Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

... wait, wait...

There we go.

Rules
FAQ

What?

Dungeon Lords is Vladaa's decidedly subversive take on worker placement, not just because you're an evil dungeon keeper out to capture heroes and build fiendish traps - bureaucracy is your enemy at every turn, at the very least because it insists on taxing and hindering your efforts whenever it rears its head. Recruit imps, send them out to buy traps and dig tunnels and hire monsters, then defend your fine dungeon against a meddling party of adventurers through efficient and clever planning and use of your resources.

A tight design means that players are going to be fighting over placements a lot, while a risk-reward system benefits those who don't immediately rush a given spot while punishing those who take too long or don't pay attention to what their opponents can and can't do on a given turn. When it comes to fending off an adventurer the game becomes more of a puzzle than anything else - and true to that, the training scenarios are quite literally a set of premade encounters that challenge you to beat them as efficiently as possible.

It's a great game, and I'm hoping I can do it justice.

So what's the plan?
  • This will be a full game, using the base set with full rules. As such, Special Event cards are in, Recruiting costs Gold if in the first slot, etc.
  • I haven't run Dungeon Lords before so I can't quite speak to how the organization is going to go, but if you have any ideas for houserules that will make running easier I'm all ears.
  • Speaking of which, the Combat phases will be run simultaneously unless people start loving with evil enough to make the paladin move around, in which case I'll pause.
  • Off-turn posting and COs are allowed. Shittalking, especially, is totally okay.
  • Audience posting is allowed, as ever, but I'd like to ask that people only point out mechanical mistakes and not give players more efficient ways to run their turn - the game kind of lives and dies on how well players do that themselves!
Recruiting
  • I'm looking for four players.
  • As this is my first try at the game, I'd prefer people who know the game. It means more double-checking.
  • You must have PMs. Dungeon Lords has less secret info than the other games I've run, but still has some.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hoursish, whereupon selection will be by random draw.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day. I think this might be pretty quick, but as with any new game bear with me while I get the workflow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sure. No festival season?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Sure. No festival season?

Maybe once I've got the hang of running the game, but it's been ages since I played it so it's a bit safer this way. I also haven't got a source for Festival Season's tiles, though someone offered to help with that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'M IN gently caress YES ##nugget reporting for duty! ETC GONNA TALK A BUNCH OF poo poo AND TRY TO PISS PEOPLE OFF BUSINESS AS USUAL PRE-EMPTIVELY VOTED 5 COME AT ME

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

I'M IN gently caress YES ##nugget reporting for duty! ETC GONNA TALK A BUNCH OF poo poo AND TRY TO PISS PEOPLE OFF BUSINESS AS USUAL PRE-EMPTIVELY VOTED 5 COME AT ME
You can't gently caress with me BL, I know all your tricks.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

You can't gently caress with me BL, I know all your tricks.

You're a bitch, Tekopo! I think you're a fuckin' bitch!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Hey Tekopo?

A bitch called!

I picked up the phone, it was you

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I bet you gonna do a low evil strat because you are afraid of those big mean heroes

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i don't need no compensatory big dick paladin to prove to everybody how awesome i am. i'm broken loving loose!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm up for it

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Im in

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not in but I'll be here to poo poo on everyone's hopes and dreams to the best of my ability.

which isn't very because wtf is this game

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Stelas, you already know I'm going to be playing. You don't even have to roll the dice. It's inevitable. It's always been inevitable.

## Prepare my things. I expect my throne room to be furnished by tomorrow morning.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

which isn't very because wtf is this game

If this is a serious question: it's a worker placement where you're building a dungeon and hiring monsters to go in it. The more evil you are, the bigger and nastier adventurers you attract - but you know who's going to be attacking you (mostly) ahead of time, so there's an element of specific planning as to how you use your traps and monsters to deal with them. No dice, just raw numbers.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's an engine building game where every so often Dirk the Daring comes in and kicks your engine in the dick.

I would totally be in if I had PMs, alas.

Frikkin Stelas and being the only reason I'd want to get Platinum mutter mumble

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tendales posted:

It's an engine building game where every so often Dirk the Daring comes in and kicks your engine in the dick.

I would totally be in if I had PMs, alas.

it's tenbux and pretty much required for anything in tg c'mon mang.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Stelas posted:

Maybe once I've got the hang of running the game, but it's been ages since I played it so it's a bit safer this way. I also haven't got a source for Festival Season's tiles, though someone offered to help with that.

I can probably scan those and get them to you in January.

Also in Dungeon Lords owns a million

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I bet you gonna do a low evil strat because you are afraid of those big mean heroes

MAX EVIL GET PALADIN NEVER LOSE A TILE

That's how i roll, son. I'm so good my demons kill paladins.

My ghosts are so scary they attack the front

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tendales posted:

Sorry! I did consider removing that restriction, but a) there is still a little secret knowledge in Dungeon Lords, b) it's just too useful a way to poke slow people.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Sweet, another Stelas PBP. I still haven't gotten to play my anniversary edition of this.

