Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.web-layers.net/poe/ has a good breakdown on locations an recipes for the upcoming challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Is this poo poo out yet

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

Is this poo poo out yet

20 hours to go.

Also:

Quarl posted:

They count as skeletons within your limit, they don't increase the number of skeletons you can have.

Stacking the Jewel gives you more mages. You always summon mages if you have space in your limit for mages.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I just looked at a page that listed some more detailed info about the challenges for the upcoming league and I didn't actually realize how you get a Kingmaker before.

Expect Soul Takers to hit like 15 exalts this league ahahahaha. On the plus side if you wanna make a support character this is probably the cheapest that Kingmaker will ever get. Also expect people to sell 15 quality chance to ignites for 30 chaos.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ultima66 posted:

I just looked at a page that listed some more detailed info about the challenges for the upcoming league and I didn't actually realize how you get a Kingmaker before.

Expect Soul Takers to hit like 15 exalts this league ahahahaha. On the plus side if you wanna make a support character this is probably the cheapest that Kingmaker will ever get. Also expect people to sell 15 quality chance to ignites for 30 chaos.

I don't think so honestly. Its part of one of the hardest challenges in the league, and you only need 28/32 completed to get the full set of armor. Plus I think its usefulness will drop a bit with leech changes on the tree and mana per level increases.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Vasudus posted:

Crit Staff Ice Crash is very good. I had one in Warbands and it was a ton of fun and very powerful. Your endgame weapon (Hegemony's Era) is very expensive though, FYI.
How expensive is it in normal leagues? 10+ ex?

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

These are the two I've came up with so far:
http://poeurl.com/tqq - BM IR with Energised Armour for about ~240% increased defences
http://poeurl.com/tET - Basically identical damage and HP but mana based and with MoM

Can't decide which one to do though. Both are around 200% life. For context the most damage you could realistically get from trap nodes prepatch was 140ish%. Plus the 76% or so Elemental from Shadow start, 28% for a chosen element and a bit of spell damage for like 260% total . Now you can get 281% from trap nodes plus 20% more throwing speed and 100% trigger radius and the 108% Ele and a bit of Spell damage so you're looking at around 400% in total. No room for crit though. In the previous patch my Lightning Trap was getting around 8k per projectile with LT - Multi - Trap and Mine - Chain, which is the best combo for clearing and the more enemies in a group the quicker they die. Single target can be bad early but the best thing I've found is just Fire Trap and Bear Trap, the Trap gem isn't worth it imo. I'm hoping the BM IR one will solve the trapper defence problems but worried about only 1.8% life regen and losing HP because the traps get up to 100 mana per throw at like level 17. Probably not worth doing an EE Trapper until the patch after with the new cold trap and cluster traps.
Thanks sir! Have you had much success with trappers before?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I've played exclusively hardcore since the early days of Diablo 2, and I think there's a certain mindset that you have to have. It's not "trying never to die", it's "seeing how far you can get until you die", a subtle but important difference.

The make or break point for being a hc player is your first death. That first death, or first death of a fairly well advanced character, is a toughie and I'd guess it's where most people nope out of hardcore. If you can deal with that one, it becomes much easier to accept future deaths. And after awhile, softcore seems kind of pointless by comparison.

For me it took 2 or 3 deaths. And then 4-5 deaths in diablo 3 before I was like "Nope I want to actually see end game in a arpg and not be murdered by bad internet or bosses that can one shot you. Or be forced to roll a spec thats boring as gently caress to play but I can get really far with it."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Some quick experimentation shows it's not too hard to get three of these for a witch. You need to sacrifice five passive points on dead-end Intelligence points to do so, which seems reasonable if the mages are actually cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I tried this game soon after it's release (well, I can't remember when, but the last thing I remember is that Act 3 just kind of ended randomly halfway through), and I'm really impressed by how much everything has improved.

I've been trying this build (Flameblast + Flame Totem with Blood Magic, ultimately converting all Fire Damage to Chaos Damage) and it's gotten me well into Act 3 Merciless, and I find it pretty fun. So then, I randomly got an exalted orb drop! Sweet! I used it to buy The Consuming Dark, which converts 75% of fire damage to chaos damage. I was particularly low on dex at the time (so I couldn't equip it right away) and my inventory was cluttered... and in the process of sorting stuff and clearing stuff out I accidentally vendored my shiny new unique. :thumbsup:

Is this like a rite of passage for PoE noobs? Someone please tell me it's happened to them too and that I'm not just incredibly stupid.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Holy poo poo no. I've never vendored an ex+ unique by accident or otherwise.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I think I may have sold off my item quantity gems last night, but I don't really care enough to check and make sure.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

Rakeris posted:

How expensive is it in normal leagues? 10+ ex?

It's not that bad, I'd guess 2-3ex shortly into the league for a decent one. Especially because not many people will be playing it next league. Just make sure you use curse on hit flicker, it completely makes the build.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Martman posted:

I tried this game soon after it's release (well, I can't remember when, but the last thing I remember is that Act 3 just kind of ended randomly halfway through), and I'm really impressed by how much everything has improved.

