Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Javid posted:

This is true, but I'm also prepared to pay appropriately. Presumably some shipping company wants $800 a box times as many as I can sell

I'll also say contact Axle Logistics. We only used them a handful of times though but they had competitive prices and no issues, I assume you'll end up in the same issue as Trinity but might as well try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

It's not like it's gonna be lightly padded exposed furniture, I pretty much assume I'll have to crate them anyway so have been planning around it

Slapping together a tank-grade crate would be nigh trivial considering I'll already be set up to do wood stuff. even the material costs are insignificant next to the value of the contents. Some company just needs to want money I'm just shotgunning my intro blurb at these places at this point

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Iíve done it before, some big outfit with a 3 letter name starts with I. Green outlined logo, I think, like IRC but thatís not it. You tell them appropriately how many feet you need, the drop the trailer, you load it, then they seal that off for whatever is loaded in remainder.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Javid posted:

It's not like it's gonna be lightly padded exposed furniture, I pretty much assume I'll have to crate them anyway so have been planning around it

Slapping together a tank-grade crate would be nigh trivial considering I'll already be set up to do wood stuff. even the material costs are insignificant next to the value of the contents. Some company just needs to want money I'm just shotgunning my intro blurb at these places at this point

Mercury can help you out. http://www.shipmercury.com

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Can a metal cutting band saw be used to cut wood? With appropriate blade swaps of course.

edit: alternatively if I get a really good wood cutting bandsaw can I cut 1/8th annealed steel?

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 27, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

If it can take that kind of blade, a metal saw on wood will probably be better than the other way around.

stik posted:

Mercury can help you out. http://www.shipmercury.com

awesome.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Make sure you clean up all the sawdust well, don't want hot metal to start it smoldering.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Parts Kit posted:

Can a metal cutting band saw be used to cut wood? With appropriate blade swaps of course.

edit: alternatively if I get a really good wood cutting bandsaw can I cut 1/8th annealed steel?

Yes and *typically* no respectively.

Generally you can't cut steel on a wood band saw. Well, you can but you'll be going through blades like a fat kid at a candy buffet.

The issue is they run the blade WWWAAYYYY too fast.

Hardwoods generally want a blade that runs at 1200~1600 surface feet per minute. (how much blade goes past per minute) Pine likes somewhere in the realm of 2500~3000

Sometimes can get by cutting aluminum. It generally likes 800~1500 (the low end is some fairly rare in normal life alloys so the average is closer to the 1200~1500 mark)

Low carbon steel is 300~400. What happens is you wind up with two things happening. Generating way too much point heat (blade looses its edge) and not enough pressure per tooth to make a chip (causing rubbing and even more heat)

What'll generally happen is the blade will cut amazingly well and fast for about 10 seconds and grind to a halt.

You can always cut something slower. Faster not so much.
If you have a wood saw that can change gears/pulleys to slow the blade speed down then you're good. (there's some exotic woods that need to be cut pretty slow so some saws can )

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 27, 2020

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

Make sure you clean up all the sawdust well, don't want hot metal to start it smoldering.

flame cut wood sounds dope on paper tho

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

The selector chart on my doall has everything from newsprint to meteorite and asbestos.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

ThinkFear posted:

The selector chart on my doall has everything from newsprint to meteorite and asbestos.

If you have the same chart that doall model that the one I used to work on. The Asbestos settings are spot on fyi.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

shalafi4 posted:

Yes and *typically* no respectively.

Well, nutsack. Kinda figured there was some issue like that. I appreciate your help!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'll also say contact Axle Logistics. We only used them a handful of times though but they had competitive prices and no issues, I assume you'll end up in the same issue as Trinity but might as well try

yoooooo

these numbers are roughly half of what I was expecting, as well, so 10/10 referral, thanks dood

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Javid posted:

yoooooo

these numbers are roughly half of what I was expecting, as well, so 10/10 referral, thanks dood

No problem, glad I could help

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

So I started working on some grips for an old psuedo-Outdoorsman that I have.
This one right here:

Here's the progress so far.

So far I have learned that I need a band saw and I have an intense dislike of inletting the grips by hand. Anyone have any recommendations to make that last part a bit easier? I have a router and router table, but I've never worked with something this small before.

