Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

I'm probably gonna come out of retirement briefly for the steam release as the potential for comedy is high.

drat wish I didnt have a high a PSR now. Playing on teir 4 would be a massacre

yeah if you've not played in a while you should hit the pubdrop queues, your psr will be low and the influx of steam users should be hilarious fun

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

liquidfire posted:

Two days ago I was renamed from upinya to MechWarrior0424161 without any notification from PGI. Not even a courtesy "what are you up to buster brown" email or private message in game. A fellow PUGS unit member who had the same thing happen a month ago was instructed to email in a list of three name changes and PGI would be kind enough to pick out one of the three. I love the new name but I suppose I should come up with a list to send in.

1) ggclose

2) russlied

3) MechWarrior420noscope

had the same thing happen to me. my 4 suggestions:

DontKissMyCloaca
UnkissableCloaca
KissMyINAPPROPRIATE
KissMyBirdPatootie

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
good to see all the bitter vets back

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

post other excellent games with positive steam reviews here so that i can play them

we get it buddy, you got opinions.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

The SRM6 is the best gun in the game, currently. Matches swing on who brings them to bear quickest and most efficiently.

i will say it again, a timberwolf S with 4 ASRM6 and 4 spl is a loving beast

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

New thread new opportunities! Have they added an option to (permanently, not from holding down a button) lock the camera to the arm aim cursor rather than to the chest aim cursor yet? I bought a founder's pack but have yet to play the game more than 2-3 days in a row. MWO and SOTS2 cured me from pre-orders.

so... you want you torso locked with the legs? sounds dumb. you'd need individual keys to turn your torso and legs. thats dumb

3rd edit: i mean, there is an option as well as a bindable toggle key for locking the arms to the torso reticle, if that is what you mean

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 7, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

No I'd like the torso to follow the arm cursor at its own speed like normal but I want the camera to centre on the arm cursor rather than on the torso aim point.

man that sounds like the way mwo normally aims with arm lock off

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 7, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

Here's what I think he means:

Currently the camera always follows the torso aiming reticle. What he wants is for the camera to follow the arm reticle. Maybe he wants to play MWO with a VR headset? That's the only way that change makes any sense to me.

he wants to play like an elite player, blasting one mech with his arm weapons and another with his torso

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Remember when Transverse failed and they drew up a quick design document for Community Warfare and it was obvious they had done zero work on it up until that point? Even though had been saying for two years they were working really hard on it? So basically they just lied to people for two years?

Man that was funny.

yeah its in the OP

:chillpill:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry didn't read OP.

Just reminiscing about some of the wacky funny times with PGI! Don't know why you think I need to chill...

because you post the same crap every 2 pages. the chill pill is ritalin

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Still haven't got any solid answers for the IIC mechs, will their hardpoints be swappable? Are the engines swappable?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is the mwo section of goonrathi very active? I never registered there

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

WebDO posted:

It's as active as the game is good

Robot envy

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

KyloWinter posted:

quirks are a pain in the rear end to figure out

reading is most def hard

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks! I wish the Mechlab UI components didn't look so minuscule running at a normal resolution. :v:

Thank the stars you've not played UI 1, or 2.0 which was objectively worse. 2.1 is ok but still sometimes wonky.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Haven't played in a bit, but the Centurion with 2MLs and 3(?)SRM6 (all in the chest) was the go-to Medium mech during beta, cause it was incredibly effective for its tonnage - it could skirmish almost as good as a light mech, while packing a nice punch and being excellent at staying alive with its giant arm-shields and shoulderpads.

eh it is ok maybe, have to see the quirks. for srm medium brawling i would go with a stormcrow for clan or griffins for IS.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
That jenner is awful. jenners f's are xl350's with 6 lasers probably the best jenner that isnt an oxide

but if you want an IS light get a 5 MPL firestarter s, probably a better robot

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What's the best and cheapest mech to pick if I want to just take as many dumbfire SRMs as possible and treat them like a giant shotgun? :v:

commando

but serious answer, maybe the griffin that has the ECM?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Projectile speed was increased, they tightened up the spread as well. Ghost heat limit was increased by one.

Also a few mechs got structure bonuses (namely atlas) that makes them very durable.

I've ran my Atlas S into a few firing lines and it held up real well (so long as your mechbros are behind ya)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you are new to clans here are a few things you should know:

The only consistent difference among clan mechs is the center torso. That is it. The quirks and hardpoints of the center torso are locked to that variant, all other arm/torso/leg/head ominpods with their hardpoints/quirks can be switched or purchased with other variants after you buy one. The quirks are a little harder to get down to, but when in the mechlab if you go to the ominpods tab and mouse over the different pods it will show you their quirks.

