Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Yup. And sadly, since Steam lacks any form of reasonable community management, "review bombing" and harassment in the review pages, continue to be rampant. It's going to be precisely what kills Steam eventually.

Too bad for you Star Citizen isn't on Steam then, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Willfrey posted:

i will say it again, a timberwolf S with 4 ASRM6 and 4 spl is a loving beast

While not as metatryhard, swapping out a ASRM and some ammo for a LBX20 is also quite fun.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skoll posted:

All the shitlers in one place. Too bad we can't literally :gas: them.

I just browsed it for a minute and it's bad opinions, truth poisoned by inarticulate grammar, and guild recruiting that puts in way too much :effort: for a game of this caliber.

Then again I guess when your guild drops have designated EL AR EM FIRE SUPPORT FOX TWO FOX TWO and good decent erm terrible goons roll you, a bit of desperation is understandable.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Great Beer posted:

What would you consider needed then?

More fleshed-out CW, map/game design that doesn't force deathballing as the only viable strategy in most matches.

To be fair, they do seem to be improving and the disappearance of poptarting (mostly) is a step beyond anything MW4 ever achieved.

I think the most fair and accurate way to summarize the current state of MWO is that it's a few good steps on the right (and long) road.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Devorum posted:

I went crazy and thought about putting AC/2s on my Cent-AH to check out their new crit-seeking, and...is there any weapon so poorly balanced in the game as this gun? I can either mount an AC/10 or 2 AC/2s. 3 AC/2s is 4 tons heavier than an AC/20. I get that they fire fast and you get a lot of ammo per ton, but...really?

I'm having a blast in my SRM-30 Stalker in the meantime.

That's just there so smaller mechs can't boat a weapon that has to be boated to be effective. Unless of course you're using the Clan LBX-2 which is a Good Weapon on Clan Lights.

But seriously, if you're with a bunch of SRM dudes, a Timber Wolf with 3xSRM6, 4 SPL and a LBX-20 is great for stealing kills on open-torso targets.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Pooncha posted:

Artemis noticeably tightens the spread so you can get more missiles into a single part. Since many robots have structure buffs it's nice to be able to concentrate the majority of your power to where you want to hit.

As for how much ammo, it depends on how fast and loose you tend to spew missiles. If you're conservative and pick your targets, you can probably get away with less ammo and use the extra tonnage for something else. It's something you'd want to play a few games to find out.

I played again on Bad Mechs with Bad Builds (if you see a blue Awesome-8T with four LPLs, that's probably me). I had lots of fun trolling the voting screens and picking the most unvoted/least desirable options. :laugh:

That is my absolute favorite bad build. I use an XL375 for extra terribleness.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

This one isn't too far off: Fwub'n'run, but ammo will be a problem.

Why not copy most Cheater builds and drop to a single JJ for extra ammo?

Also, GIRLs remember to All Chat "GIRL POWER" after every kill. This supporst Riyott, and by extension our armed forces, but more importantly it leads to more people complaining about "that one guy" who spams "that one thing he spams OMG". Then you ask what he spams, they say "girl power", and you politely ask them not to spam girl power a mere nanosecond before your entire goon team spams "GIRL POWER" and utterly wrecks their entire lineup.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

https://mwomercs.com/archer

one of them has nine missile hardpoints

:hurr: PREORDER :hurr:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Any thoughts on this? It's a Streakcrow but with dumbfire SRMs. I don't think I've ever seen one of these, but I think it looks like an amazing facewrecker.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=185&l=c4202ed97426c7b5cac94230a9cbcd9625eb1dd0

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I was looking at something like that too for my streakcrow but putting one of the -c pod son it and an LPL for poking.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=185&l=8b2c40bc78981f672dbfe132af6bad8ce587db50

This is almost the same as my -C from when I was playing back in the spring" http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=184&l=000cac21a0ec6f268f2525b870cc2ab4bdc4b753

Very hot, but you really don't use the LPL once you're in SRM range.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

by.a.teammate posted:

Anyone online to add me back to WoL? or GIRL if it has better GMT playtime possibilities (think i have enough clan mech to do CW)

In game name 'byateammate'

Sent

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

It all makes sense.

Hope you enjoyed the SRMageddon, ladies. Prepare your buttholes for the impending SRM nerfs once the Archer hits c-bills.

I really hate to buy into the level of cynicism required to go down this path, but it wouldn't be surprising. PGI has used gameplay balance as a tool for cash revenue in the past, and this would only be another example.

