Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yay!
Enjoy the beers and definitely let me know what you think of the Transient ones at least (they are so freaking good). Totally agree on Neckbeard Nectar, when I heard the name it was a revelation "Wow, that is the perfect Imperial Stout with adjunct name!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I just got notification that my box is waiting for me at home so can't wait to post a trip report tonight.

Also, I now have regrets that I didn't do a little write up for each beer in my box.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bag of Sun Chips sent me a glass butt plug :confuoot:

Kidding! This is a riduclously awesome box, I am super excited and put 10 out of 11 beers straight into my fridge! (The Philanthropist is going into the cellar to share!)

De Garde Foeder d'or and proper glassware! I love De Garde and this one sounds mighty tasty to me.

Witch's Hat Bear Witch Project - Lichtenhainer, basically? I dig this style and am excited to pop this.

Council Beatitude 3 Berry - I don't know if this is coincidence or you saw me ranting about losing an entire case of Beatitude to Fedex, but thank you! That's killer that I can drown my sorrow in a bit of delicious Council saison.

Grand Rapids Philanthropist Bourbon Barrel Barleywine - This one must be super rarwalez because there are like 15 reviews on BA for it -- exciting! Putting it in the cellar to share some day in the future!

Dark Horse
Bourbon Barrel Pt5th
Bourbrum Barrel Pt5th
Sarsaparilla 666
- I love PT5 and didn't get any this year, so I'm excited just about that! But BourbRum sounds even better, and that sarsaparilla jawn is right up my alley!

Oddside
Queen of Tarts
BBA Mayan Mocha
Hazel's Nuts
Hipster Brunch
- I've had one or two Oddside beers and they were awesome, so I'm looking forward to Mayan Mocha, also I didn't luck into Hipster Brunch and am really pumped for it! Plus I really dig hazelnut stuff, so that one is gonna be awesome too! Queen of Tarts is super my jam too, sour wheat with raspberry.

All in all, this is a dope rear end box of stuff that I'm really excited to drink, and am going to drink really soon, probably in like 5 minutes actually since it's 44 outside and the beers are already cold!

Thanks for being awesome, Bag of Sun Chips!

EDIT: Like I said...

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 18, 2015

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Grand Rapids Philanthropist Bourbon Barrel Barleywine - This one must be super rarwalez because there are like 15 reviews on BA for it -- exciting! Putting it in the cellar to share some day in the future!

This poo poo, yo. The wax on that appears to be a different release than the one I had from 2013, but I can tell you that at one time it was as good as any BA'd barleywine as I've ever had. We opened my last bottle at the recent Chicagoon share and it actually got hotter (???) than it was fresh. But holy poo poo... that beer is good.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Holy cow, beer Santa @_@

I'm so excited to share some of these with my local drinking buddies. Now I want to have another one of these things so I can step my game up (and maybe during a season when my local breweries are making better stuff).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Whoever sent me a box, I got it but I'm away from home for the weekend. I'll get to it as soon as I get back!

Apache
May 11, 2004

Just received a well packed and well wrapped box from Jerome Louis. Lots of great northern California goodness here. I've never tried anything from Rare Barrel, Sante Adairius, or Sonoma Pride before(though it looks like Sonoma pride is brewed by Russian River, so it must be very good), and the 2 week old Pliny and 3 week old Blind Pig are going to be consumed this weekend. Not pictured was the Sante Adarius glass, which sadly did not survive FedEx's abuse.

Beers in picture from left to right:
Sante Adairius Saison Bernice - Brett Saison
Sante Adairius / Triple Rock Barrel Aged Cellarman - Wine barrel saison
Rare Barrel Map of the Sun - Apricot Sour Ale
RR Consecration
RR Santification - Haven't had this before, looking forward to trying it for the first time.
RR Blind Pig - 3 weeks old, can't wait to get to this tomorrow or Sunday
RR Pliny - 2 weeks old
Sonoma Pride Dauenhauer - well hopped wild ale
Sonoma Pride Amasa - extra dry wild ale

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Just got an awesome holiday beer box from ChickenArise!

