Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

I like the idea of making a summon skeletons dark pact build. Scale minion life and area damage and use minion instability had a big nuke. I am trying to wedge it all into a null's inclination, but that seems farfetched. Even so, nulls would have a 2L and a 4L, 2L is skellies+minion life, 4L is darkpact+some stuff probably. Blast rain or rain of arrows seem like the ideal choices for attack to trigger the gems. Without any jewels with minion life, just with whats in the tree and the gem, level 20 skellies would have about 4511 life. Using a level 20 darkpact would deal 471-571 base chaos damage, and a minion instability hit would be 1488 fire damage.

Alternatively drop nulls and using maligaro's lens and necromantic aegis to make them die easier, and give you some nice life regen. Could even see doing that as a blood magic build and use cwc+wither. Interesting skill.

i want to try dark pact totems hierophant but i cant get all the good ascendancy nodes for totems, mind over matter and the power charge generation :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

i want to try dark pact totems hierophant but i cant get all the good ascendancy nodes for totems, mind over matter and the power charge generation :negative:

generate powercharges with orb of storms

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I hadn't seen Dark Pact before, neat. Did somebody say double Consuming Dark and Vaal RF?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

I hadn't seen Dark Pact before, neat. Did somebody say double Consuming Dark and Vaal RF?

What?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

You get a shitload of life, chaos and area damage on the tree (not to mention Vaal Pact). Self-cast Dark Pact to clear trash, and Vaal RF + poison for bosses.

I'm calling the build Vaal (RF Dark) Pact.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TheRat posted:

generate powercharges with orb of storms

gently caress

how did i forget this

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Everyone working on their own secret doryani fist build? or just me?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

funmanguy posted:

It will never work. Never.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Since we are putting together a new OP, heres a link i found to some good starter builds.

2h Cyclone: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337
bow: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989
Necro Scorching Ray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyn3q_M1as

Of course, all theorycrafting for 3.0 is in the shitter because we have no idea where the balance is gonna shake out, but these seem like a decent place to start.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

funmanguy posted:

Split Arrow RAT Chieftain over here.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Split Arrow RAT Chieftain over here.

split arrow is an unarmed attack now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

funmanguy posted:

split arrow is an unarmed attack now?
Yeah, and it whooshes mighty fine.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Charged Dash Totem Hierophant. When I fail to make it work I'll throw frostbolts in there to farm for my next character.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

doryanis fist dominating blow necromancer, using the glove skill for bosses :sax:

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

funmanguy posted:

Doryani's charged dash, it'll be the elemental version of facebreaker shield charge.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I think I'm gonna start with my first RF build. Nothing new or exciting but it's something I haven't done before :buddy:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm having fun with crit Lightning Tendrils Assassin in the beta, thanks to the power charge/shock changes. :downs:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hey y'all I'm puttin the finishing touches on a new OP but what I really need a hand with is beginner friendly starter builds, preferably with a link to a build guide. I'm trying to put together a small collection of melee, ranged, caster, summoner, etc type starter builds.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

Hey y'all I'm puttin the finishing touches on a new OP but what I really need a hand with is beginner friendly starter builds, preferably with a link to a build guide. I'm trying to put together a small collection of melee, ranged, caster, summoner, etc type starter builds.

Neversink Tornado Shot
Invalesco Frost Blades Ranger
BM+MoM Flame Totem Chieftain
Alkaizer DW Sunder Gladiator

These are all fairly high quality guides that should be doable solo selffound or league starters.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am expecting a lot of DW sunder characters. There are numerous people making guides suggesting it. Can't say I blame them. Anything with a fast attack speed and whirling blades gets bonus points in my book.

Been theorizing glacial cascade sab and essence drain trickster though, because I hate myself.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I am thinking of making my first char a lab farmer. Sunder Jugg a good choice still?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Alright, even tho the lightning bolts from herald of thunder can crit, they won't trigger cast on crit.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
New thread will also need a new subtitle.

Fall of Oriath: No Gods, No Masters

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Ixjuvin posted:

New thread will also need a new subtitle.

