Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
With the quirk passes, my Cicada -3F doesn't need to be married to ERPPCs anymore. Would it be better to replace them with LPLs and tickle my wubby bones, or does anyone have a -3F build that they want to pimp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Maybe the reason they put what was essentially XML tweaks down the list was probably a mentality of "Ah, we'll get to those eventually because they're so simple. For now, let's work on this new and time-consuming :circlefap: project!"

Maybe. :shobon:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Comedy build: 6xLRM5 w/CAP.

Hey, if you're going to have fun, may as well be an rear end in a top hat about it. :iamafag:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

If you spent the money to get your Clan Jenner early you may as well make the most of it and Have Fun. :shepspends:

(I didn't)

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm considering getting a SCR-D next and loading it with SRMs for brawling. Is there any real advantage to running Artemis on dumbfire C-SRM6s? Is the reduced spread noticeable if you're just treating the SRMs as shotguns? Non-streak SRMs don't lock on at all so the lockon bonuses would be wasted, right?

How many tons of ammo would you need for six C-SRM6s for your average ~7mn game?

Artemis noticeably tightens the spread so you can get more missiles into a single part. Since many robots have structure buffs it's nice to be able to concentrate the majority of your power to where you want to hit.

As for how much ammo, it depends on how fast and loose you tend to spew missiles. If you're conservative and pick your targets, you can probably get away with less ammo and use the extra tonnage for something else. It's something you'd want to play a few games to find out.

I played again on Bad Mechs with Bad Builds (if you see a blue Awesome-8T with four LPLs, that's probably me). I had lots of fun trolling the voting screens and picking the most unvoted/least desirable options. :laugh:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Vorenus posted:

That is my absolute favorite bad build. I use an XL375 for extra terribleness.

I'd slot an XL for fun, but since the engine limit of an -8T is 300, there's no reason not to go standard. :smith:

Sometimes I'd go 2xLPL, 3xMPL, optional BAP. The MPLs need to go on the left arm because of the lower hardpoints.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Random Number posted:

E: Try the 8Q awesome with 2 lpl in the arm, mpl everywhere else. Std 300 and as many heatsink as you can fit. It's hitboxes are bad but it will ruin a mother fucker.

Well, now. :getin:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Anticheese posted:

The Clan Wolf skin, combined with Marik colours, is incredible for looking pink and fabulous on the battlefield.

I've been introducing myself loudly as Commander Anticheese of the Word of Lowtax, driving the pink whatever. It's great.

Tipping my hat to you, good sir. :squawk:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Damned by faint praise indeed.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Ballistic weapons deliver their damage up front. An Inner Sphere AC/5 will shoot a projectile that delivers 5 damage on impact, no questions asked. Clan ballistics, for the most part, spread their damage number over multiple projectiles, so they are more dakka-y than their IS versions. Ballistics are also the coolest, heat-wise (though aesthetic-wise also works :v:), so you can get away with using single heat sinks on a ballistic build. This is balanced by ballistics having projectile speed/time to impact, so you need to lead your shots if firing at a moving target; nasty tonnage/space requirements, often limiting what you can load on your robot; and being prone to exploding due to ammo (or an explosive Gauss Rifle).

Energy weapons, like lasers, often have a "burn time", or laser duration. That's how long a laser is active to deliver its full load of damage. They are hitscan so you will hit what's under your reticule, but if you're not good at keeping on target you will do less damage to the intended component and/or spread that damage around to other components. Energy weapons also generate ungodly amounts of heat that practically necessitate double heat sinks. Still, they don't cost ammo and if your aim is good you won't miss ballistics.

PPCs are the oddball in that they operate more like ballistics, except trading off the space/tonnage/ammo drawbacks for heat, lots of heat.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

The Vindicator and the Blackjack are the only 45t robots I can recall off the top of my head.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I'm the one with the MechWarrior 3 book and I forgot that. :cripes:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I spent last night robutting. The 6xAC/2 King Crab was dumb but fun.

I hated Novas, but I have the D lying around so I dusted it off, gave it two godhands of small lasers and played around. Balancing the fire rate without spiking myself to shutdown is nearly as fun as drilling off body parts every time I laserpunch someone.