From left to right:
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Vanilla Virginia Black Bear: Russian Imperial Stout
Epic Brewing - Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout: Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added aged in whiskey barrels
Terrapin Beer - So fresh & so green, green: Fresh Hop IPA
3 Stars Brewing - Peppercorn Saison: Saison brewed with green, white, and pink peppercorns
Hardywood - Gingerbread Stout: Imperial milk stout with local ginger and honey
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Bourbon Barrel Three Chopt Tripel: Aggressively hopped barrel aged Tripel

Very freaking cool. I don't think I've had beers from any of the breweries besides Terrapin and they all sound great. Especially excited for the barrel aged Tripel and the Equinox freshly hopped IPA.
Also pretty sure the Gingerbread Stout is getting opened tonight for game night.

I am curious which is the one you have never tried.

Anyway thank you very much ChickenArise!!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Some drat fine lookin boxes!

If there is anyone who has yet to ship out please post (or pm me) and let us know!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ChiTownEddie posted:

Just got an awesome holiday beer box from ChickenArise!

From left to right:
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Vanilla Virginia Black Bear: Russian Imperial Stout
Epic Brewing - Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout: Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added aged in whiskey barrels
Terrapin Beer - So fresh & so green, green: Fresh Hop IPA
3 Stars Brewing - Peppercorn Saison: Saison brewed with green, white, and pink peppercorns
Hardywood - Gingerbread Stout: Imperial milk stout with local ginger and honey
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Bourbon Barrel Three Chopt Tripel: Aggressively hopped barrel aged Tripel

Very freaking cool. I don't think I've had beers from any of the breweries besides Terrapin and they all sound great. Especially excited for the barrel aged Tripel and the Equinox freshly hopped IPA.
Also pretty sure the Gingerbread Stout is getting opened tonight for game night.

Anyway thank you very much ChickenArise!!

BBB is such a good beer for being plentiful and available all the drat time. And cheap too, especially for the ABV

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LeafHouse posted:

Some drat fine lookin boxes!

If there is anyone who has yet to ship out please post (or pm me) and let us know!

My guy who has me and I agreed to a late shipment to ensure it arrives on a day when I'm home.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

ChickenArise posted:

Holy cow, beer Santa @_@

I'm so excited to share some of these with my local drinking buddies. Now I want to have another one of these things so I can step my game up (and maybe during a season when my local breweries are making better stuff).

Glad you like. Hopefully you enjoyed the letter stickers and extra bs that was thrown in. You'll have to let me know what you think of some of them. Az has a not so diverse selection of beers so it makes it tough.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Nth Doctor hooking a brotha up with a sweet variety pack. I haven't had most of these, but the ones I've had (Dragon's Milk, Plead the 5th) are awesome and hard to come by around these parts. Mosaic is my favorite hop so I'm looking forward to blasting that tape. Overall a cool mix and I will provide a no holds barred critique of your homebrew as a reward :guinness:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
:frogsiren: A totally inappropriate box of tapes arrived today from Lt_Tofu!! I actually found myself mildly upset (in a good way) because now I have so many extreme new beers to drink and I already had so many!

It includes:
-Pizza Port Chronic
-Alpine Hoppy Birthday
-Bottle Logic Recursion
-Modern Times Mega Fortunate Islands
-Council Beatitude w/peaches & nectarines
-4 different Highland Park tapes
-Alesmith XX Reforged (BA anniversary ale!!)
-Bottle Logic German Chocolate Cake (?!) growler
And a mystery bottle hand illustrated with candy canes! Thanks a billion, and curse you for destroying my physical fitness goals!! :byodood:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Also I swear those dragon curtains aren't mine so it's okay.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What about the catte

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The cat also unfortunately belongs to the same roommate who owns the curtains. Or maybe I should say fortunately because she is pretty rude.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

Also I swear those dragon curtains aren't mine so it's okay.

Those curtains are fantastic.

Krustster, we should compare notes on that HPB coffee stout. Furious Lobster sent me one a week ago.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
@apache, sorry to hear about the SARA glass, I'm going to look into sending you a replacement. Enjoy all those beers!

My box arrived today from Chicago... Unfortunately though I had to do some travel and won't be home until Tuesday. My gf received the box though so it'll be ready for me when I get home

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

krustster posted:

:frogsiren: A totally inappropriate box of tapes arrived today from Lt_Tofu!! I actually found myself mildly upset (in a good way) because now I have so many extreme new beers to drink and I already had so many!

