Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Arden
Feb 19, 2004

Mind over fatter, bitches!

Alex P Corn posted:

That's some Red Green poo poo right there.

That channel is the epitome of red green. One of my favorite Youtube channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

djdanno13 posted:

I would probably suggest the Hobart 140. Runs off of 110 and make sure you pick up some argon gas to go with it. Don't ever ever use that Flux core poo poo if you can help it. I think I had roughly $700 in my whole setup by the time I was done but my memory might be fuzzy.
Yeah no kidding on the flux core wire. That's like "oh poo poo" last resort before stick welding using a car battery for a power source.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah no kidding on the flux core wire. That's like "oh poo poo" last resort before stick welding using a car battery for a power source.

Im pretty sure you'd get a better weld using some 6010 and a couple of car batteries in series than flux core bullshit wire.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Flux core wire produces a perfectly fine, strong weld with good characteristics as long as it's used right. The biggest downside to flux core is how much cleaning has to be done to the finished weld.

It's also a lot cheaper and more convenient to get into using for most people than having to buy or rent gas tanks. Solid and flux core both have their place.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Well my Flux core wire deposited a ton of Flux on the drive wheel of my mig and made my gas welding look like poo poo and had me tearing out my hair wondering wtf went wrong for weeks till I finally figured it out. YMMV

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

rifles posted:

Flux core wire produces a perfectly fine, strong weld with good characteristics as long as it's used right. The biggest downside to flux core is how much cleaning has to be done to the finished weld.

It's also a lot cheaper and more convenient to get into using for most people than having to buy or rent gas tanks. Solid and flux core both have their place.

Flux core belongs in the garbage

Also, bottle rental is really cheap in my area so maybe I'm spoiled.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

get an old Victor torch handle, some cheap tips, and a pair of tanks, set your problems on fire until they are solved

unless they're made out of aluminum, nobody can solve aluminum problems, it's physically impossible

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Personally I am more likely to end up cutting if I use a oxy-acetalyne setup.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

get an old Victor torch handle, some cheap tips, and a pair of tanks, set your problems on fire until they are solved

unless they're made out of aluminum, nobody can solve aluminum problems, it's physically impossible

Pfft, AC Tig will sort you out.

Actually, this machine is probably the best bang for the buck going right now for a Tig. They've updated the model each year for the past two years and have finally added all the features to make it go head to head with multi thousand dollar Millers (in all respects except probably duty cycle).

http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-.../dp/B00REX6USW/

They have an equally impressive MIG machine coming out "soon." There's a youtube of a guy playing with a pre-release model and it looks pretty sweet.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Pfft, AC Tig will sort you out.

Actually, this machine is probably the best bang for the buck going right now for a Tig. They've updated the model each year for the past two years and have finally added all the features to make it go head to head with multi thousand dollar Millers (in all respects except probably duty cycle).

http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-.../dp/B00REX6USW/

They have an equally impressive MIG machine coming out "soon." There's a youtube of a guy playing with a pre-release model and it looks pretty sweet.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. Do you know anyone with experience with these things?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Goddammit. Stop posting things I can't afford and don't have room for...

What's the best way to learn? Get a used stick welder on Craigslist and some scrap metal and make sculptures?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

What's the best way to learn? Get a used stick welder on Craigslist and some scrap metal and make sculptures?

I took a night class. Nothing quite like an old welder grabbing your hands while you're running a bead to show you how to do it right.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

stealie72 posted:

my local community college had a bunch of decent courses to teach technique and then mostly just practice and the occasional Youtube video when I wanted to try something weird. I wish they offered anything like that for lathe/millwork I'd probably go back every semester

you probably want a guy who knows how to make a structurally sound weld showing you the basics so you at least know what to look for and have a basic grasp of how metal works, most of the 'art' welders I've run into just melt the poo poo out of rebar in a way where they're adding a hundred pounds of filler but the joint'll still snap right off with a light push. My beads still look like poo poo but they'll hold and I'm decent enough with heat control that I've got some big spheres of brazed-together casings I made when I was bored, and some heavy press frames and the like lying around where my welds were the last bit to get hosed up

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Miso Beno posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. Do you know anyone with experience with these things?

Personally? Nope. But I have had my eye on them for the past couple years and I'd say that maybe 1 in 10 had any complaints. Most complaints had to do with crappy packed in accessories like the gas valve, but they've listened to customer feedback and improved both the machine and the accessories. I'll probably be grabbing one this year since they've added in AC frequency and improved pulse control in this years model, both features I've been waiting for. It's made in China but still well built.

You may want to wait a bit, the machine just came off sale at $640 like a month ago. There's no rhyme or reason as to when they discount the machine so if you don't need it right away you might keep an eye out for a sale. I have never seen it cost more than $800 shipped, which still seems like a great deal to me.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Miso Beno posted:

I took a night class. Nothing quite like an old welder grabbing your hands while you're running a bead to show you how to do it right.

Ohhhhhh
my love,
my darling,
I've hungered for your touch....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I'm hearing this in the voice of Scruffy the janitor. Am I doing it right?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Still processing, gonna need some time on this one.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

Miso Beno posted:

Nothing quite like an old welder grabbing your hands while you're running a bead to show you how to do it right.

e: actually, this would have been a good case for flux core (eww), trying to stick 1/4" plate with .030 wire and ALL THE AMPS

why in the gently caress with all the instructions and warnings stickers all over on this dang welder there's no duty cycle listed!!

just looked it up now, 30% boooo

when yer halfway though the backside and brown out

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 20, 2016

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Lathespin.gif posted:

when yer halfway though the backside and brown out

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...

