Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Uh if I remember it, sure. I haven't even played Leon B yet :X (did finish ClaireA for the test playthrough though so there hopefully won't be a bunch of aimless wandering).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Lady Naga posted:

Uh if I remember it, sure. I haven't even played Leon B yet :X (did finish ClaireA for the test playthrough though so there hopefully won't be a bunch of aimless wandering).

Oh, dang. Well if you've already finished the playthrough you won't be able to get in there as Leon unless you registered your fingerprint with Claire.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also I've been meaning to say that everyone always seem to hate the bow gun and I don't know why. You actually do get a ton of ammo for it if you treat it as something for regular zombies. You get 5 shots from the bow you can get from the gun store owner, 6 shots from bow you get in the shack below the helicopter, a reload of 12 shots in the evidence room, and the 12 shots you picked up in the weapons room. I don't remember if you get more later but as you noted if all 3 bolts hit that will kill the zombie so that's a fair number of dead zombies. It's not too different from the shotgun in RE1.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Oh, dang. Well if you've already finished the playthrough you won't be able to get in there as Leon unless you registered your fingerprint with Claire.

No no no, I finished it in a test playthrough. As in, I played the game off camera to make sure that I know what I'm doing. We're not doing post commentary or anything.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Ohhhh. Well I think I remember you saying you only beat RE2 once, so I'll give you a refresher before you get there just in case. It's a two-part process, you have to first register your fingerprint on the computer in the room with the giant moth, and then go back upstairs (East Area--blue catwalk, on the side opposite the freezer) and input your fingerprint on another console by the big double door.

Once you've done that with Claire and Leon, you gain access to the room. And since you took it with Claire, a second SMG for Leon!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah I skipped it during the test run I did today, but I realized that I'd probably need it for Leon so I'll do it when we actually get to that part.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cutting these videos is a lot harder when there's so many drat cutscenes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11DKsWA-KzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv_zIZp2a8

:filez:
Sewer Manager Fax
Sewer Manager Diary

Please let me know if I'm skipping any files or not putting them in the right places.

Also Vento Aurero means Golden Wind goddamn it I should know this :negative:

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

aaaaaaa you missed the acid rounds in the torture chamber! I didn't say anything before because I thought you were going to grab them on the way to the boss fight.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There's never a situation where we'd need them so shove off, nerd :kamina:

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

You'll be missing me and my acid rounds at the final boss. :smug:

Also while it's never happened to me, my dad's old strategy guide said that cockroaches could instantly kill you with a swarm of 5+. I wouldn't know because I've never sat around long enough to find out, and I mean... who would?

That same strategy guide also told me the Spark Shot was total garbage and not even worth using, which yeah, I agree with for the most part. On the other hand, it's fine for poo poo enemies like zombies since you won't be using up handgun ammo and you probably won't be using it on bosses either because the recoil animation takes loving forever. I've done it myself just to see how it was, but this is actually probably the first time I've seen (or will eventually see) someone use it on this boss on purpose.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah it's not a particularly difficult boss, we already have it lying around and I'd be remiss to not show off every weapon that we get so no harm done in zapping the heck out of Birkin with it.

We also already beat the final boss and just machinegunned the hell out of it :ssh:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Now seems like a good time to ask, what do you, Lady Naga and friends think of the Resident Evil films, good, bad, or abominations unto the lord, or something else, myself I've only watched the first 3, which I thought were alright, nothing amazing but not the worst video game films out there.

Alice is a total mary sue type character though, she can do no wrong and is always better than every game character.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

We also already beat the final boss and just machinegunned the hell out of it :ssh:

That's how my dad and I did it before I knew where all the ammo drops were.

As a borderline obsessive fan of the series, the movies put my jimmies into maximum overrustle. I understand not everything can be adapted to the big screen. We've seen this numerous times with other video game movies. Changes happen. I could deal with the fiddling they had to do for first movie, but everything after is such a bastardization of the source material for the sole reason of putting more butts in seats. Everything took a sharp tumble downhill after a wound from a Licker turned the last surviving good guy into Nemesis. A concept so ridiculously bizarre to anyone who knows the process Umbrella had to go through to engineer Nemesis in the first place. Years of viral research on Lisa Trevor combined with extensive research on Tyrants.

And then there's Alice.