It includes:
-Pizza Port Chronic
-Alpine Hoppy Birthday
-Bottle Logic Recursion
-Modern Times Mega Fortunate Islands
-Council Beatitude w/peaches & nectarines
-4 different Highland Park tapes
-Alesmith XX Reforged (BA anniversary ale!!)
-Bottle Logic German Chocolate Cake (?!) growler
And a mystery bottle hand illustrated with candy canes! Thanks a billion, and curse you for destroying my physical fitness goals!! :byodood:

Glad everything arrived safe. Enjoy!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MunchE posted:

Nth Doctor hooking a brotha up with a sweet variety pack. I haven't had most of these, but the ones I've had (Dragon's Milk, Plead the 5th) are awesome and hard to come by around these parts. Mosaic is my favorite hop so I'm looking forward to blasting that tape. Overall a cool mix and I will provide a no holds barred critique of your homebrew as a reward :guinness:

I'm glad you're happy with the selections. I got real nervous when I saw your Untappd check-in numbers, and tried to shoot for stuff you're never reviewed there, or stuff you straight up didn't get in your neck of the woods. :hfive:
I'm also happy that everything got there safely.

E: spelling

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 19, 2015

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

That box is awesome. Beatitude and those Highland Park tapes are gonna blow your mind.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChiTownEddie posted:

\o/

I've never had that RIS or the vanilla variant. It was the last bottle on the shelf, so I took a gamble, but Lickinghole (tee hee, Goochland) hasn't done wrong by me so far. I don't know if I've had this year's Terrapin either now that I realize it's Equinox. That beer is almost always good, though, despite the rotating hops.
I think BBB has a breakdown per-batch at http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-beers/exponential-series/item/635-big-bad-baptist-imperial-stout

I think we have similar feelings about Abraxas et al., so I hope the peppercorn (3 Stars is underrated imo) and gingerbread beers come across with the same balance that I find in them. GBS has been a little varied this year; my last bottle wasn't very gingerbready, but other bottles have been. I wanted to send some Right Proper but couldn't work out logistics in time. I think I lucked out, though, since I got to go by last Thursday and all of the new stuff that was on tap was not great.

sterster posted:

Glad you like. Hopefully you enjoyed the letter stickers and extra bs that was thrown in. You'll have to let me know what you think of some of them. Az has a not so diverse selection of beers so it makes it tough.

I haven't had a bad beer from AZ tbh! I really enjoyed the Refuge IPA growler last night and I'm hoping to open a few more tonight. If I can be good I'm going to save the crowler to share for a friend's bday this week. I'm really intriugued by that and the White Chocolate thing.

e: also I'm stickering all the things.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 19, 2015

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Got my box in!

Thank you so much Munch-E! I can't wait to tear into these!

What was in the box?

Bruery Grey Monday
Modern Times Fruitlands (these two I've been after for a while!)
Pizza Port Swami and Kook
Ironfire Vicious Disposition
Highland Park Pushin' Carts
Smog City Coffee Porter
Ritual Big Deluxe
El Segundo Hammerland
Kern River Just Outstanding
Noble Citra Showers

Slore Tactician fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 21, 2015

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Are the beers in the back row unrelated? If not then let's see a pic of them!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Looks like the box I sent out is due to arrive tomorrow. Tracking still says "arrival scan" in Hodgkins, IL and has since like Thursday... I've been checking the tracking constantly because the one time I didn't, something broke, but it looks like this is happening just to gently caress with me. Looked online and the consensus seems to be that as long as it still says "in transit: on time" (it does) it should be fine, sometimes they miss a scan, especially in this busy time of year, etc etc etc. This is probably the most secure box I've ever sent out (thanks to a really cool shipper I got from HatfulOfHollow) so it would be a just-my-luck type of thing. I'M FREAKIN OUT MAAAAN :froggonk:

Anyway, I figured luck was more likely to be on my side if I flipped out over what would turn out to be nothing, rather than assuming everything was okay. Or did I cancel it out by saying that??!

Also one time I sent a non-beer fedex box out and it didn't show up in tracking until it was on the guy's doorstep.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 22, 2015

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Received my box full of Colorado beer! Great package from mrcowcow with a beautiful Hello Kitty bottle to be unwrapped later. Bottles:

Casey Fruit Stand Cherry (Hedefigin Cherry)
Casey Low End

Funkwerks Peach Whiskey Tropic King
Funkwerks Raspberry Provincial

Crooked Stave Glass
CS Cerveza Sin Frontera (Sherry)
CS Cerveza Sin Frontera (Bourbon)
CS Petitie Sour Boysenberry
CS Serenata Voiturna

Odd13 Brewing Codename: Superfan 3.0
Station 26 Single Hop Chinook

Great mix of beers. I'm looking forward to opening these and the wrapped bottle soon! Cheers!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Incredible, and the glass even survived!! What's the secret to packing a glass safely among beers?

