Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

KyloWinter posted:

why was it introduced

To prevent massive alpha strikes being repeated over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Hey now, you only get 2 alpha strikes before you over heat and die :colbert:. That's like, only 2 kills. 3 if some mechs stand in a line.

Hi, new page. I have to admit that I like the music in the steam launch trailer. I also regret that I am 2Legit and won't get to play against new people coming in since I am stuck in the MLG tier 2, with such famous Youtube stars as...and also....uh....

\/\/I hardly ever get close enough with the Catapult to be able to brawl well. But my Atlas' always seem to sneak right up on groups of enemies :psyduck:

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 10, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

So... Ive been pretty interested in these clan mechs.

I bought the Catapult A1 (c) "Clan Variant".

Well... lo behold I take it to the testing grounds and the mech lab. The HUD is neither blue nor are clan LRM available to be equipped?!

Thats the whole reason I just spent $20 on this thing because I was told clan mechs... can equip clan weapons...

I can't even find ANY information ANYWHERE online as to what mechs even CAN equip C-LRM. Is there any way I can have a refund done or something.

steamlaunch.txt

Oh my god I want to be tier 5 so bad right now.

Did anyone else see the CW phase 3 thing? Is it more like what they promised way back when CW was announced?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

And yes the Summoner is just bad. You could probably make one work now if you boat SRMs, but your clan heavy alternatives are basically in descending order: Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars (Which are like small timberwolves), or Hellbringers which have ECM.

SMN-PRIME

I thought Summoners were garbage too until I built this. It looks unassuming, but when I use it I'm almost always top damage and I get more than a few kills out of it. It's an amazing quick play mech, but it's bad for CW because of ammo limits. I know most people in the thread prefer high alphas, but this guy gets the job done even if it looks weak and squishy. But then I tend to be good with mechs that aren't that great on paper (Kit Fox), and poo poo with mechs that should be legit amazing (I'm looking at you, Thunderbolt.)

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So I got a spider mech and made it as fast as possible with a large laser as someone suggested.

I picked the one chassis that can't use ECM (I didn't even realize certain chassis can't use certain things).

Still having a blast running around, marking guys and shooting butts. I rarely contribute much in damage, but I seem to piss off people enough that I'll have 3-4 after me most of the time as I dart around...

Up until I break my legs from fall damage.

Raven 3L I'd you want to annoy people at distance and stay hidden. 2 ERLL with ECM. Arctic Cheetah can do a few large lasers too, I think, but I love the raven too much. Ravens get good energy quirks for the most part.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Yeah but can't you do that same (or similar) build on a Hellbringer and have ECM?

I've never tried it, but it seems like the Hellbringer is at it's best when boating lasers. You could put two U-AC5 in the right torso, and maybe a lot of small lasers in the left? That 5 tons makes a pretty big difference when it comes to ammo though, and that Summoner build needs as much ammo as it can get. I could probably try it at some point to see if it's as viable.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would doubly appreciate some suggestions for a couple each of IS mediums and heavies so I can start building a drop deck.

3 thunderbolts loaded with pulse lasers for sure. Not sure about the last. I only have 1 TDR until I get some more mech bays. Right now my IS deck is Thunderbolt 5SS, Atlas D-DC, and 2 ravens. It will likely change to 3 TDRs and my raven 3L when I get my bays from CW.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Tagichatn posted:

Did most mechs keep somewhat similar quirks or am I going to have to look through 40 mech quirks to see what's good?

They have a PDF somewhere on the MWO site you can look at and find what mech you need, since it's divided by IS weight class and Clan weight class.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Bentai posted:

Private matches cost MC though, right?

You need to have premium activated, I think.

Sarsapariller posted:

Man, I had been holding off on mastering Ravens forever because the 2X was such poo poo. The recent quirkening has worked miracles though- it is a beast machine with 3LL now, even before basic efficiencies.

I sold my 2X a long time ago. Is it as good as the 4X energy quirks? And speaking of Ravens, isolating a lone King Crab on Alpine with my Huggin was great. Killed it just before it's team got to me and murdered me. Too bad they made The Huggin SRM 4 fire so much slower though. With all the internal structure quirks to other mechs, it would help a lot if it was a bit faster.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Ladies and gentleman, the Steam release (read the chat. I mean, come on).

Edit: Oh, oh! Someone introduce him to [GIRL]!

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 15, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

SoftNum posted:

is buying mechs with MC a specifically bad idea (apart from the 'why spend real money on shooty bots')?