Grimey Drawer

i have developed an unhealthy addiction to the Woodwrights Shop and now have a couple of hand planes, some saws, chisels and some kind of foldable workbech thing in my spare bedroom.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

I'm just going to put this here because I've been looking forward to it since July.

Lathespin.gif posted:

I should really finish turning that mortar someday...

PEW PEW PEW

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Rhandhali posted:

i have developed an unhealthy addiction to the Woodwrights Shop and now have a couple of hand planes, some saws, chisels and some kind of foldable workbech thing in my spare bedroom.

Planes. You can never have enough planes. Small ones. Big ones. Tiny finger ones. Something about the perfect, effortless curl of wood zipping off a project just makes me all tingly.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Planes. You can never have enough planes. Small ones. Big ones. Tiny finger ones. Something about the perfect, effortless curl of wood zipping off a project just makes me all tingly.

It's hard to explane.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

This punning adze nothing to this thread.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

I don't mind a whittle levity, TBH.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I always like when someone dovetails in some humor now and then.

This time it certainly seems like it was a joint effort.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Lathespin.gif posted:

just looked it up now, 30% boooo

da !@#$!@#$ kind of welder has a 30% duty cycle

Also feel free to add me to the knowledgeable metalworkers stalker list

Here's a doodle I made one afternoon at work. We had a little stub of 1"dia bronze bar stock that was about 3/8" thick. So I made 9 of these

After looking at them for a bit on my desk (and an internet order later)

Earrings!!!

When you get accused of being capable of black magic by a tool and die guy with 30 years of experience it's a good feeling. (yes those are threaded)

Also a surprising source for amazing for the price carbide endmills. https://www.shars.com Be sure you check the "made in the USA" or shars brand end mills. They buy their blanks from Sandvik or Kennametal (size dependant) and grind them in house.

Myself and my prior boss were skeptical of them (He's an SGS z-carb or bust kind of guy) and I'm looking at the prices and scratching my head going "ok what's wrong with them" We bought 3 x 1/2" variable helix end mills with the intention of abusing the poo poo out of them.

Mine finally started to get dull (no chips at all) after squaring/sizing ALL of the 9x39 blocks, plunge helixing all of the bored holes in that project, and squaring up some Inconel 750x blocks (without coolant) You can tell it's not as sharp as it used to be and takes a bit more force to dig in but still runs pretty well.

the one my boss had, squaring and rough profiling a run of 35 stainless plates that are 6x6" footprint (All have slightly different contours on the top... research project *shrug*) It's still sharp although he chipped one tooth.
8"
The other carbide end mills from there held up just as well. The 1/8" stub ball I got for hte 9x39 project contoured ALL of the parts. Doesn't even feel used.

Edit: I should upload more to the 9x39 thread *innocent whistle*

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 23, 2016

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Those would make cool rear end cufflinks if they wouldn't shred anything they came near.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

Those would make cool rear end cufflinks if they wouldn't shred anything they came near.

They're bronze and all of the edges are beveled so it's not grabby at all.

They'd just need scaled up :P

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

shalafi4 posted:

They're bronze and all of the edges are beveled so it's not grabby at all.

They'd just need scaled up :P

Oh and you are some kind of dark wizard arent you?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

shalafi4 posted:

Earrings!!!

I bet you could make some money if you make them out of titanium (including the stud), heat for color and sell them as fashionable/hypoallergenic earrings.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I bet you could make some money if you make them out of titanium (including the stud), heat for color and sell them as fashionable/hypoallergenic earrings.

It's already in the works

I still need to find a source for the Titanium studs though. (honestly I haven't looked that hard yet)

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...

Grimey Drawer

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

I am hilariously terrible at using any of this stuff. I am trying to try and make a few joints just to learn but so far I can only saw stock into parallelograms and not nice straight angles. Planing gives me more parallelograms.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Rhandhali posted:

I am hilariously terrible at using any of this stuff. I am trying to try and make a few joints just to learn but so far I can only saw stock into parallelograms and not nice straight angles. Planing gives me more parallelograms.

Keep doing it and you'll get better. Jesus was a carpenter, and look where he ended up!

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

just got the brake/QD mount ports drilled. Got the can's endcaps and tube mostly done and on it's way to the engraver. Next is to blast and cerakote, probably. I have like 4 more of these to make....

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Action Jesus posted:

just got the brake/QD mount ports drilled. Got the can's endcaps and tube mostly done and on it's way to the engraver. Next is to blast and cerakote, probably. I have like 4 more of these to make....

How well does ceracote hold up on a muzzle device? Would park be a better alternative? Also whats your specs for your QD?

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Miso Beno posted:

How well does ceracote hold up on a muzzle device? Would park be a better alternative? Also whats your specs for your QD?

Park probably would be better, and getting set up to do so (really just buying a burner and the park solution) is on my list. Not sure how well cera's gonna hold up, I'm planning to find out the fun way Alumahyde seems to hold up decently on a brake which is what gives me a good feeling for cerakote. The QD mount is .900x24 TPI with a 20* locking shoulder, 1.050" OD at its widest

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Is that the Griffin taper mount spec?

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is that the Griffin taper mount spec?

Haven't played with a griffin mount but I don't think so. Mine is probably closest to the TBAC QD mount which is .950 x 24tpi. I probably shoulda/coulda made it compatible with an existing mount but meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

If it's not, it's dang close. brake is .93" OD before the threads, 1.075 at the back of the taper.

«36 »