I had to downgrade the 360 to a 350 on my Atlas to fit an LBX-10. Jumped a Direwolf and ate it.

And others.

Bawk.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Addendum to the above: If you already have a robut targeted, hitting R again will cycle to the next robut you can target. That may be what happened to Nuebot. :shobon:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Gotta say, finding a working build for the loyalty Wolverine is like pulling teeth.

The MASC is marvellous, though.

EDIT: This is what I've ended up with. It's best used in conjunction with other robots with bigger guns to take full advantage of damaged armor and insides.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 21, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Timber = 100
Ebon Jag = 65
Mad Dog = 60
Cheetah = 30

Totals at 255, and current dropship can carry 250.
So either 5 tons off the timber, or ditch the jag... OR the next dropship can carry 5 tons extra?

If you have a stormcrow, you could replace the mad dog with that. :shobon:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

Ammo in your head and no head armour? Good luck with that.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah, take some armor off the left arm and put it in the head. I think you need a minimum of 16 head armor to avoid a one-shot headcap from dual gauss

I die far more often to being legged and/or cored than a headcap. The only robuts I have with head armor are assaults since they can't get away from artillery strikes as easily, and so far in my case the only times I get head damage are from artillery and Hail Mary laser grazes.

I also don't CW so there's that.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Always climb hills/inclines at an angle. On stubborn hills, alternating left+right helps.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Hi goons, it was fun playing with/against you guys last night. One of those matches finally got me that Centurion so yay? :confuoot:

-Losing With Style

Bait and Swatch posted:

That pubbies melt down at the end was great though.

"Why are you running away? You need to engage the match is about to end and he is out of Gauss ammo."

"NO DAD, YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP! YOURE LIKE A BACKSEAT DRIVER AND poo poo!!!"

*Match end in draw

Ahahaha, did that really happen? :allears:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

It would still be great if C-bill earnings were tweaked up some more. Getting only ~150k on a decent-good match, then comparing it to the costs of everything else, makes for a terrible grind. :smith:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Sard posted:

Not really. Use a mechlab program or website, make something vaguely workable, then go use it. Unless you are dead-set on being another insufferable statlord for this thread (or) in tier 1 and somehow only ever facing other high-effort tier 1 players, you'll be able to find enough success to have fun with just about anything. Look at all the posts lately from people enjoying Urbies. Pubbies are bad and anything that can do any damage will work against them.

Is there even anyone at tier 1?

You do have a point and I suppose my issue is just a personal thing, as I liked playing with robots to see what works, sometimes. Some layouts work, some don't, and climbing back to a financially alright state after experimenting was a pain in the butt since I don't like to poopsock often. Maybe that's why I'm never loaded with money. :v:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 25, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Buy the cheapest ones, swap omnipods you like, have fun.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Hey, freaky-but-sincere question: Does TAG laser improve (regular) SRM grouping? I got some dude absolutely convinced it does, and I'm...skeptical, to say the least. :geno:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

There's the 3xSRM4+AC20 with an XL running around. Since this Cent doesn't have any CT lasers there's little point in being a zombie.

I've also played a 3xASRM6+3MG but uh that's more comedy than anything. In fact, you can just dump the MGs entirely if that's the route you're going to take. It does give you enough room to stuff a standard engine so the entire right side can be used to shield.

EDIT: With the build I linked, you can add Ferro-Fibrous armor and trim 2 more armor points off somewhere to add another ton or ammo. Or armor up some parts and add only a half-ton of ammo! :yayclod:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 27, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Pooncha posted:

There's the 3xSRM4+AC20 with an XL running around. Since this Cent doesn't have any CT lasers there's little point in being a zombie.

I've also played a 3xASRM6+3MG but uh that's more comedy than anything. In fact, you can just dump the MGs entirely if that's the route you're going to take. It does give you enough room to stuff a standard engine so the entire right side can be used to shield.

EDIT: With the build I linked, you can add Ferro-Fibrous armor and trim 2 more armor points off somewhere to add another ton or ammo. Or armor up some parts and add only a half-ton of ammo! :yayclod:

It's okay. There are better Cents to be had, but it's a free `Mech so yay? :confuoot:

You're slow but tanky for a medium, so I'd suggest playing it as a force multiplier.