Some gimmick hero mech can be fun, but you will slowly earn MC through events, so you don't need to buy any if you are patient. Keep in mind that when you buy a mech for c-bills, they will default to MC if you have any. Always be sure to check you aren't about to spend MC on a normal mech.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Vorenus posted:

Re: Tiers - Solo queue w/pubbies is bad, but after a few nights of dropping with goon groups wow is solo queue like a bucket of cold acid to the nuts.

Try dropping in CW for mech bays and end up with 7 brand new people from Steam, while facing off against a full 12 man that's running all arctic cheetahs (and have it happen 3 times in a row against 3 different groups). You get to hear the most out and out ridiculously retarded things. People coming in from Steam are buying clan mechs, just normal average mechs, for actual money because they think it lets them use it in IS drops. Out of 3 CW matches last night, I've had to tell that to multiple people and the rage coming through VOiP is just...something else, but not unexpected. One guy bought 4 clan mechs thinking that he could use them for his deck. We managed to tell only one person that they didn't need to buy mechs for actual money to take part in CW, and how to find the "edit" button that let's you select your mechs that you want in your drop deck.

I'm thinking about breaking my current contract and just going back to Clan Wolf for a while until some of this settles down...My heart can't take it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I would like to occasionally roll with people in my terribad robutt builds. Also which CW group is currently doing IS? I need my IS mech bays to max out the thunderbolt. After that I want to keep working the clans, even though holy poo poo the amount of damage I can output on the IS side is crazy. Thank you, Atlas DC, for being my new money maker.

In game as C de Monte Cristo, thanks.

Edit: Apparently I have spaces in my name....

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 21, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Axetrain posted:

Alright I've got 20 million C-Bills so I think I'm ready to buy my first mech. Anything wrong with the King Crab? It's the mech I liked playing the most out of the trial mechs. I mostly want to get up close to people and shoot auto cannons into their face, which variant lets me use dual AC/20's? I like zipping around in mediums too but I don't know the maps at all to put that mobility to very good use. Also whats with UAVs and airstrikes, it said some were added to my inventory but I don't know how to use them.

To use UAV's and all that, go to the Mech Loadout screen, then Modules. It's under consumables. Most consumables cost you 40K C-Bills per use (1 use per match), and one is only like...15K? The really weak coolant module I think. You can select to have those modules reload after matches for the C-Bill cost. Make sure not to select the ones that cost MC. You sometimes get those in events. They are slightly more useful versions of the C-Bill variants.

That's odd, Sebmojo. Maybe I have spaces in there. I'm so used to accounts not allowing spaces in names. In that case it would be C de Monte Cristo. Otherwise give me your name and I'll add it.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 21, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So if you are still on the fence about buying an Atlas D-DC...

A few rounds I've gotten lucky enough to sneak around enemies and start wrecking them from behind. This one we just had a good team, but another match my team refused to move from the citadel in River City. I snuck around the E5 area and starting killing a few of theirs, at which point my entire team moved in and won the match after I killed 2 of theirs before being taken down. The DC seems to be a better motivator at getting friendlies to move than the S.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Aeneas posted:

Added my self to the list for invite.

Quick question: I have two mechs from last time I played about a year and half ago, is there any reason to use a trial mech over something I already own?

No. You will likely do better in mech you own and can customize.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

teepo posted:

how easy is it to get MC from the event? i need about 175 more to buy a Jester

It's not easy or hard, it's just the luck of the draw. I've gotten over 400 MC out of 50 draws so far.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
my current IS contract is up, so I added myself to the doc.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Paingod556 posted:

Attention all GIRL and Clan faction members

It's time

Maybe I should have joined GIRL....What is that other planet that is like...the something pleasure retreat? I thought that would be another goon target.

You know, even though the Boar's Head isn't the best brawling Atlas anymore, I still love the dumb thing. It's alpha is 20 points lower than the D-DC, but I still tend to do better with the BH. With the M Pulse and AC/20 cool down, it's DPS is pretty high. I managed to get a few lucky head shots against regulars I see all the time (and they don't even bitch about it). I don't like Tier 2 for the over competitive nature of it sometimes, but some of the regular players tend to be fairly chill and a lot of fun in chat when you die because your team abandons you. I ended up being a sacrifice to help the team win at some point, and the team chat was pretty cool about it. Using an Atlas to divert half the enemy team on Therma and lure them out of the center, then core 4-5 of them is fantastic. Tier 2 has a few super lovely people, but overall I guess it isn't so bad. I would love to be back in Tier 5 with the Boar's Head right now though. I could use the 400-500K per match again.

