Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

##vote Hal

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

also how are people finding this game? was it posted anywhere?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Someone explain the rules to me.

it's like werewolf

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

received, probably checking out for the night though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Go on?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

imgay always think I am the scummiest person around, why ask my opinion on who I think is scum based on no content? It's super fake

I mean he's obviously insincere but this is a rather serious read of imgay to take.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As in, I don't think he was trying to appear sincere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What makes opop a guy who targets kash?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Could be you, maybe MMM with the way he came in here trying to act all thoughtful but kinda not really saying anything.

I'm trying to get a read.

For the record, I don't think Kash is scummy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can confirm

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

low numbers make it hard if people aren't around at the same time.

But ok.

Kashuno, respond to the thing earlier.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know, something about how seriously you took imgay early on. scroll up to see it, there's not that many posts. Just tell me about the way you think imgay is playing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

##unvote

oh god I still had a jokevote active

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think that imgay's list isn't too good. One thing I don't really like about imgay is that he's acting like he's trying to stir up discussion but is not.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

imgay posted:

So just setup speculation, since no one saying anything. We have 1 scum and 4 town which between that town has 1 target and 1 mystery role. So I think as a town, we have to look at votes in this game extra carefully. I think a smart scum would always try to be the hammer. and a dumb scum would always tunnel that dude from the get go. idk though since no one posting

imgay posted:

Lets make a list of if they Scum and who they'd target:

imgay targets hal
kash targets imgay
hal targets imgay
mmm targets kash
opop targets kash

These two posts aren't outright contradicting, but do seem to be coming from different perspectives. The first is trying to depict the thought process of the scum with some nuance and the second post is the bluntest possible interpretation.

I'm also never a fan of somebody including themselves on a list like this, because it's a list all about external opinion, any mention of yourself is well, useless or an attempt convince people of something.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think imgay is an ok vote right now, but I feel like we could get more interaction and information out rather than making the best immediate vote. In particular I don't feel comfortable voting until I know more about opop.

This game is irritating in that you're not just trying to vote the right person, you have to be especially sure to not vote the wrong person.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I don't think imgay is a good vote at all. Someone acting more serious than usual isn't really a slam dunk scum catch

I have three comments about imgay that aren't related to him being serious. I will even put them in list format for you to read them easily.

• He's talked about trying to drum up interaction and activity but I think he's puffing himself up there
  • His posts about what scum would do don't make sense together
  • He put himself on his silly list

I think imgay is spending more energy trying to give us an impression of him rather than actual scum looking.

That said, I actually disagree with Kash about the seriousness thing. It doesn't seem like he's being too serious, especially at the time Kash was making a deal out of it. I think imgay is suspicious, but I have this nagging feeling that Kash might be targetting imgay.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

this is some high level play here

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

be the change

Perhaps this is part of the problem but I feel like I've been contributing pretty decently so far

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't really understand why I'm getting voted other than like, just because.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I don't think imgay is a good vote at all. Someone acting more serious than usual isn't really a slam dunk scum catch

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I have three comments about imgay that aren't related to him being serious. I will even put them in list format for you to read them easily.

• He's talked about trying to drum up interaction and activity but I think he's puffing himself up there
  • His posts about what scum would do don't make sense together
  • He put himself on his silly list

I think imgay is spending more energy trying to give us an impression of him rather than actual scum looking.

That said, I actually disagree with Kash about the seriousness thing. It doesn't seem like he's being too serious, especially at the time Kash was making a deal out of it. I think imgay is suspicious, but I have this nagging feeling that Kash might be targetting imgay.

Opopanax posted:

I'm thinking Trip. I don't like the case on imgay and I think he's pushing a bad one. ##vote mmm

Like here is the entire progress on his vote. His first point is about something Kashuno said, then he votes me because he doesn't like the case. Opop I think you owe me at least some kind of explanation on why my case is bad rather than just a vote.