Fall of Oriath: No Gods, No Masters

Fall of Oriath: No Gods, No Masters, No Balance

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fall of Oriath: Kaom to me, exile

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TheRat posted:

Neversink Tornado Shot
Invalesco Frost Blades Ranger
BM+MoM Flame Totem Chieftain
Alkaizer DW Sunder Gladiator

These are all fairly high quality guides that should be doable solo selffound or league starters.

Which is the tankiest? I have totally poo poo ping but I guess I'll give it another try with all the new poo poo and better netcode from last time I played 2 years ago.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Washout posted:

Which is the tankiest?
probably the gladiator

flame totem chieftan isnt too squishy and is also super easy to play

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Washout posted:

Which is the tankiest? I have totally poo poo ping but I guess I'll give it another try with all the new poo poo and better netcode from last time I played 2 years ago.

The bottom two are quite a lot tankier than the first two. The frost blades build also turns into CI which will have to be reworked for 3.0.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Washout posted:

The chieftain build will be very tanky. And with the network changes be sure to switch it off of predictive. That will make it so it freezes everything in place when you lag instead of letting you move around and come back to a dead character.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Lechtansi posted:

Fall of Oriath: No Gods, No Masters, No Respecs

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I am 100% doing Doomfletch Inquisitor Totem (probably siege ballista). You don't need a Doomfletch to start with, it starts and scales well, it doesn't really require many uniques other than the bow itself, and the bow is super cheap and easy to get! Hello, any map mod (except ele reflect is annoying).

Or I could do full fire conversion chieftain for fire-immune totems and then I really will be able to do literally any map mod! Then I'd have to worry about resistances instead of crit chance.

Or did they say that they were changing how elemental reflect map mods worked?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Twist And Pout! posted:

And with the network changes be sure to switch it off of predictive. That will make it so it freezes everything in place when you lag instead of letting you move around and come back to a dead character.

It doesnt actually save you though, since it will fast forward to the present once you regain connectivity.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Twist And Pout! posted:

Charged Dash Totem Hierophant. When I fail to make it work I'll throw frostbolts in there to farm for my next character.

That would be exciting, but Charged Dash is an attack, not a spell, so I don't think it'll work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Playing this for the first time. My ranger build doesn't seem very exciting. I've got splitting/piercing lightning arrows to clear packs and pumped up fire arrows for hard single targets. Seems pretty efficient, but I'm wondering if there are any more interesting or active skills to buy or add. I'm in act three and I haven't seen many exciting looking skills.

Excited by the idea of the new expansion. I've always been really turned off by the ARPG cliche of running through the exact same content three times but just having it tougher each time. Sounds like this might mix it up enough for me to keep going. Usually I play these games through with a couple classes on 'normal' and move on to something else.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Try Tornado Shot or Blast Rain perhaps? If you do the Library quest ("A Fixture of Fate") in Act 3 you'll have access to all* of the gems, but mid-way through A3 that'll be it for skill gems, so you've probably seen all the bow skills by now.

*There's a couple gems that are drop-only and some that don't unlock until Act 4. The former you won't be able to buy from him period, the latter you'll have to wait until you unlock them in A4 before he'll sell them

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Seconding Blast Rain, or perhaps Ice Shot. Honestly both is good too - Blast Rain hits in a small area, and with some combination of fork/chain/peirce, Ice Shot will hit the whole screen. Both are pretty flashy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

funmanguy posted:

doryani's fist charged dash-cwc-ball lightning baby

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Phobophilia posted:

doryani's fist charged dash-cwc-ball lightning baby

nah, cast on melee kill arc

or grab a rigwald talisman and crit a lot

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Noper Q posted:

That would be exciting, but Charged Dash is an attack, not a spell, so I don't think it'll work.

I'm crying. Why is lightning dash an attack and fire dash a spell? The world will never know.

Back to the drawing board. The threshold gem vendor in Act 5 really opens up all sorts of fun stuff. Each gem only costs an alch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
How exactly are you supposed to use cast on melee kill? You have to use two links for cast on melee kill and a spell, reducing the damage your melee skill does and causing the spell to have no links (or to take more from the melee skill). Is there something I'm missing or did they just forget to add something like "Spells cast on melee kill deal 300% more damage"?

• Locked thread