Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
have your fun with MWO now, before it starts drinking and gets that look in its eye again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Well if you hold freelook then the camera follows the arms, but that also locks the torso in place. Having the camera follow the arms and also twist the torso to follow sounds interesting but it also sounds like it would induce :barf:

Sard
May 11, 2012

I'm having fun in the Catapult again, missiles may be justifiably frowned upon by the hitscan laser elite but boy howdy is it amusing to know you're ruining someone elses fun with chainfired barrages. I have not looked far into the armor perk changes but are they overall buffs? Because these ear-arms feel a lot sturdier now.

Also just punching the daylights out of them with SRMs.
e: Thank goodness that mental illness passed in one evening.

Sard fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you consider drive by "game is bad" posts as "irrationally angry"?

You've driven by over a dozen times now, I dunno man.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Need to do one more Catapult, was just gonna go gimmick ballistics with a K2 but since SRMs are in, does this look like a good idea?
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=24&l=b813d27880d87823afa7630a4f8f8c9ff67ed974

Sard
May 11, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

someone made a comic guide to group MWO tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573089143

p. cool actually

This is excellent and should be distributed on pamphlets.

What's a good target to aim for on SRM ammo capacity? I was running around with 7 tons of ammo for 4xSRM6+A and a pair of medium lasers or small pulses, but I feel like removing 2 tons to fit a pair of medium pulses and make the Catapult arms less likely to be ammo racked could be a good idea. I tried it for one round and pulled out four kills, but that's as likely to be from bad new players as anything else.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Nurge posted:

e: I was also happy to see map voting in the game, till I realized that for some horrifying reason tons of people vote for Alpine whenever it is available. I don't understand that at all.

Players will whine endlessly in chat about hot maps being a chore because they can't fire as much, and then go to the forums to say they want kills to take longer before going back to only playing on cold maps. Do not seek to understand, ever.

Okay so I'm gonna try this again. I've been leaving my medium 'mech comfort zone to get into heavies, mostly through the Catapult so far. I picked up the Jester during the sale (with ancient founders pack MC) and then the CPLT-A1 and CPLT-C4. At first I ran them with XL engines, but after getting used to the idea of rolling around with the weight of a standard engine in my Crab, I tried it with these and I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not. When I run XL, I get shot in the sides. The matches I've run with a STD, I've taken comically more CT damage than ST, but it has saved my butt a couple times. I don't feel as competent in heavies as I do in mediums like the Griffin, Crab, and Trebuchet, so I'm not really sure how to correctly evaluate my results with some of these builds- whether changes made were good, or if I just fought pubbies worse than myself. Any advice for which of these to go with or changes to make?

CPLT-J 3xLPL 2xML 2xJJ XL325
CPLT-J 4xLL 2xSL 2xJJ XL325
CPLT-J 6xMPL 2xJJ BAP STD300

CPLT-C4 4xSRM4+A 2xML 4xJJ STD275
CPLT-C4 4xSRM6+A 2xML 4xJJ XL300

I could fit a STD295 at the cost of a heatsink on the STD275 version, but that would mean dicking around taking ferro-fibrous on and off for different builds. Otherwise I'm not sure if I should use SPL instead of ML for the last-ditch guns, or carry more or less ammo. As far as flavor goes I really like jumpjets so I probably unwisely pack as many as I can, but it's nice to abuse terrain.

Sard
May 11, 2012

armchairyoda posted:

They are fun to drive.
This is all that should matter and

armchairyoda posted:

Still bad robots tho
this is what makes a fun robot the best fun robot because you can get kills with anything so you should aim to humiliate.

Sard
May 11, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I think it makes LRMs lock faster or something, but who cares aabout LRMs

Lock faster and tightens the cluster, which stacked with a TAG can actually get most of the hits right onto the CT. However you will never meet a pubby who packs LRMs on a mech that can keep up with the fight, let alone fight people with direct line of sight and use their own TAG.

After the Legend-Killer, this Tempest paint looks so boring. And as good as the art is otherwise, there's no way it's going to keep that cool look when the arms get locked into the standard pose in-game. :sigh:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Is there a trick to dealing with LRMs? Every match today I've gone down in a hellfire of missiles because I just can't deal with them at all for the life of me.

