Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Horror Fright AK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

New Concept Hole posted:

I meant more like, what dedicated drill press and hydraulic press would do these two tasks without being prohibitively expensive-- my budget is comfortably in the 2K USD range, altogether.

If you have room, buy a used drill press.

https://denver.craigslist.org/searc...0press&sort=rel

Lots of options, who is looking to buy with 38 million unemployed? How many extra are probably hitting the market with 38 million unemployed? Low ball and I suspect you can find a stout one for under 100.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

New Concept Hole posted:

Does anyone here have experience with building AKs from a parts kit? I'm looking to do just that but I don't have the major tools to do it, specifically a drill press for drilling the receiver and barrel, and a hydraulic press for pressing the barrel into place. What's a recommended "hobby option" for both of these?

Is your parts kit pre drilled for the barrel pins? If yes they're going to be a bit of a PITA to drill, it's going to want to walk.

Also if you're patient and handy with a dremel you can modify the jaws on bolt cutters into a swaging tool for the rivets.

Also you don't *have* to have a hydraulic press for your barrel. Assuming you're not mismatching your barrel shank to trunnion by too much it can be tapped into place. (I made a ~1/2" thick brass muzzle cover with a shank that dropped down the barrel and tapped mine in)

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

rump buttman posted:

If you have room, buy a used drill press.

https://denver.craigslist.org/searc...0press&sort=rel

Lots of options, who is looking to buy with 38 million unemployed? How many extra are probably hitting the market with 38 million unemployed? Low ball and I suspect you can find a stout one for under 100.

I've checked on Craigslist, ebay, and the local online classifieds for used options, and I've found parts, broken presses, double presses, vintage/antiques/manual drill presses, or machines that are outside my budget. Also not seeing nearly as many listings as compared to that Denver craigslist page. e: I've been checking since before I posted this as well.

shalafi4 posted:

Is your parts kit pre drilled for the barrel pins? If yes they're going to be a bit of a PITA to drill, it's going to want to walk.

Also if you're patient and handy with a dremel you can modify the jaws on bolt cutters into a swaging tool for the rivets.

Also you don't *have* to have a hydraulic press for your barrel. Assuming you're not mismatching your barrel shank to trunnion by too much it can be tapped into place. (I made a ~1/2" thick brass muzzle cover with a shank that dropped down the barrel and tapped mine in)

It's a surplus parts kit, so yes pre drilled( if I'm understanding you correctly).

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 22, 2020

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Another place to watch are local machine auctions.

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/8243/Item/12

From an R/D shop, probably very low use.

Maybe check the local machine auctions coming up before ruling out a steal on something that will have handiness for lots of things.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Surely this one would work fine for you needs.

https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/d...7121479817.html

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Captain Log posted:

Surely this one would work fine for you needs.

https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/d...7121479817.html

Please buy my $10-20 worth of scrap for $250, yard art!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

rump buttman posted:

Please buy my $10-20 worth of scrap for $250, yard art!

ruraltennessee.exe

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Asked a shop how much 50 pairs of GB hammer springs would cost me and they wanted $1200. No thanks!

Globalspec.com has a search function that works with a ton of different suppliers. Still wasn't able to find a perfect match but the LTR048J 01 M from Lee Spring will probably work well enough. I'll try making my own this weekend and if I'm not happy with how it turns out I'll probably order a couple of those and see if I can make them work.

Oh and I emailed Steyr USA and they said unfortunately they no longer stock parts for the GB

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

Asked a shop how much 50 pairs of GB hammer springs would cost me and they wanted $1200. No thanks!

Globalspec.com has a search function that works with a ton of different suppliers. Still wasn't able to find a perfect match but the LTR048J 01 M from Lee Spring will probably work well enough. I'll try making my own this weekend and if I'm not happy with how it turns out I'll probably order a couple of those and see if I can make them work.

Oh and I emailed Steyr USA and they said unfortunately they no longer stock parts for the GB

Sell them for $48.99 and you'll break even before shipping!!!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Captain Log posted:

Sell them for $48.99 and you'll break even before shipping!!!

Yeah I figured if I could get 50 pairs for $10 each I could sell them over the course of 15 years for $20-30 each and it might almost be worth the hassle of keeping them around but for that price I don't think it's gonna work out.

I did just got the specs for the hammer springs that Steyr used on the later production GBs though so I have another alternate set of specs I can look for that I know works and is supposedly even better.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

I don't know what your problem is you can make a torsion spring in like 3 seconds.

EZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw35v0g_1tY

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's why you buy 10000

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

Because I have apparently angered God and nothing can ever be easy I need to figure out a way to replace this broken hammer spring. It's made using 17 gauge wire which apparently barely exists

the first rule of spring winding club is you're gonna want to have some wire options on hand. also glasses, and mind the bitter ends

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I have committed welding. Kinda.

The bracket for the bogie wheel on the front of my lawnmower deck decided to break off and go rogue, digging trenches in my lawn, which was not very cool. Neighbor of mine welded it up once, kinda, and badly, so when it broke again I decided it was time for me to get my own basic welding setup. Cheapest flux core welder at harbor freight and about that much again in ppe and accessories and I've laid down my first few welds and they don't seem to suck so bad that they'll immediately fall apart, but I now deeply understand "Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't."

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to find more scrap metal to which I will stick other scrap metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you canít find a drill press for sale you could probably find a makerspace in your area that has one. Membership fees and certification classes will apply but theyíre pretty handy especially if you donít have the room for the equipment at your home. Iím a big fan of the one I belong to

«36 »