Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wait why are you wanting to convert external threads to 1/2-28???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait why are you wanting to convert external threads to 1/2-28???

Talked about it in discord but for anyone not following along in there:

I would like to be able to use normal 9mm suppressors made in my lifetime, and be able to swap it between guns. The other alternative is getting something like a Thompson Machine SG-2 or Bowers Vers 9 which have different threaded endcaps (including 3/4-10) that I could use to change between guns. That'd be more annoying than just having normal threads on the Spectre but it would work.

Aracat
Feb 21, 2006
das kittah

Shaocaholica posted:

So I'm friends IRL with Blondihacks and as it turns out Joe Pie has been really dickish to her on his YouTube channel but most in comments and DMs. Apparently Joe Pies fans are also not nice to her. Shame.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me, especially how after Blondihacks started work on her steam engine kit and a couple weeks later Joe started the same kit. It's been fascinating watching her work through the steam engine with limited access to machine tools.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Shaocaholica posted:

Just doing some pixel math using the photos since the seller didn't measure the hole on the side you are interested in....

It looks like the hole is 0.480in which is kinda too big to cut 1/2-28 threads on but I'll defer to the real experts.

Seller emailed me back and the ID of that end is 0.467 according to his calipers. Minor diameter of 1/2-28 is 0.456 (I think?) which leaves us with a wall that's like 0.0055 thick right? That sounds way too thin to work so I guess there goes that plan!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Why not have a thread adapter made? Keep the tolerances tight and it should line up fine with the bore.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Force de Fappe posted:

Why not have a thread adapter made? Keep the tolerances tight and it should line up fine with the bore.

Yeah I guess that'd probably work. I was kind of scared off by the fact that people elsewhere had advised against it and nobody makes one but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you made it well. I know a couple of machinists that'd probably be willing to do it, doesn't seem too complicated?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

So I'm friends IRL with Blondihacks and as it turns out Joe Pie has been really dickish to her on his YouTube channel but most in comments and DMs. Apparently Joe Pies fans are also not nice to her. Shame.

Shame indeed. She's really great to watch, and she reminds me of a friend who has a very small shop and makes a ton of engines with nice results. Please tell her to ignore the bad folks, there's a lot of great people who follow her work.

And Joe seems like a know-it-all and kind of an arrogant fellow. He's had some questionable stuff on his white board before, so I'm not surprised that his audience are a bunch of jerks.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I guess that'd probably work. I was kind of scared off by the fact that people elsewhere had advised against it and nobody makes one but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you made it well. I know a couple of machinists that'd probably be willing to do it, doesn't seem too complicated?

It's not too complicated to do overall.

making sure 110% that the 1/2x28 is coaxial with the 3/4x10 can be a pain but isn't difficult to a machinist who knows how to chase threads.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

shalafi4 posted:

making sure 110% that the 1/2x28 is coaxial

oh god i just got triggered from many traumatic experiences about GD&T arguments on coaxiality vs concentricity vs runout

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So you want it to be concentric and coaxial but the coaxial is more important?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

coaxiality is a 3d measurement, concentricity is a 2d measurement, from my understanding

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Styles Bitchley posted:

oh god i just got triggered from many traumatic experiences about GD&T arguments on coaxiality vs concentricity vs runout

How the axis between 2 circles/cylinders line up

How the OD of 2 circles/cylinders line up

how round a circle is?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

The part needs to be concentric, coaxial, with minimal total runout, only a little circular runout, all while maintaining proper cylindricity and circularity.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

So, if I'm understanding your requirements correctly, the dohickey needs to twist onto the thingy and not be all cockeyed? I got a dremel and a drill press, I bet I could make that happen for you. $20 and a six pack sound about right?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Styles Bitchley posted:

The part needs to be concentric, coaxial, with minimal total runout, only a little circular runout, all while maintaining proper cylindricity and circularity.

You would appreciate this.

Used to "teach" tolerancing/GD&T at a university for MechE Seniors.

I had a standing agreement with the actual prof that taught the class. If someone could correctly do a single stackup correctly for a real world application they could get a 100% on any of their quizzes.

Do the stackup tolerance for a set of parts. 3 of the connections are NPT threads. :P (and they had to account for adding a proper amount of teflon tape.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wa11y posted:

So, if I'm understanding your requirements correctly, the dohickey needs to twist onto the thingy and not be all cockeyed? I got a dremel and a drill press, I bet I could make that happen for you. $20 and a six pack sound about right?

From what I can tell the part doesn't thread over the barrel instead its a slip fit. I'm not sure how exactly it's secured on the barrel end but it does have external threads on the gun end so maybe there's some sleeve? Seems more complex than it needs to be.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Shaocaholica posted:

From what I can tell the part doesn't thread over the barrel instead its a slip fit. I'm not sure how exactly it's secured on the barrel end but it does have external threads on the gun end so maybe there's some sleeve? Seems more complex than it needs to be.