Also, I've been in Tier 3 since tiers were implemented. Trust me, you'll still find plenty of the :downs: Gallery to shoot at amongst some of the more competitive dudes.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Axetrain posted:

So something like this then ?

Although that's alot of C-Bills for a "free" mech.

Yeah, but with an XL255. Stuff the ammo in the head/legs and that's about right.

If you're short on money, here's a stock-engine version. Slow as rear end, so you'll have to be careful.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Smurfy's mechlab seems down right now. Getting a 503.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

IIRC the non-ECM commandos can go even faster?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

A SDR-5V with 2 MPLs and an STD engine (and fitting in 3 jets too!) was the dumbest thing I made. It made getting kills/blowing off limbs with it all the funnier. :iamafag:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

So I came back to this game recently after being away for a long time and I found a random centurion ah(l) with a sweet custom paint job in my mech lab that I have no recollection of buying, anyways I decided to outfit it with some random poo poo off the top of my head and ended up with 3 srm6s /w Artemis and 3 machine guns. I thought it would be a kinda of funny joke build for a few matches but it's actually super fun and good. If I want to pursue something similar what would be some good options? I was looking at maybe the Griffins or stormcrows but I'm not 100% sure what the opinions on those mechs are.

The Centurion is there because you spent money on the game somewhen. I personally like mine without the MGs and use the extra weight for either a bigger engine or more ammunition/armour.

Stormcrows are as good as ever, though if you like the IS side Griffins are the new hot thing.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I think the only Cents that seriously use their gun arm is the Cent-D (which has fantastic LB-X10 quirks), the Cent-AL, and the Yen-Lo-Wang. The meta for the others are usually SRMs, like the AH you have, with a pair of MLs in the CT to zombie if their missile side gets shot off. Don't fire the MLs when you can still fire missiles.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I'm not sure what hand actuators actually do, but having lower arm actuators lets you move your arms from side to side as well as up and down. With upper arm actuators, you can only pitch your arms up and down.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Kit Foxes have jumpjets. :confused:

But I will echo the sentiment that ballistics on lights are a waste of space, unless you're a trashcan or a gimmick build.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Blackjacks were the first robot type I mastered before quirks came along. :shobon: They were always pretty good, in my opinion.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Commoners posted:

I'm trying to make the awesome a good mech and may have made a few potential breakthroughs involving spamming the poo poo out of large pulse lasers. The big challenge is getting that particular variant to elite so I can use it.

I mastered the Awesome using the -8Q, the -8T, and the -8R.

The Q used the 4x PPC build until that got scaled back a little (I now use either 2xPPC+2xLPL, or 2xPPC/LPL+5xMPL), but oneshotting some mechs with an alpha never gets old. :laugh:

-8T could be handled with 4x LPL (I prefer this one), 2xLPL+3xMPL, 5xMPL 2xASRM6, or 5xMPL 2xLRM15. For the last build, don't be a bad and hang back; you are supposed to advance while firing the lurms. They're there to piss off targets out of wub range, but once they're in range or you're out of missiles, switch to wubbing. The cooldown quirks are downright insane.

For the -8R I did something like 2xLL/LPL 4xASRM4 (or 4xASRM6, depending). You can't facetime like an Atlas, but you make pretty good fire support and the missile quirks make you nasty. Don't stuff it with LRM15s despite the quirks for it.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

He's just doing an experiment to see how hard he can tank his ratings.

Right? :laugh:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Builds like those make me wish Stackpoling was a thing. :smith:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

Tier 3 isn't so bad, you guys

Tier 3 is the magical melting pot of tryhards, gimmicks, and bads.

I once saw an Executioner with nothing but flamers. I don't remember how many, but it was at least 9, if not more.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

don't confuse being bad with Having Fun.

Because they're exactly the same thing. only bads have fun.

I love to have fun.
You fall under "gimmicks". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

It'd be funny if everyone using cheats has a big red DISHONORABLE sign over their head that shows through walls and remains even if they're dead or out of range.

Hey, the MechWarrior games did it, may as well stay true to game canon. :iamafag:

• Locked thread