Alice is quite possibly the worst Mary Sue I've ever encountered in any sort of media and things have gone off the rails so badly by this point that it is literally a movie series about bad fanfiction. Alice literally makes the canon characters look like incompetent assholes. That is just about the textbook definition of bad fanfiction. George Romero's unused script was miles and miles ahead of any of the garbage Paul WS Anderson has put out.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 31, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well Milla Jovovich IS married to Anderson soooooo

Also I liked the first movie and thought the second one was interesting since Jill actually seemed quite competent but, as is normal in the movies, Alice outperformed her every time. Which movie takes the Chris and Sheva vs. Wesker and Jill cutscene and makes it look sillier and stupider than the game counterpart?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You use the valve handle to stop the sewer fan by the way, but unless you need to hit the item box before the sewers there's no point as the other exit leads right to the panel you use the medals at, and you can avoid the zombies that spawn which could end up taking longer than the technically longer path.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

well Milla Jovovich IS married to Anderson soooooo

I've long suspected that was the reason for this hot mess. FFS, one person has already died working on the newest one and another has had their face degloved and been put into a coma because of this travesty. Because of I think motorcycle stunts? Never would have happened if they'd stuck to the source material.

Aces High posted:

Also I liked the first movie and thought the second one was interesting since Jill actually seemed quite competent but, as is normal in the movies, Alice outperformed her every time. Which movie takes the Chris and Sheva vs. Wesker and Jill cutscene and makes it look sillier and stupider than the game counterpart?

Does Sheva even exist in the 'Andersonverse?' I know Claire has been used in ways completely unrelated to her character. I think maybe she even died or something? I haven't watched anything beyond the second movie and I don't intend to, either.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Sounds even worse than the second Mortal Kombat movie.

You know, I actually have the N64 version of RE2, though I've not played it (it's a long story). In what ways is it superior to the Playstation version, Naga?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The graffix are better if you have the expansion pack that gives the N64 more RAM (just the realtime stuff, the backgrounds are still the same size) and it has some other goodies like a mode that randomizes item spawn locations, the option to change blood colours and some extra files from the other games to give context to people who hadn't played any of the others. The big thing of course is that it's one cartridge instead of two CDs so swapping between both Leon's and Claire's scenarios is a lot easier. The pre-rendered cutscenes are worse though and like I said the audio sucks. They also re-use Claire's "talking to Anette" cutscene for Leon's scenario.

Tracking the differences between all the ports for 2 and 3 is something of a nightmare (for example, the PC and Dreamcast version have higher-resolution prerendered images, but the GameCube version doesn't, but the GameCube version has other graphical advantages.) Basically all you need to know is that the GameCube versions are probably the ones you want on a console, and if you can track down the Sourcenext versions of them they're worth playing.

As far as the movies go, some are funny bad and some are boring bad but they're all bad in one way or another. The first one puts me to sleep and they don't start getting really funny-ridiculous until Extinction or whatever. Originally we were going to do a rifftrax-style thing for the first movie but it's so dull I have no idea what kind of jokes we could write about it.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 31, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh Christ, you're spoiling us with too many updates! How can I be a pedantic sperglord remembering trivial facts and figures if I can't even remember what happens from part to part?

Regarding the movies, I'll say this much: they are poo poo, and not just because they go and take a big ol' piss on the source material every 10 minutes. I can actually tolerate most of the first one, but anything after that is just made of so much "wtf get this poo poo out of here" territory. And then they killed Barry for gently caress's sake.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sorry! We finally got a decent recording schedule! I didn't expect any RESuperfans but the plan was two a day for as long as we can so we're not doing this for three years.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Pls don't slow down, I love the fast updates. They're like delicious butterscotch brownies to me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh I don't plan on it, I crave attention and whenever I update it's like a carrot in front of all you horses to provide me with more praise and mentions.

I mean- gently caress...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just love RE so seeing constant updates, it's almost like I am playing the games as well :)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you guys going to play the N64 version of resi evil 2?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nah, no point. Aside from the bonus stuff it's the exact same game, plus I'd have to beat it again to get Leon B :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tofu Survivor posted:

That's how my dad and I did it before I knew where all the ammo drops were.

As a borderline obsessive fan of the series, the movies put my jimmies into maximum overrustle. I understand not everything can be adapted to the big screen. We've seen this numerous times with other video game movies. Changes happen. I could deal with the fiddling they had to do for first movie, but everything after is such a bastardization of the source material for the sole reason of putting more butts in seats. Everything took a sharp tumble downhill after a wound from a Licker turned the last surviving good guy into Nemesis. A concept so ridiculously bizarre to anyone who knows the process Umbrella had to go through to engineer Nemesis in the first place. Years of viral research on Lisa Trevor combined with extensive research on Tyrants.

And then there's Alice.