Klaus Hergesheimer
Aug 6, 2010

BrianM87 posted:

So I started working on some grips for an old psuedo-Outdoorsman that I have.
This one right here:

Here's the progress so far.

So far I have learned that I need a band saw and I have an intense dislike of inletting the grips by hand. Anyone have any recommendations to make that last part a bit easier? I have a router and router table, but I've never worked with something this small before.

Chisel, vise, rasp, files? You'd be pretty surprised what you can do in an hour with a few hand tools and a good vise. A coarse rasp really helps, but I've done a lot with normal files and some time.

I think you'd need to relatively carefully construct a router template to get a lot done with a router, and that would take longer than just doing it by hand.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006

Klaus Hergesheimer posted:

Chisel, vise, rasp, files? You'd be pretty surprised what you can do in an hour with a few hand tools and a good vise. A coarse rasp really helps, but I've done a lot with normal files and some time.

I think you'd need to relatively carefully construct a router template to get a lot done with a router, and that would take longer than just doing it by hand.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now. Was just hoping there was a way to speed up removing some material from the bigger areas.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

BrianM87 posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing now. Was just hoping there was a way to speed up removing some material from the bigger areas.

How good is your Dremel fu?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Inletting just sucks, in general. I tend to rough it with Forster bits first.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006

Javid posted:

Inletting just sucks, in general. I tend to rough it with Forster bits first.

This is a fantastic idea that I'm going to try. Thanks.

Here's a couple hours by hand. Pretty rough and needs to be cleaned up, but it's coming along.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

After learning there's going to be a company-wide 20% pay reduction for salaried employees instead of lay-offs I decided to clear my mind with a project I have been meaning to do for a few weeks now.

I have one of those ubiquitous GunVault lockable metal cases for either temporary storage in a vehicle or if I'm not flying with a rifle, checking a handgun in a plane. It's decently enough made, but the big flaw with it is the lovely wafer lock that can be picked in 5 seconds and its pot metal keys. I broke the first one within a month or so of owning it and have since lost the second one somehow.

GunVault Lock Replacement by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Since the cam-style lock it uses is common all over for filing cabinets, display cases and other uses I just took some measurements and started looking for "high security" locks to replace it with. While I didn't want to drop Abloy money(and couldn't find one that seemed close enough sized to work) there are a few alternatives out the that are a few steps up in security than a replacement wafer lock. I eventually found this disc detainer cam lock that seemed to fit the bill. While disc detainers are definitely still very pickable, they aren't nearly as common as wafer, pin tumbler, tubular or even warded locks in the US and the tools required to pick them are also not nearly as common.

5/8 High Security Cam Lock Fradon Lock MEI Security 8418 Keyed Alike If you'd like to play along at home: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401781317398

Step one is to turn your chest freezer into a workbench because you've neglected your actual one for uhh...years.

As you might have seen above in blue sharpie, the hardware supplied with the new lock doesn't quite fit the old locking pawl so some surgery needs to be done. Queue everyone's favorite gunsmith in a box:

The mounting hole in the GunVault also needed to be ever so slightly widened to accommodate the new lock:

I also had to make a spacer out of kydex (since I was lacking in any sheet metal or the desire to obtain any) to get the locking pawl at the right height:

After repeated test fitting and removing material I eventually got everything lined up, applied loctite and put the foam back in:

I don't recall if the original lock functioned this way, but I specifically chose a lock that retained the key while open, so as to not lose it:

Tada! Now you can more securely store your handgun or other valuable items:

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 31, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Shouldn't the kydex spacer go on the inside? What would happen if someone cut it?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The spacer adjusts the height of the pawl relative to the lid of the case and the slot it sits in, if someone decided to try and cut it off they might get a little bit of a gap in the case but it wouldn't open. I super glued the fucker down so if they cut through it they might as well cut through the case too. The case is definitely the weakest part though and would be pretty easily defeated if someone wanted to get in. The lock upgrade is mostly meant to buy a little more time and make a TSA screener or other thief move on to something easier.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Does anyone have a go-to site for small numbers of springs? There was a place I was planning on ordering from but it looks like they added a minimum order. Only $40, but the problem is each spring is like $2.50, and I don't really need 15 springs. I've got no problem paying more each, I just only need a couple springs and don't want to buy an extra six or seven of each.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

When drilling gas ports do manufacturers deburr the inside bore edge? How? What kind of micro blind hole can even do that? Or you have a tool thatís shaped like the rifling and you chase the bore to deburr? Or is it not necessary as a test firing will deburr it enough?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

i bet they use the hot gas erosion method with a copper lap

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

That sounds suspiciously like "they shoot it a few times."