For the easiest defense, use general XP to get the module that causes you to disappear from enemy sensors the moment you break line-of-sight, and use anything at all to break their lock in this way. Move a little further because the missiles will fall where you were last targeted. Otherwise, don't worry about them too much and just get within 180 meters of the launcher, because 99% of LRM users don't know how to get any good results from them and even then there are plenty of hard counters around the map for stymieing them. The only time LRM damage will be a credible threat is when it's being fired by someone who has direct vision on you and is probably within 750 meters, so just shoot them? Unless you're in a catcher's mitt like the King Crab you should handily outdamage them one on one.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

You could do this in MW:LL. If your mech/vehicle got shot up, you could try to limp home and salvage it, or jump out in elemental armor and sneak around to attach demolition charges to enemies as they went by.

:911:

I once landed on an enemy Hollander, slowly burned through the cockpit to pulp the pilot, then hijacked the mech and used it to immediately :commissar: a second Hollander further ahead.

Then used the spent mech to trap a tank by landing on it with jumpjets. MWLL was :getin: as gently caress.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

Not really. Use a mechlab program or website, make something vaguely workable, then go use it. Unless you are dead-set on being another insufferable statlord for this thread (or) in tier 1 and somehow only ever facing other high-effort tier 1 players, you'll be able to find enough success to have fun with just about anything. Look at all the posts lately from people enjoying Urbies. Pubbies are bad and anything that can do any damage will work against them.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Does anyone know how radar deprivation interacts with target retention?

I'm sure it's terrible but I'm curious anyway.

Target retention allows you to maintain a lock on someone with radar deprivation for only as long as the target lock bonus time is.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Devorum posted:

How are Crabs? I love them in TT and have been tempted to grab one.

I'm thoroughly average at mechs according to stats and somehow have triple the rating with them as anything else, so unless I really gel with them they're probably unusually great. Small size, good forward hitboxes, the weapons are kinda low but the small stature makes up for it. I like to run one with a standard engine and just six medium lasers, it keeps on trucking through damage while beating people senseless with the claws.

Plus they look excellent.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Takkaryx posted:

I have been getting super (un)lucky with MC stocking draws, and bought the hero jenner. I'm looking at fitting the biggest XL engine, 2xSRM6 and 2xSRM4s. Is this as hilariously bad/awesome as I think it is?

You'll probably want to go with four SRM4, as it's hard enough to fit enough ammo to keep the Oxide in the match without spending tonnage to fire more missiles with less accuracy. It's the worst when your spree has to end because you killed too hard and got exhausted.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Reached tier 3 despite my best efforts sticking to terrible robots, decided to clear out some garage space and get these Panthers elited already. Not wanting to invest much into some of them, I took the PNT-8Z out with just two SRM4 and a lot of ammo. I just cornered and cored an ER PPC Atlas, and then nearly legged a Stalker, getting the second leg red before his friends figured out how to defeat my bodyshield strategy by walking around him in two directions.

What is wrong with the people playing this game?

e: How is solo queue matchmaking done now, regarding weight? Are you still punished for taking a 'mech on the light end of a given weight class, or does it try to assemble teams of equivalent total weight now?

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 30, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Stringbean posted:

What's the difference between straight up lasers and pulse? I get that they fire differently - but is there any benefit to one over the other? Do lasers just give a constant stream of dps but have more heat build up?

Pulse lasers have worse range, but do more damage (and generate more heat) over time by cycling faster- you have to keep a laser over your target for the full duration to get full damage out of it, and pulse lasers apply their damage over a shorter duration than standard lasers.

Sard
May 11, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Not the jester?

The Jester is gimmicky fun, but not really great. I've enjoyed mine but I can do more good in a Crab, the Catapult just brings some more armor and jumpjets to the proceedings. In fact, there is probably no reason to pick the Jester when the Sparky exists, I just like Catapults and already had Sparky so.

Gonna try again with this question: does solo pub queue still assemble teams by class only, or does it try to balance weight now so that 65 ton heavies and 45 ton mediums aren't as penalized?

Sard
May 11, 2012

So I finally tried using the Wolfhound, after wrapping up the torture of the Panthers. I think I like this 'mech, is this what it feels like to use a Firestarter? Just stuck an XL250 and 6 MPLs and devoured a bunch of assaults and heavies. Got too greedy at the end and overheated to kill a Marauder, which led to my leg being shot off. Still stole one more kill before going down.

Also in the interest of dragging down my tier rating and fueling my bad robot fetish:
:getin:

Sard
May 11, 2012

teepo posted:

buying an x5 is mandatory if you're a persian and despite having become quite good with the recent changes, the 2b is still better

What's the appeal of the X-5? I thought it looked kinda boring and no one ever seems to mention it, let alone recommend it. For that matter, what does the Death's Knell bring to the table for fun or competency?