Hal's vote is explained better but there's not much I can say about a meta read.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

MMM is different, he's constructing elaborate thoughts but they don't seem to go anywhere and he seems like he's hanging back and waiting for... something.

Yeah I'm waiting for people to read and respond to my posts.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

imgay posted:

What do you mean, stop waiting and act

I have acted though. There's not much I can accomplish by filling this thread with a bunch of my own posts if nobody is responding to them.

I'll be more specific here. I don't feel comfortable voting when Opop is completely unknown to me and barely understand the other players any better. Can I extrapolate reads based on what's in the thread right now? Yes, but I don't want to and more importantly, I don't think I have to. It's easier for me to make reads if I can feel people out by interacting with them. When we've got a thread of sporadic posting, most of it not even being responses to earlier posts, it becomes loosey goosey. I understand this is a typical D1 problem, but the nature of this game means we can't really afford a loosey goosey D1, because voting for the wrong person ends the game.

I suppose that, yeah, if nothing continues to happen I might as well just start laying hot reads but there's plenty of time until the deadline.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sure. Since you're here and willing to post, I'll jam with you imgay.

I think 're acting weird this game and I've talked about it in a few posts. Do you have a response to any of those?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Another question, one that seems sort of integral to the discussion this game. Are you putting even a little bit of seriousness in this game?

Like I know that you're not that serious about mafia in general, I'm just wondering if you're just uninvested or actively loving around.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta agree with hal, his output is fine and the signal to noise ratio isn't off either

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I mean if you want to talk about white noise posting why jump away imgay who is tv static screen come to life

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was thinking that Kash's motivation for switching could be a scum attempt to get another vote rolling after the momentum on imgay died but I'm at -1 and he could have voted me without much responsibility so I don't think that really makes sense

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Premise: scum could probably hammer me out without culpability

Conclusion: The scum is already voting me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I feel like d1 is mostly useless this game. d2 is going to be the meat of this game for sure.

I think the opposite in that I think this is the game d1 is most important. With so few players you don't have much wiggle room and the first vote can decide the game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Premise: scum could probably hammer me out without culpability

Conclusion: The scum is already voting me.

This would make scum Opop or Hal. Tough choice between the two. I think hal's been doing fine so far and doesn't seem obviously scummy. That doesn't rule him out though, he's a sneak and has had a strong hand in the narrative.

Meanwhile Opop has done nothing much and sort of appears scummy by default. I start feeling like surely if opop were scum he wouldn't be so lazy. But he could be.

Picking between the two I'd go for Opop, with the bonus that if Hal is scum his target clearly wouldn't be opop. Gotta think about this though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I don't really agree with this line of thinking. Scum, by hammering you early, draw large amounts of suspicion to themselves and make it difficult d2.

I don't think that's necessarily true, but I realize I'm drawing myself into a bit of logic hole where I'm saying scum wouldn't fall under suspicions for hammering, while also openly taking suspicions off people who could have hammered but didn't. It's all a wash and I reinvented the WIFOM wheel

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

These two statements don't really jive imo

In the first I'm saying it can decide the game because you can vote out the scum or the scum target and finish the game. I don't think that's incongruous with the second post, although I agree the second post doesn't really work.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm basically ignoring imgay at this point but this could be interesting if it goes somewhere

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress off opop

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

although also good work on being correct.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I've always felt that Hal is a very underrated player and thought he did a really good job in this game. Seriously he is one of the best.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I honestly wasn't going to vote MMM at all until those two posts bothered me.

Whatever works, I thought those two posts worked together, but the fact I was so concerned with that should have been a tip off as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

yeah idk this was just an extraordinarily frustrating game for me. Between imgay just loving around and not playing to his wincon and opop not posting anything but "mmm is scum" 2 times, it didn't feel like there was really anything I could do. Hal and Kash played well, but even then it wasn't very active and there's only so much that can happen with two players, one of which has already locked in on me.

• Locked thread