Boar's Head is also the only none light that I can think of that benefits from ferro fibrous armor over endo-steel.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Great Beer posted:

:psyduck: endo is always better.

The only difference between the endo BH on Metamechs and mine is that the endo version goes 2 kph faster, has one more heat sink, and loses a ton and a half of AC/20 ammo. I know ferro is a poo poo option on basically every mech, which is why I don't have it on the vast majority except a few lights, but I would rather have the ammo and very very slight armor increase over 2 kph. I just don't see endo as worth it for this one mech :shrug:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Astroniomix posted:

Your armor is exactly the same as it was before you upgraded, it just weighs less. There is literally no situation where FF is a superior option to endo.

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 27, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Astroniomix posted:

The wording sucks, and I've been having to educate people on how it actually works since CBT, even though the wording is technically correct, mechs are limited on how many "points" or armor they can equip rather than a tonnage limit which is why FF doesn't increase your armor.

With the way it's worded I figured the number of points didn't change, just that they could take more hits at the current value (so 10 points of armor taking a 12% reduction in damage vs 10 points of armor taking normal damage, similar to how armor works in, say, battlefield 2142). Whenever anyone said ferro was poo poo, I just thought it was because most people try to jam as much in their mech as possible, so even with "better protection" you were loosing 14 slots without loosing as much weight as endo. If I had Googled "Ferro Fibrous MWO" I probably would have known waaaaay sooner why goons hated ferro so much. It makes way more sense now.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

Also, if I have a poo poo-ton of cbills, whats a good clan CW dropdeck to build towards?

The arctic cheetah is already on my list, as is the kit fox. two thirty tonners leave a 90+100 or 95/95.

I'm thinking synergy as far as eliting stuff. Multiple stormcrows is also a possibility.

Tell me about : Hellbringers and clan assaults/heavies.

The kit fox is super hard to build well or be taken seriously in CW. You are a very slow light with bad damage output and fall apart very easy. I do okay with mine, but it's still suboptimal and tends to be my last drop. Hellbringers can be built to laser vomit very effectively, and the ECM is nice to have. The Dakkawolf is your assault of choice usually, just give it some backup lasers, and at least one arm that can swivel back and forth, not just up and down. Helps deal with lights that get close. The Timber Wolf is still the go-to heavy, since you can set it up to do anything. I used to bring mine as an SRM brawler, but since IS does better in close range now, I might switch to laser vomit and try to keep my distance.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

Ah ha. I knew there was something off about the kitfox. Thats pretty simliar to the mediums I've been running though.

If dire wolves are the go-to for dakka, then how are the mist lynxes? I'd need a pair of each.

My current CW set up is Kit-Fox, Nova, Storm Crow, and Dire Wolf. You could easily do 2 storm crows and play the role of light, medium, and heavy all in one. All around, it's just too good to not put in a drop deck. The kit fox is just...hard to set up, and I wouldn't recommend the Myst Lynx just because it always seems to be underwhelming in CW. I do really good in standard matches with it, but in CW people will see you as an easy, quick kill and usually take it. One salvo from a Thunderbolt or a good Atlas and you are toast. for the Kit Fox, the WUB build and Laser Vomit build on Metamechs are similar to what I use. You can use the Kit Fox for CW, but you need to buddy up with someone larger and work as a force multiplier.

The best light, hands down, is the Arctic Cheetah. You can set them up like a Raven 3L with 2 ERLL and hit at range, or as a light brawler with SPL. It's far more versatile then the Kit Fox or Myst Lynx, and as much as I like both of those mechs they just don't even come near the Cheetah. You could do a Cheetah, 2 Storm Crows, and a Dire and only come in at 240 tons, the old drop weight.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Champ mechs are +XP, not Cbills. If you want a +30% Cbill Stormcrow you have to buy it for 55$ a'la carte or get whatever package it's in from Clan Wave 1 for the (I) variant.

As far as IS heroes go, at 50% off the Sparky is a solid laser boat. It used to be relatively bad but with the last quirk wave its PPC quirks became generalized energy quirks. So you can run LPLs and mediums in it with an XL that's covered by the griffins crazy arms. The Arrow (blackjack) isn't bad either (3 well quirked large lasers and six machine guns) ...and at 50% off the Pirates Bane (locust) is only 700mc or something for a 150kph ECM light that can do four medium lasers (or three and a medium pulse if you want to get crazy.).

Don't leave out the Huggin. Once you get good at aiming SRMs, and put an SRM 4 cool down on it, it can still brawl and take down much larger mech with ease. It just can't fight lights too well, sadly.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

I thought with the last quirk pass the Huggin lost its amazing ROF quirks for SRM4s? I mean if it still works then yeah by all means consider it too, I was just under the impression it got hurt bad so I didn't list it. I am more than happy to be wrong.