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

krustster posted:

Incredible, and the glass even survived!! What's the secret to packing a glass safely among beers?

Use a Styrofoam shipper and wrap the glass with bubble wrap.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Zam posted:

Use a Styrofoam shipper and wrap the glass with bubble wrap.

That's way too reasonable.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Fuckin' Zam...

Front to back:

Veritas 016 (this was wrapped but gently caress waiting!)
Council Mosaic Dry-Hopped Beatitude
Good Beer Co. Nectarine Oro
Rare Barrel Home Sour Home
Toolbox Citrus Gose
Barley Forge/Good Beer Co./Bottle Logic Glogg Glogg Glogg (this is going with me to NYC for NYE to drink with my bro; My family used to make "homemade" glogg every winter so this is exciting)
Modern Times City of the Sun (blasting it now; A ton of fruit in the nose and initially on taste, then bitter and dry. WEST COAST)
Modern Times Blazing World
El Segundo Mayberry IPA
El Segundo Steve Austin's Broke Skull IPA (OH HELL YEAH)
Almanac Peach de Brettaville

Yeah, so this is kinda crazy... So loving rad.

E: And a Council 10 oz snifter!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

:eyepop:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Got this from...someone in VA. Please speak up!

Mad Elf, BB Gingerbread Stout, Port City Porter, The Admiral, Ways and Means, Perpetual IPA, Vignette, Troegnator, Double Duckpin, Old Pro, Vanilla Virginia Black Bear, Blue Monday, and Resolute.

Also included was a horcrux of intoxication, aka sweet-rear end bottle opener. Very nice box, mystery friend. I really look forward to working my way though it! Haven't had any of it before, but it all sounds really delicious. I will post updates as I get through the various beers.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Eejit posted:

Got this from...someone in VA. Please speak up!

Whoops, that was me. Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think of them, especially the BJ beers and Resolute. Be careful with the horcrux, don't let it consume your soul and scatter it to the nether.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Yeah, that was kind of my response... Excited to finally try Council, Rare Barrel, and GBC.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I love that you also sent Vanilla VBB. Was that the second to last bottle???

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

ChickenArise posted:

I love that you also sent Vanilla VBB. Was that the second to last bottle???

Sadly I allowed myself to buy it from the crooks at Westover Market, and they had probably 6 or 7 bottles, big surprise. Worth it to send in the BIF though, I had it last year, thought it was pretty good.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Just got back from an 8 hour drive to open up the package that Danbanana sent, which arrived on Friday:

a lot of cool, well packaged stuff, none of which I've ever had before. I posted on my preferences that I prefer sours/saisons/IPAs and barleywines over stouts, thanks for accommodating that!

- 2 cans Surly Abrasive, 1 of which I'm enjoying right now -- good stuff
- 2014 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
- Transient Objectification
- Marz Double Jungle Boogie - gf is a tea geek so she is real excited to try this too
- New Glarus Cranbic
- Middlebrow Hey Citrus
- Transient Betise Batch 2
- Off Color/Jester King Radiolaria
- Flossmoor Barrel Aged Hi-Fi Rye (from 2012)
- Transient Pentameter batch #2

He also threw in a Transient glass and a Revolution Brewing churchkey. Super awesome.

Super stoked to try everything. Very much appreciate the box! Overwhelmed by all the awesome beer. Thanks man!

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Zam posted:

Received my box full of Colorado beer!

Glad everything made it safely. Hope you enjoy them all.

Got my box from LeafHouse today:

Plus two wrapped bottles and a wrapped glass. New Glarus R&D is BBBB and the Sucre is Rum Barrel aged. These are some crazy awesome beers. Very excited for all of these. Only one I have had before is Zombie Dust and I would never say no to more. Thanks for all the awesome beer, and for running the BIF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Kruster did an awesome thing. I'm really blown away.
As luck would have it I have only had 1 of these and that was the serendipity which I opened earlier this week. Everything looks like it's amazing. I'm pumped to try the meads too.

Where did you get your bottle shipper?

• Locked thread