Sard
May 11, 2012

MisterFuzzles posted:

I really want to do something stupid and dump some money on either the Resistance 2 Crab pack for Wolfhounds and Crabs (Not the sanest choice as I have 2 Wolfhounds and 1 Crab already but Cbill boost chassis! Sweet camo!) or a Marauder pack.

Not that many heavies really appeal and I grew up watching Robotech so all the Unseen poo poo showing up is like mech catnip.

I've fallen in love with both the Wolfhound and the Crab, but you've missed the preorder bonuses that make it more worthwhile to invest so maybe wait for the next set to be announced? One of the unseen is probably a better idea, since they're still a long ways off from being available for cbills and they're cheap for heavies. Plus dumbass nerd nostalgia is a potent thing, I've got the Rifleman coming because of it (and in the hopes that the hero is quirked for the LBX). The Marauder seems like a really versatile machine, I've seen a lot of variety in their builds and most of them do pretty well.

e: those exosquad-branded destroid action figures have cost me a lot of money over the years between battletech and terrible robotech games

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think they just value the up-front cash (and they likely do have a good handle on how many orders they'll get) over potential increased sales after the early adopter period has ended.

It's very deliberate with the ability to upgrade your order later. They preview this stuff months ahead of release, and offer a significant incentive to throw money at it now before people have had time to dissect the potential of the mechs and before the models are shown, in case the reaction to those is negative (see: Wolfhound, which looked terrible in the first showing thanks to the inept cameraman) or otherwise before other hype deflation occurs. People throw down :20bux: early on at this stage, and then after a few months they might throw down another 20 or 15 for the upgraded packages as PGI cashes in on a second wave of hype when they start showing off the nearly finished robots. We may not like it, but it's not a stupid approach at all.

Sard
May 11, 2012

novaSphere posted:

The sole exception to this is the Trebuchet 7M, which you can and frankly should run with 2x LRM15 + A., BAP, and a TAG and nothing else. poo poo is bonkers if you use it right and don't end up in a situation on HPG or Crimson Straight where the enemy team is squatting indoors.

Seconding this (and that other medium with the good LRM bonuses, one of the Hunchbacks I think?) because while you can do better in the laser Trebuchet, it's really worth it to see mechs like the King Crab freak out from the storm of pinpoint missiles hitting their CT from a relatively fast mech with jumpjets.

But no one ever does this. I have seen only one LRM-TAG toting medium mech all week, in stark contrast to an LRM assault in every match, every day. I have seen so many Atlas in the last three days alone, all equipped the same way: LRMs and either two ER PPC, or two ERLL and maybe a pair of medium pulse lasers. And they're always on my team so I can't kill them.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Willfrey posted:

or you could bring a mech with only direct fire weapons and not LRMS and never have to worry about your missiles being countered by ECM, AMS, Radar Dep, or terrain.

When you do your own tagging then most of that stops being an issue. It's not something you should do primarily, but it's a nice spot of variety which I guess may not appeal to some robotists.

novaSphere posted:

I have a hard time being sold on the Trebuchet 5J being "better" in a sense, though--laser builds are still king but its arms are so low-slung that it just doesn't work for me

I had a lot of fun with it, to the point that it was the first mech I bothered to get mastery with. Not the best, but far from the worst, it was good for using the speed and jumping in coordination with the arm mounts to fire down on people or around walls. The thin side profile also helps avoid damage when facing perpendicular to an attacker. Of course, moving onto the Sparky from this was a revelation, but the range and duration quirks on the TBT-5J will always hold some appeal to me.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 3, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

I bought the ON1-M on a whim to use all the cbills from playing lights and mediums recently, since I really like the idea of a giant shotgun robot. This turned out to be a terrible decision oh my god even the Vindicator is more fun and effective than this. I got a spare XL 300 engine out of it and I'll keep using it until I have the basics, in case I go back to the Orion chassis, but I'm gonna sell it immediately after. I still really want to have fun with shotguns, though, so: Is the CN9-D any better or at least more usable?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Why would you put auto cannons on a light?

Nothing says "gently caress you" like a gimmick light with an AC/20.

Sard
May 11, 2012

The 1.5 tons and 2 slots used for a basic AMS setup is better used for BAP, whether you're teamwork oriented or not. You'll counter ECM and spot targets from further away, and for your own benefit you'll get detailed target information faster which can be critical to light and medium mechs that need to hit the soft spots and run.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Pick a cheap fast mech with lots of ballistic hardpoints. No armor, all machine guns, place your ammo wisely.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

It just means Alpine is dying a slow death. Which is exactly what it deserves.

