Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=275&l=bdf0361094ebbc47642cd318ddcec08fea4872b9

I made an urbanmech. This is my elite tier 1 machine of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I give this "doesn't have an AC20" out of 10.

That's why I gave it 3 ERPPCs to make up for not having an AC20

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

So while the sale is still ongoing, I've made a funny boar's head atlas that brawls and moves like a heavy, and has poking power for long skirmishes. When I don't get utterly focused down I've been hitting 4+ kills and 800+ damage regularly. In the games I get focused down it's generally one kill and 500+ damage.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=103&l=fddee2bf0fdee1569c1c8c386f4c029ed471289c

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

As a locust I outsurvived the rest of the team because I was out turning him and he couldn't center on me, but the moment I stopped circling he blew my face up. :v:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I'm trying to make the awesome a good mech and may have made a few potential breakthroughs involving spamming the poo poo out of large pulse lasers. The big challenge is getting that particular variant to elite so I can use it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Maybe if you fuckers ever played the blackjack 3 you would know it is a ridiculous retardedly good jumpsniper/corner peaker that can shoot two PPCs indefinitely.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I've learned a few things about LRMs-

Only use specifically LRM quirked mechs with them. Reduced cooldowns, spread, and heat make them on par with brawlier weapons when you bring them into a fight. If I can maintain the 180m distance then I am able to poo poo on people with the awesome-8R.

Take a tag on the highest point on your mech, because LRMs are an indirect fire weapon. With all of my low firing points beneath a ledge on the awesome I can shoot the tag over a slight ridge and expose myself even less than my hill humping blackjacks would while doing the same thing. Tags also allow you to get mechs covered in ECM bubbles and will allow your less responsible "HOLD LOCKS 4 RAIN" LRM pugs to join you on the choice targets you're picking. They see that hashtag on the enemy mech and they poo poo on it. If you have a streak SRM buddy who is actively fighting, don't be afraid to tag enemies for him so that he can get a quicker shot off.

Firing from beyond 400m is retarded unless the enemy mech is slow, tall, and/or in the open. The missile spread at those distances is also huge, and will ultimately reduce the useful damage that you do to the enemy. At 400m and with clear line of sight you will sandpaper them to death. If you can maintain 200m with clear line of sight you will crush through people's cores and if you have enough missiles launching they will be unable to fight back due to fire/screen shake.

Either go all in with LRMs or don't take them at all, but DO have some backup weapons available. Even if it's just a pair of small lasers, you need something to at least keep a small psychological edge on lights that are attacking you, but otherwise drop other weapon tonnage for artemis + ammo + launchers appropriate to your chassis. Your stinger weapons are the difference between a light doing a full stop and standing there shooting you, versus them continuing to go 150kph, missing half their shots, and running into a wall where they have no line of sight on you while you run away making GBS threads your pants.

If your team decides to fight in a city, don't be afraid to run in with them. Even if you can't land good hits you CAN scare people into cover by spitting a single launch of missiles at them to force them into cover. Herding people with LRMs is definitely a thing, just scrape their paint with a few missiles. If they realize that they are in good cover then they will stop hiding and fight from that cover, so don't continue to shoot missiles into buildings.

If your team is in a ramming range brawl, shooting into it CAN kill your teammates. When I first started using LRMs I netted at least one team kill per match. :v: Be careful where you're shooting, and tell your teammates if you're shooting a target they're brawling with so that your don't scoop out their butt meat from 500m.

Be as fast as you can be. Positioning is stupidly important for LRM boats offensively and defensively, as is the ability to stay with your group. Take a max sized XL engine. You are a free kill for any harassing lights or mediums if you are left alone.

I've been getting pretty regular 600+ damage games by being really aggressive and mostly following the above stuff. If you aren't ending games with an open core, 0 ammunition, and at least 500 damage then you're doing your team a disservice as an LRM boat. If you're the last man standing then you played wrong, because you should be sacrificing yourself to keep your brawlers and other fighters alive if it comes down to the wire like that.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 13, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

:agreed:

No one gives me poo poo for my six MG Arrow!

Don't you talk poo poo about the six MG arrow. That thing tears poo poo up and is an objectively good brawler.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I use my superhuman reflexes for killing my teammates.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

SRM 2s without artemis and 2 lbx 10s are the best things to mount on an atlas according to my calculations.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Entirely false. For you to get 500 in a pirates bane, it means your whole team died and you lived a magical fairy existence.

