Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Main Paineframe)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.694620?v=46E47D434FAE8D10324F7CD903E46371

Well now, that's quite a thing. An arm of the state ranting about ethnic identity and the dangers of miscegenation. Ummmm. Yeah.
Nope, totally not Apartheid, LOOK OVER THERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nice to know that any time people get tired of TIC's gimmick, he can just take a break and come back to new people taking his bait

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Since they have virtually no other methods to fight back, and no way to do anything right now via the political process, it's really hard to blame those of them that do it. As mentioned, it rarely does anything and Israel has Iron Dome anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The United Methodist Church is divesting from five Israeli banks because they do not meet the human rights standards the church has established in dealing with certain financial institutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/w...v=top-news&_r=0

It appears that at least one of these banks finances illegal settlement construction in the West Bank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

For the protection of the Jewish peoplegoons, PalestiniansTIC must be banished from Israelthis thread.
Right, but once he leaves I'm sure MIGF will mysteriously re-appear

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Israelis and Saudis working together is almost too perfect of a relationship

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Quoth the sister of of the executioner: "All that remains is that you execute my brother, he's been the victim of drumhead court-martial".

Yes, an actual summary execution by a self-appointed executioner is fine but calling him a murderer in the media that's a step too far.
I mean, if you think Palestinians are second-class citizens then maybe it's not murder to some of these people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They've had a bad year or three, there were a bunch of very smart Israeli strategy-types who went :stonk: when Netanyahu decided it would be a good idea to turn support for Israel into a partisan issue and now a (Jewish!) Democratic Presidential candidate is breaking the seal. :getin:
Considering Hillary wrote an op-ed saying that she wanted to maintain close ties with Israel (specifically Bibi), this is not likely to result in any real change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do find it kind of ironic that the Israeli right wing is thriving during a period of relative calm between I/P, but during the Intifada years the left seemed to do better. That's not typical.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For the Israelis ISIS is just a convenient boogeyman if they want it, and not much else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

They want continuing violence to excuse their genocide.
As I've brought up before, it feels like the proportional response now to violence is worse than it ever was. Remember that the last attack on Gaza was started on the pretext of a murder of one Israeli. Then something like 2,000 Palestinians died in the response.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Source? I've only heard things reinforcing that idea.
The FBI came out and said they found no evidence that supported the idea he was gay, and I'm not even sure if they did confirm those reports that surfaced about him visiting that club often

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Facebook is working with the Israeli government to censor the speech posted on its site, particularly what the Israeli government is referring to as 'Palestinian incitement of violence'.

https://theintercept.com/2016/09/12/facebook-is-collaborating-with-the-israeli-government-to-determine-what-should-be-censored/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

"Here are tons of money and weapons. By the way, we don't like what you're doing, but we will unconditionally support you on all your endeavors, even those we officially disapprove of. Have a free missile refill."
No kidding....it's hard to care about what he says when they keep upping the military aid to record levels while he wags his finger about settlements.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the most likely outcome of the I/P issue is that the world powers allow Israel to continue to annex Palestinian land with settlements until there is nothing left, since nobody has the political will to stop them otherwise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OK so he just admitted what we all knew for years? Thanks Bennet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/797864777389404160

I see they're not wasting any time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is this a sign that the two-state solution is going from "slowly evaporating" to "circling the drain"?
For all intents and purposes it was dead already. This is basically lowering the coffin and then shoveling the dirt on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

This doesn't mean he's for sure not the ambassador but I'm just grateful for this brief window where I can go back to being in denial about Huckabee being the ambassador.