As always, the Golden Rule of MWO: Never give PGI money. Ever. Many of us have transgressed to varying degrees in the past (myself included) but a lot of you goony nerds keep reinstalling as soon as a good patch comes out and suddenly it's wallets out, forgetting that every.single.time. PGI does anything remotely good they follow it up by making cheesecloth of the playerbase's collective butthole. I'm looking at you, yoda.

Re: Tiers - Solo queue w/pubbies is bad, but after a few nights of dropping with goon groups wow is solo queue like a bucket of cold acid to the nuts.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 17, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Nickiepoo posted:

As we've spoken about in the past, PGI are bad at business.

But oh so skilled at exploiting and easing the combined burden of a heavy wallet and childhood nostalgia.

Wales Grey posted:

PGI should offer a premium subscription service: for the low, low price of $40 a month you get all the robots released during that month and a point on your "premium rewards card". Premium Rewards Points can be cashed in for MC/EXCLUSIVE PREMIUM CAMOFLAGES and at the end of every calendar year if you have at least six points you get a free skinmech! 12 points on your card means you get a free GOLDEN skinmech of your choosing (except for Clan mechs, we can't infringe on the exclusivity of the $500 skins).

Or maybe just go with a cheaper/less greedy microtransaction system, which works well when you have a large playerbase.*

*I'll take "Things PGI would have if they'd followed through on promises and avoided a greedy monetization scheme" for $500, Alex. Actually, I'll take that packaged with a gold Limited Supply Timber Wolf for $1000.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skoll posted:

War Thunder is far from a gold standard. If anything, Gaijin has consistently been raising their prices and upping their grind. PGI just copied World of Tank's retail model and morons bought into it.

Agreed. I haven't played WT in a while but the grind and pricing is far from fun or fair; it's just not nearly as bad as PGI. THe biggest difference between the two games is that (at least in GF) the grind has more "flavor" based on every faction having a tier where winning a match is a God-given miracle.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

WebDO posted:

Remind me again: how long did players have to lobby before PGI caved and made this concession? As I'm sure you recall, the original $500 pack was just for the gold mech.

And it was originally a scaling system - if you wanted the TImber Wolf, you had to buy the pack that included everything below it. It was only after over 500 pages of player rage in a single thread that they initiated the a la carte system (which was/is still hilariously overpriced).

It's pretty clear that their system is design art->offer prorder->use preorder funds to build mech->sell mech->rinse/repeat.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Anticheese posted:

There is basically no bad way to build one. Go hog wild.

Challenge Accepted.

:smuggo:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Please stop posting viable mech builds.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We just won on Canyon in 3:30. That is all.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I don't get it, why does everyone go nuts over them?

A good analogy would be going nuts over playable Ewoks in a Star Wars game.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Nope. That's how it works. Remember how you needed to basic other chassis to unlock elite? It's like that.

Enjoy eliting two other variants of your chassis. :banjo:

Is this a recent change? I've played off and on since closed beta and I don't remember ever needing to elite other variants to master any single one.

Re: Lights:

Arctic Cheetah is good and fun with 6x SPL. I'm by no means a great pilot and I've been cursed out in mumble for doing amazing things with the 6xSPL build.

Firestarter is best played similar to the Cheetah, 6xSPL. Firestarter can't tank nearly as well, but I would recommend playing that before the Cheetah because the lack of ECM and survivability force you to be more clever/cautious. Once you've mastered Firestarters, Cheetahs are easy mode because you're used to being without ECM. Overall, if you can get away with something in a Firestarter, you can get away with it in a Cheetah. That's personal preference though.

Ravens are decent, if you prefer sitting back and sniping the 3L is a great choice, although Ravens can do close range fighting as well. Huginn is fun missile vomit but it's a very different mechanic than the more common energy lights.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 20, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is there really no intbetween "12v12 no respawn deathmatch" and "get obliterated by 12man premade with 3 respawns"?
Like a random 12v12 with respawns and not faction bound?

I dont really like committing to play premade obliteration for a week with only one faction, but i cant really stomach random deathmatch so i stick to 1week clans / 1 week sphere at the moment...
Play with goons. Your only other option for success in this game is to play it like a Korean MMO.

DancingShade posted:

I think it's still locked behind the MC paywall but the Griffin 2N medium mech is a superb 55 ton SRM splatboat.

It also has ECM for added fun.

And keep in mind that good/fun mechs tend to get heavily nerfed soon after coming out from behind that MC paywall.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, whats ghost heat?

It's an additional heat penalty for firing too many of the same weapon type at the same time, or rather within the same .5 second window.

For example, a Clan ER PPC generates 15 points of heat when fired. If you fire a pair, they will both generate 15 points of heat for a total of 30. However, if you fire a trio of C/ERPPC within the same .5 second window, they will generate a total of 63.90 points of heat; that additional 18.9 points of heat is a "ghost" penalty.