I've been trying this build (Flameblast + Flame Totem with Blood Magic, ultimately converting all Fire Damage to Chaos Damage) and it's gotten me well into Act 3 Merciless, and I find it pretty fun. So then, I randomly got an exalted orb drop! Sweet! I used it to buy The Consuming Dark, which converts 75% of fire damage to chaos damage. I was particularly low on dex at the time (so I couldn't equip it right away) and my inventory was cluttered... and in the process of sorting stuff and clearing stuff out I accidentally vendored my shiny new unique. :thumbsup:

Is this like a rite of passage for PoE noobs? Someone please tell me it's happened to them too and that I'm not just incredibly stupid.

the worse i have done is maybe wast too many jewelers/chromes/fusings when I should have stopped.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Holyshoot posted:

the worse i have done is maybe wast too many jewelers/chromes/fusings when I should have stopped.

I scoured a 5L 400 pdps harb in the 1.3 days. It was about 15-25ex value lost.

I'm pretty sure I've made many mistakes in poe worse than anyone else in the guild. I am not good at video games.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

funmanguy posted:

I scoured a 5L 400 pdps harb in the 1.3 days. It was about 15-25ex value lost.

I'm pretty sure I've made many mistakes in poe worse than anyone else in the guild. I am not good at video games.

Holy poo poo, that blows. How did you manage to do that?

TheRat posted:

I fought a dog. Dont fight dogs.
Village Ruin? That dog is a murderer, straight up one shotted me through like 25k armor and 7500 hp when he was enraged. Learned that lesson real fast.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I fought a dog. Dont fight dogs.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Bugsy posted:

I think I may have sold off my item quantity gems last night, but I don't really care enough to check and make sure.

Don't those not exist anymore?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Old ones exist as legacy on standard/hardcore.

Mystery Prize posted:

Village Ruin? That dog is a murderer, straight up one shotted me through like 25k armor and 7500 hp when he was enraged. Learned that lesson real fast.

Yeah, he's the one that ended my top10 ambitions in tempest. Was my own fault though. I specifically told the guy I was running with that I was low on flask charges and that my endurance charges dropped, but I chose to go in anyway and got charged and bled to death in half a second.

In summary:

TheRat posted:

This is basically the first lesson of HC. Dont think. Know. And never fight anything remotely dangerous without flask charges.

I didnt follow my own advice.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah i got a bunch of them in different qualities and not a single one level 20 because i just dont play this stupid game enough to ever level any gem to 20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
When returning to POE after a year or so, I chromed a Voll's Protector without thinking to try out a slightly different combination, then had to spend hundreds of chromes trying to get the original back. Had forgotten that there was a good reason for the original to begin with.

(eventually a goon just gave me one that already had the combo)

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 11, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you're going to play HC, you must accept the fact that you're going to die. And it's usually because you did someting really, really dumb. There's plenty of (hilarious) examples of very experienced and skilled streamers dying to the dumbest poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9i7i7LHmL0

I've played 3 HC leagues since Bloodlines, but I'm going SC this league because I don't feel like spending as much time as I did back then. The first league I died at least 15 times, and most of the deaths were before I hit maps. The next two leagues went a lot better but I still died plenty. Overall I think I've died at least 3 times because I was typing something in guild chat while stray mobs were killing me faster than I expected. Strongboxes are extremely lethal and you'll learn with experience to treat them with respect. An unlucky crit in a dangerous map from the likes of even 1 white Bone Colossus can bring you close to death, if not outright kill you depending on your defenses.

Whenever I died I would usually stare at my screen for a minute, then immediately reroll. Most HC players I know of do more or less the same.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Ekster posted:

Whenever I died I would usually stare at my screen for a minute, then immediately reroll. Most HC players I know of do more or less the same.

Pretty much this. The only times I get genuinely annoyed at HC deaths is when they are (mostly) outside my control; I lost a dude last league because I dc'ed while running out of Merc Voll's ground smash thing. Alt F4'ed the second I noticed, but still too late :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ABombpk posted:

Thanks sir! Have you had much success with trappers before?

I've been playing them since traps were put in pretty much, much prefer it to self casting. I always found using fire trap for your aoe kind of boring though. The lighting trap buff made it better for clearing and its way more fun exploding the screen and firing 40 projectiles out. If a boss is in a middle of the pack you can actually do loads of damage as well if you get good chains. Fire trap is better for single target now. You only need a 3 link (FT - Conc - Trap&Mine Damage) and if you get an ignite or crit it does insane damage. I've played a few up to 85 where I've gotten complacent and died because trapper defences suck or just moved on to something else. I'm hoping this BM IR build with the Energised Armour jewel will change that though and I might even get the Duelist endurance charge plus the bandit one, should be much better with the tree damage buffs and I'm sick of crit as well anyway

