Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Gray Stormy posted:

Ive got a Haas TL1, a Nomura swiss lathe, plus pretty much any kind of grinder you could think of.

Lots of tools for knife making really.

A swiss lathe might work for what I've got in mind. Although it would need to have hard turn/mill tooling.

Looking at cutting/grinding a pocket/heavy chamfer into the end of a gage pin.

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Remember kids.

When single point threading on a new to you lathe make sure to check if the gearbox uses both letters and numbers.

Just managed to thread a whole part at 11 tpi instead of 14.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

shalafi4 posted:

Remember kids.

When single point threading on a new to you lathe make sure to check if the gearbox uses both letters and numbers.

Just managed to thread a whole part at 11 tpi instead of 14.

Suppressor threading?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lathe report:

The helly deep cuts we started making into our tangs have been continuing to go fantastically. Im getting 100+ parts to an insert where previously wed get around 35.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

Suppressor threading?

Custom die for my reloading press.

gonna make an effort post on the general process over in my 9x39 load data thread this evening.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

shalafi4 posted:

Custom die for my reloading press.

gonna make an effort post on the general process over in my 9x39 load data thread this evening.

I was hoping you’d roll with it and end up with a whole new suppressor standard. Looking forward to the post!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

A quick google says 14x1 internal metric threads can be drilled out and rethreaded 5/8x24. Can someone confirm?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

A quick google says 14x1 internal metric threads can be drilled out and rethreaded 5/8x24. Can someone confirm?

math works out?

Minor diameter on a 3B 5/8-24 is 0.58

14mm is ~0.551

should have ~30 thou of extra clear out before you start cutting into the interior peaks of the 5/8-24

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

shalafi4 posted:

math works out?

Minor diameter on a 3B 5/8-24 is 0.58

14mm is ~0.551

should have ~30 thou of extra clear out before you start cutting into the interior peaks of the 5/8-24

Cool thanks. I didn’t want to get egg on my face for asking my buddy to do it for me

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Fill the hole with weld and you can make it whatever you want!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Too much work to weld.

Also does anyone know if scotch brite pads or a similar product comes in 0.5in thickness? Scotch brite seems to be exclusively 0.25in.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Too much work to weld.

Also does anyone know if scotch brite pads or a similar product comes in 0.5in thickness? Scotch brite seems to be exclusively 0.25in.

What sort of thing are you doing with it? Might be a silly question but could you fold the pad?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Too much work to weld.

Floor buffer pads are much thicker. The green ones at least are just a giant scotchbrite. I always pocket the centers when I see them for serious scrubbing

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Serious scrubbing

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So I have an existing part that has 34x1 metric external threads and I want to internal thread another part to fit it. However the 2 local machinists I have access to have inch lathes. Are common inch lathes able to single point cut 1mm threads? Otherwise for $50 I could buy a Chinese 34x1 tap.

E: hmm my one friend has a Haas CNC mill so maybe we thread mill it? Kinda tall part to hold vertical tho (6”).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 12, 2021

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

So I have an existing part that has 34x1 metric external threads and I want to internal thread another part to fit it. However the 2 local machinists I have access to have inch lathes. Are common inch lathes able to single point cut 1mm threads? Otherwise for $50 I could buy a Chinese 34x1 tap.

E: hmm my one friend has a Haas CNC mill so maybe we thread mill it? Kinda tall part to hold vertical tho (6”).

Depending on the lathe model there is a gear that can be changed out to do metric threads. (sometimes they're attached on the lathe in the geartrain and it's a matter of undoing a bolt and shifting which gear is engaged)

Otherwise no, a 1mm thread pitch is something like 25.18TPI (and if you've got 3 + threads 25 TPI won't work tried it)

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

alright stop,
interpolate and listen,
Haas is back with 3 axis precision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Watched blondihacks video on single point threading. Makes sense with the change gear. Doesn’t need to be super precise. The already existing part only has 4 threads to engage.