Alice is quite possibly the worst Mary Sue I've ever encountered in any sort of media and things have gone off the rails so badly by this point that it is literally a movie series about bad fanfiction. Alice literally makes the canon characters look like incompetent assholes. That is just about the textbook definition of bad fanfiction. George Romero's unused script was miles and miles ahead of any of the garbage Paul WS Anderson has put out.

I've only seen the first two films, but I was under the distinct impression that Nemmy was made with a lot more work than just "result of a Licker wound". Like, a ton of surgeries and gene therapies and stuff.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I think the Licker Scratch started off the initial mutations and Umbrella did the rest.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

Happy New Year, REthread! May 2016 give us CGI Xenomorph knockoffs and maybe a decent Resident Evil installment! (One of these is more likely than the other)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1KKtakwh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM1LrJqcXlM

:filez:
Lab Security Manual
P-Epsilon Gas Report
User Registration
Vaccine Synthesis

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's lab escape time, everyone sing along:

"Repeat: all employees proceed to the bottom platform"

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I can't remember if it's explained by Annette, but it's in these videos that we really see what the G-Virus is all about. Birkin is in control for the most part when he first mutates, and you can see that apart from the mutation where he was shot (which is a result of the G-Virus reanimating damaged tissue) he's still mostly human. Once you encounter him on the turntable, you see the G-Virus starting to take over as it pushes his head aside into his chest cavity and forms its own head. It's evident in the sounds it starts making, from that sort of pained and angry screaming to inhuman hisses and howls. From there it's a steady spiral downward as the additional injuries inflicted on it by you the player cause additional mutations to repair the tissue. What you end up with by the end of the game is... well, I won't spoil it, but it's really the only natural outcome if you consider how much damage you're dealing to it.

You totally should have used the weapon that is really powerful, especially against living things acid rounds you had left over. They would've made short work of the super lickers, though I imagine you were holding on to them just in case the SMG didn't cut it against Birkin. Ah well, spilled milk and all that. All of Leon's weapons are amazing, at least. They either have knockback or they're so drat strong they kill minor enemies in one shot.

"We only got a B ranking, that's bull."

Because you used first aid sprayyyyyyys. Rank is determined by time (sub-2.5 hours for A) and FAS use (zero allowed) and I don't think saving is a factor here, but I could be wrong. CV adds amount of saves to the list, I know that much. You're only allowed one save, and that's at the point where you have to switch discs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Fair enough, I can never remember which games count FASes and which ones don't; especially the ones that don't have the usage number on the stats screen. Seems like we're not gonna get an A rank for any of the "traditional" games then, I forgot how unforgiving the ranking systems were (especially compared to modern ones where S or A ranks basically mean "you weren't a complete moron").

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Depending on when the Remake of 2 arrives, you may get to LP that in this thread by the time you've worked through all the games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think they were projecting for a 2017 release but we'll see how that pans out, it really depends on the scope and complexity of the project and I'm expecting a delay or two.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Fair enough, I can never remember which games count FASes and which ones don't; especially the ones that don't have the usage number on the stats screen. Seems like we're not gonna get an A rank for any of the "traditional" games then, I forgot how unforgiving the ranking systems were (especially compared to modern ones where S or A ranks basically mean "you weren't a complete moron").

I wish games would do away with this loving bullshit in the first place.

It's like, I know I suck. I don't need you judging me when I'm trying to have fun.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the humanity of Birkin makes more sense in Darkside Chronicles because he can still use words in the early mutations and Annette even gets him to stop and try to remember who she is. Of course then she shoots him but hey it's the thought that counts

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

I wish games would do away with this loving bullshit in the first place.

It's like, I know I suck. I don't need you judging me when I'm trying to have fun.

Insane requirements for rankings are what give Platinum games any replayability at all really.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

the humanity of Birkin makes more sense in Darkside Chronicles because he can still use words in the early mutations and Annette even gets him to stop and try to remember who she is. Of course then she shoots him but hey it's the thought that counts

Hell, in 1.5 he used to call Sherry's name.

Edit: Also, some more on the G-Virus for those who are interested. Unlike the T-Virus, the G-Virus is not fluid or aerosol transmissible, so there can be no accidental outbreaks. Infection occurs one of two ways: impregnation or direct injection. Once the G-Virus has control of a host, its primary goal is procreation. As we've seen, a big part of Claire's plot was Birkin hunting down Sherry to impregnate her with an embryo. Well, there's a reason for that. Impregnation is only successful when the host has a similar genetic makeup to the infected. If there is genetic dissonance, the embryo is rejected by the body, resulting in a defected offspring. We see this when Birkin implants Irons with an embryo and it is subsequently rejected by his body, causing the G infant to tear its way free of his chest. This also happens in Outbreak, but I'm not sure as to the canonicity of those events. As the daughter of Birkin, Sherry's body accepts the embryo, which saves her from the grisly death but starts a ticking timer, forcing Claire to procure a vaccine to prevent Sherry from mutating like her father. There's more to this, but we'll have to wait for a later game to see it.