The threshold at which the ghost penalty begins to apply varies depending on weapon system. The ghost penalties are based on a complex formula that would make Michio Kaku's head spin, elements of which include highly complex math, hubris, and poor game design. None of this is explained in any official documentation beyond 2.5-year-old forum announcements, and an obscure in-game tooltip that, if you even notice it, obscurely informs you that "firing more than X number of weapon type Y will incur additional heat"

Original Ghost Heat Announcement

If anyone has it, please for the love of posterity post the chalkboard-style diagram Paul posted with the original Ghost Heat "formula". FOUND IT

The Maths of Ghost Heat, in a simple and intuitive visual format :allears:

Ghost Heat spreadsheet

Ghost Heat simulator, allows you to see your robot's heat levels without spending C-Bills.

Ghost Heat utterly failed to stop the high-pinpoint alpha strike (for newbirds, that is the ability to instantly put a massive amount of damage into a single location with a single click) meta; in fact, it's main effect was to neuter the builds that most effectively countered the issue it was supposed to be fixing.

Bonus ~~~Science~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

crowbb posted:

At what amount do small pulse lasers trigger ghost heat? I'm running around with 6 of the things on my Arctic Cheetah and heat isn't usually an issue unless I fight the same battle for too long. If I could find a way to squeeze one more on that might be fun. Despite the complete lack of any ranged game, I'm still enjoying that little thing more than anything else I have tried. I had a Stormcrow for a while before I understood the game much and didn't like it (I have wasted soooo many C-bills screwing around, but real money spent is still at $0). I have a terribly designed Thunderbolt now but I do better in my fast little bugger than I ever do in it. Later I'm going to try out that Centurion.

I haven't even touched assaults yet, fearing being the guy who takes up a valuable assault mech slot, but stinks.

Also I guess I have played enough now that I should look into playing with some goons. I still haven't tried faction mode (I don't even own enough tonnage to come close to 250 tons or whatever the cap is), but I play a lot of skirmish and I have Mumble somewhere on my machine. My pilot name is Gravynaut.

Ghost Heat starts at 7.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Wait when did they even add IS ER Large Lasers?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
This has been a good week. Lots of ineffective LRM comp opponents and I'm pretty sure I've cored more backs in three days than I have in any other month of play. With a few exceptions, I'm not sure there's really a group that can win against a goon group once it gets into brawling range.

Of course this means that brawling will be nerfed imminently.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

That pubbies melt down at the end was great though.

"Why are you running away? You need to engage the match is about to end and he is out of Gauss ammo."

"NO DAD, YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP! YOURE LIKE A BACKSEAT DRIVER AND poo poo!!!"

*Match end in draw

The best part was the perfectly stereotypical angry teenager voice.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
IMO the 6xSPL Arctic Cheetah is the best mech in the game for sheer fun. Do not be afraid to try insanely dangerous/cocky squawkery with it, in fact focus on doing just that because 90% of the time you will get away with it. The other 10% you'll learn from.

Rule #1: Do not engage Streakcrows.
Rule #2: Don't go against superior numbers (except for butt-coring pokes) unless there is a heavier friendly target sharing their attention.
Rule #3: Do absolutely whatever you want because, again, you will probably get away with it. Pretend you're roleplaying a Wall Street banker.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

novaSphere posted:

The trial crow has convinced me that I finally need to take the plunge into the dark side. I have something like 38m C-bills stocked up; which 3 do I buy and how do I game the system so I can sell them later with no real repercussions? Do I level them up and then sell the other two CTs and keep the omnipods? I'm not sure how clan systems work.

edit: does it even matter which ones I actually buy? I guess the CTs don't matter but the C and D have hardpoints I like.

Just buy any three variants, you'll be buying/swapping extra omnipods for most builds anyway.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

B-b-but what about super special rank privileges guys we need to keep guild bank withdrawal privileges to the elites only.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Thank you!

Unrelated: Are mech bays sold in threes?

They're sold in singles for 300MC each; if buy any kind of package I believe you automatically get however many bays are needed to house all the Mechs.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Arguing LRMs is comparable to a political debate: Minds are made up and best case scenario is "Yeah I know I'm wrong but I like my way better so LOLogic"

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Hey folks! As some of you may clearly do not know, people usually like to play consecutive group matches fairly quickly with a minimum of interruption. While quick module or other minor tweaks between matches is understandable, please understand that hunting down that module that was JUST ON MY MISERY BUT WHERE DID IT!!! or completely rebuilding your mech for 5 minutes is generally annoying. As many MWO goons have busy schedules (not me), families (still not me), and other considerations (cash mech money), it's polite to at least mention in mumble that you're going to be diving into the abyss of the Mechlab UI so that, if necessary, you can be removed from group, or people at least know what's up and can take a moment to take a break of their own.