Well poo poo, in that case I got a deep freeze, a torch, and a 4 lb sledge! Bring it and a crisp $10 over, we'll get that knocked out in no time! Even got some green loctite we can let soak down in there, bed it so there's no wiggle!

Don't ever let me near a project you actually care about.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

shalafi4 posted:

You would appreciate this.

Used to "teach" tolerancing/GD&T at a university for MechE Seniors.

I had a standing agreement with the actual prof that taught the class. If someone could correctly do a single stackup correctly for a real world application they could get a 100% on any of their quizzes.

Do the stackup tolerance for a set of parts. 3 of the connections are NPT threads. :P (and they had to account for adding a proper amount of teflon tape.

Bless you. I work with mostly older drawings way before GD&T was common, or at least our company never really used it. Frankly we seem to do more harm than good trying to update to GD&T when you get into the callouts I mentioned above. Have a lot of people ask us for a model, but rarely does anyone demand a GD&T callout or datums to actually make something. I think for a lot of us it's just learning when and what not to do. I remember having some class and drilled into "feature of size" vs something else but don't remember. Seem to have issues mostly with what CMM programs spit out on measurements when it comes to things like concentricity and runout.

I wouldn't know how to solve your puzzle. NPT threads are usually 1 thread? Gaging at least. Take those thread lengths, then ask what is a "proper" amount of teflon tape and take a guess. Would go to hardware store and mock it up. Of course the amount of torque applied can affect the stack! A good example.

Had a similar problem recently. Dimension mounting something on a pole in a traffic application. Suggest a tolerance be applied. Engineer says "doesn't matter, not critical". I tell him to imagine he is inspecting the part, and I mounted it 6 inches off nominal. "No, that would be too much." So at what point does "not critical" become "unacceptable"? Somewhere in there is your tolerance.

Then we have guys making 3D models of rough sand castings. Square corners everywhere....

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Shaocaholica posted:

I haven't actually taken my Spectre apart far enough to tell you 100% for sure but my understanding is the barrel nut at the end of the muzzle slips over the barrel as it screws into the barrel shroud. This means there's really no way to attach a suppressor without very precisely welding something on to the barrel nut which would be pretty difficult I think. However you can just do what they did with the part in the auction and make a replacement barrel nut that has suppressor threading already built in. But for some reason they decided to use a whacky uzi threading instead of the one everyone else on earth has used for years.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Styles Bitchley posted:

Bless you. I work with mostly older drawings way before GD&T was common, or at least our company never really used it. Frankly we seem to do more harm than good trying to update to GD&T when you get into the callouts I mentioned above. Have a lot of people ask us for a model, but rarely does anyone demand a GD&T callout or datums to actually make something. I think for a lot of us it's just learning when and what not to do. I remember having some class and drilled into "feature of size" vs something else but don't remember. Seem to have issues mostly with what CMM programs spit out on measurements when it comes to things like concentricity and runout.

I wouldn't know how to solve your puzzle. NPT threads are usually 1 thread? Gaging at least. Take those thread lengths, then ask what is a "proper" amount of teflon tape and take a guess. Would go to hardware store and mock it up. Of course the amount of torque applied can affect the stack! A good example.

Had a similar problem recently. Dimension mounting something on a pole in a traffic application. Suggest a tolerance be applied. Engineer says "doesn't matter, not critical". I tell him to imagine he is inspecting the part, and I mounted it 6 inches off nominal. "No, that would be too much." So at what point does "not critical" become "unacceptable"? Somewhere in there is your tolerance.

Then we have guys making 3D models of rough sand castings. Square corners everywhere....

Yea, I generally wouldn't use GD&T at the university because it caused WAY more issues than it would every fix or help. Mainly would show the graduating seniors who were working for me a crash course so they at least knew what a true position for a hole was.

For the NPT stackup. it's one of those it's not too bad once you know the solution but getting there it's wonky.

Wind up doing a couple proportional equations, one side is the Pitch diameter trapazoid for the ID and the other for the OD and doing your scalar by how far in it travels. What makes it screwy is the teflon tape effectively moves the walls for the ID out (or OD in math wise it works the same) and you have to modify the proportion accordingly.

Also we would generally snark anyone in the shop into learning that you can't cut square ID corners without a pressing/notching operation with a manual mill.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I figure this is probably the place to ask, does anyone have any recommendations for pencils for drafting/sketching designs? I find it easier to sketch stuff out by hand before I make a model, and I need pencils for that, I assume there's a worthwhile reason to get a nicer one over a pack of cheap mechanicals from Wal-mart?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Pentel Sharp Automatic Pencil, 0.5mm Lead Size, Black Barrel(P205A). Buy one for around $6, if you like the slim barrel, a box of 12 regularly dips under $25 on Amazon.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ok so I won that Spectre adapter for $100, not too bad. Apparently his machine shop made a custom order of 3 of them for someone and one of his machinists found this extra one in a drawer.

