Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
It's amazing and thank you for keeping it going. I hope our anti-hero can get some medical attention before he bleeds out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah this is good keep writing plz

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

This is loving excellent!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
ReelBigLizard, when you aren't writing the story, are you sketching out ideas for the plot? Are you still flying by the seat of your pants and just writing what is coming to you? I'm just curious about your process. It seems like you're still having fun with the story right now.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
This is wonderful - please keep it up!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Seat of the pants mostly. My process for writing stuff is to come up with three or four cool scenes, then just try to figure out how the characters are going to get dragged into them. This works well when writing for things like tabletop RPG, especially when you have a group of players like I do, who will do everything they can to go off-script. This is the first time I've tried to use this method for writing something longer though, and I think it's working pretty well so far. I'm definitely considering trying to make it to novel length, I'm a fifth of the way there already. It would probably get a re-write for consistency and cohesiveness in that case.

Thanks for the comments guys. It's really encouraging. I wish I could spend more time writing it but I've got a fuckload of things going on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's cool, man - whenever you have the time.
Don't push it so much you start to hate or resent it or something.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
^^^What that guy said.

I wouldn't say the story is disjointed, but I was curious how you were handling things. It seems like maybe you're going somewhere with it, but I'm mostly just curious.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Take your time, you can't rush greatness! Bookmarks make it show up whenever there are updates, so just make it good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The scenery jumps a little but it's clear you're having fun writing it and that makes reading it enjoyable. Things that are fun to write are often fun to read :)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Necro'd from catching up on the Terrible Car Stuff thread. 5'd, sub'd. This is that Good poo poo.

This is what I thought of for a soundtrack as soon as I started reading it, surprised no one linked it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSHg-SJXR8

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I’m relieved when I don’t throw up any blood. I try not to look at the dead shooter as I step over the body in the doorway, tracking bloody footprints through the diner. The CS spray is still in the air and I have to shield my face as I make my way to Lizzy. She’s getting up from behind the counter coughing in the acrid air. I try to put myself between her and the two dead attackers but it’s too late. Her panicked gaze wanders from the woman to the bloody mess in the doorway and she starts to hyperventilate, sucking in more CS, making it worse.

“Lizzy, look at me.” I’m trying to speak in a reassuring tone.
“Wh- What happened, to...” She’s looking around the diner now, at the destruction.
“There was a fight Lizzy, you got knocked out. It’s over now. You’re OK.”
“I can’t breathe!” She’s panicking. ”What’s wrong with me?”
“CS Gas, pepper spray.” I say, guiding her towards the kitchen. “Let’s go out the back.”

I don't consider myself a killer, but these two are far from the first, especially if you take into account the ones who died as a result of a few key presses on a military field terminal. The first time I had to kill a man was just a few months into my first deployment. We were operating a lightweight forward operating base from a compound at Al Mnajeer, providing Electronic Warfare support to local units. I had woken up at the sound of someone cutting into our tent with a box cutter. Hands shaking, I’d picked up the service rifle from beside my bed.

Putting a burst into the dark figure as he leaned through the slit, his battered AKSU carbine in hand, the muzzle flash lit him up like a strobe in a nightclub. At that moment the compound had erupted in screams and gunfire. We ran out into the night, half dressed, to fight off the attack. We lost 3, but we weren't the only ones hit that night.

Of the multiple bases and field units that were hit, the unifying factor was a sudden, unexplained malfunction of the sentries' night vision equipment. It was the first of many operations orchestrated by a new technologically advanced terror collective calling themselves The New Caliphate. They had obtained or developed an exploit affecting a digital image intensifier component common to the majority of our night vision equipment. There was a vulnerability in a part of the system used to visually identify friendly soldiers and vehicles. A carefully crafted series of pulses in infrared could crash the image processor, leaving the goggles inoperative until the batteries were removed for a hard reset.

We would later recover some of the devices used to blind us that night, less than $20 worth of Chinese electronics junk; Namely an IR lamp intended for household security and a dirt-cheap hobby micro-controller, smaller than a saltine cracker. It took months to discover the nature of the vulnerability and then to recall and patch the devices. In that time de-mothballed 4th Generation night vision gear became worth it's weight in gold.

