Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So, the goon units still alive in this game? And if so, who should i shout at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I don't get the goon hate on the Shadowhawk. It's silly high shoulder mounts make it an amazing hillhumper. With my 5M dual UAC5/ERPPC I regularly break 1k dmg/drop with it, unless a brawler berserk charges me. and even then, if i see em coming i can put some serious hurt down before they close on me. Plus the 2D2 really does make a great brawler. Superior to griffin imo.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Their height is definitely an issue (especially on the brawler. if you can't close distance cleanly you'll be dead before you ever engage), but it's actually sort of an asset on hillhumper builds. Allows you to hump steeper cover more easily. Even small buildings or cliffs that wouldnt be possible on shorter mechs (if you play your angles right). Plus, nobody EVER goes for the legs on a SHD due to its big ol torso hitbox. Makes its really easy to strip out a little leg armor to buff up your shield side or pick up a bit of extra ammo.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

Side question tho how the heck did you fit a ppc AND 2 uac5 on the 5m?? How slow were you going? That was the model I was kind of struggling with to make work, and I ended up wishing I'd picked another shadow hawk, even with the jam chance bonus.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=112&l=21f606531308f518360593132970019bed91bd32

I don't worry about stripping down the leg armor because in all the time it took me to fully master it out, i got legged out exactly twice. Heat gen only becomes an issue if you're blasting the PPC by the cd, which if you're hillhumping, you're not.
I use the ER instead of a standard because It actually surprises the hell out of most lights who get close when they get slammed in the face by it. For some reason the arm movement is surprisingly quick so it's easy to peg strafing lights, even if you can't line up the UACs.
Also if you're not worried about LRMs you can swap out the AMS for an extra ton of UAC ammo.

TheParadigm posted:

The other quirks own tho. Weapons and durability in particular. There's one with 25 percent ballistic cd and 3 shoulder ballistic. You can triple ac2 it, and the energy model can run triple lpl if you stretch a bit. If you like tbolts, give it a shot.

I love popping people with the 2H. Trip AC5 in that shoulder you can just ruin anyone that tries to close to brawling range on you. Trip AC2 with SRMs backing it is scary as hell too.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:stare: That's slower than a DireWolf. I guess dropping the AMS and a half ton of UAC ammo is worth 10 kph (or not): SHD-5M

Hey, I never said it was quick, just that it ruined poo poo. It's definitely a rear line sniper. But if I want something quicker i just take my 2D2 or 2H.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Is it just me or would Swarm LRMs actually make attacking winnable in invasion? I mean, defenders have such a massive advantage it's not even funny atm. But if you could just coat their firing position (where there's inevitably 8 of them stacked up) in swarms you could do some serious damage.
It would also discourage the current meta of "stack 12 brawlers up within 90m of eachother and faceroll in".

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 16, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

The sad truth is invasion is just hugely unbalanced in favor of defense, and thats not changing any time soon.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

While that WAS a glorious column of missile rain, hard countered if they have any weapons that go past 1100m.
...though i do admit to wanting to make that 100lrm stalker just for lulz.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

How do you feel about super-heavy Mechs? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1697#post462709390

Though this is Tabletop Armor, so everything needs x2. Don't know wether it needs another x2 due to being hardened Armor. Alternatively, there are indeed super heavy tanks in BT lore.

mood: annoyed.
I don't think I would want to annoy that. :ohdear:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

If you're willing to forsake such luxuries as armour and stick to 100% indirect fire (hence no TAG), you can actually go about as fast as a Direwolf: STK-5M

Armor is for the weak! If you can't accept being killed in a single alpha by the first light to get within 600m of you, then you're not really living.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I give up. I'm never getting 3 more clan lights. I'm sick of seeing 4 stupid streakcrows and I don't care about the zeus.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

So, I happened to get really lucky in 1 match and get all the light KMDDs i needed for my Zeus. This thing looks like an unmitigated trainwreck at first glance. Is it as bad as i think it is?