For those who've seen it (and I do recommend it, it's actually very good unlike the live-action films) this is also why the G-infected Curtis Miller relentlessly pursues his sister Angela Miller in the CGI Degeneration film.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 2, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The obligatory self-destruct sequence has been activated, all posters proceed to the bottom platform via the PLATFORM ELEVATER.

Yes, 'elevater'.

One thing that has and always will bother me is Annette's reaction to Claire putting the mutated William down the first time. "You murdered my husband! Well, the shambling mutated mess occupying the body of my husband who has no actual memory of being a human now! I'll never forgive you for defending yourself and my daughter in the face of a violent death!" And then of course she gets eviscerated by the loving thing. Stupid bitch.

But behold, then she sounds like she's praising him for busting her open and wearing her entrails as a wristband! "Oh he's getting so strong, I am so proud! Shame his humanity left long ago just like I said and that I'm a bit dead now because of him, but whatever! luv u wills xoxox!" What the gently caress is wrong with you, Annette?!

Time to put my hat on, it's Sperg Time!

The Bowgun/Sparkshot is terrible!
Nooooo! I love these weapons, the Sparkshot in particular. It's surprisingly decent against all forms of Birkin (unlike the SMG which, although able to get the job done, doesn't really stun him at all and lets him close in all the time) along with any other bosses, and fries packs of those naked zombies effortlessly. In the B Scenario it also gives a certain baldy bastard a huge headache as he attempts to lumber toward you menacingly, which is always nice. The Bowgun on the other hand isn't really a stellar weapon in any way when it comes to bosses (or even Lickers), but it's a much faster way of clearing out zombies compared to the handgun, arguably also more time-efficient than Leon's (basic) Shotgun. And it pins crows to the wall!

Maybe I'm just biased toward Claire's weaponset. It's just so quirky and unique compared to anyone else's.

As for Birkin, you can hit his 'dog' form while he's clambering around above, but it's not worth trying in most cases because he's just bound to be an awkward piece of poo poo and leap constantly to throw your aim off all the time anyway.

Also not really a big issue but I initially cringed when you activated the "pepsi gas" (stupid childhood non-joke which I never found funny but even now I can't leave it alone because I am an idiot). Although for the sake of showing everything off, I suppose it wasn't actually a bad move (not using the gas itself, but rather how it affects the B Scenario).
/endsperg

Tofu Survivor posted:

Because you used first aid sprayyyyyyys. Rank is determined by time (sub-2.5 hours for A) and FAS use (zero allowed) and I don't think saving is a factor here, but I could be wrong. CV adds amount of saves to the list, I know that much. You're only allowed one save, and that's at the point where you have to switch discs.
RE3 also takes saves into account, which is a real bastard if you're going to have one of those days with Nemesis fights and end up with constant dead ends at the clock tower (crap reference, sorry). Yeah... been there a few times, so many in fact that every loving time I get to that point without saving all my *ahem* "skill" abandons me and I just mash buttons hoping I have enough healing items to tank & exchange damage long enough to make him go away.

Edit:
Also felt a slight pang of envy in hearing you mention you having something of a family of gamers. Sure my mother would occasionally attempt to play Donkey Kong Country with me when I was 7, and my father once or twice looked utterly baffled when Super Mario All-Stars was on the telly, but other than that they were too occupied with sports (in his case) or soap operas (for her). Even my sister ended up being more concerned with whatever the gently caress nonsense on TV instead of playing videogames. Very, very disappointing.

Edit 2:
Okay so my uncle was into videogames during the NES and SNES eras but he moved out when I was about 2 and slowly turned into a recluse, much like I have now.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 2, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My uncle on my dad's side was a PC guy and introduced me to great games like Unreal Tournament and not so great games like Redneck Rampage.

He also once burnt a CD with copies of photoshop and video editing software along with some Pop Cap games :3:

While I'm here, can anyone tell me what the hell the zombie is supposed to be grabbing onto on the Playstation cover for RE2?

It looks like a coastline or something but that makes no sense, RE2 takes place nowhere near water.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm going to assume it's a map of Raccoon City, and the Zombie's grasp represents the fact that almost the entire city has joined the ranks of the undead.

• Locked thread