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

I'm thinking crit shock nova with fcr/aoe/lit.pen/echo, herald of ice/thunder, aurified ele weakness and rear end mark, EB + ZO with an Arc + LL/echo/lit.pen for ES regen against curse immune mobs. I have no plan for reflect other than use a topaz flask and div distillate with flask effect nodes to get 93% lit resist. This is probably where it will fall apart.

edit: Wait, my math was wrong, I can hit 96% lit resist ideally. Will that be enough to mitigate reflect enough?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 11, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I picked a lousy day to actually wake up before noon. This is going to be a long wait

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

nightwisher posted:

If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

I'm thinking crit shock nova with fcr/aoe/lit.pen/echo, herald of ice/thunder, aurified ele weakness and rear end mark, EB + ZO with an Arc + LL/echo/lit.pen for ES regen against curse immune mobs. I have no plan for reflect other than use a topaz flask and div distillate with flask effect nodes to get 93% lit resist. This is probably where it will fall apart.

edit: Wait, my math was wrong, I can hit 96% lit resist ideally. Will that be enough to mitigate reflect enough?

Reflect wasn't an issue for my crit shock nova as long as I used my topaz flask on time. I didn't use three dragons but I did get a call of the brotherhood ring (it was about 1-1.5 ex in darkshrine), which adds a lot of safety due to freezing mobs all the time and some extra clear speed with HoI.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 11, 2015

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Gibbo posted:

I picked a lousy day to actually wake up before noon. This is going to be a long wait

I'm working from home today and I've been up since 6am. I have conference calls most of the day.

http://i.imgur.com/6yB3QZa.gifv <- this has been me all morning.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

Holy poo poo, that blows. How did you manage to do that?

I was tired, and I had just crafted that bow to replace my then current bow. Went to scour the old one to try crafting it again and whoops.

The value lost is pretty insignificant now, at least on standard I am fairly well off. But at the time it made me pretty angry for about 30 seconds, then I just started laughing and went on with my day.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh also, if you are new or coming back from a bit of time away. If you aren't 100% sure about doing something, ask in gchat. Some people might be annoyed by silly questions, but they are wrong and dumb and ugly probably. If you are going to use currency on a thing you have, but you aren't sure if you should, ask, and we will try to help.

The main exception is with pricing items in your shop. No one knows how to price things perfectly. And if our advice might be way off, you could lose a lot of currency, or waste a lot of time with an overpriced item. So we probably won't try to help when we may cause more harm than good.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anybody that gets mad at people asking questions can go gently caress themselves. This is one of those easy to learn, hard to master games.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The only things that really get you better at pricing items is to both play a lot to get a feel for items that are generally in demand, and to get used to searching poe trade (or hanging out in the trade channels) to get an idea of what similar items are being priced at at any given point in time.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

I love playing in HC, but my typical gaming partner tends to die significantly earlier than I do, which means I end up in maps on my own while he tries for the rest of the league to catch up. I also have a new coworker who just started playing, and I haven't fully convinced him to give HC a shot yet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I haven't had time to theory craft for poo poo or even look at most of the new info closely. Are there any decent-looking chaos caster trees yet? I really can't decide what I want to do off the bat. Chaos caster, light arrow, crit ice/shock nova, summoner or poison arrow again?

Ideally something relatively gear independent that can stack iir & iiq down the road. Also I'm stuck at work all day today :negative:

Edit: also tempted by ele ST with the leech changes, gotta use that seraph mtx.

Cyclone coc plus the new blade skill sounds interesting too, but I think I'll save that for a second char.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Here's a google spreadsheet of build archtypes ProjectPT created on the right side, with some random builds by other people he's currently reviewing on twitch. Just copy+paste the link in the new Offline PoE Skill Tree and you should have a good idea of what to do.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alrighty I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Yeah I was trying to see what nugi, raiz etc were theory crafting for this league but they were all offline when I was looking around last night

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

nightwisher posted:

Chance to shock isn't affected by Three Dragons at all, as it's independent of damage dealt. The duration of applied status effects (except for ignite) is based on the relevant damage dealt, however. Three Dragons just causes status effects to use different damage types to determine their duration. With Three Dragons, your shock duration is based on the amount of fire damage dealt, so 0 fire damage means 0 shock duration.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

nightwisher posted:

Three Dragons only rotates the element <-> status effect relation by one step. Chance To Freeze/Ignite/Shock still do precisely what their names say, just calculating off a different element.

So your Shock Nova still rolls it's chance to shock whenever it hits, and the duration of that shock is based off however much fire damage the nova does.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ekster posted:

Here's a google spreadsheet of build archtypes ProjectPT created on the right side, with some random builds by other people he's currently reviewing on twitch. Just copy+paste the link in the new Offline PoE Skill Tree and you should have a good idea of what to do.

And if for some reason that list isn't enough build ideas, here's hegemony's list of builds he's come up with too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gibbo posted:

Don't those not exist anymore?

TheRat posted:

Old ones exist as legacy on standard/hardcore.

Yep, in the HC league. I was mass clearing out pages of skill gems that I probably never needed and I think I sold them I can only find one now, and the cheapest they are is 2ex.

• Locked thread