e: I'm trying really hard to make this thing not garbage, but it's just so... eugch. it doesn't have enough hardpoints spread around to missile boat it, its way too short on energy to make it a viable laser warrior, it cant fit an AC20 on its only ballistic points, so it's not going to live up as a brawler (especially against other assaults), it's hardpoints are SO low on it's MASSIVE body that it's going to get ruined long range, and it's armor values are all over the drat place.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Beraiye posted:

exactly. so we end up going up against teams that are willing to throw matches as long as we let them farm our light mechs first. it really did just ruin the experience for me.

that was actually really depressing. but not as depressing as running 30 matches in a row against 4 streakcrows.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

yeah they're legit scary. Flamers can mitigate them a bit, but any Godhand/Doombud Crows need their legs taken off ASAP

am I the only one that kinda has trouble hitting a crow's legs consistently? they're weirdly skinny.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Just blow their tits off, i dont bother with legs just rip their torsos to bits while flaming their heat into oblivion and laughing loudly.

(Use the hunchback 4sp with 2 flamers 2 SRM6A)

Yeah, thats what i decided on. As much as i am a fan of legging things, screw it with crows. All in the tits.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

As terrible as the 12tons of locked junk on the EXE-C are, I'm having a ball with it in quickplay with 3ERLL and 10ERSL. 416-1683m, LL punishment. Close on me and see how hard I can REALLY hit.
I'll never consider it a high-end mech, but lol it's fun.

Also, every Night Jerk I've seen thus far decided the smart move was to facerush me. That did not end well for them after i put 180dmg center torso.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

It's a shame the jumpjets are so worthless- you can't even get on top of the citadel in the middle of river city with them, and that's only about 1.5x the height of the mech itself. Because four tons for MASC is a fantastic deal on this mech, but the eight tons for JJs are just wasted tonnage. I guess what I really want is a Spirit Bear, but no loving way am I giving PGI that much money.

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'd keep the masc if i could change that stuff. It certainly has it's uses. But the JJs are just painful. i could do SO MUCH with 8 more tons on that mech. Gotta try the godhands build on it for giggles. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est un pomme de terre.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

Mais ceci n'est pas une pipe.

I mean, four tons isn't much to a 95 ton mech, and being able to do almost 90 with speed tweak, accelerate and decelerate instantly, and turn to match any light is worth it for that price to me.

The drat thing does dance in the right hands. I can outmaneuver slower mediums. I actually am finding that abusing those oddly high chest mounts for poke (I like 3 1700m ERLLs) and then just bitchslapping anyone that gets close with that right hand is disturbingly effective. You better know how to use that MASC though, or you are utterly boned.

e: heh, just tried stacking quad LBX-2 with 500 rounds of ammo and going dakka. disturbingly effective right up until I hit some sort of weird bug. Lost my right arm and all my guns became unfireable. For reference, spread was 1RA, 2RT, 1LA, ammo LT.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 21, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

So tired of aimbotters. Yeah, I'm sure you could land dual gauss in my head at 1200m while i was moving diagonally at 84kph. Clearly you're just that good.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

ehhhh, it generally helps way more with lasers than it does with weapons with a travel time

sometimes you just get a lucky headshot

yeah, watched the guy score another 4 cross-map headshots in the same game. doubt it was lucky.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

So this has become my new favorite assault hands down.
EXE-C Laser Smackdown
Also, I've found you can get alot more out of the jumpjets if you MASC into the jump and let the momentum carry you.

Doing pretty well with it too. (Only screenshotted last 2 matches)

Would never take it on an invasion though. Would be a flaming trainwreck.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

You can do 3 AC/2 with high mounts on this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=f4c7e80c1f5893b47f731a4f0d050bd193704469

25% ballistic cooldown and 10% velocity, so not half-bad

I actually run mine slightly slower, but with a STD engine and more armor on the arms for shielding. I find that running the AC2 dakka you're GOING to be taking some return fire, and having deadside mitigation helps alot.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=4a473b3bf625de08be93f30535f309a43844ddda

If you want to really make people go "but... why?" you could always grab a dragon.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=23&l=f6cb19a0a9914edfcf0a101583377a170869e381
I mean, it's a terrible idea. Just god-awful. But it theoretically sorta works I guess.
e: please don't do this. I will cry.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 24, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

man, I remember for like two months when the DRG-1N had 50% cooldown quirks on AC/5s.

