Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What is Gintama?!

I'm glad you asked! Gintama is what I like to call a meta-anime. It knows that it is an anime, and it references this constantly. It's pretty drat funny to be real with ya.

Ok, fine it's funny but what the gently caress is it about?

Well, it's about a lazy guy who does a little as possible?

That's not enough? FINE. Ok, so back when Samurai were still king poo poo aliens came to earth and forced Japan to open itself up to the world, and other worlds. Humans are more or less second class citizens now. Samurai were thrown from power and swords were banned. Gin was a Samurai. Now he works odd jobs so that he can afford to buy the weekly JUMP. There are elements from past, present, and feature Japan and they actually work really well together. Gin has some friends who work with him/follow him. There's a samurai wannabe, an alien girl who is literally Goku but with an umbrella, and there's a giant space dog.

That sounds.... interesting. I guess. Why bother though?

Well, Gintama is funny, well animated, and honestly one of the more unique anime I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the genre is to be honest but the show is self aware, has nice action sequences, and plot arcs are pretty short. I think the longest one I've run across yet is like 5 episodes. There are a TON of side characters and they are all hilarious. Just give it a try dammit.

IT IS ON CRUNCHRYOLL GO WATCH IT YOU GOON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad you're excited OP, but there is already a thread for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714047

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gintama is good, OP

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Strange Quark posted:

I'm glad you're excited OP, but there is already a thread for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714047

gently caress. I browsed around and didn't see one. Thought I would get people to watch it for me! Sorry I'll close now

• Locked thread