It is perfectly reasonable to be able to get 500 damage in a PB in a normal game that isn't a face roll. You just have to pick your shots well and go after isolated or distracted heavy targets.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Trip report for the GOOD PURCHAS pirates bane build:

I did 90 damage while chasing SRM6 storm crows around and cutting off all their limbs.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Don't you shame the firestarter for finding its true love.

Those loading cranes have actuators for days.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

:supaburn: WHO IS READY FOR THE FLAMER APOCALYPSE!? :supaburn:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sputty posted:

then it hurts getting close at all.

Unless you have flamers :getin:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

THE GARGOYLE IS REALLY GOOD NOW.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

THE GARGOYLE IS REALLY GOOD NOW.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If you set it to a 10 increment and then had it fire off on two fire groups that aren't occupied it would stagger it FLAME, none, none, FLAME, none, none to get that 1:2 ratio.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

When do we get the imp?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The one thing PPCs have is a lack of burn time, so its poptarting, corner humping, and twisting is what makes them good against stuff with high burn times like clan er lasers

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Scariest medium blob we did was fast centurions up front, ECM SRM griffins right behind them, and blackjacks bringing up the rear on cleanup duty.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gonna be running nonartemis srm2s without fire control and will see how far it goes

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Was unironically doing this with a commando 2d the other day to try and tank my PSR. I failed because it turns out they're crazy accurate and fire fast.

Yeah I was running a trebuchet with 2 srm2, 2mgs, and 2 lpls and it tore poo poo up. They also generate poo poo all for heat so boating 9 of them will be the great experiment. I want to try mashing a big std engine into it, depending on how easy it Is to hit ct.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Talmonis posted:

My newest hatred are the proliferation of Jenner II-C's. It seemed like every match last night had a wolfpack of 3 of the fuckers just appearing on the flank under ECM from a Cheetah and chewing their way inward through the battle line with SRM's & Small pulses. I want them to all to die. Tell me how I can make them all die, barring Streak-Crows.

Run an awesome 8t with 4 lpl, xl 295, endo skeleton, and fill that bitch with std heat sinks. Aim for light legs with your arm lasers and you will cripple them in a 450m bubble around your assaults

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Personally I purposely sabotage any attempts at a goon group victory. The secret is minimizing your tonnage to effectiveness ratio. No armor atlas with minimum xl engine and one small laser is my optimal build for these purposes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

NatasDog posted:

So something like this then? JR7-IIC

Feels light on Ammo and Armor, but I suppose if you make every shot count and don't stand still for any reason whatsoever neither of those considerations really matter.

E; Like this one better, JR7-IIC. It'll mean I have to trade some top speed and get an XL300 to make it work, but 2 more tons of ammo and an extra half ton of armor is kind of worth it in my eyes.

This is what I run: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=362&l=1f849c9097f0298281156e765c991f0bff8d4add

The thing with the speed is that you match speed with cheetahs, and if you run with one then you guys will rape and pillage everything that moves because he can get you in under ECM coverage. You also don't end up sacrificing ammo or armor with this.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

That's the AC40 Jäger build in a nutshell. The moment you're noticed by a competent team you are a priority, you have limited ammo, limited speed, bugger all armour and a big wide ct that no one can miss.

If you want to go even further do it on a BJ1 or a BJA. You can only fit three tons of ammo, but that's okay because you have 1 armor on all your slots and are running an XL engine. The tactic is you hit O and then run in and ignore ghost heat on the AC20s. This should be the common experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlSuGNt8e4

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Hill humping and corner poking are two things that the urbanmech is really, really terrifyingly good at. With its torso twist you can reverse around a corner, fire, and then retreat to safety by going forward. The only thing that can bring it close to par with its contemporary small mechs is abusing that 360 degree torso twist and its great hardpoints that are high and on the outside of the mech.