If you get that most holy of holies, Skirmish on Alpine, which you inevitably will because the people who vote for Alpine also always vote for Skirmish, just run off to a nice hiding place and power down. Say in chat that your baby suddenly needs attending to or something and that you'll be right back, then go watch youtube or read a book or even post on forums or whatever. Make sure your cockpit is facing a wall or something else to prevent the team from figuring out where you are. Force them to realize the error in their voting as they wait for the match to time out.

Sard
May 11, 2012

After your team dies, is it also griefing to just run away forever (assuming you're in a robot that can do that)?

Sard
May 11, 2012

I'm going to regret asking this, but: Does anyone have the Mauler, especially the MAL-1R(R)? What's special about the model compared to the regular ones, and how well does it work as a fast assault SRM6+A boat? Still on the side of not upgrading to it, but I'm curious.

Sard
May 11, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Well, no matter what, it's not fast, but I like the idea of 4x ASRM6.

Just to be clear, since this is now Assault chat time, if I was relying on those four launchers as my primary source of damage, would I be a waste of 90 tons? I really like the Mauler from past games, and I like SRMs, and I was thinking about sticking a STD325 to run at its top speed while belting out just under 9 sustained DPS/63 alpha (with two added MPLs) from weapons located literally in a collar around the cockpit. With maybe four MGs because four of them and two tons of ammo neatly eats the remaining weight and scattered slots after overloading SRM ammo- I'm not expecting them to be critical hit killers, but I might as well cause a lot of extra light and noise when charging. It wouldn't cost much more to upgrade to the Mauler tier from where I'm at, plus the bonus items, but I don't want to do it if it's a particularly poor use of the weight.

Pattonesque posted:

Tier 3 is schizophrenic because some games you run up against the mega-tryhards and other games you could take on all 12 enemies by yourself

So far tier 3 for me has just been a spike in the number of idiots berating the team for their death when they're in a heavy LRM boat or a solo-charging Atlas expecting the pub queue tactics to mirror their elite unit strats.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Today I learned two things:
  1. The Adder flamer can be removed now???
  2. An Adder with two Clan UAC/5 is short-lived but intense Oh my god it can fit a 20 :getin:

Domed a King Crab.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 8, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

My wife got a new phone, and found this in her saved memos: https://soundcloud.com/bait_and_swatch/bad-bad-bad

I don't remember what goon made it, but its a song of buzzcutpsycho telling his buddies how bad they are at planetside. If anyone runs into him, please play it for him for nostalgia's sake.

I don't know if you really want to do that. The guy built his huge audience of stupid gamers by drawing attention through big claims and whole-hog "politically incorrect"/bigoted jackassery. This wouldn't embarrass him, it'd just further validate his approach and even worse make him feel relevant again.

Don't encourage Video Games Donald Trump.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Is there any way to shoehorn the Raven into a brawly scout role? Besides the Huginn, anyway; I've already got an Oxide and I want something that looks like a Raven and pokes hard with energy weapons for endurance, but doesn't need to do it from a mile away.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I wish I had a reason to pick up some Vindys. I love the way they look, but my understanding is that they are essentially worst-in-class.

I have the St. Ives Blues because it does look cool, but also because you can still sometimes get kills with it and there is basically no greater shame in robotdom than dying to the Vindicator Hero. Whatever the VND chassis lacks, it makes up for in humiliation potential.

Sard
May 11, 2012

:yikes:

Buffs coming to MASC and Clan Targeting Computers in Feburary, but the more interesting thing is that maybe PGI is going to make the IS command console not a pile of poo poo and also have some new game function?

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/687000615763841024

Sard
May 11, 2012

Commoners posted:

Take a tag on the highest point on your mech, because LRMs are an indirect fire weapon. With all of my low firing points beneath a ledge on the awesome I can shoot the tag over a slight ridge and expose myself even less than my hill humping blackjacks would while doing the same thing.

This is really the most important thing and the saving grace that lets a few specific mechs go from bad gimmick missile diversions to okay fighters. It's like getting to pack all your guns in the head mount, and you can do some neat stuff on maps like canyon network.

Sard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 13, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why would you use hacks in this game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

It still boggles me that as good as clan stuff was for ages, PGI managed to make a robot as iconic for simply beating rear end as the Thor as bad as it is.

Regarding good robots for this event: Gonna be having a lot of fun in the Oxide. That thing is perfect for most damage done assists solo kills on bad Assaults that die after 32~ SRMs to the rear CT. I was thinking of dropping from this XL 280 to a slightly smaller engine to hold a little more ammo but the pages of light mech speed posts have me hesitant. 130ish seems fast enough to me, though. I also saw some other launcher arrangements posted; I thought 4xSRM4 was the best, is it not?

• Locked thread