If you do need scans, I can also help with that in the next few days just let me know.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm playing a BaJ game of it otherwise I might.

Certainly following, this is like the best game. Literally one of my favorite games in the world, only topped by a few wargames and abstracts really.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

Players are drawn!

burger time is Yellow!
Istvun is Blue!
Broken Loose is Red!
Tekopo is Green!

burger time is the nicest player for not trashtalking anyone or boasting in their signup, and scores first place.

4 Combat Cards are drawn. Traps are shuffled. Initial card draws sent out.

Action Queue
- All players: choose your Unusable Cards for the first round.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Now that I have a lead prepare to lose, losers

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'm yellow and I'm gonna piss all over the ruined walls of your pisspoor dungeons

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
w-wowwwww

you should totally lose your smiley face for that, rude-o

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't see an evil icon there so clearly it doesn't raise.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
:qq:

Good luck, you awful bastards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

YEAR 1, ROUND 1

burger time locks Dig Tunnels / Improve Reputation.
Istvun locks Dig Tunnels / Get Food.
Broken Loose locks Recruit Imps / Get Food.
Tekopo locks Improve Reputation / Get Food.

3 Monsters are drawn: Troll, Witch, and Ghost.

2 Rooms are drawn: Workshop, Magic Room.

Adventurers are drawn!

The first event is revealed as Payday!

Action Queue
- All players: PM me your three cards for the round.
- Please include the round number in the subject of your PM!
- To clarify: the turn order below is the order in which cards will be revealed / the start token will move.

burger time (Yellow)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Dig / Reputation | Monsters: None!

Istvun (Blue)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Dig / Food | Monsters: None!

Broken Loose (Red)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Imps / Food | Monsters: None!

Tekopo (Green)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Reputation / Food | Monsters: None!

Stelas fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 7, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TIMG or not TIMG? I mean it's only 1024 across but maybe in the year 2015 people might still care about that?

I'm not including descriptions of rooms or monsters this time around, at least. By and large, if you're not sure what's going on, the glyphs roughly indicate what's up and all will become much clearer at the end of the year when Combat happens. That said, if any spectators are utterly lost, please feel free to chime in! The game will have fairly large update posts and only shittalking and tutorials to space them out.

Organization-wise I think there's going to be the start-of-round post, then one revealing which cards were played and where people's minions are, then one after people have confirmed they're willing to pay a given set of costs. This seems like it might be lengthy but there's so many situations you might not want to pay a cost I don't want to stick on a blanket 'I'll execute this for you' statement.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 7, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Fuckapotamus. Did we seriously lock a total of 4 actions among the 4 of us? This is going to get ugly with extra uggles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stelas posted:

TIMG or not TIMG? I mean it's only 1024 across but maybe in the year 2015 people might still care about that?
Not TIMG works fine for me :munch:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Fuckapotamus. Did we seriously lock a total of 4 actions among the 4 of us? This is going to get ugly with extra uggles.
All your actions locked out, like tears in the rain.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Not TIMG works fine for me :munch:

Ditto, as a fellow kibbitzer. Also three rogues and the trap room. Good start. Go, Stelas, you evil penguin, you.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Broken Loose posted:

Look maybe you should have locked bad actions instead of good ones ever think of that, hmmmm?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So I'm not entirely sure how to do this post, but given the way actions resolve top-left to bottom-right, I think it's best if I just display the board and then let you guys work out any fiddly bits like waiting to see if someone else actually activates the 1st space / takes your preferred monster between yourselves. I'm not sure how I'd do this any other way without it being hugely slow.

burger time reveals Trap, Mine, Imps.
Istvun reveals Room, Monster, Reputation.
Broken Loose reveals Reputation, Monster, Room.
Tekopo reveals Mine, Dig, Imps.

Action Queue
- All players: Confirm your actions / any specifics (i.e. which Combat Card to peek, Monster to buy, etc). Bear in mind hiring and buying Rooms go backwards!

burger time (Yellow)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Dig / Reputation | Monsters: None!

Istvun (Blue)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Dig / Food | Monsters: None!

Broken Loose (Red)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Imps / Food | Monsters: None!

Tekopo (Green)
Imps: 3/3 | Food: 3 | Gold: 3 | Traps: 0 | Captures: 0 | Blocked Actions: Reputation / Food | Monsters: None!

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 8, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Use 1 imp to dig below the three tunnels and 1 imp to dig left of the entrance, get gold with remaining imp.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Mine with 3 imps... Get money get paid

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also if you guys don't mention a specific action I will assume you want to do it!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll hire all the monsters and get both rooms and be the happiest man in the land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So we're aaaat...

Action Queue
- Broken Loose: Choose monster to hire, room to buy + location, Combat Card to peek
- Istvun: Choose monster to hire and room location.

• Locked thread