You can also do stupid little maneuvers like jumping straight at someone, going over them, and then firing into their backs OR just land on top of them and fire straight down. You have to abuse jump jets in the urbanmech to get your mobility because you don't have the raw speed to keep you alive.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Luckily I have two successful builds so far that only have one gun on them! They will shine when they are tearing off faces and everyone else has to fire their small lasers one at a time.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I'm looking forward to the highlander IIC coming out for cbills because I'm going to be able to fill it with 41 standard heat sinks and have super spammable clan large pulse lasers.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I have tested this with a 43 heat sink king crab and it means you get to spam LPLs into people's faces until they would rather turn around and run away instead of face tanking it and trying to deal as much damage as they can before dying.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Here I will share my ~amazing field tested builds~ for all of goonkind.

This is my laser brawling gargoyle. You can get two to three full salvos off for 66 damage each before you need to take a few seconds to cool down.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=236&l=dc73ae64cc2aaa2c8417c7600ed7e748439ef886

This is my PPC gargoyle that I've been playing today. With the range/cooldown modules you can just sit at really long ranges picking people apart. Whenever they start getting too close and you haven't damaged them enough to kill them, you withdraw a little bit away from the line. If they close on you it's time to hit O and try to kill them before you blow yourself up.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=236&l=4c1bd182a0f2ebc5c4c8eb0f67179b951c3a939a

Here is the LPL locust. The big focus for this one is either being a squirrel or stealing kills of opportunity. The starting move for this locust is to immediately cross the map at the start and start shooting assaults in the rear end. If they send lights after you just run around taking pot shots at them and maintain your distance, and when the fight is really getting hot try to kill any mechs that are rotated to the rear with internals showing.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=106&l=0efb9d443bb25c30386e75b2efa7722b222dd735

This is my boar's head build. The whole point of it is to smash as many double heatsinks into it as possible. You use your high mobility to get in, shoot someone to pieces, and then withdraw to cool down for a few seconds. If your team pushes you push with them, but in the poke and peek phase you just stick to a corner and abuse people with your arms since they are far to the sides of the atlas.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=103&l=56bd78f4e8df2d1963036d6f219a37e258dcea39

Here is king crab. Shoot the lasers at the things. They are the highest mounted points on your mech, so abuse that fact.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=b5134d6d587a13f19057837cbb0586e4e0dce0d1

These are just some of my builds, but are generally the more successful ones.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

ElPez posted:

I used to do something similar with an ECM Raven with ER LL. Pure mischief. Worked ok on big maps -- get far behind the enemy and rake the whole team to get their attention. I could usually get enemies to split up or backtrack so they'd be vulnerable to a frontal assault by my team, or at least draw a lot more fire than I was worth. One downside is that you don't do a lot of damage, so you don't get much cred for it either. Also less successful against well-organized teams.

The problem with the raven is that it has an ungodly burn time. The locust is made for killing and your poking turns into murder if they don't turn to deal with you. I've never been killed or significantly damaged by an ERLL raven and just generally ignore them when they're plinking at me.

Kill all assaults with your magical locust powers. (These were presumably tier 1/2 players that I was murdering, the locust is good.)

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I started playing in tier 3 and I've been playing in tier 1 since half way through February.

The locust 1v has accel/decel quirks that make it quick enough that you can butt hug an assault and if no one comes to save them there is no way to get you off. The only thing they can do is put their rear end to a wall and wait until help arrives. If this happens, you have accomplished your goal in holding up 5x your tonnage and preventing it from getting to the fight.

Pattonesque posted:

that is my favorite Locust

for reference here are the relevant quirks, y'all

ENERGY COOLDOWN: 50.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: 10.00 %
LASER DURATION: -50.00 %

it basically turns that single LPL into like ... three LPLs worth of DPS, with the added bonus of a duration of about a third of a second. you will also basically never overheat.

highly recommended.

This build overheats like a motherfucker even though it has a 2.2/2 heat efficiency or something hilarious like that. It also dissipates heat really badly because it is running only 10 heat sinks. I don't think the heating efficiency thing includes the effect of quirks on heat accumulation.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

Unrelated, Commoners suggested that I mash up some mechs. So I present the Urban Atlas.

This is my ideal mech.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNo3zmhXE9Y

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=236&l=80a890e40a6482c4ee9e069b4337b8db131eb4ea

Commoners fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 12, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

9 NARC!?

9 NARC!!!!!!

:byodood:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

All SRM6 archer has an alpha strike of 116.5. It is a very funny, slow, and fragile mech.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

lol conquest change is 100% retarded, new map mode is hilariously poorly thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I have bought the summoner.

• Locked thread