Later on I found out; The kid was two years younger than me, from a quiet town just 40 miles from my childhood home in Aberdeenshire. He had run away from home to join the war after being radicalised by his older cousins. I was grateful that I never had to see the body.

======================

Thanks again for the kind words, sorry it's just a little nugget. It's been a busy few weeks. I'm considering talking to a buddy of mine who is a comic artist and illustrator, wondering if the story would work as a small graphic series.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks again for the kind words, sorry it's just a little nugget. It's been a busy few weeks. I'm considering talking to a buddy of mine who is a comic artist and illustrator, wondering if the story would work as a small graphic series.

A resounding gently caress yes - it's how I've been reading it in my head.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Keep this poo poo up, it's amazing. You have gold, here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

extreme_accordion posted:

A resounding gently caress yes - it's how I've been reading it in my head.

Yeah. I could definitely see this working in that medium.

Good story man, looking forward to more!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's your story, so you can make the call on how best to present it, but I'd say keep it as writing. You provide a ton of detail that lends itself to the imagination. The RRC will never look as sinister commited to paper as it already does in my mind. A lot of the satisfying richness of the world would be hard to translate into the visual medium.
That said, if you have a definite end or checkpoint in mind for the current plot, it could definitely be compressed into a 100pg comic.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rC-495Z_A

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Christ, I just found this. Ace stuff!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
I would really be disappointed if this hits archive status, so I'm going to bump it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I like that soundtrack.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

wallaka posted:

I like that soundtrack.

get your chillstep on, son https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NHV4nJLQc

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wallaka posted:

I like that soundtrack.
go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vaporwave/

Simpsons is the latest Vaporwave meta.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bandwagon: here, this is good.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
For whatever reason I found myself reading a 'hack' recap on pastebin and thought of this story.
http://pastebin.com/raw/0SNSvyjJ

If that isn't good fodder I'm not sure what is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
This poo poo is amazing. Really hope you plan on dropping some more.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This rocks.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I turn south towards ‘home’. It’s a light industrial unit on the outskirts that was condemned by the city a few years ago. I’m already getting prepped to move on, it’s scheduled for redevelopment into housing early next year.

I'm a bit unclear where this scene fits though; it's after he gets the package but before the highway chase, yet the end of the previous posts seems like it leads directly into the chase with no room for a breather. Just an oversight?

Anyway great job so far, looking forward to living this out irl after you and I get drafted into the Grand European Army to fight off the technomuslims.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
^^^ I'm pretty sure that scene is after the chase. He has to torch it because he's been compromised.

Just found this while reading backlogged terrible car stuff. This owns, I hope ReelBigLizard continues it.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Every time I see a new post in this thread I get excited. Thanks for teasing me.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
5'd and subscribed! This is lovely and I'm glad it's getting linked around CA.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Made me think of this thread:
http://jalopnik.com/how-this-obscure-anime-predicted-so-much-about-the-futu-1780951876

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That anime kicked rear end to teenage me, and you are totally right; it's what made me love this thread in the first place.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i still need this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

atomicthumbs posted:

i still need this

:same:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
You got my hopes up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ditto, now there's four new posts and people are going to get so worked up.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
5 people wanting updates, people seeing thread will get their hopes up just that much more!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
6!

LOL.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Can we just lock this thread and let it die already? It's pretty clear the OP isn't going to finish his story (please come back :() and every time it gets resurrected I get my hopes up.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
RBL is very busy escaping my burning wreck of a country and I'd rather he get that on lockdown while he can so that he can be alive to write more cyberwank in the future instead of having to come back here and become an active participant in the norsefire hellscape we're careening towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

RBL is very busy escaping my burning wreck of a country and I'd rather he get that on lockdown while he can so that he can be alive to write more cyberwank in the future instead of having to come back here and become an active participant in the norsefire hellscape we're careening towards.

Thank you for that, I don't think many of us knew anything about that. Pass on our best wishes if you talk to him anytime soon.

• Locked thread