limited bottles. If there was an uproar about it or if few people signed up I'd have removed it.

I've run 3 other BIFs here and it's my experience that if you don't spell out all the requirements you run the risk of people sending dramatically different boxes which can lead to a lot of feelbads. I'm willing to be the one who looks like a spergy hardass if it means everyone leaves happy with what they've sent and received.

I thought it was a good idea as well, fwiw. I could $$$anta easily, but I ¢anta'd instead because it's just better financially for me at the moment and I am gonna be happy with whatever I get anyway. Not every BIF needs to be tiered, but since this is like the fourth or fifth one and the first to be tiered, it's good.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Eejit posted:

I thought it was a good idea as well, fwiw. I could $$$anta easily, but I ¢anta'd instead because it's just better financially for me at the moment and I am gonna be happy with whatever I get anyway. Not every BIF needs to be tiered, but since this is like the fourth or fifth one and the first to be tiered, it's good.

Thanks for the input! I'm sure everybody will be happy with their boxes regardless of which one they're doing.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Can you add brewery stickers to my Santa list and Meads as a like/want?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

sterster posted:

Can you add brewery stickers to my Santa list and Meads as a like/want?

Done and done!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can you Soleil de Minuit to my $$$anta list?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Can you Soleil de Minuit to my $$$anta list?

Sure, did you want that instead of Loerik or should I leave both?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LeafHouse posted:

Sure, did you want that instead of Loerik or should I leave both?

Less jokes, more BIF assignments :bahgawd:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

Less jokes, more BIF assignments :bahgawd:

I'll have em all out later tonight when I'm done working.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Lt_Tofu posted:

Haha, maybe I was more heated then I should have been. Just seems people are intimidated by it. Going to stick to yelling at the kids in my yard, if I only owned a yard.

"Intimidated" is the right word. I've only shipped and traded beer four times; and those trades happen to be the four previous BIFs here on SA. I've loved sending out beer from here that's near and dear to me, and every box I've received has been amazing. The only perspective I have for the trading game is from local beer groups where wagging your beer dick around is the name of the game. I read "brewery only" and "90+ BA rating" and I start to question whether or not the box of my favorite locals would live up to a more experienced trader sending their A-game to me.

Long story short, I really like beer, and i really want to share my beer, and someone here is getting a box of beer that I think is pretty great. All hail the BIF!

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Merkin Muffley posted:

Long story short, I really like beer, and i really want to share my beer, and someone here is getting a box of beer that I think is pretty great. All hail the BIF!

Well I for one hope I get beer from you. Sending from Canada is a bit strange, I have easy access to what people associate with Canadian beer, namely Peche Mortel and Unibroue stuff. But that's boring, there's so much more cool stuff, but it's not rated 90+ on BA because BA is really for American drinkers and rare brewery releases here well have maybe 5 or 10 reviews.

What I'm saying is, I hope whoever gets me likes the relatively unheard of stuff I send them.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

ReaperUnreal posted:

Well I for one hope I get beer from you. Sending from Canada is a bit strange, I have easy access to what people associate with Canadian beer, namely Peche Mortel and Unibroue stuff. But that's boring, there's so much more cool stuff, but it's not rated 90+ on BA because BA is really for American drinkers and rare brewery releases here well have maybe 5 or 10 reviews.

What I'm saying is, I hope whoever gets me likes the relatively unheard of stuff I send them.

The last thing I want to do is have someone disappointed by the box I send them vs. the box they sent out. A lot of you guys have regular access to some world renowned, god-tier beers. I do too, but I don't at the same time. I have a dozen different beers that you'd never get to try outside of the OH/KY area that would knock your socks off, they're just not talked about the same way...

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 9, 2015

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Merkin Muffley posted:

The last thing I want to do is have someone disappointed by the box I send them vs. the box they sent out. A lot of you guys have regular access to some world renowned, god-tier beers. I do too, but I don't at the same time. I have a dozen different beers that you'd never get to try outside of the OH/KY area that would knock your socks off, they're just not talked about the same way...

Which is kind of the point with things like this. I'm absolutely interested in new, good local things and if this bif wasn't the third box I'll be sending to goons in the last week or so, I'd be hitting you up for a locals trade.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Honestly I get a lot more enjoyment out of shipping a box full of brewery exclusives than I do out of getting a box in return. I just want to share awesome beer with people.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Sorry for the intimidating OP! I was out of control with the BA rating requirement, the last BIF I did had one so I carried it over. Thanks for talking me down on that one. Relax, have fun and send then drink some really awesome beer!

Letters have been sent out to everyone! Let me know if you have any questions on anything or if yours got lost on its way to you.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Do you guys normally give hints in the thread in previous years? That can be fun.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

LeafHouse posted:

Sorry for the intimidating OP! I was out of control with the BA rating requirement, the last BIF I did had one so I carried it over. Thanks for talking me down on that one. Relax, have fun and send then drink some really awesome beer!

Letters have been sent out to everyone! Let me know if you have any questions on anything or if yours got lost on its way to you.

Don't worry too much about the $$$$$$$anta thing, it looks like the intended audience was reached based on the response.

Also after getting my Santa letter I worry that mine was too vague...oh well!! Rolling the dice is fun!!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

Don't worry too much about the $$$$$$$anta thing, it looks like the intended audience was reached based on the response.

Also after getting my Santa letter I worry that mine was too vague...oh well!! Rolling the dice is fun!!

Yes. Mine was... not informative.

Also, my BIFee's request just made my job a little harder. My plans for the box need to be completely overhauled.

And FYI: whomever got me as their BIFee, please message me a tracking number when sending. We've had packages stolen in the last few months and keeping an eye on incoming boxes has helped.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Do you guys normally give hints in the thread in previous years? That can be fun.

Not normally but that sounds like fun to me so let's do it.

krustster posted:

Yours was certainly not the most vague letter to go out so no worries haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah haha mine was very vague compared to what I received. All cool though, got some good options to send out :)

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Mine was vague as well, but you can send me anything and I'll enjoy it. Not picky at all.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I'm gonna have to pack mine very very well...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Mine is not going to Chicago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My box is heading East...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My box is going to someone who knows that they're getting it from me because they assigned it to me

:iiam:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mine is heading west.

I just went shopping and have almost* everything for my box.

I hope my santee likes it. They have like a million checkins on Untappd. :ohdearsass:

*I need to drive to my in-laws on Saturday to pick up a couple bottles of homebrew to sweeten the pot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
HEAD WEST, (mostly) CHICAGO BEER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

My BIFee likes Stouts, Sours and IPAs. Anybody know where I can get those in Chicago???

• Locked thread