Watch in a week we get US - Israeli ambassador Ted Cruz.
That would be great because we can basically just ignore him instead of having him whining and grandstanding on the Senate floor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As Trump's election established, nothing matters. If he's acquitted for that kind of conduct then nobody will be punished for shooting children apparently

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good news for the Israelis:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/809544038651142144

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an utter disaster for Israel - the next couple years will be great for the Israeli right, but in the long-term it could seriously hurt Israel's support in the US. Israel's relationship with the Diaspora is already rather delicate, since the Haredi parties have disproportionate power in the government and have used it to carve out all sorts of special privileges for themselves while relegating non-Orthodox Jews to second-class status, and Netanyahu's repeated attempts to turn foreign Jews into unpaid envoys for his foreign policy have been causing concern in the Diaspora.
Sounds good to me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm betting that the only reason they didn't is because of Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really amazing that a minor resolution passing the UNSC which basically amounts to 'hey Israel, please stop violating international agreements' is met with a reaction like we bombed Tel Aviv.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh please do that Israel. Continue to act like a rogue state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's not even text, it's just the UN wagging their finger at Israel for genocide and telling them to go sit in the corner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The most appropriate Tweet on this stupidity was 'Israel just BDS'd itself'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

:drat:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm annoyed that Obama waited until now to piss off Bibi on purpose, this week has been gold

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is a coward.
Letting Kerry off the leash 3 weeks from the end of his presidency to give a speech that years ago would not be controversial is pretty dumb.

It shows how much the political class is terrified of AIPAC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is going to continue to be an issue. Haim Saban (major Dem donor) has opposed Keith Ellison because he is not pro-Israel enough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

qkkl posted:

That's the point of the settlements, to increase the Jewish population so eventually a unified Israel and West Bank will have a comfortable majority for the Jews.

From Israel's POV the best-case scenario is more settlements until the population of Israel + the West Bank has a strong Jewish majority, followed by formal annexation of the West Bank. This would include giving all Palestinians Israeli citizenship, with the Palestinians integrating into Israeli society.

The worst case scenario is more settlements, but Israel not giving Palestinians citizenship out of fear of terrorist attacks, so eventually all the Palestinians would be confined to Gaza and a Gaza-like area in the West Bank which would essentially be the world's largest prisons.
Palestinians will remain second-class citizens even as Israel gradually annexes Palestinian land until there is nothing left. That's pretty clearly where this will end. That and a lot of dead Palestinians.

As the NYT says, this is basically Kerry eulogizing the 'two-state solution', because Trump has already made it clear that he will support whatever Israel does 100% and Bibi will have the green-light to do whatever he feels like without US opposition. The rest of the world will continue to oppose settlements but once Obama leaves US policy will be hands-off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

qkkl posted:

If Israel can handle giving full citizenship to its Arab population I think it's at least a possibility that they could grant West Bank Palestinians citizenship sometime in the future if the Jews far outnumber the Palestinians.
As others have said, this is not happening.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's gross to me that right wingers and defenders of Israel have managed to continue to push the 'criticism of Israel=anti-Semitism' thing to the point where they would equate condemning settlements to the Holocaust as some have.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The graft investigation of Bibi has been upgraded to a criminal investigation and it doesn't sound like he may escape this one. He has been investigated several other times for similar issues with travel and gifts but nothing has stuck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/w...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

House Republicans are planning to propose a bill that would either reduce funding for or completely defund the UN depending on what the final language in the bill is. As you might guess this is just because of the UN Israel resolution which ultimately means nothing. Some GOP House members are outright threatening the UN that they will defund the organization if they don't remove that resolution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How is that bad for Corbyn?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They keep trying to challenge Corbyn for leadership and falling right on their face

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wait so he pulled a Nixon? Of course he did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sinteres posted:

So this seems like a pretty big deal. Fatah and Hamas met in Moscow and agreed to form a unity government.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/fatah-hamas-form-unity-government-170118031339203.html
This will probably lead to Bibi and Co trying to claim that further Israeli oppression is the result of Fatah working with Hamas again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Yeah. It's hard for me to get excited about anything that gives Hamas a platform, and it seems like a risky move for the PA, but honestly I don't think Israel has given them much choice since the status quo is loving horrible.
I'm no fan of Hamas but at this point, with an incoming American administration that is ready to side with Israeli hardliners even more than before, and nothing else really going on, this is when you start to take these risks because as mentioned the status quo is unacceptable.