If you are cash poor I'd go for the layout that gives you the best ominpods from the getgo. I'm unsure how the shadowcats are as I've never ran em, but I see a lot of jumpjetting twin PPC builds, or LPL's, or some mix of lasers and SRMS's.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
as a long time direwolf player.... they aren't as great as the used to be.

too slow and fragile. you want to blow poo poo up get an atlas s. if you want to rock autocanns get a banshee 3E

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bait and Swatch posted:

Heard this game might be fun again. Can someone PM me the mumble info?

i was going to be snarky and pm you a link to the op but the info isnt in there apparently, probably should be.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
hunchback iic trip report

max engine, 2x UAC10, 5 tons of ammo is fun. not super optimal but fun

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

IIC trip report:

UAC/10-ML Hunchback is decent

4SRM6-A Hunchback is terrifying

Laservomit Hunchback is p. good with 2 LPL and 2 ML -- might could be better with 4 ERLL

Small pulse Jenner is very good but squishy

what engine and how much ammo are you packing on uac10 the hunchie? I am using max engine with 5 tons of ammo, dunno if I wanna kick it down to a 250 or 225, even with max engine the turn/twist speed feels sluggish

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think they set it up this way intentionally, knowing that there would be an influx of new unskilled players. So all the regular players shot up to tier 1 and 2, keeping them from squaring off against the 4 and 5's. probably will be an adjustment after a while to bring middling players like me back down to 3

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Number19 posted:

I suggest having another name ready since there's no way this one will survive for long.

Not that I'm going to report it or anything but it's going to happen

and once they change it you'll never get a new one.

No matter how many snarky emails you send with acceptable names in it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CISscum posted:

Is Mech XP functionally worthless? I have maxed basic skills and 100k XP on Direwolf-Prime. Don't see how I can spend it without buying 2 more DWF variants (lol 35M C-Bills).
Also, what is the best use of MC? Is XP to GXP conversion worth it?

you need the other 2 variants to get it elited. the grind is real.

Most people use MC for mechbays, or IS hero mechs. Its drat expensive though to buy mechs with MC so only use it for that

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ice Fist posted:

Playing with goons last night was loving hilarious and we were really bad, but I still had fun. Would do it again.

Once you get up past 6 players on a team the tonnage restrictions really hurt. I dislike playing in those large groups.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

frest posted:

Oh wow this free Centurion is a pile of garbage. Std 200, AC/20 and Lrms.

xl 255 engine, ac20, 3 srm4

edit: maybe a 245 I forget

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I always get the impression that was introduced BEFORE clan mechs hit the game... with omni-modules this literally makes no sense at all.

pretty much, though the new IIC clan mechs are not omnimechs.

the latest skill nerf is meant to counteract this somewhat, having an unskilled mechs isnt as bad as it once was

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the matter "at hand" (it will still be several days until i can afford a dire wolf), will this thing be able to alpha 8x large lasers + 14 clan double heatsinks without melting?

Also pay close attention to the omnipods you are using, direwolves get lovely laser heat generating quirks for some of their omnipods, meant to nerf laser boating. The only way to check them is to view a mech in the mechbay, and mouse over the different omnipods as though you are going to switch it out. The DFW-Prime arms are the worst offenders, at 7.5% more heat generated per arm so 15 for both. the torsos with jumpjets (A or S i forget which) and 2x energy hardpoints also get a less severe nerf, though the utility of JJ's are worth taking one torso, I really miss them when I run a dakkawolf

Also if you are in the market for a direwolf buy the DFW-W direwolf first, it gets two penalty free energy slots in the CT making it the best choice

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Melchior posted:

I've been working on mastery for the Direwolf and my prime (4x Pulse LL, 2x UAC/5, etc etc) runs way hotter than the 4x UAC2, 1xLB10X variant. Not a huge deal but for the time being I'm keeping the set straight for the XP bonus on them. Once I'm mastered though, no real reason.

i have a prime, but really you shouldnt buy them now that the jj variant exists. there are two variants that get laser points in the ct, and another that gets a jj. Its easy to see the prime and think omg wow 8 energy points and 2 ballistics in the arms alone, but its a sham!

also not to build shame, but man, give the metamechs direwolf w a try, hands down my fave dfw build

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
another bad thing about the K2's that was changed from ye olde days of yore is your torso pitch angle was reduced, cant hit people high up slopes

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
All i want for mwo christmas is a new username :(

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You will forever be MechWarrior86889 or whatever it was. You should change your SA name and legal name to reflect this.

just got an email confirming the change. oh lord wish i was a little more serious about it

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

What did you end up with?

Aspergatory

guess it's not that bad

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

RIP Weedgoku Bonerhitler, some loser reported me. Probably someone I shot.

It was only a matter of time, you SS13 nerd

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

Speaking of Crabs is there a better setup I should be using on mine?

This seems to do some good damage but I want to know how sub-optimal it is.

I'd move a lot of that back armor to the front. I usually only keep 12 or less in the back center, and 8 or less in the sides.

Though that is in group play, if your uncoordinated pub dropping it may be a good idea to keep your own rear end covered.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
:shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Wait, what? I thought those 3 were +30%Cbill bonus...that was a significant part of my decision (get Cbill bonus, buy more mechs with Cbills). gently caress XP bonus.

nope. cbill mechs are inner sphere hero mechs, or any of a handful of gift mechs PGI has given for purchasing packs, or special variants acquired by purchasing mech packs

i think getting the IIC jenner pack for $20 gets you an ok moneymaker, the jenner IIC(0) mounts 6 srm launchers. kick the engine down to a 295, put on 4 srm 4's, and 2 srm2's and run around like an rear end in a top hat and drop hot loads on the backs of fatties.

The arctic cheeta pack is $30 for some reason, ommi mechs I guess, but there is only one true build you'd use across all of em, not really worth it if they are around 7 mil each to buy, I think the jenner II's are much more fun right now

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread