Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

YoungSexualNorton posted:

With scorching ray totems, am I reading the wiki correctly that they all work together to create a single debuff stack, at which point all of them separately do max damage? That seems extremely strong on a hierophant. I guess it's probably pretty bad for clearing packs, but it seems like that would melt bosses.

I played triple scorching ray totem Heirophant with EE (through using a 4L orb of storms) last league. It was a great build, got to lvl 92 and easily hit 14k ES and 1k ES regen per second, could farm all of the guardians smoothly. It could not, however, kill Shaper. Everything he does 1-shots the totems, and eventually I would lose the DPS race to vortex balls filling the arena in phase 2 which meant I had nowhere to place totems and nowhere to stand. Maybe it's doable with a lvl 4 empower and lvl 21 scorching ray, but sheesh.

Anyway, the totems clear packs faster than you would expect! I was clearing red maps about as fast as I could place totems > walk > place new totems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Yeah I can see shaper being rough after a while because you'd start running out of places to put the totems. Do you remember what your dps was, either tooltip or on path of building?

I'm pretty sure I only had around 30k tooltip per totem, times three totems. Of course that doesn't count in fire penetration and EE. This was with a lvl 20 gem and a lvl 2 Empower in a chest with no +gems. It took down guardians at a reasonable speed, but yeah it certainly needed to be higher for Shaper.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Well, I got to 30 in hardcore for the first time ever (in the week league thingie). Pretty easy, as long as I play something that has trouble dying, went duelist cleave added fire etc, self found weapons that had enough damage to kill everything.

I suspect I'd not enjoy playing higher level content though. Anything of note I should try to do before the race ends, or is getting to 30 enough to qualify me for the drawing whatever?

Level 30 puts you in the raffle for beta keys and footprints cosmetics. Getting to 50 and 85 just puts you in for more cosmetic stuff.

The higher level content is where most of the fun and challenge is! I would recommend getting to maps and endgame bosses on a softcore league first though, the learning curve never really ends with this game and going through it on hardcore the first time can be pretty discouraging.

I played the 1-week on softcore, doing MoM Hierophant Scorching Ray totems. I'm level 80 and still zero deaths, I guess I should have played hardcore.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

What? Oh, sorry, I've played a bunch, I mean this is the first hc character I've ever done, I have an 84 WI elementalist and a 70 something RF chieftain.

Oh my bad, made a dumb assumption.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

frajaq posted:

he just..pimp slapped my ranger down when he manages to catch me once while I try to deal with his extra buddies I cant

I don't mind learning a boss fight but having to restart the whole thing again is just annoying

even the corpse runs in dark souls were less annoying than this

If Izaro is giving you trouble, just ignore lab for another ten levels and come back when the fight is far beneath your level. I never bother with normal lab until I'm already level 45 or so because it's so much easier with better damage and health pool.

Hell, on my first character of a league I'm usually so focused on leveling and progressing to maps fast that I forget lab even exists until I'm level 60.

Also, this site is really helpful:

whypick1 posted:

If you haven't seen it, https://www.poelab.com has the daily lab layouts/phases. Speeds things up.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

frajaq posted:

It seems the correct way to play is to just rush through all the difficulties, not even using the leaguestones, ignoring the sidequests besides the ones that give you skillpoints or movement speed flask, until you reach the endgame of the map system and getting gear to actually do the tough bosses. Oh and also meticulously plan and theorycraft your build beforehand. Did I get this right?

The "correct" way to play is whichever way you enjoy the most. That said, if your goal is to get to endgame and push the hard content as efficiently as possible, then yes, do these things. Although using the leaguestones you find while leveling is fine to do. Essence ones will help you craft gear on the cheap as you progress.

Filthy Monkey posted:

How are trap builds as starters? I did a static striking warrior in the first round of beta, which was fine, but some of the suggested gear like bringer of rain was in high demand and hard to get. I know totem stuff is popular, but I did a totem build in hardcore about a year ago, and found it was so boring it made me want to hammer nails through my dick.

I feel like Shadow trappers (fire traps, ice traps, or bladefall traps especially) are some of the easiest starter builds, yeah. Very loose on the gearing requirements, though you'll really want a 5-link as soon as possible. It has been a couple leagues since I played one, but nothing super significant has changed since then.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

You can just use deerstalkers, no need for an early 5-6L

Oh yeah, if you're using a spell that needs to be linked to Trap Support like bladefall then Deerstalkers are the perfect early game solution. Fire Trap and Ice Trap want those real links though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

What's the cheesiest ignite build?

In 2.6 live servers with double-dipping? Probably Berserker Vortex with Hrimburn gloves and a bunch of multiplier gems.

In 3.0 beta? Probably crit Flameblast or Detonate Dead with the new Perfect Agony keystone, Unbound Ailments Support, and two Emberwake rings? I'm not sure which ascendancy would be best for it though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Man I feel like I'm loving something up. Went CI on my Frost Blades raider, got some decent jewelry, now I'm up to 8k HP, but the boss of Vault still wrecks me. What am I doing wrong?

My only significant recommendation is to take Power Charge on Crit out of your 6-link and put it in your Orb of Storms links in place of Flame Dash (who needs that when you have whirl?). In PCoC's place should be Cold Penetration, or if you don't want to recolor your 4-off chest, Crit Damage support. You're essentially running a 5L even though you have a 6L, leaving a lot of damage on the table.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Good point. I put the PCoC on the Orb of Storms, and tried out a Crit Damage (good) but I also tried out a Phys to Lightning support, which is really good since it's scaled by all your +phys/+WED gear, and also it gives you shock on crit! Which is basically a free crit damage gem. If I could balance my resists for Wise Oak that'd be real hot, I think

e: the tradeoff is less penetration on bosses which is the real hard part of fblades anyways. hrmm

So the way conversion works is that you can only have 100% total conversion, which you already have from Frost Blades (60% phys to cold) plus the passive tree (Winter Spirit and the node before it for 40% phys to cold). While Phys to Lightning does give you some phys damage as extra lightning damage, the main reason to use it is for conversion. In this case, that main part of the gem just changes some of your cold conversion to lightning conversion instead.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion#Example_calculation

Since you now have 150% conversion, the game scales the values of 100% cold and 50% lightning down to fit 100%, so you're dealing 67% cold and 33% lightning before PtoL's "phys as extra lightning," so it will be closer to 50% lightning in practice. That means your Winter Spirit cold conversion nodes on the tree are essentially only giving you a slightly higher ratio of cold:lightning, and if you dropped them you would still have full ele conversion and 3 extra passives to play with. Either way, you're losing Cold damage by using Phys to Lightning and therefore losing penetration on your single-target from the threshold jewels like you mention, but gaining the ability to shock and some extra lightning damage on top.

If you want to keep using phys to lightning then it would be efficient to drop those 3 nodes and put them into something useful like a jewel socket, or head towards Claws of the Magpie for good phys damage and crazy attack speed. Also, Vessel of Vinktar flask instead of the Atziri flask is a must-have item if you're dealing half lightning damage, especially on a Raider who is immune to the self-shock downside! The leech is immense, as is the guaranteed shock on nearby targets.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

was planning on going righteous fire/scorching ray/cast when channel/flameblast

Just a note, both Scorching Ray and Flameblast are channeled skills, so you can't use one to CwC the other. I've seen lots of people do either with CwC Firestorm though, and it seems to work pretty well.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Penetration and -res from curses stack, but penetration is strictly better per % on bosses because act and map bosses have 60% less curse effectiveness on them, and Shaper and Guardians have 80% less.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Curse#Mechanics

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Anybody have any plans post beta reset? I was thinking either spectral throw raider, or some sort of trapper/miner.

Edit: Something like this still viable in 3.0?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1839087

Life-based ele buzzsaw should still be just as good as it ever has been, yeah. Nothing about it has really been changed or nerfed for 3.0. Unless GGG really swaps some numbers around, I'm predicting that life-based Vaal Pact elemental attack builds will be flavor of the month top-tier boss killers. It's just looking like the best way to get the highest single-target DPS in 3.0.

That said, for the beta reset I'm going to try out Hierophant MoM pure phys quad bladefall totems with Wyrmsign gloves, Illuminated Devotion, and Brutality support. Going to try out all of my silly ideas on beta so that playing a good build for 3.0 feels fresh.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Elentor posted:

I like the idea of level 1 support gems.

:yeah:

The ones on offer at level 1 seem like good introductory supports as well. A new player will really be able to feel their effect compared to their first skill unsupported.

Act 8 feels significantly higher effort than 6 or 7 do, and a lot less like a re-hash of its respective earlier act. Lunaris temple is really drat pretty, as is the bath house.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

I don't think you can use Arcane Surge on a movement skill, unless it's lightning warp (which already needs a 4l to be useable) or Flame Dash

I just tested it on Shield Charge, and it works. 40% more tooltip on my bladefall totems during the arcane surge buff that shield charging around gets me. I can't tell if this is an oversight or just crazy broken, but I'm going to use the hell out of it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Dely Apple posted:

I googled and didn't see anything direct on my idea, but I found a unique wand that supports gems in it with Level 5 Blind. If I put Blasphemy/Flammability linked gem combo in, it's not going to just Blind everyone around when Flammability curse is applied, is it? I guess that's too neat to happen. And I can't fit my Flameblast noncrit totem thing anywhere but my Chest... Would it work on Golems? Eh.