If, pray forbid, you find yourself unable to perform these minor courtesies, in order that the group's time and your Mechwizardry may be made most efficient, I will randomly be performing rear CT armor/structure tests on your Mechs. I trust that you will all appreciate this selfless public service, and I will gladly accept donations in the form of ~~~Awesome Champion Mechs~~~ gifted to my account. I also look forward to the next five pages of this thread being taken up by an increasingly personal attack-laden argument over the exact boundaries of Mechlab etiquette.

Also when and why did they nerf speed tweak. Gotta go faster.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd rather save up my MC for when mech bays go on sale.

That won't be anytime soon, they just had a short New Year's sale that included 50% off Mechbays.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Surprise Giraffe posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=1&l=b89b68cdbbaa044af0688665a89595ca0630afa9
Been trying to figure out how to make the HBK-4G work for me. Came up with this. It's still not exactly surviveable but it's really great fun. I kind of want to try it with Ultra-AC5s though.

Try this instead, it's painfully slow at first but speed tweak makes it serviceable. HBK-4G

Endbuster posted:

I tried to run the 6 laser setup and it's just way to hot for me. Having the back up weapon was nice, but your arms are the first to go in that mech. I switched to the arm that has bonus structure and a single laser and now circle strafe with that side towards the enemy so if I lose an arm they have to work for it, and it's only one gun. I always alpha so after about 4 alphas I'm down to alternating firing 2 and 3 lasers to manage the heat.

TL:DR YMMV with bonus laser. I find 5 with an extra heart sink lets you sustain faster/live longer.

Eight points of structure isn't worth losing 6 points from your alpha. As a Cheetah, you never go for fair fights. Most lights will run away from you, and you'll develop a sense for when and how far to chase. The ones that don't run away are either dumb or capable of klling you/hurting you badly before they go down. Those get dragged back to your team. Most of your Cheating should be scouting and shooting butts, the only time you should be circle-strafing is during a brawl when the enemy has much heavier problems to focus on; the alpha is incredibly hot but if you're poking from the side/rear it works quite well. Seismic also helps immensely for knowing when to run run run.

tl;dr Cheetah is for poking butts, not extended fights. You can also set secondary fire groups of 3/3 or arm/torso lasers to help manage your heat.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Endbuster posted:

I dunno man. I think I got the Cheetah figured out. EDIT: That sounded harsh, basically I've tried both and we're splitting hairs. I do play the way you described, though. I am a butt poking sonofabitch.

That's impressive, if it's working that well for you ignore me and keep doing your thing.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

honestly I think we should do a constant tour of the Inner Sphere on one-week contracts

that way it gives newbirds (and everyone, really) a chance to get some extra mechbays in CW

This, I need some more mechbays. Also someone show me a good EBJ build that doesn't involve staring at the enemy with UACs or copying the 2LPL/lots of small Pulse Timber Wolf.

Actually, I think that's the problem with the EBJ. It's like the Timber Wolf's smaller window-licking brother.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

abuse culture. posted:

i cant believe how bad everyone who plays this game is. next stop 4k damage

I thought NKVA was boycotting the game after a bunch of you got banned for repeatedly being Godwin-level trolls in open chat innocently saying "I'm gay" that one time.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Pubbies seemed extra dumb tonight. Never thought I'd see an all LRM Atlas, and yet tonight forced me to spectate this idiot stumble around on Alpine.
Yesterday evening was full moon madness. Out of 18 matches or so, all but two looked like the results of a Yellboss-guided Goon 12-man vs. Tier 5 pubbies with joysticks.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 9, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

teepo posted:

nobody can ever be as good as modpud, she is literally greatest player in the entire game, everybody knows her name

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/87101-best-players-that-you-ever-seen/page__st__440__p__1891404#entry1891404

mentallillness.txt

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Stringbean posted:

Seems about right. If this is the MAD I'm thinking about, I run it with 4 LPL and 3 Machine guns... Because, I can juggle heat like a champ and those pulses make people think twice before charging.

It's like Kitchen Nightmares but with Mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Was it one of those builds where they take a heavy or medium, give it just a single gauss rifle and spend the rest of their tonnage on ammo?
Don't mock MechCommander Hollander roleplay guys. If I want to further my immerison by roleplaying the Inner Sphere loyal but secretly trueborn Captain Harrington Davion-Kerensky, piloting an honorabru-ly inefficient mech then by God sir I will!

• Locked thread