A Quietbore form 1 kit would be the fastest way to get a 9mm suppressor, it should be pretty easy to get one of the end caps re-threaded to 3/4-10 right? https://www.quietbore.com/product/1-250-tube-thread-adapter/

Is there any reason that wouldn't work or would be a bad idea?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was pointed in here- which goon made these handguard adaptors? I love them and would love to price out a set.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I just looked back in my PMs, it was ThinkFear

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I just looked back in my PMs, it was ThinkFear

Thanks. I don't have PMs, but I'll keep an eye out for when I see him.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

My ears tingled. Bulletsponge, I don't mind sending one your way, but I'm swamped at the moment. Poke me after the holidays and I'll hook you up.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ThinkFear posted:

My ears tingled. Bulletsponge, I don't mind sending one your way, but I'm swamped at the moment. Poke me after the holidays and I'll hook you up.

No worries. :-) I didn't expect that quick of a response.
And awesome.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Anyone here ever used a floating reamer holder before?

Some fingers crossed, end of the month I'll be both doing barrel threading, chambering and making reloading dies for my pet project.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shalafi4 posted:

Anyone here ever used a floating reamer holder before?

Some fingers crossed, end of the month I'll be both doing barrel threading, chambering and making reloading dies for my pet project.

I've used them a couple times, so if it a general question, I might be able to float an answer, but by no means am I anywhere near an expert.

But I am a part of a Gunsmith group chat (we all met at school) so if it is something in particular, they would have a better answer.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've used them a couple times, so if it a general question, I might be able to float an answer, but by no means am I anywhere near an expert.

But I am a part of a Gunsmith group chat (we all met at school) so if it is something in particular, they would have a better answer.

Mainly curious if there's any of the "hey don't do/watch out for BLA" on a new type of tool type stuff.

I've got a bunch of manual machining experience but it's always worth it to ask.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shalafi4 posted:

Mainly curious if there's any of the "hey don't do/watch out for BLA" on a new type of tool type stuff.

I've got a bunch of manual machining experience but it's always worth it to ask.

They are less forgiving to chip build up, so make sure you are being super diligent with clearing it. I found them a little easier to use, and not really much different in execution than a regular, but gives a much nicer finish.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

They are less forgiving to chip build up, so make sure you are being super diligent with clearing it. I found them a little easier to use, and not really much different in execution than a regular, but gives a much nicer finish.

Good to know! thank ya!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaocaholica posted:

I remember seeing when this blew up, that Joe said to his fans that he'd made this video and shown it to her via DM meaning all the best and claimed she had blown up at him and then banned him from commenting on her videos. So it pretty much looks to me that this is a pretty classic case of he said she said and groups are choosing what to believe.

I personally don't know and don't care since I don't care about model building and don't subscribe to either of these people. But it looks like it's gonna turn into one of those infested things with people dividing into groups. Unless someone releases chat logs.

Stefan Gotteswinter now that's good machining.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I've known Quinn since 2006 when we both worked at an EA studio making lovely games. It doesn't seem like something she would be petty about but then I haven't really kept in touch with her for like a decade since the studio was shut down. I still watch both but it does color things for me anyway. IMO Quinn has one of the best 'teacher' style productions vs just spectator or for experts only.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok I'm trying to get some replacement screws for a Russian scope. They measure exactly 1.5mm in diameter but when I go to look at the usual places like McMaster there is no 1.5mm parts only 1.4mm and 1.6mm. What gives? Is 1.5mm not a real standard or maybe just a Soviet/Russian one?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I'm trying to get some replacement screws for a Russian scope. They measure exactly 1.5mm in diameter but when I go to look at the usual places like McMaster there is no 1.5mm parts only 1.4mm and 1.6mm. What gives? Is 1.5mm not a real standard or maybe just a Soviet/Russian one?

Strangely it seems that M standards jump 1.5. What sort of scope is it and what part do you need the screw for? On the off-chance, is this helpful?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333274496261

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Vindolanda posted:

Strangely it seems that M standards jump 1.5. What sort of scope is it and what part do you need the screw for? On the off-chance, is this helpful?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333274496261

It's just for a cover panel. The original ones are pretty beat up but removable. Just looking to get some new replacements without buying surplus parts from the former union.

e: gently caress it gonna wing it with 1.6mm which has the correct pitch. None of the McMaster 1.4mm had the right pitch. Worst case I can't use it. Got big order with McMaster anyway.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 2, 2021

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

It's just for a cover panel. The original ones are pretty beat up but removable. Just looking to get some new replacements without buying surplus parts from the former union.

e: gently caress it gonna wing it with 1.6mm which has the correct pitch. None of the McMaster 1.4mm had the right pitch. Worst case I can't use it. Got big order with McMaster anyway.

There's also 2 possibilities with it.

Russian military went fork you all and make a 1.5mm screw.

They're actually 1.6mm bolts but 1.5mm is within tolerance for the major diamter of the bolt. (so it's a skinnny 1.6)

If the pitch matches I'd try the 1.6mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I see listings for 1.5mm on random places online but all the big industrial suppliers don't have it in both the US and EU. I wonder what the story is on why 1.6 and 1.4 exist but not 1.5.