Combine that with modules and you were looking at like a 62% cooldown reduction, which meant that despite a) all the firepower being in a low arm mount b) that required you to stare at the enemy c) with your humongous center torso, the -1N was actually a good robot

then they nerfed the cooldown rate -- and this will absolutely shock you -- and I haven't seen more than two or three -1Ns since

probably people that left when it was still good and came back to play without checking if those quirks had changed.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I just spent most of a match spectating a Kodiak who never once fired his UAC10. Started with 180 rounds, ended with 180 rounds. also, his LL was only fired under 400m.
Three of us were yelling at him on voice to no avail.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I just played a couple hours of quickplay today and managed to complete every challenge except the NG kmdd. Just didnt run into any today.
Pretty easy free stuff this time around.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Woo, got my Ace of Spades title. In quick play no less!
That enemy team really hated me.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

That was my main point. It is super obvious when it happens. That being said, I ACTUALLY GOT SOMETHING DECENT OUT OF A SUPPLY CACHE.

I got another hamster huey. Last huey drat near died from asphyxiation, he needs a break.

Dual uac20, triple mpl is good stuff on the Night Gyr. Shame you can't put normal 20s or lbx in it though.

The customizability in many clanmechs genuinely confuses me. Like, in half of them you can strip out arm actuators for additional slots (obv, at the cost of functionality). But others, nope! Because then you might put an lbx20 in a night gyr and we don't want that.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

It only has an upper arm actuator, so there's nothing to strip out. The problem with the Gyr is that it has a shitton of locked armor/structure due to having ferro and endo.

Ah, fair enough. tbh I haven't spent any actual time looking at the Night Gyr. I know it's rough specs but not really any more.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Didn't know that. Figured that'd be the easy way to get AoS and Death Star.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Whams and Black Knights are both tough and good. I would suggest either of those before diving into and getting frustrated with Orions or Phracts.

I like my Orion-IIC, does that count? XL 300, 4 LPL, Target Comp, 26DHS. burn it all!

sidenote: was playing it today while some idiot spectating was yelling at me because "youre not even hitting them! youre too far away! your lasers only go to 700m! see? it says so on your hud!"
I repeatedly am amazed by some of the people that play this game.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 27, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Yes a tunnel map and a true urban map. Model it after a terrible city like Phoenix AZ.

And allow us to crush small buildings in our way. Screw that city.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

So I just witnessed something odd, but wierdly effective. Night Gyr jumpsniper with dual ERPPC and a gauss rifle.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

genuinely thought i was watching a shadowcat at first then went, "wait, that not the shc hardpoint config. wait, is that a gauss? what the hell? this is a night gyr?!?"

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Skoll posted:

Yes, let's sell mechs of canon pilots who all drove stock configurations.

Doubly baffling because there are a bunch of custom variants of these mechs driven by canon pilots.
Like the Dire Wolf could've easily been a Hohiro or Widowmaker or Prometheus. Assuming they're staying away from the variants that have weapons that aren't in MWO like HAGs or Swarm LRMs.

e: Anyone have any suggestions for which heavy i should go buy 3 variants of? I got alot of cbills and might as well while they're on sale. Already mastered out the Orion-IIC.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I suggest overheating and dying horribly. Like you have a choice.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

According to the team I was just in, you can't spell teamwork without 7 shots of tequila.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I'd be down to roll with you guys. I'll supply the booze. To myself. Alot of it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

This is pretty much the whole reason I own a bar.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Like driving to the north pole. International waters baby! It's sailing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Why do people like the warham? theyre all ppc quirked, except one is clearly way better at it, and theyre so easy to hit even half a map away.
eliting these is going to be a slog unless i get real inventive.
e: i are a stupid. i just realized with these hardpoints i can deadside this thing.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2016

• Locked thread