Blind, or any non-curse debuff effect like that, is an "on-hit" effect. Curses and Warcries don't "hit" so they can't apply effects like that. It will work on golems, because golems hit enemies with attacks/spells.

Is that Uber lab in beta right now? Holy crap . . . that's quite a huge change if it stays like that. Oh good, it's just bugged text.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 6, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Noper Q posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know how the new Brutality support works with conversion skills? Does the conversion still happen and then get removed by Brutality, effectively halving your damage? Or does Brutality prevent the conversion, so you do full damage, entirely physical?

Your post made me curious so I tested it on my Hierophant. Unfortunately, it's the first one. Conversion happens no matter what, and then Brutality turns any elemental or chaos damage into a big fat zero, so any skill with built-in conversion would only suffer from Brutality and never benefit.

GC + Spell Totem + conc effect:

GC + Spell Totem + conc effect + Brutality:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

SSD / new install / steam version

Try setting it to Predictive instead of Lockstep and see if things improve (you might get some rubberbanding though).

If that doesn't work, try adding --noasync to your launch options (right click on PoE in Steam library > properties > general > set launch options > paste "--noasync" with no quotes). This will make your load screens longer because the game will load all the assets it needs during zone transitions instead of loading them on the fly during gameplay. Some people get less stuttering during gameplay with this option on. I know it really helped me during Prophecy and Essence leagues when I was having terrible stuttering even on a SSD with 17ms ping, but something they changed made me no longer need it for Breach. Try it out, it might help or it might not.

I hope you find a way to make the game playable!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Stangg posted:

I get the catchup thing and poe has really been hitting my cpu hard recently. With the hot weather recently eventually my computer overheats too much and blue screens. The catchup thing happens a lot more frequently up until that point.
If I open my case and point a fan at it then it barely happens at all and my now cool computer stops blue screening.

Try putting on vsync if you don't have it on. It dropped my GPU temps from 78C to 59C because the game wasn't constantly using 100% of available GPU time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

ugh how do i scale glacial cascade into the lategame as an elementalist? so far i've been using added fire damage and phys to lightning (to proc herald of thunder - coh - assassin's mark) but it's starting to hit a plateau, and i'm not even in yellow maps yet

my other question is: is there a cool ES regen build I could go with occultist?

Go all-in on one element and link the applicable Penetration support, or go crit and stack crit multi, or do both. If you don't want to go crit, make sure you're using Elemental Overload. Those are pretty much your only options for big damage scaling I think.

As for Occultist, either Essence Drain + Contagion, or Blight + Abyssal Cry should work well with lots of ES and Zealot's Oath since those builds can't leech anyway and you get that sweet -20% enemy chaos resist from your ascendancy. Blight really sucks for single-target though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

These days you wear a Wurm's Molt while leveling for the stats, not the leech. I think the last ranger I leveled had to wear one into the 50's because I didn't want to take +30 stat nodes (I ended up having to take them anyway).

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Gyaru posted:

That's really my only problem with this game. When I played around launch you could zoom out more by using cheatengine. Anyone know if that still works and is not really causing bans? I am pretty hyped for oriath but the zoom in...

Even if it did work, you would get banned.

I don't understand the zoom complaints. It feels about the same zoom level as Diablo 2 to me, which is fine. The game is also balanced around the current zoom level. Ranged builds would be even more OP if you could see further. What games are people comparing the zoom level to anyway?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

queeb posted:

is there suppose dto be a big annoucement today or something?

Yes, it will most likely be the reveal of the next temp league, Harbinger league.

They are also going to try and push the MTX update to live servers again today. I really hope it works this time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

funmanguy posted:

So new league on the 4th?

Yeah, whenever there's a new expansion + league they happen simultaneously. All the servers will go down for about 2-3 hours, shortly after they go down the patch goes up (for both standalone and steam clients) so everyone can download it, the new league starts when the servers go back up. There's usually a huge queue to log in but it goes down pretty fast once they open the floodgates. Edit: by "pretty fast," I mean "5 minutes tops."

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm hoping that Dark Pact can be triggered so that I can live out my dream of making a pure chaos damage CoC character. As long as it works, I think Scion Asszerker is probably the pick. It's a bit wonky to get enough life + crit + chaos damage, but looks doable with a vagan dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

How exactly are you supposed to use cast on melee kill? You have to use two links for cast on melee kill and a spell, reducing the damage your melee skill does and causing the spell to have no links (or to take more from the melee skill). Is there something I'm missing or did they just forget to add something like "Spells cast on melee kill deal 300% more damage"?

It used to not have a cooldown, so every melee kill resulted in a cast. These days . . . yeah I don't know why the bothered leaving the gem in the game files if they were going to gut it so hard. I understand it was to prevent abuse cases like Wormblaster, but it's seriously bad now.

• Locked thread