It's not AS good as it used to be. It can't poo poo missiles so fast it overheats in a heart beat any more, but when you get used to it it still eats larger mechs fairly easily. The quirks to it's internals help balance it out, I guess. It can still hurt like a son of a bitch when used right. You can't just Rambo into groups anymore, sadly, but anyone off guard is dead.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is the UAC20 good? Is putting two of them on a dire wolf a bad idea? Because it sure sounds fun.

Better to use 4 uac 5 or 3 uac 10. You spread damage less than with the uac 20.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Thank you!

Unrelated: Are mech bays sold in threes?

Singles. Sometimes they go on sale for half off.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Were is the docket for WOL? Is not in the OP that I could see

Here it is

It was back a few pages

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have pretty different builds. The KC is at its best sporting 4 UAC5s as a medium range support mech, although there are also good brawler builds. It benefits from being fairly low profile, although it is wide as a house.

The Atlas is tanky as all gently caress. Most of the builds I've seen of it are brawlers, although I'm sure you could rig it with LLs for a more medium range approach. One of my favorite Atlas variants is the one with ECM, something you don't often see on assaults.

The D-DC is surprisingly stealthy. AC/20 and 3 SRM 6 isn't as strong as the Atlas-S, but holy drat the D-DC pulls it's weight in a brawl.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Is the metamechs build for the Splatcat any good? I'm not sure how well the XL engine would go over with how huge and squishy the Cat is. Are there any builds preferred by goons?

Metamechs SplatCat

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

sebmojo posted:

invites sent

whoa, i haven't seen a full group in mumble for like 18 months

I tried sending you a message in game when you were on. You came and went pretty quick!

Someone tripped on the ethernet cord....

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The servers were having heat issues so they hit O, and now the servers have exploded.

(Sorry, Commoners. :v:)

I've spectated PGI builds. I don't think they know what heatsinks are.

Takkaryx posted:

Do you know what they were packing?

Helios, from the sound of it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Someone plugged the servers back in. They's up and runnin'.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I watched a crow get 1 shot today. It walked out in front a bit and then got shot once and died... I hope things like that aren't a common thing in this game because that would be a good reason not to play.

I ended up one shotting 2 people via head shots one after another on Tourmaline before. Fortunately they are people I play against a lot, so they didn't cry foul. That sort of thing is super rare though. 1 shotting anything that isn't a light that hasn't properly spread it's armor doesn't happen often.

Playing with goons, even without mumble access yet (I just broke Kurita contract tonight, so I couldn't join WoL to get info) was a pretty big difference. The Boar's Head really shines when playing with a more coordinated group. My alpha isn't as big, but that doesn't matter when I'm concentrating all that damage right in the CT of the enemy. Was good times.

Patrat posted:

Also 228 is from what I remember a legit good team who do post videos of their games and do not appear to be cheating? But do coordinate fire well.

I've played against them a lot in CW, and I've never had any reason to suspect them of cheating. Pug teams can get to at least 24 kills against them, which is pretty good for pugs against a 12 mans. Then again, I hardly come across anyone who may be blatantly cheating.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 30, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I was rolling with Kurita to get the mech bay before I got the unit invite, but apparently I can't break the contract because there are exactly 3 days left on it. Well okay then. Guess I'll see if I can rush the second mech bay or something...

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TeeMerk posted:

MAKE THE INNERSPHERE GREAT AGAIN

VOTE TRUMP 3050

E: servers back up?

Russ' Twitter.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

liquidfire posted:

servers back up and i'm lucky enough to lead my group against WoL for three matches in a row. i now have a pirates bane and it's so rad.

If you can handle the heat, try it with 4 medium lasers set to fire in groups on left and right side. It cools down sssslllloooowwww, but you will be doing a lot of scouting while you cool down.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Nope, tied to the omnipods, and they apparently apply to everything even if you have them on a single omnipod out of your whole mech, or so I was told.

What I'd love to know is what happens when you have multiple omnipods with penalties/bonuses to the same stats, do they stack or does it just take the highest?

Omnipod bonuses stack.

This is why it can be a terrible idea to run the Dire Wolf Prime arms. That's a huge nerf to laser cool down.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Willfrey posted:

Breaking news: Atlas S is a good mech

These are just the handful of matches I remembered to press print screen on

not shown: The countless matches where I run in first and get butt raped

Try the D-DC if you want to be a ninja atlas.

• Locked thread