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

When drilling gas ports do manufacturers deburr the inside bore edge? How? What kind of micro blind hole can even do that? Or you have a tool thatís shaped like the rifling and you chase the bore to deburr? Or is it not necessary as a test firing will deburr it enough?

If you make the cut with something closer to an end mill instead of a drill bit the burr is significantly smaller.

Drill bits put some pressure down on the part when they're cutting and the rolls some of the material into the exit side.

End mills *generally* don't put much downward pressure on a part so the resulting exit burr isn't as big.

That and end mills tend to try and pickup the material instead of shearing it as much.

Also. Soon my pretty... Soon...

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds suspiciously like "they shoot it a few times."

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

EDM

Lighting leaves no burr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

rump buttman posted:

EDM

Lighting leaves no burr

Are barrel factories really using EDM to make the gas ports tho? Even the old world state arsenals in Europe?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Shaocaholica posted:

Are barrel factories really using EDM to make the gas ports tho? Even the old world state arsenals in Europe?

I know jack squat about guns.

I just know if I needed to make a hole that absolutely cannot have a burr, Iíd EDM that bitch.

As far as old world, the Russians invented EDM in the 40s and machines were readily available in the late sixties. Maybe?

Edit: google tells me magnaport EDMs

https://magnaport.com

rump buttman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 9, 2020

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

rump buttman posted:

EDM

Lighting leaves no burr

ESM is how custom shotgun shops do porting.

The other option might be a tube laser.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rump buttman posted:

I know jack squat about guns.

I just know if I needed to make a hole that absolutely cannot have a burr, Iíd EDM that bitch.

As far as old world, the Russians invented EDM in the 40s and machines were readily available in the late sixties. Maybe?

Edit: google tells me magnaport EDMs

https://magnaport.com

Some performance shops also use EDM to make small parts, Cajun Gun Works makes most, if not all, of their trigger/sear group parts with EDM because you can get such a smooth finish much more easily. Since the smoothness of the part is directly related to the smoothness of the electrode you use, and it's very easy to get the end of a little electrode to a mirror sheen.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some performance shops also use EDM to make small parts, Cajun Gun Works makes most, if not all, of their trigger/sear group parts with EDM because you can get such a smooth finish much more easily. Since the smoothness of the part is directly related to the smoothness of the electrode you use, and it's very easy to get the end of a little electrode to a mirror sheen.

Oh yeah. I could imagine a lot of small parts are wire EDMíd.

With sinker EDM (machines I am more familiar with) itís true that the electrode will transcribe texture and minute details. The amperage also matters. More amps mean the sparks leave deeper divots. The deeper divots leave a rougher finish. I am sure modern machines can get the finish much closer to mirror, but I worked with older machines. The machines I worked with all left EDM finish, even while finessing the end burn.

note, EDM hardens the surface and makes hand polishing to mirror a real dick punch.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Everyone knows that to get rid of Burrs you use the Hamilton Process.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

Goddamn

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rump buttman posted:

Oh yeah. I could imagine a lot of small parts are wire EDM’d.

With sinker EDM (machines I am more familiar with) it’s true that the electrode will transcribe texture and minute details. The amperage also matters. More amps mean the sparks leave deeper divots. The deeper divots leave a rougher finish. I am sure modern machines can get the finish much closer to mirror, but I worked with older machines. The machines I worked with all left EDM finish, even while finessing the end burn.

note, EDM hardens the surface and makes hand polishing to mirror a real dick punch.

McNally's great joke aside, that's interesting about the divot depth. I haven't used one myself, I'd like to join a makerspace at some point but LOL Corona. I am not terrible with 3D modelling, but my control with hand tools sucks so telling a computer what to do is appealing to me. I wonder if the more modern machines will adjust amperage during the manufacturing process so that you do the main cutting at a higher level for speed and then do the final touches at a lower level to smooth it out. That also gives you the advantage of not having to do anything else to harden the material, although I don't know if only having surface hardening on a gun part would bite you in the rear end longevity-wise.

«36 »